Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,542 members, 7,857,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree (34087 Views)

Nnamdi Ezeigbo Bags Doctorate Degree At ABSU Convocation, Face Of Slot Hails Him / Nigerian Girl Earns 6.9 GPA, Becomes First Black Valedictorian In Texas School / UNILAG Denies Conferring Honorary Doctorate Degree On E-money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Kaynnedy(m): 9:28am On May 16
UNIPORT DELAY IN RELEASING GRAGUATING LIST OF 2019/2020 ACADEMIC SESSION (Physics department)

Hello Nairalanders.
I bring to your notice issues bordering on the untold hardship Uniport, Physics department is bringing upon us.

After defending our projects and final exams in the 2019/2020 academic session, four years down the line, the physics department of Uniport headed by Dr. Chad Umoren as the then HOD is yet to release our results and graduating list.

Years after graduation and celebration of our convocation, we cannot move forward or make meaningful progress but rather stagnant and overwhelmed by depression, helplessness and suicide.

After much pressure from student and parents, the only excuse that was given by the department was that the laptop crashed and our exam records cannot be retrieved so they are working on it.

We cannot apply for jobs or be gainfully employed due to not being mobilized for NYSC. Many of us has missed life changing opportunities due to this challenge. Many of us are roaming the streets, many are even depressed. I mean, how do we explain to our parents, sponsors, neighbors well-wishers and even naysayers that we actually fulfilled all academic requirements from the University of Port Harcourt?

Many of our struggling and ailing parents, who, amidst the hardship managed to sponsor us, who wished to see their children graduate have died in their hopelessness.

We fear that if this issue lingers further beyond these four years already wasted in this difficult country and challenging economy, more students will/may commit suicide as there seems to be no hope in sight.

We are using this medium to pray and call on the following:

*The Minister of Education.
*The Senate committee on education.
*The Honorable House and Committee members on education
*Rivers State commissioner of education
*The NUC
Including relevant Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, and other well meaning Nigerians to use their most revered office to intervene immediately and prevail on this lingering issue which has taken years by requesting the vice Chancellor, university of Port Harcourt to intervene immediately and engage Uniport Physics department to resolve this matter as soon as possible in the interest of our future.

Please, we are begging the government and well meaning Nigerians to come to our aid.

Mods, please make our voices heard
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Houseontherock1: 9:28am On May 16
89green:
grin it's not achievable in Nigeria. First is her age and secondly some of those lecturers will frustrate her so as to prevent her from achieving such feat.

Chelsea fans, hope you guys slept well wink
It's a rare feat globally...she's gifted and thankfully she grew up in a society where the gifted and talented are encouraged and allowed to realize their potentials

1 Like

Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Love800(m): 9:29am On May 16
Who social life help?
With your social life, how much dey ur acct?
hoilhuzshi:
We play too much, the parents have ruined her social life for vain glory. Why enroll a 10 year old child in university?
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Love800(m): 9:31am On May 16
Home-schooling for nigeria? When papa and mama dey hustle outside!
iLoveYouToo:

I bet you didn’t read the article. Even in her country this is a feat. Maybe we should give homeschooling a chance in Nigeria and also eradicate the age barriers to admissions
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by qtx(m): 9:34am On May 16
Phd at 17? Rabbish!. Not yet mature enough for the journey. When she grows older she will confess this.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by OgbeniOja1: 9:35am On May 16
Eyaaaa, e pain am.
Abs76:
If she's from Southern part of Nigeria who knows where would you be maybe you could have been a victim of early age prostitution or your parents used you as a debt collateral with one man old enough to be your grandfather
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Fujiyama: 9:37am On May 16
In this clip and a TV interview she lists her grandmother and her mother as role models, sources of support, inspiration etc.

Not a word about a father. Or even a grandfather.

undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:39am On May 16
Love800:
Home-schooling for nigeria? When papa and mama dey hustle outside!

Isn't it same Naija that people hire maids, gardeners, cooks, butlers, chauffers etc?
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by HRMK: 9:40am On May 16
AMAZING!!
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Love800(m): 9:58am On May 16
Okay.

