Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,422 members, 7,861,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:14 AM

The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash (42498 Views)

The Real Reason Why Your Phone Doesn't Support Efootball / Real Reasons FG Is Replacing BVN, Others With NIN / Is He WISH Legit Or A Scam: The Real Reasons Why It Is So Cheap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Mynd44: 5:32pm On May 21
Nigerians, we shouldn't wait for things to fall apart. Banks must be called to order and CBN must push more liquidity to the banks as well. There’s no use chasing what is not lost or trying to give the dog a bad name because you want to hang it. Dear citizens, may I approach the court of public opinion to make my case?

From ages past, there have been banks. And there has also always been money - cowrie shells, kudi, owo, gold bars, or bank notes) Without banks and money, what kind of life will this fast paced, commercial driven and transaction reliant society look like?

Ok. So let's ask ourselves, one big question - wetin banks dey do sef? They take your money, keep it as deposits. When you need your money, they give it back to you as cash or transfers. And when you are not using your money, it is used as loans and investment. In all, banks are society’s tool for ensuring that the levers of commerce continue to roll smoothly.

My lords, let’s tackle the big elephant in the room. These days across Nigeria, you find people venting and querying the performance of banking channels, especially the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) in many cities. Many of the rants have been founded on ignorance and mischief, and I will provide concrete evidence on the real state of play and why we are not pointing fingers where they should be. Or do we just like to leave the substance and chase ghosts?

Customers are venting that these ATMs aren’t dispensing cash and that even bank branches don’t have enough cash to give customers. The question is why? I put it to you that this is simply a problem of cash in circulation and cash domiciled in the bank. If a lot of people are refusing to keep their money in the banks because of big bank charges for cash handling and deposits? Need I remind your Lordships that for individual cash deposits, the rate is two percent for transactions above N500,000 while cash withdrawal is three percent for transactions above N500,000. How is this the fault of POS agents? Mark this as Exhibit A.

For Exhibit B, the facts speak for themselves, as banks are no longer interested in maintaining these ATM machines. This is because these services have a very huge cost element to them, especially in terms of transporting cash to them, security, personnel and other costs of maintaining it. Did you know that ATM machines are usually imported into the country and the customs duty on ATMs is over 25%? This, my fellow citizens, is why banks have reduced their investments in them and opted for low maintenance options like mobile banking and USSD.

My last point is a combination of these two factors listed above. Banks have no incentive to push ATM withdrawals when you consider that it is just one among many channels, and probably the most expensive. Banks love money and they are in business to make money. So why would they put cash in an ATM when mobile banking or USSD is there for the customers, at little or no cost of servicing. Also, the total number of ATMs across the country is put at around 22,600 ATM locations across the country. This is grossly insufficient to cater to Nigeria’s huge population that needs financial services.

As I round up my case, there are a few pertinent issues worthy of due cognizance. The government has made many efforts to get Nigerians to embrace a cashless society especially with some of the associated risks like robbery attacks but not much progress has been made. Why doesn't the government use the right policy to encourage digital payments and financial literacy? On the evidence of some of the growth that has been seen, a lot more people are adopting transfers and other forms of payments.

Agency banking is a service. As with all services in the banks, financial institutions and everywhere else, there are service charges to be paid. When people make withdrawals from the ATM and over the counter, and pay the transaction charges, do
Sponsored Post

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by meum: 5:38pm On May 21
The masses blamed Meffy back then. Isn’t it okay to blame Cardy?

85 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by psucc(m): 5:55pm On May 21
The truth is that the banks are now selling cash to POS operators and making brisk cash in the process.

Every industry in Nigeria has its own fraud signature

335 Likes 33 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Whois(m): 6:14pm On May 21
We need to embrace cashless policy

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by budaatum: 6:15pm On May 21
From ages past, there have been banks. And there has also always been money - cowrie shells, kudi, owo, gold bars, or bank notes)

Digital money is the next evolution of money, and bank notes would soon be as dead as cowrie shells, it seems.

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Treasure17(m): 6:21pm On May 21
Our super mod is now a lawyer by default. The truth is there are limited cash in the bank. Probably the CBN is not doing enough in this regard. You have to wet the ground before you get enough cash in the bank now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Zonefree(m): 6:41pm On May 21
Treasure17:
Our super mod is now a lawyer by default. The truth is there are limited cash in the bank. Probably the CBN is not doing enough in this regard. You have to wet the ground before you get enough cash in the bank now.

If there are truly limited cash in banks, where are pos operators getting cash for transactions?

Filling stations deposit cash in the bank almost every day, but, banks sell the cash to pos operators, the reason ATMs are not functioning.

144 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Mosdiii(m): 6:51pm On May 21
Very sad reality. Even the pos guys are making money too .... Now u pay 200 Naira for 5k

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by id4sho(m): 6:55pm On May 21
tongue
Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by ValCon888: 7:24pm On May 21
I'm not in Nigeria, so I cannot relate. Still, from here, it's obvious the CBN has ordered a directive to mop up excess liquidity in circulation. And that is the reason why physical naira is hard to come by.

