Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,862 members, 7,848,502 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:28 AM

Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding (7913 Views)

Hike: UNIBEN Reduces School Fees After Public Outcry / Lecturer Resorts To Hawking Potatoes To Survive In Uyo (photos) / Video: Senior Lecturer Of UNIZIK Resorts To Gari Production Due To Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by agabusta: 7:55am On May 20
Paraman:
So they no fit apply for prepaid meter for more than 10 years now

So prepaid meter will reduce your bill? Stop being ignorant

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by ObaKlaz: 8:04am On May 20
And when we say UNIBEN, we're talking about both Ugbowo and Ekewan campuses.
Ekewan campus alone is something else! As of when I was an undergrad (2009), everyone was using hot plates, not permitted but you've gotta be smart. I don't know how it is now.
That other dude talking about UNIBEN going off grid at a cost of 3BN clearly knows nothing about UNIBEN, and doesn't know much about solar stuff too.
The university's power consumption is ultra high!

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by armadeo(m): 8:11am On May 20
blackmantis:
With N500m Uniben can go completely off grid with Solar

Have you been to uniben before. That place is a local government on its own.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:25am On May 20
So na nepa light dey make solar battery last?
What of people dat went off-grid completely, u mean their battery nor go last!
Flier:
STop this nonsense! It might take up to 5 Billion naira to power UNIBEN with solar
Solar isn’t affordable.
I spent 430,000 on diesel everyday after they told me solar that can power my factory will cost 350 million
Imagine just 200kva kva factory
Mind you the life circle of solar battery is 2 years
Infact the solar I use at home 4 battery’s with 8 panels
If you don’t see nepa light to charge it Atleast twice a week it won’t last long again.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by emmy9500: 8:26am On May 20
blackmantis:

500M 😂😂, na solar you wan use operate lathe machine ba? You know how many hot plate dey hall 3 😂😂

4 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by ajimo54(m): 8:28am On May 20
BleedingPen:

https://metrowatchonline.com/tariff-hike-uniben-reports-n280m-monthly-bill-from-n80m-resorts-to-load-shedding-metrowatch/

This what we are saying! A university that can not generate its owns electricity, food, water. This is shameful!
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by eezeribe(m): 8:29am On May 20
Flier:
STop this nonsense! It might take up to 5 Billion naira to power UNIBEN with solar
Solar isn’t affordable.
I spent 430,000 on diesel everyday after they told me solar that can power my factory will cost 350 million
If you don’t see nepa light to charge it Atleast twice a week it won’t last long again.

You are right. Most people don't know know that Solar is an over expensive rubbish, I call it look more and see less ..
Funny enough, you will still use NEPA or generator to charge the nonsense, especially in rainy season
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by CheapHomes1: 8:30am On May 20
Paraman:
So they no fit apply for prepaid meter for more than 10 years now

how do you know that they didnt apply for prepaid meter?

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:30am On May 20
So make dem dey buy diesel/fuel!
Scandium:
Let them go off grid.

I believe if they can just close eyes and spend heavily to purchase power plants to power the campus, they may not be able to exhaust Diesel of 1 million naira daily.

1million X 30 days = 30 million naira a month

It is by far better than this light bill of 280 million naira a month that they are giving them. They will even have more stable electricity if they supply their own power themselves. Many large estates in Nigeria is doing it, they are providing power for themselves.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Tijani009: 8:31am On May 20
blackmantis:
Watin you talk Uniben is bigger than some countries just so you know
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:31am On May 20
Batteries last up to 12years!
I have neva heard of it.
klasys:
Original battery last 12 to 15 Years even more, not all this Alaba market battery that flood the country.

You can have power backup & save yourself millions of Naira monthly, it's not necessary you use solar panels from beginning.

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by emmy9500: 8:31am On May 20
Going with this figure that means UNIBEN uses over 1 million KW (1000MW) per month, and over 33MW per day

Who are those clowns that are saying solar…. How much will it take to setup a solar farm generating at least 40MW/day?