But i thought home-schooling should be done by the parent and not hiring someone?
iLoveYouToo:

Isn't it same Naija that people hire maids, gardeners, cooks, butlers, chauffers etc?
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by ayoplenty: 9:59am On May 16
What next after doctorate?
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by advanceDNA: 10:01am On May 16
SoNature:
They must have skipped several classes for her to be able to achieve that feat. Whenever I see people like this, I always say that book knowledge and in-depth reasoning are not the same thing. Nobody should have a PhD if they aren't up to 25 and above. Congratulations to her!

25?? .....Lol...this guy is funny...

What's the point of wasting time in a class u are way advanced than.....
...it's not a bad idea to skip classes for people that her genius....as long as they get all the relevant certs..

She shaa sdnt jump from home to PhD she got her degree, masters, B4 PhD .....so why stay in a conventional settings like everyone else that needs time and plenty term/semesters to learn basics before understanding advanced
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by femicyrus(m): 10:02am On May 16
Nigerian National assembly and ministry of education must not see this.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Itiskdg121(m): 10:06am On May 16
Very correct.
SoNature:
They must have skipped several classes for her to be able to achieve that feat. Whenever I see people like this, I always say that book knowledge and in-depth reasoning are not the same thing. Nobody should have a PhD if they aren't up to 25 and above. Congratulations to her!
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by femicyrus(m): 10:07am On May 16
qtx:
Phd at 17? Rabbish!. Not yet mature enough for the journey. When she grows older she will confess this.
She will be an academic professor before 20.
You can go and hug transformer.
Nigerian setting had twisted your reasoning ability for you to decode you are living in a backward country.

Even your naira is backward in Africa.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by iLoveYouToo(m): 10:09am On May 16
Love800:
Okay.

But i thought home-schooling should be done by the parent and not hiring someone?

Parents may not have the required skill and experience to tutor the kids and may hire 'hands'. There is a plethora of reasons, one could be to avoid being limited to the learning pace of other students, another could be to avoid toxicity and bullying; reasons abound.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by SoNature(m): 10:11am On May 16
advanceDNA:

25?? .....Lol...this guy is funny...

What's the point of wasting time in a class u are way advanced than.....
...it's not a bad idea to skip classes for people that her genius....as long as they get all the relevant certs..

She shaa sdnt jump from home to PhD she got her degree, masters, B4 PhD .....so why stay in a conventional settings like everyone else that needs time and plenty term/semesters to learn basics before understanding advanced

You don't just go to school to pass exams. You go to school to learn how the world works and how to make informed choices and become a better person. In school curricula, programmes are designed to teach people of certain ages what they ought to know at that age. If you skip classes where you are supposed to be taught what force of gravity is and didn't bother learning about it, you are automatically creating a knowledge gap.

That aside, believe it or not, people's reasoning gets better as they grow older because experiences shape our thought processes. If you doubt me, go back to your primary school books and read what you were taught. You would understand that the question you may want to ask now, your teacher at the time may not even be able to answer it. Just one question can prove a law or theory totally wrong and scientists will gather to get rid of it or modify it. That's just because you think deeper now.

Congratulations to her, but I still strongly believe that people shouldn't earn a PhD if they are below 25.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Jossybj1984(m): 10:12am On May 16
Please I need help I got this tv 42inches inbuilt satellite and DVB but the analogue channels are clear with good pictures but produce white noise have try all my technical know how to navigate the settings but no positiveresults please if you can help my WhatsApp number +2348065058773

Thanks
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Love800(m): 10:14am On May 16
Okay.

Thats cool.
iLoveYouToo:

Parents may not have the required skill and experience to tutor the kids and may hire 'hands'. There is a plethora of reasons, one could be to avoid being limited to the learning pace of other students, another could be to avoid toxicity and bullying; reasons abound.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by EbiJUNIRO(m): 10:15am On May 16
Congratulations 🎉
Another Sheldon Cooper
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by SmartyPants(m): 10:25am On May 16
God1000:
What a remarkable feat.

