Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

What laptop do you recommend? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What laptop do you recommend? (5119 Views)

Which Laptop Do I Buy For Less Than N60, 000 / What Laptop Do U Suggest 4 100k Nd Below *new 1* / What Laptop Do I Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What laptop do you recommend? by Christine01(f): 11:01am On Nov 24, 2011
I'm thinking of purchasing a mini laptop because I'll need to carry it to work everyday and the small size/ weight wont be much stress. I have HP 210 series in mind- 2G storage and 320 memory. What do you think? Is there a better mini laptop you can recommend?
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by GWslim(f): 12:31pm On Nov 24, 2011
Toshiba
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Maleeq(m): 2:05pm On Nov 24, 2011
Choice of laptops should be driven basically by your needs and budget.

If you can share what you intend to use it for primarily as well as your budget, it would go a long way in guiding suggestions here.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Christine01(f): 2:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
Maleeq:

Choice of laptops should be driven basically by your needs and budget.

If you can share what you intend to use it for primarily as well as your budget, it would go a long way in guiding suggestions here.
Thank you. The main use will be for office work- researches and  I have a budget of 75k.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2011
i'll suggest the samsung netbook NC215, its among the latest from samsung, the laptop is optimized for extensive and outdoor usage thats one of the reasons solar charging is included, and it has got 4 usb ports. can last upto 15hrs on a single charge. i know because i use one.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by femi4: 10:27am On Nov 26, 2011
marleygab:

i'll suggest the samsung netbook NC215, its among the latest from samsung, the laptop is optimized for extensive and outdoor usage thats one of the reasons solar charging is included, and it has got 4 usb ports. can last upto 15hrs on a single charge. i know because i use one.
why Samsung , when we the household names like HP, DELL, SONY etc
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 10:35am On Nov 26, 2011
why Samsung , when we the household names like HP, DELL, SONY etc

The poster does not want to buy a household name, she wants something portable and excellent for work, besides samsung is popular too and i'm only giving a suggestion and from experience that netbook is excellent.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Christine01(f): 8:23pm On Nov 26, 2011
marleygab:

Ok, thanks but wat is d specs and how much does it go for?
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 11:36pm On Nov 26, 2011
320G/1G, webcam, bluetooth, wlan, intel, windows 7, 10.1"display. i've still got a few left selling for 64k
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by igbo2011(m): 4:09pm On Nov 28, 2011
Zinox
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 28, 2011
dont even go near that samsung laptop

its a fad - you get 1 hour of use after charging for 2 hours . thats a nono

get a dell latitude 2100+

u can get a model with a touchscreen;

not sure if u can find one in naija

that is one tough netbook and te battery life if you have the 9 cell is pretty good too
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Christine01(f): 4:19pm On Nov 28, 2011
marleygab:

320G/1G, webcam, bluetooth, wlan, intel, windows 7, 10.1"display. i've still got a few left selling for 64k

I checked the specs, its single core and just 1G RAM. That disqualifies it. The battery life is okay though but I certainly want more than that from a mini laptop.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2011
I'll advise u gt Acer Aspire mini, Spec.; 2 gig Ram,500 gig hard disk,3 USB ports & a gud batery,wich cn last u morethan 6 hrs! Webcam,WIFI n bluetooth inclusive, i bought mine 62k then n it's servin me well!
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:37pm On Nov 28, 2011
I'd go for etlex
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Amtired: 4:59pm On Nov 28, 2011
I'm using eMACHINES 350 mini laptop,I got it for just 48,000 naira and i have been using it for over a year no problem,
The battery lasts for 4hours, And it is very portable.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by eghost247(m): 4:59pm On Nov 28, 2011
macbook air
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Maleeq(m): 5:28pm On Nov 28, 2011
@eghost247

The OP's budget is capped at N75K. A mac is surely outside that.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by yamakuza: 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2011
marleygab:

How much total, if i want this with 3G RAM?

Is the claim below true?

dont even go near that samsung laptop

its a fad - you get 1 hour of use after charging for 2 hours . thats a nono
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 7:07pm On Nov 28, 2011
How much total, if i want this with 3G RAM?