P.S 40MW = 40000KW
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Tijani009: 8:33am On May 20
Love800:
So make dem dey buy diesel/fuel!
something inside your head tell you say 100L of diesel go reach uniben a day abi
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:34am On May 20
Pre-paid meters are for house-holds?
JuanDeDios:

I think big users like that don't use prepaid meters. Those are for households.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:35am On May 20
Off grid. So he does not use nepa light?
Greenfaces:

There are batteries that last 25years. People just don't buy them here in Nigeria because if the cost. They're very expensive. Check sacred sun, 2v, 1000ah. I installed it for a client in 2017 and till now he's off grid completely
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Donald7610: 8:37am On May 20
blackmantis:
NA LIE
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:37am On May 20
What do you mean by this?
Good morning.
DJInfluence:
Common sense would dictate that universities, secondary and primary schools as well as hospitals are exempted from the hike in electricity tariffs.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Sam42222: 8:38am On May 20
samsard:
Personally I'd prefer they spread the increase across all bands more proportionately and treat everyone equally. Since this band A matter light in my side has been am apology and they still charge us Band B tariffs
yes ,we I stay within the band A zone in kaduna and we only enjoyed 24hr light for about a month noe is back to normal and the bill are terribly high i use prepaid but ppl who use flatrates in our area pay far above the present minimum wages on light bills

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 8:40am On May 20
I nor understand wetin u type.
Am not mocking you. I really dont understand.
Tijani009:
something inside your head tell you say 100L of diesel go reach uniben a day abi
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Tijani009: 8:45am On May 20
Love800:
I nor understand wetin u type.
Am not mocking you. I really dont understand.
Let me make you understand, I clearly understand your condition , 1 million naira a day is below 100 litters of diesel, do you think it would be enough to power the entire uniben for an hour, I pray u understand because I cannot go below this
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by JuanDeDios: 8:50am On May 20
Love800:
Pre-paid meters are for house-holds?
Tell me how many universities or teaching hospitals or manufacturing companies are on prepaid meters.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by SUPERPACK: 8:56am On May 20
Tijani009:

Let me make you understand, I clearly understand your condition , 1 million naira a day is below 100 litters of diesel, do you think it would be enough to power the entire uniben for an hour, I pray u understand because I cannot go below this
1 million should be about 700 litres of diesel not 100. At 1000 naira a litre a million naira can buy 1000 litres.

3 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by otokx(m): 8:58am On May 20
Those shouting Solar have not experienced the infamous 7 days rain with heavy cloud cover. If UniBen can construct its own Dam or get Gas generators then will it be cheaper. At least they are getting 20 hours minimum power supply but are unable to pay.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by cedricksly: 9:15am On May 20
blackmantis:
500million with both solar and wind turbine can make them go off grid easily..
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 9:17am On May 20
Okay.
Thats what i was still saying sha.
I was trying to tell dat guy, dat buying diesel/fuel and not using nepa will be more expensive.
Tijani009:

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Love800(m): 9:19am On May 20
Okay.
Nice.
I think because of the heavy duty machines/tools they use.
JuanDeDios:

Tell me how many universities or teaching hospitals or manufacturing companies are on prepaid meters.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Tijani009: 9:21am On May 20
SUPERPACK:
1 million should be about 700 litres of diesel not 100. At 1000 naira a litre a million naira can buy 1000 litres.
Okkk uniben have almost 24 he power supply through out close to ten faculty and about 7 hostels not talking about labs , rented stores, that gent wen day hall 4 opposite Coca-Cola buka go swallow 1000 litter of diesel, the solution is to stop the use of hot plates around the hostels

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by tnerro1(m): 9:25am On May 20
Flier:
Solar isn’t affordable.

Those 8 panels are too few to charge ur 4 batteries, I use 4 batteries but have 16 panels and it charges fine. I plan to add two more batteries and 8 more panels to it.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by dangoteinlaw: 9:31am On May 20
blackmantis:
shut up.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by dangoteinlaw: 9:33am On May 20
Flier:
Solar isn’t affordable.
I spend 430,000 on diesel everyday after they told me solar that can power my factory will cost 350 million
don't mind the solar guys pushing those propaganda solar is a huge scam and the installation guys are cashing out hugely from it. Ordinary buld solar will struggle to give you a full emission let alone any appliance.
Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Elsueno: 9:41am On May 20
JuanDeDios:

I think big users like that don't use prepaid meters. Those are for households.

Their is a special meter for all these large places. The reason they mostly refused is, You can't control the staffs from using power anyhow. Reason why it's cheaper to just use estimate OR BETTER yet turn off the power after closing hours & Only back ON the next day around 10-11 am. staff quarters, shops should each have personal meters & pay for thier own power fees to the school

1 Like

Re: Tariff Hike: UNIBEN's Monthly Electrici Bill Rises, Resorts To Load Shedding by Bliztzer: 9:56am On May 20
jmoore:
Are they on estimated billing, postpaid or prepaid?

Secondly, are the hostels included in the bill? If they are, how do you stop students from using electric stove? That appliance is an energy glutton.

Estimated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A.S.U.U Strike Is Over! / Long Awaited Nocen Nsugbe In Affiliation With Unn(b.ed) Post Utme Result Is Out / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.