At the age of 17 in Nigeria, you are still in secondary school preparing for WAEC and NECO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnhbR7taXTs

Same everywhere. She is obviously a global exception.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by wunmi590(m): 10:27am On May 16

And here in Nigeria, some people want our children to start being given university admission at the age if 18years...

Very backward country
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by qtx(m): 10:44am On May 16
femicyrus:

She will be an academic professor before 20.
You can go and hug transformer.
Nigerian setting had twisted your reasoning ability for you to decode you are living in a backward country.

Even your naira is backward in Africa.
FEMI! FEMI!! FEMI!!, how many times did i call you? Why are your types so unstable? I know how you hypocritically canvasses for old men to rule Nigeria when it favours you guys, now you are sounding like there is nothing wrong with a teenager that knows nothing about life holding a PHD in a social science course, not even in a technical or scientific field where less social interaction is required. Now you are talking like you are now an oyibo abi? You can't be whiter than the whites, keep that in mind. Hypocrisy is bad.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by advanceDNA: 10:56am On May 16
SoNature:

You don't just go to school to pass exams. You go to school to learn how the world works and how to make informed choices and become a better person. In school curricula, programmes are designed to teach people of certain ages what they ought to know at that age. If you skip classes where you are supposed to be taught what force of gravity is and didn't bother learning about it, you are automatically creating a knowledge gap.
it's not knowledge gap because some pple can learn in 1 year what will take others 4 4 years to learn...skipping class doesn't mean u skip basics and essentials ...........and u can never finish learning how the world works...it's continuous learning....some don't even learn anything with all their years in school....so u don't have a point ....

SoNature:

That aside, believe it or not, people's reasoning gets better as they grow older
u still don't get...its not the same for others......some pple come with better brains and advanced reasoning right from early age.....why waste their time in conventional settings.. They are a gift to the world...their reasoning should be put to good use....
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Nukilia: 11:06am On May 16
englishmart:
Doctorate at 17 is silly

Says a man from the stone age...

No be dem spoil your matte...
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Nukilia: 11:08am On May 16
qtx:

But a 13 year old girl is good enough as a s*x tool to a former Zamfara State Gogernor.

Staying in the same country with fol[ks like you is a disaster...
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Gentlevip: 11:10am On May 16
Very impressive

A sign of development of a system. Some here are still against her or her feat

1) If you feel she skipped and is underqualified,pls show us your PhD and come to the fields,let's compare your talent with hers

2) if you feel, it's a child abuse to allow a child have a fast feat, then pls keep staying in Nigeria until you grow gray hairs before achieving any feat in your life

She is gifted and she is making good use of her gifts. You are here blazing negative taughts.

Abeg kudos to her achievement. If only we could groom ours better. We all will enjoy
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by alfredfrddy(m): 11:18am On May 16
All this for what? A 17 year old with a Ph.D is still a child for all I care.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by alfredfrddy(m): 11:23am On May 16
Nukilia:

But a 13 year old girl is good enough as a s*x tool to a former Zamfara State Gogernor.

Op has never Oked sex for a 13 year old na. Why you dey accuse am or na em marry as a pedophile? Take it easy. Those men are rapists and use money to overturn laws to suit their aimless dicks. However, a 17 year old is still a child.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by Lilgabby(m): 11:56am On May 16
All of una dey talk nonsense ... Wetin for this life no favor rich man pikin. Anyways, this thread ain't for poor kids to eat and drink water to. Just watch and don't comment. Stop making fool of yourself.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by qtx(m): 1:14pm On May 16
Nukilia:

Did you ask me if i supported the so-called 13 year old girl thing? I think your mental weillbeing is in serious doubt.
Re: Dorothy Jean Tillman: 17-Year-Old Girl Earns Doctorate Degree by histemple: 1:18pm On May 16
englishmart:
Doctorate at 17 is silly

Not just silly but also an abuse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ADVICE: I've Gotten 2 Admissions, Which One Should I Choose? / 2018/2019 Uniabuja Postgraduate Admission Discussions Thread / ASUU Finally Reacts To FG's "No work, No Pay" Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.