Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,808 members, 7,851,711 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:10 AM

Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 (10365 Views)

Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by richie240: 9:40pm On May 15
There are 37 states (+fct), 774 local govts in nigeria to choose from.
Dont let ur inherent obstinacy allow ur fly die in the wine calabash.

A word is enough for the wise.
cool
Melagros:
COMRADES, sometimes when I see businesses being closed because of some primitive activities I get lost
So, you mean women shouldn't go to the office that day because of a primitive belief that did not help Nigeria in any way
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by richie240: 9:41pm On May 15
Let ur mother and sisters come out during oro first, i wan check something.
cool
CountinBlessins:
Fūck Oro festival, fūck ikorodu, fūck the thugs and touts who run amock during this savage practice angry
If you like the Oro barbarism then fūck you too
angry
Stupid retrogressive practice. On one hand you shout women liberation and empowerment yet you support this trashy gutter nonsensical barbaric practice the encourages the rape and murder of women for stepping outside on a day?

Fūck all supporters and practitioners of Oro
angry
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by richie240: 9:46pm On May 15
Let thrm come out first, we want to check omething.
cool
Zico5:
What of students writing waec? How will they go about it not to move in the day time?
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by countryman13: 9:47pm On May 15
CountinBlessins:

Another one of these street touts grin
These ignorant illiterates are just so many on this forum. angry
These things are turning this website to RTEAN / NURTW website.

They can't speak basic English yet want to engage in topics their coconut heads can't handle .

Fūck these touts angry
What's d big deal about English? Na Ur language?
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Codes151(m): 10:16pm On May 15
fools
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Fujiyama: 11:11pm On May 15
So...

Let's get this straight.

A traditional ruler wrote to the Medical Director of Ikorodu General Hospital to say that all women (patients, employees etc.) connected to the hospital in any way should stay indoors because of a traditional festival.

A hospital. undecided

A place that has nurses, doctors, lab scientists, lab technicians etc. who are women.

A place that at any given time is duty bound to attend to accident victims, emergency ward patients etc. who are women.

A place that attends to pregnant women who have suddenly gone into labour.

A place with employees who swore to a centuries old oath of duty and service that transends anything this traditional ruler can comprehend or dream of.

Even war torn countries try to respect hospitals sometimes. What is all this? undecided Weeks ago, some masquerades in the East flogged a nurse in uniform for riding an okada while the Diokpa festival was going on. Now this? Is it now the turn of the Oro group to roleplay as 'custodians of cultural values'? undecided

Meanwhile...every bus stop in Lagos (Ikorodu inclusive) is held hostage by cultists, loafers and other degenerates who arrogantly demand protection money from bus drivers...money that comes from the fares of law abiding, hard working commuters. And the 'custodians of cultural values' look the other way...or they even actively support this culture of indolence.

And...because they support a culture of sloth they want female doctors and nurses to stay at home idle...in the name of a traditional festival. undecided Who are they fooling?

This country is not ready.
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Atlantis585: 12:19am On May 16
Nonsense tradition. In this 21st century and people are still carrying on with such nonsense? Women will come out and nothing will happen.

2 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Daviestunech(m): 12:54am On May 16
Exousiang01:
They have a right to practice that within their jurisdiction.

We have a similar thing in my place, I wont be happy if you come to my place and disrespect the ways of my ancestors in the name of civilisation.
I wont advice anyone to disrespect another mans way of life.

If you no like their tradition comot from their land.... Simple

We are Africans, we were Africans before the white man came.
No matter how you try to adapt the white mans ways of life, the white man will still identify you as an African, you will never be called a European, if you think I am lying ask the African-Americans, notice that the word "African" came first.....

Being an African with a white mans culture is like a lion who barks.
You lost your identity, you lost your whole point of being.
A man without identity is a man who does not exist

Oga but this people wahala are getting too much.

I'm a core Yoruba man from osun state.

At least from my experience oro is done in the midnight where everyone is already at their respective homes .

Why doing oro in the afternoon when every good Nigerian citizens should be productive or selling their markets.

How do I come about this?

They are currently doing this oro of a stuff at my area now which will last for 9days both in afternoon (11-1)And night

My major concern is by disturbing people business by conducting oro in the afternoon instead of in the midnight when everyone is already at home.

