Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,287 members, 7,860,673 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:07 PM

IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. (22766 Views)

CBN Stops IOCs From Remitting 100% Of Forex Proceeds Abroad / Folorunso Alakija’s New N60bn Luxury Tower Ready / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by MEEVEET: 7:28pm On May 20
Blue3k:

Yes and I told you why you're wrong. You said they should 10x tax them if they don't agree to move. I told you they should offer tax cuts to attract companies into the state.

So you didn't see the 20% tax discount I wrote

You work in my state extract resources from my state but operate from another state

Lmaooo ... Na akwa ibom allow them na

Site your company where ever but you see that tax you must pay am else leave my state

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 7:39pm On May 20
ebinpawa:
No pishure? Shior

Promax
who come be shior now?
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Joy2dworldxyz: 7:41pm On May 20
But why?
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by iswallker(m): 7:43pm On May 20
bmasz:

Say what you know.

The question is was Tinapa fully functional during Donald's tenure?

Did I hear a yes?

Did Imoke allegedly fail to ensure continuity by removing the managing firm and substituting it with one of his own for his own for political reasons?

I see you nodding your head?

What happened with Ayade and his band of miscreants that allegedly parried almost all the furnitures in the hotel and surrounding complexes away?

After endSARS was over, the place became less than a shadow of its former self.

It's one thing to have a vision, it is another thing for the next person after you to let your vision survive.

You should not blame the visionary for daring to dream and live their dreams if the next person cannot see the need for such lofty ambitions.

Donald did his best with the time he had. The deterioration of tinapa is as a result of carelessness from his successors.

The question is why is government business dependent on the individual rather than policies and structures of govt.

They simply have to be independent otherwise you will continue to explain .... undecided

Another thing is that no govt worker receives wages that motivates them to run a business for govt.

Running a business is not a 9 to 5 job - it's a 24 hours commitment to make the business profitable ...

That level of commitment is not present in govt....the model will fail...it's a matter of time.. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by edogu(m): 7:49pm On May 20
Forget about the things you read online. If you really want to know what is actually happening in Akwa Ibom, try and interact with the people. That's when you know that some of our leaders are actually wicked. So many white elephant projects, yet the people are living in penury.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Blue3k(m): 7:51pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

So you didn't see the 20% tax discount I wrote

You work in my state extract resources from my state but operate from another state

Lmaooo ... Na akwa ibom allow them na

Site your company where ever but you see that tax you must pay am else leave my state

I still disagree with the fire and brimstone approach. If you think you're going to force them into doing business they can opt to just leave you the state nothing. Your point about tax cuts is noted. Multinational leave everyday and you're just pushing them with 10x tax. If they leave you would blame them and not your policy.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by MEEVEET: 7:55pm On May 20
Blue3k:

I still disagree with the fire and brimstone approach. If you think you're going to force them into doing business they can opt to just leave you the state nothing. Your point about tax cuts is noted. Multinational leave everyday and you're just pushing them with 10x tax. If they leave you would blame them and not your policy.
They are not doing business they are extracting the state resources... Big difference

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by nedekid: 7:55pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

You can make anything functional by pumping enough money into it... Tinapa wad never viable

Nigerians are not rich enough ... The population needed for that business to thrive was not there from the start... It was just government pumping money to it just to save face... It could not sustain itself

Same with Lagos red n blue lines
Lagos I Ibadan rail, Abuja Kaduna rail... Any day government stops funding them they would collapse

There are things you only build when your average income is a minimum of 15000 dollars . Else na just waste of money
Who will in his right senses from Lagos, ogun, imo, abuja etc, carry family inside a camper van, suv, car etc then drive all the way to Tinapa for vacation? Abi tourist from outside the country?
Aside Nigerians having more pressing issues at hand to contend with, what about insecurity that has been on the roads, what about police check points there to harass travellers, God help you if you are a visitor from neighbouring countries eh Ghana ie driving with a foreign number place through our roads to go to Tinapa. You will produce proof of ownership, tinted permit, Nigerian mot, Nigerian particulars, if not you go to Ghana from the check point to go get it while your family remains in the car. Lol

5 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Blue3k(m): 7:56pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

They are not doing business they are extracting the state resources... Big difference

