Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,836 members, 7,862,746 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:04 AM

CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball (13374 Views)

Remote Controlled Car Delivers Match Ball At Euro 2020 Opening Match (Photos) / Kylian Mbappe Wins Match Ball For Hat-trick Against Barcelona / EFL Plans Guardiola Meeting After Carabao Cup Match-ball Criticism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Joy2dworldxyz: 6:53am On May 18
PlayerMeji:
Someone is coming to drop one lamba against the word OLA now

Make I see your face, e be like say u have tribal marks

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by donproject2(m): 6:53am On May 18
BigIyanga:

Passive aggressive tribalist talking ..OP was actually pointing that ola means jewel in their language…an open-minded person would like to know if ola means something else in Tiv, Efik, Ibibio, Fulani… but no, you doubled down on your cultural ediocy and insular mentality. This is 2024…a closeted bigot is like a citizen of North Korea.

What if the name means something bad in those languages you mentioned, are we still going to be cool with it??

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by irepnaija4eva(m): 6:58am On May 18
Op.. Have you heard of OLACHI before??

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Deogratiasfx: 7:01am On May 18
Ola means Fire in idoma

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Fantasticcc: 7:04am On May 18
Who cares what the useless institution does
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by SMARTMOTORS(m): 7:08am On May 18
IN IGBO IT MEANS "ONE WHO bleeps"

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by MightySparrow: 7:18am On May 18
Bọla, Fashola, Ariwo - ola, Oyinlola,

2 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by MMempire(m): 7:24am On May 18
They can name the next one "EBUN"

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Goodlady(f): 7:35am On May 18
FreeStuffsNG:
“OLA, which means “wealth,” “honour,” and “respect” in Yoruba, was chosen to symbolize the dynamic and energetic nature of African football.

“Embodying the spirit of Africa, Ola’s design is inspired by the continent’s vibrant colours, art, and traditions.”

Awesome!! Most people will now understand why there is OLA in most Yoruba names including the name of our president, HE Asiwaju B OLA Ahmed Tinubu.

Ola is the aspiration of everyone in life.

God bless Ile kaaro ojiire and the Federal Republic of Nigeria ! Check my signature for free stuffs!
Remove that arabic whatever.
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by JASONjnr(m): 7:36am On May 18
This is a foolish thing to come up with.....

We know them alternatively as "SUPER EAGLES" Bring OLA into it and giving a Yoruba and Arabic meaning to it breathes tribalism and I will love to stop giving my support to it.
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Sccarrr: 8:01am On May 18
JASONjnr:
This is a foolish thing to come up with.....

We know them alternatively as "SUPER EAGLES" Bring OLA into it and giving a Yoruba and Arabic meaning to it breathes tribalism and I will love to stop giving my support to it.
Igbo boy, u read d write up?

5 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by JASONjnr(m): 8:06am On May 18
Sccarrr:
Igbo boy, u read d write up?

Does your brain serve you well?

Everyone speaking against bad policies in Nigeria is Igbo while everyone supporting Tinubu is Yoruba or Hausa...

You're a child!
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Victimoftribali: 8:10am On May 18
BigIyanga:

Passive aggressive tribalist talking ..OP was actually pointing that ola means jewel in their language…an open-minded person would like to know if ola means something else in Tiv, Efik, Ibibio, Fulani… but no, you doubled down on your cultural ediocy and insular mentality. This is 2024…a closeted bigot is like a citizen of North Korea.
My thoughts exactly. When I saw the post, I was like o really, I was trying to link the meani f Ola in both Nigerian languages to see areas of similarities, and wondering what other words we share in common, tribalists no go just let us enjoy this forum in peace.

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Sccarrr: 8:12am On May 18
JASONjnr:

Does your brain serve you well?

Everyone speaking against bad policies in Nigeria is Igbo while everyone supporting Tinubu is Yoruba or Hausa...

You're a child!
lunatic, now that your brain seems to be functioning a lil bit ,can u please read the write up?

4 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:12am On May 18
idealogical:

To start with, the story is in plain English and self-explanatory, it has nothing to do with Igbo language or meaning, but as usual, it's impossible to post anything on this forum without injecting igbo into the conversation or turning it into igbo this and that.

If you are looking for a tribalist, look in the mirror.
why not find out the meaning of OLA in igbo
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by OniyideAmplify(m): 8:12am On May 18
Mariangeles:
Just so you know, Ola also means jewel in Igbo language. 💎
Ohh really, first time hearing this.

The name is truly a beautiful one

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Victimoftribali: 8:13am On May 18
Deogratiasfx:
Ola means Fire in idoma
Stuffs that are just okay to post in response to the post, creating an opportunity to learn, but no, tribalists won't have it! And possibly no one can attack this poster because it is not Igbo. Who do us?

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by OriOko88(m): 8:14am On May 18
Mariangeles:
Just so u know, Ola in igbo was not given any reference in the post undecided

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by spartachico(m): 8:15am On May 18
Oya all the OLA in the house say yeah yeah

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by AnambraPikinSel: 8:18am On May 18
Awa Olagrin

Omo we Ola are the real demon

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by CaptainFM1: 8:29am On May 18
Mariangeles:

Ok, CAF has adopted yours too.

2 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by CaptainFM1: 8:32am On May 18
OriOko88:

Just so u know, Ola in igbo was not given any reference in the post undecided

Before you put tribal colouration to it, have you asked yourself what or where is the source of the report?

I'm yet to see any official source!
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by damosky12(m): 8:35am On May 18
Mariangeles:

But why is olaniyi laughed at by igbos. What does it mean?

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by OriOko88(m): 8:39am On May 18
Deogratiasfx:
Ola means Fire in idoma
The post only mentioned ola in Yoruba and Arabic. Caf doesn't care wat tribe bears idoma. undecided

3 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by YorubaLord: 8:42am On May 18
Mariangeles:

Awon werey too dey copy Yoruba for everything... angry

2 Likes

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by LalastiklaIa(m): 8:42am On May 18
Remind me of the 2010 South Africa World Cup. The Ball was named Jabulani. A fantastic high flying ball that most player complained about except Diego Forlan of Uruguay

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by Talkisneeded: 8:51am On May 18
idealogical:

Just so you know, this is the context, the reference point, and what this story is about, it has nothing to do with any igbo word or meaning.

Nairaland I'll forever mount...
There's reply for everything... I sell herbs tho

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by emonis88: 8:54am On May 18
Ola means many things in, different languages not only Yoruba
Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by PHAYOL81: 8:55am On May 18
Wow,that's interesting!

1 Like

Re: CAF Adopts Nigerian Name ‘Ola’ For New Interclub Match Ball by omooba05: 9:04am On May 18
CAF will pay for using my name.. Yoruba Lagba...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Are You Celebrating The Golden Eaglets Victory? / Ademola Lookman Wins Atalanta’s Player Of The Month Award / Man Utd Considering Eriksen And Tielemans As Possible Replacements For Pogba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.