Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,576 members, 7,861,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:18 PM

Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper (781 Views)

US General Fears Record High Anti-semitism among Troops May Limit US Assistance / Joe Biden Signs Order To Provide $600m Military Assistance To Ukraine / Taiwan Accused Of Shooting Down China's Crashed Fighter Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Mikeiron78(m): 12:16pm On May 22
US were 'unable to assist' Iran in locating Raisi after helicopter crash
BY WALLA!
Published: Wed, 22 May 2024 04:55:50 GMT
Updated: Wed, 22 May 2024 13:45:19 GMT
Presidential candidate Ebrahim Raisi gestures after casting his vote during presidential elections at a polling station in Tehran, Iran June 18, 2021. (photo credit:VIA REUTERS)
Presidential candidate Ebrahim Raisi gestures after casting his vote during presidential elections at a polling station in Tehran, Iran June 18, 2021. (photo credit:VIA REUTERS)
This rare request from the Islamic Republic, which called the United States "the Great Satan," was revealed by the State Department in Washington.
The United States stated on Monday night that it had not succeeded, primarily for logistical reasons, to respond to Iran's request for assistance to help rescue President Ebrahim Raisi's helicopter. Washington also expressed condolences for the death of Raisi, who was called the "Hangman from Tehran" for his role in the killings of regime opponents.

This rare request from the Islamic Republic, which called the United States "the Great Satan," was revealed by the State Department in Washington.

"We were asked for assistance by the government of Iran. We clarified to them that we will assist, as we do in response to any request from a foreign government in such a situation," spokesperson Matt Miller told reporters. "In the end, primarily for logistical reasons, we were unable to provide that assistance," Miller said, without elaborating.

However, the White House emphasized that Raisi was responsible for Iran's support for "terror networks throughout the region" and that he had "a lot of blood on his hands."

Iran did not respond to the American announcement, which may embarrass the Islamic Republic at a sensitive time. Alongside Raisi, who was marked as a possible successor to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian and six other passengers and crew members were killed in the helicopter crash on a mountain near the town of Tavil in Iran.

Blaming Washington

Rescue team works following a crash of a helicopter carrying Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi, in Varzaqan, May 20, 2024 (credit: STRINGER/WANA (WEST ASIA NEWS AGENCY) VIA REUTERS)
Rescue team works following a crash of a helicopter carrying Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi, in Varzaqan, May 20, 2024 (credit: STRINGER/WANA (WEST ASIA NEWS AGENCY) VIA REUTERS)
The Iranian army ordered an investigation into the circumstances of the helicopter crash, a Bell 212 model manufactured by the United States, in the mountains near the Azerbaijani border, where Raisi visited before his final departure. Tehran maintained a fleet of old planes and helicopters from the Shah era and struggled to find replacement parts due to American sanctions.

Some in Iran blamed Washington for the accident.

"The United States had no part in the crash," said US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin when asked if he feared Tehran might blame Washington. "I can't speculate on what the cause might have been," he added.

Although Raisi's visit coincided with the conflict between Israel and Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon - two terrorist organizations supported by Iran - Austin did not anticipate immediate security implications for the Middle East following the crash. "I don't necessarily see a broader regional security impact at this stage," Austin said.

Under the Islamic Republic's constitution, new presidential elections must be held within 50 days, and Raisi's temporary replacement is his first deputy, Mohammad Mokhber. Nevertheless, the ultimate authority in Iran's foreign, security and nuclear policy is 85-year-old Khamenei, and Iranian presidents are largely seen as figureheads in the regime's facade of democracy.
Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by slivertongue: 12:27pm On May 22
after boasting

2 Likes

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Ttipsy(f): 12:29pm On May 22
Islamic republic? Upon how religious they are

Smh

1 Like

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by fnep2smooth(m): 12:43pm On May 22
to tell you say all there shout no from there mind, they need US. them no just won say sorry forgive us grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by psucc(m): 1:07pm On May 22
Imagine if it's our compatriots here, they will rather choke in silence than seek assistant from "Haram" nation
Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by emperor4love(m): 1:28pm On May 22
The better make up with u.s ooh or else de will have more crash since de refuse to buy aircraft parts from Russia and China, expect more oooh,if president plane can crash wat about airline which might have been crashing nd de might covering it

4 Likes

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by NzogbuNzogbu: 1:31pm On May 22
Lol
Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Melagros(m): 2:08pm On May 22
COMRADES, I don't understand, if the helicopter was not located, how were the bodies found?

2 Likes

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Writervick(m): 2:32pm On May 22
Wow lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by obiekunie01: 2:53pm On May 22
i see nothing wrong with such request.

sometime your worst enemy could be your best friend in times of great need.
and i think America i immature for not helping them.
Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Matheusmartin: 3:18pm On May 22
obiekunie01:
i see nothing wrong with such request.

sometime your worst enemy could be your best friend in times of great need.
and i think America i immature for not helping them.
After screaming death to America, u are now seeking help from them. angry
Confuse people

3 Likes

Re: Iran Requested US Assistance For Locating Crashed Choper by Ekaette1621990: 6:34pm On May 22
I have no RIPS for terrorist.

Let me preserve my RIPS.

Anyway I laugh in Swahili 😂😂😂😂😂

(1) (Reply)

Iran And Nuclear Weapon / South Korean Ex-president Kills Himself- He Should Have Become Nigerian / Your Thoughts On Obama Supreme Court Nominee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.