Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,164 members, 7,860,172 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:18 AM

IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. (22764 Views)

CBN Stops IOCs From Remitting 100% Of Forex Proceeds Abroad / Folorunso Alakija’s New N60bn Luxury Tower Ready / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Gajagojo: 9:53pm On May 20
If you are a CEO would you wish to live in Uyo?

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by bmasz(m): 11:17pm On May 20
Yelight:

The country generally lack a raod map, one person can come with a brilliant idea and start implementing it only for the next leader or ruler to abandon it not minding the amount of resources that has gone into it and start his own that his successor to will rubbish and on and on the useless circle continues! What a shame

The country has a roadmap. It is documented as white papers. It just that most successors lack the discipline to stick to it.

Successive governments in Akwa Ibom stuck to Victor Attahs roadmap for the state and you see where they are after so many years.

Like the folks in tech usually say, "don't reinvent the wheels". Stick to what has worked for the other person and build on it

We admire foreign governments because irrespective of who is at the helm of affairs, the blueprint for the country or state would be adhered to.

This does not in anyway stops the incumbent from bringing fresh perspective and ideas to the polity.

Nigeria on paper is supposed to be great, because a plethora of great minds have written documents upon documents detailing how to move her forward.

But as usual, our leaders are too scared to stand on the shoulders of giants who have gone before then.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by bmasz(m): 11:31pm On May 20
LexngtonSteele:
You're just saying YES to yourself.

The place was empty with shops that had NEVER been occupied.

You don't cite projects where they aren't particularly viable.

When I read this particular layer of your argumentation... I begin to really understand where you are coming from.

With all due respect to your person, correct me if I am wrong. I believe you didn't experience Tinapa in its full glory.

Most banks in Nigeria where fully represented on premise. The shops were fully functional.

1. Conferences were being held with those auditoriums.
2. Guests were coming from all over the country to explore.
3. Not mentioning tourist lodging in its 4 star ⭐ hotel.

At atmosphere and all. That place was self funding.

This is not in anyway invalidating your other arguments.

But I believe that even though Tinapa was an ambitious project, the designers projections would have been impeccable if the project had the continuing it deserved.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by LexngtonSteele: 11:34pm On May 20
bmasz:

When I read this particular layer of your argumentation... I begin to really understand where you are coming from.

With all due respect to your person, correct me if I am wrong. I believe you didn't experience Tinapa in its full glory.

Most banks in Nigeria where fully represented on premise. The shops were fully functional.

1. Conferences were being held with those auditoriums.
2. Guests were coming from all over the country to explore.
3. Not mentioning tourist lodging in its 4 star ⭐ hotel.

At atmosphere and all. That place was self funding.

This is not in anyway invalidating your other arguments.

But I believe that even though Tinapa was an ambitious project, the designers projections would have been impeccable if the project had the continuing it deserved.

During which year. Maybe our perspectives might align. What epoch/ era are you talking about ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by favor914: 12:06am On May 21
bmasz:

Say what you know.

The question is was Tinapa fully functional during Donald's tenure?

Did I hear a yes?

Did Imoke allegedly fail to ensure continuity by removing the managing firm and substituting it with one of his own for his own for political reasons?

I see you nodding your head?

What happened with Ayade and his band of miscreants that allegedly parried almost all the furnitures in the hotel and surrounding complexes away?

After endSARS was over, the place became less than a shadow of its former self.

It's one thing to have a vision, it is another thing for the next person after you to let your vision survive.

You should not blame the visionary for daring to dream and live their dreams if the next person cannot see the need for such lofty ambitions.

Donald did his best with the time he had. The deterioration of tinapa is as a result of carelessness from his successors.

Why all these rambling? He said that he went to Tinapa in 2008 / 2009 on a Saturday.

A year and change after duke had left power, & used Cross Rivers state funds to do hair transplant.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Blazebond(m): 12:22am On May 21
Stop their operations in the state and you will see their tone change,this country is a joke.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by MatrixCircle: 12:36am On May 21
Last last as usual different Churches will occupy the building, just like in Aba you will see a 3 storey building with 9 different churches.

White Elephant project.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by masseratti: 3:49am On May 21
T
bmasz:

Say what you know.

The question is was Tinapa fully functional during Donald's tenure?

Did I hear a yes?

Did Imoke allegedly fail to ensure continuity by removing the managing firm and substituting it with one of his own for his own for political reasons?

I see you nodding your head?

What happened with Ayade and his band of miscreants that allegedly parried almost all the furnitures in the hotel and surrounding complexes away?

After endSARS was over, the place became less than a shadow of its former self.

It's one thing to have a vision, it is another thing for the next person after you to let your vision survive.

You should not blame the visionary for daring to dream and live their dreams if the next person cannot see the need for such lofty ambitions.