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Imoksp(m): 3:50am On May 16
Daviestunech:

At least from my experience oro is done in the midnight where everyone is already at their respective homes .

Why doing oro in the afternoon when every good Nigerian citizens should be productive or selling their markets.

They are currently doing this oro of a stuff at my area now which will last for 9days both in afternoon (11-1)And night

My major concern is by disturbing people business by conducting oro in the afternoon instead of in the midnight when everyone is already at home.

Where's your area please?
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Halo22: 3:51am On May 16
The problem with some African tradition is that considerate thoughts are not being placed when forming some of them. Think of numerous ladies that might die on that day due to their inability to access some health needs and so on and on. I think some of these unyielding tradition should be scrapped for peaceful and profitable religious cohabitation. So a Christian lady who does not believe in the tradition should also be victimized in the process. That's religious intolerance.

2 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Exousiang01(m): 8:15am On May 16
Daviestunech:

Like I said earlier, the oro festival is an ancient festival, the festival which is annual has been there lonf before those business came, if you are not comfortable with the festival you shouldn't have sitted your business there.

Like I said earlier, every part of this country has its own, why should the Ikorodu people give up their culture just because their community is developed, why should should I give up my culture because an easterner came to town or a northerner came to town.

In my place if you disregard my customes i will be among to youths to deal with you. If you were in your place how would you feel of some folks say they will disregard Oro festival be it day or night.

I still maintain that everyone should respect the customs and culture of their host, we all have similar customes in each of our villages, we wont find its funny if some stranger comes to disrespect the ways of our ancestors
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Belurved1(m): 8:47am On May 16
Alakoba try it, wa a jeyan e nisu
hisexcellency34:
In this age and time? Females should go about their lawful businesses. The police will protect them
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by CorrectionFLuid: 9:35am On May 16
Coldspice:
Lagos is no man's land abi?

Ngozi, If them born una well, make una ladies come out tomorrow.

Be doing yourself. Thinking you're doing others.

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Hotice085: 10:33am On May 16

2 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by atunde: 6:52pm On May 16
We are in digital age💕🍪,this act of barbarism , maladjusted,Kangaroo way of life that ikorodu descendants are living is a nonsense era of the highest darkness.whats called ORO if not the evil of danger on the ikorodu descendants.i pray you wake up from your slumber.
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Daviestunech(m): 8:13pm On May 16
Exousiang01:

Like I said earlier, the oro festival is an ancient festival, the festival which is annual has been there lonf before those business came, if you are not comfortable with the festival you shouldn't have sitted your business there.

Like I said earlier, every part of this country has its own, why should the Ikorodu people give up their culture just because their community is developed, why should should I give up my culture because an easterner came to town or a northerner came to town.
shocked cool

I think you seems not understand my intake on this issues.

Like I said earlier, I'm not against the oro festival..

My major concern is doing the oro in the afternoon where business transactions should be going on .

Traditionally, oro festival is very sacred dat why it's been done at night when people are already fast asleep .

Doing oro in the afternoon not only jeopardize people productivity time, but to me it is not sacred any more because they are some people who will be tempted to peep from their windows if the stuff is going on.

My last take is that oro festival should be done at night not in the afternoon when Nigerian should doing their business.

In my place if you disregard my customes i will be among to youths to deal with you. If you were in your place how would you feel of some folks say they will disregard Oro festival be it day or night.

I still maintain that everyone should respect the customs and culture of their host, we all have similar customes in each of our villages, we wont find its funny if some stranger comes to disrespect the ways of our ancestors
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Daviestunech(m): 8:14pm On May 16
Imoksp:

Where's your area please?

Ijeododo
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Imoksp(m): 11:22pm On May 17
Daviestunech:

Ijeododo
Ok. I don't know that area
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by atunde: 7:18am On May 18
I am saying that ORO is a equivalent to a first class armed robbering of the highest order.where is this called nonsense ORO when there is GOD.stop this barbaric act even irrespective of any day to be done weather in the night or in a day.nonsense way of life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. / Idoma Names And Meaning / Swaziland King Chooses Wife,tests Unclad Girls’ Virginity Openly[Photos,videos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.