Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice (2305 Views)

Can A 3.08cgpa Get Admission For Msc Computer Globally / U.k Msc Computer Sci University Of Wolverhampton / Studying For An Msc Degree In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 23, 2011
am leaving my 100 k job for an msc in computer sci from the university of wolverhampton and it come with 9 months work expirence which got me attracted what are my prospect the u.k is looking not very promising guy adviced before i blow up my money
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by temmytanny(m): 3:44pm On Nov 23, 2011
i think you should go for the Msc cos it would help you make quadruple what u earning now by the time u finish. Adjusting to life in UK might be difficult even with the work attached to it but i think its better than 100k job in naija.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by imperiouxx(m): 3:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
@alikote,

Nothing to advice you on because you got no better bargain than this. Enjoy your MS to the fullest.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by DisGuy: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2011
Alikote:

am leaving my 100 k job for an msc in computer sci from the university of wolverhampton and it come with 9 months work expirence which got me attracted what are my prospect the u.k is looking not very promising guy adviced before i blow up my money

Not very promising in terms. . .? of working or in terms of studying? Waht do you really want do there, is your mind on studies or getting part time jobs to support yourself or grad jobs afterwards

Waht does your Work Experience entails?
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by kelz88(f): 6:28pm On Nov 23, 2011
100k will double when you go back to Naija with your updated C.V.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by DisGuy: 6:36pm On Nov 23, 2011
Really? How will it double, you didnt ask him what role or sector he is in right now, and what the competition/compensation is like
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by kelz88(f): 6:50pm On Nov 23, 2011
100k NAIRA not pounds.  That pay is shite.

He goes to the UK, bag a degree PLUS work experience IN THE UK.
If he's lucky he can even get a job in the UK/work permit. Work and earn better pay.

OR

Go back to Naija with a qualification from overseas and work experience.

Sounds like a much better option to me.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by OmoTier1(m): 8:49am On Nov 24, 2011
@OP,
The truth, unless you are very good in your computing stuff, the UK is so much saturated with IT guys that the salary is falling faster than a feather! Yes, doing MSc would be a huge bonus plus an opportunity for international exposure to standard practices in the industry but if I may ask, is there no way of keeping your current job with your employer, with an undertaking of 1year study leave ?

100K Naira a month for real is not upto the amount some of us pay for National Insurance contribution + Taxes for a month! MSc graduate in computing with previous industry work experience in related field attracts decent pay up 25,000pounds per year! Take home monthly pay around 2200pounds for entry graduate! Convert that to Naira
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 24, 2011
thanks guy the truth of the matter is my current job is not any way related to the course i did in the university and is a federal govt job no motivation at all only eye service,yes sir syndrome all this extremely corrupt directors and so on is killing seriously and i studied chemistry in the university and got admitted to the university of Wolverhampton msc computer sci via a pg cert cos i want to launch myself in the i.t career and the course is 24 months plus work base dissertation which really got me interested but got worry after hearing that post study work visas is cancelled and job are scare even in the u.k

1 Like

Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by dayonuel(m): 12:48pm On Nov 24, 2011
hey broda, u hv got 24months to learn the ropes in Uk, U will be just fine as long as u remain focused on ya goals, it does matta whether they cancel the work permit or not. I did d same thing in 2009, left ma 130k paid job for and MBA. though got the 2yrs work permit but back in nigeria workin and havin lotta fun with ma experiences.
i rlly do think it ll be worth it for u, just remember that challenges builds us.

cheers
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Skywalker5(m): 1:20pm On Nov 24, 2011
@ Poster
   Depends on how you market yourself when you graduate and what degree or profession you are in. Dont get that feeling your salary will increase if you go back to Nigeria.I have friends who went back hoping their salary would increase.Did not and came back to UK and luckily they got their IT jobs. It depends if you are happy with your current job,stay. If you are not and you  see no career progression in it,Move,  Like i said it depends on your degree.i know its hard getting a job but it depends on you.Once you get here.Look at what recruiters are looking for in a candidate and make sure you have it before you finish your masters.I cant say much as i dont know your degree.i majored in IT so my advice would be irrelevant if you not in the field
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Skywalker5(m): 1:22pm On Nov 24, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

@OP,
The truth, unless you are very good in your computing stuff, the UK is so much saturated with IT guys that the salary is falling faster than a feather! Yes, doing MSc would be a huge bonus plus an opportunity for international exposure to standard practices in the industry but if I may ask, is there no way of keeping your current job with your employer, with an undertaking of 1year study leave ?