Donald did his best with the time he had. The deterioration of tinapa is as a result of carelessness from his successors.

that's why we say government has no business doing business,Duke could have incorporated Tinapa sell its shares to cross riverians ,let the shareholders elect a management teams,that would have made the project not to be at the mercy of his successors.business management is not rocket science it's all about doing the right thing.

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Ndipe(m): 5:25am On May 21
14 million dollars for rent is exorbitant. The government should slash the rent to bring in tenants otherwise this impressive edifice may end up being another white elephant project.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Fujiyama: 6:17am On May 21
nedekid:
Who will in his right senses from Lagos, ogun, imo, abuja etc, carry family inside a camper van, suv, car etc then drive all the way to Tinapa for vacation? Abi tourist from outside the country?
Aside Nigerian having more pressing issues at hand to contend with, what about insecurity that has been on the roads, what about police check points there to harass travellers, God help you if you are a visitor from neighbouring countries eh Ghana ie driving with a foreign number place through our roads to go to Tinapa. You will produce proof of ownership, tinted permit, Nigerian mot, Nigerian particulars, if not you go to Ghana from the check point to go get it while your family remains in the car. Lol

^^^
What is so heart breaking about all this is that the investment potential is huge. And its not just Cross River. Nigeria's tourism potential is huge but it won't be realized until the problems you listed are taken care of.

Its a shame, really.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Fujiyama: 6:20am On May 21
Gajagojo:
If you are a CEO would you wish to live in Uyo?

^^^

Why not?

What's wrong with Uyo?
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by djseanjohn77: 6:55am On May 21
MEEVEET:

You can make anything functional by pumping enough money into it... Tinapa wad never viable

Nigerians are not rich enough ... The population needed for that business to thrive was not there from the start... It was just government pumping money to it just to save face... It could not sustain itself

Same with Lagos red n blue lines
Lagos I Ibadan rail, Abuja Kaduna rail... Any day government stops funding them they would collapse

There are things you only build when your average income is a minimum of 15000 dollars . Else na just waste of money

That is where Lagos State will always be ahead....Lagos is self-sustaining because the foundation for the mechanism to run smoothly was first built. Don't speak about what you don't know. Your basis for comparison is whack. Lagos Rail is managed by people who would not see it fail in conjunction with LAMATA, LAMATA is about 20 years old and continuous, they keep expanding from road, to water, to train etc, they even have bigger dreams. It's a system that runs like a private sector, seeks funding and management by itself, in support of her operations.
When you build something like TINAPA, in that far region, and you have to navigate routes that does not have standard roads and the population....what do you expect, it will fail.
Lagos have started building ARENA of 12k capacity, tell me it will not be profitable, or tell me it will be closed down in few years? Nah! Lagos has the population, pre-independence, prior before the British landed in Lagos, in the era or the Portuguese, Lagos was termed "The city that doesn't sleep", because it is known for work and fun " Eko o gba gbere" Eko o ki nsun" - If you have a place where people are not used to night life, vacation, tourism, people who would prefer to sit under a tree and have palm wine, such investment will die natural death. It is not about funding, there isn't activity and patronage that will keep workers there, and they can't keep operating without ability to fuel it. Lagos is the epicentre of fun, activity in Nigeria, naturally, even pre-independence.

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Gajagojo: 7:16am On May 21
Fujiyama:

^^^

Why not?

What's wrong with Uyo?
Did I say anything is wrong with it?
The simple truth is it not the number one place rich people in Nigeria would want to live with their families
They would rather live in Lagos,Abuja or Port Harcourt
Rich people like to live among other rich people with access to schools,hospitals and other facilities for their families
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by MEEVEET: 7:20am On May 21
djseanjohn77:

That is where Lagos State will always be ahead....Lagos is self-sustaining because the foundation for the mechanism to run smoothly was first built. Don't speak about what you don't know. Your basis for comparison is whack. Lagos Rail is managed by people who would not see it fail in conjunction with LAMATA, LAMATA is about 20 years old and continuous, they keep expanding from road, to water, to train etc, they even have bigger dreams. It's a system that runs like a private sector, seeks funding and management by itself, in support of her operations.
When you build something like TINAPA, in that far region, and you have to navigate routes that does not have standard roads and the population....what do you expect, it will fail.
Lagos have started building ARENA of 12k capacity, tell me it will not be profitable, or tell me it will be closed down in few years? Nah! Lagos has the population, pre-independence, prior before the British landed in Lagos, in the era or the Portuguese, Lagos was termed "The city that doesn't sleep", because it is known for work and fun " Eko o gba gbere" Eko o ki nsun" - If you have a place where people are not used to night life, vacation, tourism, people who would prefer to sit under a tree and have palm wine, such investment will die natural death. It is not about funding, there isn't activity and patronage that will keep workers there, and they can't keep operating without ability to fuel it. Lagos is the epicentre of fun, activity in Nigeria, naturally, even pre-independence.
Oga Lagos State rail is worse economically than tinapa even

I dare you to publish operations cost n revenue

Revenue can't be more than 10% operational cost

Well Lagos is more economically better than Nigeria sha... But if they keep building useless projects like that rail won't take long before

Revenue becomes less than debt servicing +recurrent expenditure
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Gajagojo: 7:40am On May 21
MEEVEET:

Oga Lagos State rail is worse economically than tinapa even

I dare you to publish operations cost n revenue

Revenue can't be more than 10% operational cost

Well Lagos is more economically better than Nigeria sha... But if they keep building useless projects like that rail won't take long before

Revenue becomes less than debt servicing +recurrent expenditure

You make a claim and then you DARE him?