There's no difference. Resource extraction is a business like any other. You're making up arbitrary distinction to justify a foolish punitive tax.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Joey4321: 8:03pm On May 20
OnyeAshuaUru:
It's useless projects as this, which are apparent conduit pipe for milking states' treasury that the dull, weighty-faced governor of Enugu State wants to replicate in the name of "bus terminals" and "smart schools". Dude allocated half of the State's budget to building multi-storeyed classroom halls in a state where public schools are lying comatose, not because of lack of buildings, but because teachers are still being paid -- or rather, owed, 30K per month.
Peter Mba is also demolishing markets and throwing hundreds of small business owners into destitution, not because these businesses broke any law, but because Peter Mba wants to build an almost needless but surely photogenic motor park that will put billions into his and his cronies' pockets.

The last batch of good governors was the Sullivan, Donald duke, Peter obi... Maybe include Fashola's, set.

At least these guys had a little bit of sympathy and put the populace in mind during their planning.

The rest of the governors that followed have been nothing but an embarrassment.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by CorrectionFLuid: 8:07pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

Did u read what I wrote?

As in eh, I tire

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Dijita: 8:09pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

You can make anything functional by pumping enough money into it... Tinapa wad never viable

Nigerians are not rich enough ... The population needed for that business to thrive was not there from the start... It was just government pumping money to it just to save face... It could not sustain itself

Lagos I Ibadan rail, Abuja Kaduna rail... Any day government stops funding them they would collapse

There are things you only build when your average income is a minimum of 15000 dollars . Else na just waste of money
I am only commenting on the rail you mention. Railways are hardly self sustaining in most places except may be in Europe. In US and China they are heavily subsidized

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Oakenshield: 8:12pm On May 20
bmasz:

Say what you know.

Did I hear a yes?

Did Imoke allegedly fail to ensure continuity by removing the managing firm and substituting it with one of his own for his own for political reasons?

What happened with Ayade and his band of miscreants that allegedly parried almost all the furnitures in the hotel and surrounding complexes away?

It's one thing to have a vision, it is another thing for the next person after you to let your vision survive.

You should not blame the visionary for daring to dream and live their dreams if the next person cannot see the need for such lofty ambitions.

Donald did his best with the time he had. The deterioration of tinapa is as a result of carelessness from his successors.

You are absolutely right Inoke and Ayade two biggest mistakes. Duke will be voted 100x if constitution allowed and the state could have been so great

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by michlins(m): 8:14pm On May 20
MEEVEET:

back to the conversation about building the economy through infrastructure. It has never worked,it will not work.

Until the the government starts encouraging SME's and giving priority to small businesses and helping them grow,we will keep building infrastructure that can never break even without government support
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by EBEk101(m): 8:20pm On May 20
LexngtonSteele:
I went to Tinapa in 2008 / 2009 on a Saturday.

My girlfriend was so excited... we were seriously disappointed.

It's a prime example of a white elephant project.

Was deserted shocked Our voices were echoing.

Donald Duke just zapped billions there. So sad.

When you engage in such projects when the people are poor, who was he expecting to make use of the facilities?
Develop your people but they are after eye service
People are praising the Akwa Ibom state government for embarking on projects that wouldn’t even have any impact on it’s people I just laugh, it’s my state but when governance is not reflecting on the people, I will not take such government serious
Development would come on a faster pace when the people are empowered

3 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by soccerlite: 8:22pm On May 20
Irresponsible projects such as this litter each state in nigeria by governors

From motor parks, recreation parks hotels, shopping mall, airport etc

All in the name to corner money

They major in minor

Unfortunately there will be urgent project around that need interventions

What a country

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by onuman: 8:41pm On May 20
IOC'S can be headquartered in Abuja or Lagos that don't produce crude oil and gas because Nigeria is a FALSE & FRAUDULENT FEDERATION.
A country where crude oil is produced in the SS and SE but proceeds from oil and gas mostly spent on arid northern Nigeria; and to some lesser degree, in Lagos.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by PHAYOL81: 8:43pm On May 20
Well the option is open, make the state attractive for investors. IOC mustn't be compelled to move in lest we have a greater issue than TotalEnergies moving their proposed investment for the Nigeria nation into other countries. Such policy would make the entire country lose the FDI altogether.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by COMPAQ(m): 8:46pm On May 20
LexngtonSteele:

It was functional when Duke left. The guy after killed it totally
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by truthhurtsnaira: 8:50pm On May 20
LexngtonSteele:

its not White elephant project…

It’s that the Region at a whole is not supported by FG…. No international airport, no seaport, and on and on..
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Abagworo(m): 8:50pm On May 20
Highrises as office blocks won't work in Nigeria's informal sector driven economy. Most highrises stay empty except they are serving as Secretariat. Most highrises built by State are just status symbols and not for profit making.