100K Naira a month for real is not upto the amount some of us pay for National Insurance contribution + Taxes for a month! MSc graduate in computing with previous industry work experience in related field attracts decent pay up 25,000pounds per year! Take home monthly pay around 2200pounds for entry graduate! Convert that to Naira

Seems you forgot Tax and cost of living
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 24, 2011
sky walker i studied chemistry in my undergraduate.most young people in govt job in Nigeria are just waiting to loot the funds of the parastala they are in the waiting game go on and it get to Ur turn to loot that's career progression nijia style sycophancy rule and sum time i even forgot i went to school just to please a dump ass old about to retire or die director general
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Skywalker5(m): 2:40pm On Nov 24, 2011
Alikote:

sky walker i studied chemistry in my undergraduate.most young people in govt job in Nigeria are just waiting to loot the funds of the parastala they are in the waiting game go on and it get to your turn to loot that's career progression nijia style sycophancy rule and sum time i even forgot i went to school just to please a dump Bottom old about to retire or die director general

I feel you but you should be careful about the decision you make as it could affect your future. The fact that you work for corrupt leader does not make u a bad person. It seems there is no career progression in that field for you. I don't really know much about chemistry and i don't think there are lot of jobs in UK for that (just my opinion,i could be wrong). The advise i can give you is this.What profession do u want to do? Make research on it if there are jobs available for it here. look at what they require and how you can adjust yourself in getting that. If you cant step up to the mark.its gonna be hard possible.I got my job 6 months ago after 1 year graduating. But there are other job here you can do but dont be tempted of being a rich Guy in uk. You can be comfortable and enjoy the basic things in life which is not in Nigeria or only rich people have. Its a difficult decision for you to make but the choice is yours
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 24, 2011
there is progression in the govt job in nijia ur progress to a director or permant sec in all the million start rolling in from overhead fund ,contract inflation's,esta code but your be 48-55 yrs in age by then and unproductive only agbada cap and how to loot it dishearting
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Skywalker5(m): 4:31pm On Nov 24, 2011
Its up to u to decide. Here too,its not easy to progress.you have to keep on updating yourself and show you better than your colleagues.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by OmoTier1(m): 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2011
Sky-walker:

I thought may post did say "TAKE HOME PAY" , meaning after tax!
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Busybody2(f): 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2011
The tuition fee that you might never be able to raise in 3 years nor forever lipsrsealed
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by dustydee: 5:53pm On Nov 27, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I thought may post did say "TAKE HOME PAY" , meaning after tax!
you mean graduates earn that much in the UK after tax? maybe computing though.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by kadman(m): 9:47pm On Nov 27, 2011
Sky-walker:

Even with that, £400 (100K) would be money he will be saving for rainy days after tax,cost of living, bills and main savings. The truth of the matter is 100K is SMALL !
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by kadman(m): 9:49pm On Nov 27, 2011
Busy_body:

The tuition fee that you might never be able to raise in 3 years nor forever lipsrsealed

Not always true. I've been able to save mine in a year. I do realize all heads are different though and that might not be the care for others

But that's not the way one should view an MSc (education). It's a life long investment that would be useful not just for your 2/3 year stay in UK.
Re: Leaving My 100 K Monthly Job For An Msc Computer Sci In The U.k Guy Advice by Shola2009(m): 10:12pm On Nov 27, 2011
Don't go to the UK.
-Wolves isn't that reputable. You NEED to go someplace reputable,so that chances of employment after your study would be high. Think top 10 UNIs.
-The so called "working experience" you'll get would probably be shyter than your current job,because you currently don't have the skills/expertise necessary to make any notable impact at any huge IT firm. The only the best get internship opportunities with the big firms. Although, you might be a fast learner,it's definitely going to take more than 24 months to display any competitive advantage when compared to other professionals in the industry.
-Would the cost of study + living expenses for 24 months + opportunity foregone while in Nigeria , out-way the benefits you receive after the completion of your studies at wolves?? I don't think so.

Bottom line is . . . if you're going to spend all that time and money on the Msc. make sure its worth your while.

(1) (Reply)

How Is Student Live In Malta? / Ilashe Beach, What's D Cost? / 20 Reasons Why Lagos Is An Amazing Place To Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.