Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,993 members, 7,863,557 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:04 PM

Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle (136 Views)

This Jesus Miracle Is Rarely Talked About In Church / Christian Songs We Might Have Been Singing Wrongly / Isaiah 4:1, 7 Women Begging A Man To Marry Them - Sets Facebook On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by AbuTwins: 3:49pm On May 22
Luke 4:17-19
The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written: “The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Isaiah 61:1-2
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on Me, because the LORD has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and freedom to the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of our God’s vengeance, to comfort all who mourn

Where did Luke get the extra "and recovery of sight to the blind" from?
Why is "He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted" absent in Luke?
Re: Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by tunene66: 4:23pm On May 22
There are a couple of differences between Jesus’s quotation of Isaiah 61:1 in Luke 4:18 and the normal translation of Isaiah 61 based on the Hebrew Bible. For one, Jesus omits “He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted” (something present in the Greek text as well). He also prefers the Septuagint (Greek Old Testament, LXX) to the Masoretic text (Hebrew manuscript) when He cites “recovery of sight to the blind.” There is still one more change, one we will notice tomorrow. See if you can find it in Luke 4:18!

As usual, we’ll take a look at the words used in the Greek and Hebrew and see how the word “blind” is used throughout Luke’s gospel account.

[By the way, here is Isaiah 61:1 in the LXX for you so that you can compare it to your Old Testament and Jesus’s citation of it: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, on account of which he has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the poor, to heal those who are crushed in heart, to announce release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind…” (Isaiah 61:1).]

BLIND, FREEDOM, RECOVERY
So, the big question is why did the translators of the LXX and Jesus talk about the blind receiving their sight when the Hebrew is focused on freedom for the prisoners? Well, I don’t know the answer to that question, but I have a guess. It has to do with the word “freedom.”

While this is the only occurrence of this Hebrew word in the Hebrew Bible, the root of the word is found thirty-seven times. Besides a couple of names, this root word is used to talk about people’s eyes and ears being opened, except, of course, in Isaiah 61:1 where it is translated “freedom.” The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew lexicon suggests that this term is used in Isaiah 61:1 to talk about prisoners being released from a dark prison.

I think that when we look at how Jesus used the term “blind” in Luke, this change will make sense.

The word translated blind is found seven times in the gospel account. In six of those times, the text is referring to physically blind people. In one, however, found in Luke 6, a passage we have gone to several times for assistance in understanding Luke 4:18, Jesus said, “A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit?” (Luke 6:39).

Like in the previous articles, there are two things at play here: the miracles Jesus performed pointed to greater spiritual realities. Jesus healed those who were blind, but He also helped to open people’s eyes to what the kingdom of God really is.

https://danielr.net/recovery-of-sight-to-the-blind-pt-4/
Re: Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by StillDtruth: 4:45pm On May 22
tunene66:
There are a couple of differences between Jesus’s quotation of Isaiah 61:1 in Luke 4:18 and the normal translation of Isaiah 61 based on the Hebrew Bible. For one, Jesus omits “He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted” (something present in the Greek text as well). He also prefers the Septuagint (Greek Old Testament, LXX) to the Masoretic text (Hebrew manuscript) when He cites “recovery of sight to the blind.” There is still one more change, one we will notice tomorrow. See if you can find it in Luke 4:18!

As usual, we’ll take a look at the words used in the Greek and Hebrew and see how the word “blind” is used throughout Luke’s gospel account.

[By the way, here is Isaiah 61:1 in the LXX for you so that you can compare it to your Old Testament and Jesus’s citation of it: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, on account of which he has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the poor, to heal those who are crushed in heart, to announce release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind…” (Isaiah 61:1).]

BLIND, FREEDOM, RECOVERY
So, the big question is why did the translators of the LXX and Jesus talk about the blind receiving their sight when the Hebrew is focused on freedom for the prisoners? Well, I don’t know the answer to that question, but I have a guess. It has to do with the word “freedom.”

While this is the only occurrence of this Hebrew word in the Hebrew Bible, the root of the word is found thirty-seven times. Besides a couple of names, this root word is used to talk about people’s eyes and ears being opened, except, of course, in Isaiah 61:1 where it is translated “freedom.” The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew lexicon suggests that this term is used in Isaiah 61:1 to talk about prisoners being released from a dark prison.

I think that when we look at how Jesus used the term “blind” in Luke, this change will make sense.