How childish!!!

Why not back up your ridiculous assertions with evidence?

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Meteng: 10:51am On May 21
RaySimran:
Nigerian media and sensational headlines are like 5&6, they can't do without click bait.

The only thing (as stated in the article) scaring investors away was the payment structure and over inflated rent.

Building of this magnitude should be prized per square metre rather than outright pricing that could possibly discourage prospectful investor/tenant.

Anyways, the radical approach employed by the current governor to revalue the building and attract more cooperation is commendable.

God bless Akwa abasi Ibom.
God bless Nigeria.
I like your input. You get sense
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by lexyclasy: 4:09pm On May 21
Blue3k:
Lol, four years after building the tower, not one IOC has moved its headquarters there. Akwa Ibomites were told and foolishly believed that the IOCs would relocate because the Dakkada Tower was built. This outcome was obvious because none of the oil companies announced plans to relocate. The state loves its white elephant projects.

PS: the article lied in its title. The tower does have tenants. The headline should be "IOCs refuse to relocate HQ four years after building tower."
Must you talk stupidly always. If you don't have sense cant you pray to God for Wisdom and understanding.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by lexyclasy: 4:14pm On May 21
LexngtonSteele:
You're just saying YES to yourself.

The place was empty with shops that had NEVER been occupied.

You don't cite projects where they aren't particularly viable.

Yes successive governments could have tried ventures to help attract investors and clientele, but they can't force customers there.

Your flimsy and poorly thought out argument is relevant to this particular project in Akwa Ibom and the airport in Ebonyi. Not just Ebonyi, several states like that.. just that no name readily jumps. The Ibadan one too doesn't look successful. Osun is already zero before completion.

They can easily blame successive governments for not attracting business instead of not initiating such a venture in an economic desert in the first place

you have no idea what you are saying, that area is banking avenue and business district, so get your facts right and stop posting with grudges and hate it wont take you to anywhere.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Blue3k(m): 5:24pm On May 21
lexyclasy:
Must you talk stupidly always. If you don't have sense cant you pray to God for Wisdom and understanding.

Make a counter argument clown. If you need help understanding the argument I'll be happy to enlighten you. If you want to remain foolish that's your business.
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by nesphil(m): 10:35pm On May 21
At least the tower was built not like your state where they looted all the monies.

I thought you wanted to say that, the tower was not built at all.
Mumu man.

That tower is an asset to the State and Bank of Industry (BOI) Uyo bracnch has occupied part of that building, so stop spewing trash.

Blue3k:
Lol, four years after building the tower, not one IOC has moved its headquarters there. Akwa Ibomites were told and foolishly believed that the IOCs would relocate because the Dakkada Tower was built. This outcome was obvious because none of the oil companies announced plans to relocate. The state loves its white elephant projects.

PS: the article lied in its title. The tower does have tenants. The headline should be "IOCs refuse to relocate HQ four years after building tower."
Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Blue3k(m): 10:57pm On May 21
nesphil:
At least the tower was built not like your state where they looted all the monies.

I thought you wanted to say that, the tower was not built at all.
Mumu man.

That tower is an asset to the State and Bank of Industry (BOI) Uyo bracnch has occupied part of that building, so stop spewing trash.

Lol people like you are pathetic. The standards are either looting or wasting money. No wonder development won't happen. The project was always a stupid idea based on the stated goal of attracting IOC HQs. There's no debating that fact. Since this is commercial real estate you have to judge the success based on its profits. The bank of Industry wasn't under a palm tree before Akwa ibom built the tower mumu.

1 Like

Re: IOCs Refuse To Relocate HQ to Akwa Ibom 4 Years After Building Tower. by Uchek(m): 8:52pm On May 22
Na lie!

MEEVEET:
So a governor believed that if mobil wanted to move to akwa ibom... It's lack of office space that would stop them?

If you want mobil to move to akwa ibom it's simple... Make a law that any company that operates in akwa ibom from outside would pay 10 x the normal Tax

If you have head office in the state u pay 0.8 x tax

Then watch them move or stay either way win win

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forex Speculators From Benin Republic, Ghana, Others Invade Nigeria For Profits / FG Inaugurates Gold Refinery, Boosts Small-scale Mining / Friend Celebrates A Nigerian Female Graduate Who Is A Yam Seller - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.