Nonetheless, most Nigerians are unaware of their rights. A typical Nigerian will open an account, pay different types of bank charges, and yet cannot withdraw their hard-earned funds from the bank ATM.

That by itself is a breach of contract, and the customer has every right to sue that bank for the non-performance of their obligations.

83 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by ruggedtimi(m): 7:26pm On May 21
Cant remember the last time i used an ATM machine..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by CrossRhodes: 8:06pm On May 21
meum:
Okay na grin
Suddenly cardi B is blameless despite plenty trial and error but they wanted to kill meffy for his errors too.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by CrossRhodes: 8:11pm On May 21
ValCon888:
I'm not in Nigeria, so I cannot relate. Still, from here, it's obvious the CBN has ordered a directive to mop up excess liquidity in circulation. And that is the reason why physical naira is hard to come by.

Nonetheless, most Nigerians are unaware of their rights. A typical Nigerian will open an account, pay different types of bank charges, and yet cannot withdraw their hard-earned funds from the bank ATM.

That by itself is a breach of contract, and the customer has every right to sue that bank for the non-performance of their obligations.
In a working society this will fly and said bank will pay up.
It won't work in Nigeria, no rule of law..

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by ORANGESUPER(f): 8:22pm On May 21
ValCon888:

Law in Nigeria are just on books. The laws over here is just to keep the lower classes in order.
If the higher classes are affected by certain financial decisions, it's quickly modified or completely reversed.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Mitsurugi(m): 9:18pm On May 21
angry
Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Olachase(m): 9:18pm On May 21
Mosdiii:
Very sad reality. Even the pos guys are making money too .... Now u pay 200 Naira for 5k
what you just said is pure lie, pos charge #100 for 5k

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Newyorkitis(m): 9:18pm On May 21
Follow Solife TV on Facebook for data and other giveaway.
Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Flier: 9:18pm On May 21
sad cheesy grin You are jobless if you still queue trying to get money from atm machine
Something POS Can give you or even bring it to your house without hassle

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by MrIcredible: 9:19pm On May 21
The only reason is because, NIGERIA is the headquarter of evil people
Greedy bastarɗs
Exploiters
Hypocrites

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by YoungLionken(m): 9:19pm On May 21
It has been hijacked by POS operators in collaboration with bankers...

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Eriokanmi: 9:20pm On May 21
meum:
Tinubu-led APC dwells so much on propaganda. Tinubu's bad policy, even if reversed, will take Nigeria 4-5 years to recover. Cfa, which used to be the worst currency has taken over the naira. People now prefer to trade in cfa more than in naira at the border.

Let me remind you of some events or policies under the buhari-led apc administratiin, which tinubu said were not right, but ended up adopting

1- Naira rescue using the dollar

2- Cash scarcity as a result of reduction of cash in circulation.

3-Subsidy is gaan! But he's now paying it, even in trillions monthly.

4-Imprtation of food items, but he's now doing that. He's forgotten about the law of comparative advantage, which will always compell some countries to import certain products. This brings a doubt to his University degree cos the baba go slow seems to be more knowledgeable than him in handling the economy, despite being seen to be far worse than his predecessors.

Please add your own.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by illicit(m): 9:20pm On May 21
meum:

E no go better for EmefiOle once again...

🤕

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by meobizy(f): 9:20pm On May 21
If you read that post, you are jobless and broke. The moderator wey collect money post am no read am too.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by CheapHomes1: 9:20pm On May 21
Whois:
We need to embrace cashless policy
for what reason?
Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by Blaze14k: 9:21pm On May 21
It's been long I used the ATM or visit the bank. Last time I went to the bank I wanted to take all the money in my first bank savings account and these people said I can only withdraw 5k omo na so I kuku leave the money for them till now. Mind you this wasnt the first time I tried. The whole thing is so annoying

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by bemeruca: 9:21pm On May 21
Reason is that the country is dead and Tinubu will be ruling for two terms.

Also, from the POS agent to the banks, to the government are all corrupt idiots.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by hardbody: 9:22pm On May 21
I was at the bank today but did not bother taking cash (they will give me 10k). I just stopped by at a PoS and quietly collected the sum I needed and moved on. I mostly transact using card or transfer, abroad has structured my head on that when I almost slept on the street, till my cab man found a hotel in East London that collected cash. I stopped depending on cash payments/transaction

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by CommonSense1967: 9:25pm On May 21
Corrupt bank employees.
Everyone is corrupt in Nigeria. The only saints are the ones that have not had an opportunity to steal.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by NothingDoMe: 9:26pm On May 21
meum:
😄
Re: The Real Reasons Why You No Longer Find ATMs Giving Cash by dominique(f): 9:27pm On May 21
People hardly deposit their cash in banks anymore. Too stressful, comes with charges. They prefer to give it to POS operators.

17 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9mobile Night And Weekend Data Plans & Subscription Codes / MTN To Launch 5G Network In 7 States In Nigeria / 15 Funny But True Experiences We've All Had On Whatsapp (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.