The word translated blind is found seven times in the gospel account. In six of those times, the text is referring to physically blind people. In one, however, found in Luke 6, a passage we have gone to several times for assistance in understanding Luke 4:18, Jesus said, “A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit?” (Luke 6:39).

Like in the previous articles, there are two things at play here: the miracles Jesus performed pointed to greater spiritual realities. Jesus healed those who were blind, but He also helped to open people’s eyes to what the kingdom of God really is.

Is there any gain in responding to this mad muslim?

Do you not see that he does not really care about any explaination but just wants to attack the bible by raising non issues so as to make it look like the bible is flawed like their evil rubbish koran?
Re: Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by AbuTwins: 5:31pm On May 22
tunene66:

BLIND, FREEDOM, RECOVERY

I don't get your long prose. Do you mean when quoting a text there can be a significant change like this?
I'll prefer you refer to Luke and what he wrote about Jesus and not Jesus himself. Jesus i believe, couldn't have made such mistake in quoting scriptures appropriately!

So this now brings us to the variance in the Masoretic and the LXX text right?
Re: Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On May 22
tunene66:
■ There are a couple of differences between Jesus’s quotation of Isaiah 61:1 in Luke 4:18 and the normal translation of Isaiah 61 based on the Hebrew Bible. For one, Jesus omits “He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted” (something present in the Greek text as well). He also prefers the Septuagint (Greek Old Testament, LXX) to the Masoretic text (Hebrew manuscript) when He cites “recovery of sight to the blind.” There is still one more change, one we will notice tomorrow. See if you can find it in Luke 4:18!
I think all of this is really unnecessary gobbledegook on your part. The passage you quoted from states that at the Synagogue, Jesus Christ was given a copy of the book of Isaiah to read from, and that is what He did. undecided
16 Jesus traveled to Nazareth, the town where he grew up. On the Sabbath day he went to the synagogue as he always did. He stood up to read.
17 The book of Isaiah the prophet was given to him. He opened the book and found the place where this is written:
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me. He has chosen me to tell the good news to the poor. He sent me to tell prisoners that they are free and to tell the blind that they can see again. He sent me to free those who have been treated badly
19 and to announce that the time has come for the Lord to show his kindness.”
20 Jesus closed the book, gave it back to the helper, and sat down. As everyone in the synagogue watched him closely,
21 he began to speak to them. He said, “While you heard me reading these words just now, they were coming true!” - Luke 4 vs 16 - 21
The passage does not say Jesus Christ chose the book or particular manuscript to read. It instead states that Jesus Christ read from the book that was given to Him and gave it back after He was done. Simple! grin
Re: Luke wrongly quotes Isaiah and adds Jesus's Miracle by advocatejare(m): 10:48am On May 24
AbuTwins:
Luke 4:17-19
The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written: “The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Isaiah 61:1-2
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on Me, because the LORD has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and freedom to the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of our God’s vengeance, to comfort all who mourn

Where did Luke get the extra "and recovery of sight to the blind" from?
Why is "He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted" absent in Luke?

“Do they not ponder over the Qur’an? Had it been from other than Allah, surely they would have found many contradictions in it.”
-Quran 4:82

Allah challenged us to look for contradictions in the Quran, that if the Quran were to be from other than Allah, there will be many contradictions in it

“Do they not ponder over the Qur’an? Had it been from other than Allah, surely they would have found many contradictions in it.

Let's examine the Quran

Did he create the heaven or the Earth first?

The earth:
“He it is Who created for you all that is in the earth. Then turned He to the heaven, and fashioned it as seven heavens. And He is knower of all things.” – Quran 2:29

The heaven:
“Are ye the harder to create, or is the heaven that He built? He raised the height thereof and ordered it; And He made dark the night thereof, and He brought forth the morn thereof. And after that He spread the earth. He extracted from it its water and its pasture, And the mountains He set firmly as provision for you and your grazing livestock.” – Quran 79:27-33

Does Allah forgive everything?

Yes:
Say: “O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins : for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. – Quran 39:53

No:
Allah forgiveth not (The sin of) joining other gods with Him; but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this: one who joins other gods with Allah, Hath strayed far, far away’ – Quran 4:116

No:
Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed. – Quran 4:48

Where do disbelievers receive their record book on Judgment day?

On their back
‘But he who is given his Record behind his back” – Quran 84:10

On the left hand
“And he that will be given his Record in his left hand, will say: “Ah! Would that my Record had not been given to me! – Quran 69:25

(1) (Reply)

Mathematics And Spirituality [ Mean Median Mode] / You Will Get Through This / Seeds Of Destiny 30 September 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.