3 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by LexngtonSteele: 8:52pm On May 20
truthhurtsnaira:

its not White elephant project…

It’s that the Region at a whole is not supported by FG…. No international airport, no seaport, and on and on..

That's the exact reason it shouldn't have been sited there without all those things in place.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Konquest: 8:52pm On May 20
Blue3k:

Source: https://thewillnews.com/akwa-ibom-21-storey-smart-building-unoccupied-four-years-after-inauguration/

A 21-storey building... The same height as the then tallest building in Nigeria in the 1950s (Cocoa House) but containing smart devices.

The building looks very impressive. Only further Industrialization of Akwa Ibom State would bring in more big ticket investors and multinationals who would then use the building for office spaces.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by MEEVEET: 8:55pm On May 20
Dijita:

I am only commenting on the rail you mention. Railways are hardly self sustaining in most places except may be in Europe. In US and China they are heavily subsidized
Yes but china didn't start building rail lines till 2012 or so

They waited till their economy grew
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by bitbillionaire: 8:59pm On May 20
Brilliant idea here.

MEEVEET:
So a governor believed that if mobil wanted to move to akwa ibom... It's lack of office space that would stop them?

If you want mobil to move to akwa ibom it's simple... Make a law that any company that operates in akwa ibom from outside would pay 10 x the normal Tax

If you have head office in the state u pay 0.8 x tax

Then watch them move or stay either way win win
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Forkthiefnubu: 9:07pm On May 20
We know why it is happening this way , some ppl want it to be in there territory so that the embezzlement can continue while they live in an enclave in the oil producing areas , same ppl who sabotaged the local content , they are in power now and have been in power since 1998 destroying Nigeria beyond belief
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by onuman: 9:14pm On May 20
LexngtonSteele:

Tinapa was well conceved and executed. Then president Olusegun Obasanjo admired Tinapa.

Learn;
all it takes is just one policy from the over-centralised federal government in Abuja, to ground any efforts made by some individuals or members of an ethnic group in Nigeria.
Quota System should tell you that some Nigerian groups want others to SLOW DOWN SO THAT OTHERS CAN CATCH UP.
Akwa Ibom has the largest crude oil reserve offshore but there is no known oil company hqtrs in the whole of Akwa Ibom- stranger than fiction.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by GloriousGbola: 9:20pm On May 20
bmasz:

Say what you know.

Did I hear a yes?

Carelessness - more like visionlessness

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Sirianese: 9:23pm On May 20
Blue3k:

Source: https://thewillnews.com/akwa-ibom-21-storey-smart-building-unoccupied-four-years-after-inauguration/

Why would they move to the middle of nowhere to start struggling with lack of basic support services
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Mckraz01: 9:23pm On May 20
Blue3k:

Abeg they should forget them and rent it to private businesses or even churches instead of allowing it to fallow
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Sirianese: 9:25pm On May 20
onuman:

Tinapa was well conceved and executed. Then president Olusegun Obasanjo admired Tinapa.

Learn;
all it takes is just one policy from the over-centralised federal government in Abuja, to ground any efforts made by some individuals or members of an ethnic group in Nigeria.
Quota System should tell you that some Nigerian groups want others to SLOW DOWN SO THAT OTHERS CAN CATCH UP.
Akwa Ibom has the largest crude oil reserve offshore but there is no known oil company hqtrs in the whole of Akwa Ibom- stranger than fiction.

What of Eket
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Yelight(m): 9:43pm On May 20
bmasz:

Say what you know.

Did I hear a yes?

The country generally lack a raod map, one person can come with a brilliant idea and start implementing it only for the next leader or ruler to abandon it not minding the amount of resources that has gone into it and start his own that his successor to will rubbish and on and on the useless circle continues! What a shame

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forex Speculators From Benin Republic, Ghana, Others Invade Nigeria For Profits / FG Inaugurates Gold Refinery, Boosts Small-scale Mining / Adeduntan Resumes As First Bank CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.