Is the claim below true?

Ofcourse you get 1hour of usage with every 2hrs charge, whats wrong with that? undecided. But this only happens if you are charging with sunlight. with electricity you get 1hr of usage with approximately 40 minutes of charging. an exra 2G ram will cost 6k
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2011
I checked the specs, its single core and just 1G RAM. That disqualifies it. The battery life is okay though but I certainly want more than that from a mini laptop. 

yes like 90% of netbooks it is single core, including the Hp you were initially considering, but since the ram deterred you(can be upgraded though), my other suggestion will be the acer aspire netbook with 500/2G also  very good. i still love my samsung netbook. click this link to confirm what i told you about the samsung https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-768366.99999.html#bot
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by yamakuza: 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2011
marleygab:

Ofcourse you get 1hour of usage with every 2hrs charge, whats wrong with that? undecided. But this only happens if you are charging with sunlight. with electricity you get 1hr of usage with approximately 40 minutes of charging. an exra 2G ram will cost 6k

So, i would have to charge it for 30hrs to get the advertised 15hrs, if at all thats possible?

I read a review somewhere on NL (by Seun and Justwise), that it does wonders using 3G RAM (70K right?).

How true is that? (unless they were referring to a different Samsung Netbook)
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by purplebelt(m): 8:35pm On Nov 28, 2011
yamakuza:

So, i would have to charge it for 30hrs to get the advertised 15hrs, if at all thats possible?

I read a review somewhere on NL (by Seun and Justwise), that it does wonders using 3G RAM (70K right?).

they must have been talking bout a diff netbook, this one has got only one dimm slot. It's still an Atom CPU and intel GMA3150 graphics. 2gb ram MAX (you can put in 4gb but your wasting money) with Single Channel only,

the netbook itself cost about 63k, upgrading it to a 2gbram shouldn't cost more than 3k, u're looking at 66k in total, unles u would like to upgrade the hdd too,

as for the batt life, its superb, just as advertised, as for the solar charging thing, consider this, if u place this netbook facing a regular window, say at home or in the office, u get 1 hr of runtime for 2hrs of just sitting there, haba, thats gotta be damn good value in your book too,
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by yamakuza: 8:53pm On Nov 28, 2011
purplebelt:

they must have been talking bout a diff netbook, this one has got only one dimm slot. It's still an Atom CPU and intel GMA3150 graphics. 2gb ram MAX (you can put in 4gb but your wasting money) with Single Channel only,

the netbook itself cost about 63k, upgrading it to a 2gbram shouldn't cost more than 3k, u're looking at 66k in total, unles u would like to upgrade the hdd too,

as for the batt life, its superb, just as advertised, as for the solar charging thing, consider this, if u place this netbook facing a regular window, say at home or in the office, u get 1 hr of runtime for 2hrs of just sitting there, haba, thats gotta be damn good value in your book too,

Thanks. Very useful info.

I'm totally sold on this!
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by purplebelt(m): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2011
whatever u decide, i can hook u up, we've got the best prices where i work, for real, our prices are the best, if u find out they are not, challenge us, we fix it, we do payment on delivery. we even swap/exchange old laptops, holla if i can be of service.

Re: What laptop do you recommend? by muyoto: 10:31pm On Nov 28, 2011
purplebelt:

Not bad. . .

The only minus is that it has no CD/DVD drive. One would have to conside getting an external DVD pplayer which of course is added cost.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by purplebelt(m): 11:30pm On Nov 28, 2011
yeah, N6000 - N8000 added cost,

speaking for myself tho, but, the last 10 times i've used my external dvd, it's been to help other people fix thier regular laptops whose dvd's had gone bad,

its never been for anything personal, i kinda like having one as an external device,
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 28, 2011
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-ultraportable-laptops/

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1z-fall/4505-3121_7-35020139.html

The biggest story in laptops this year has got to be the rise of the inexpensive 11-inch ultraportable. Largely replacing 10-inch Netbooks, these systems are slightly larger, slightly more expensive, and significantly more powerful, thanks to the latest Intel Core i3 and AMD E-series processors.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1z-fall/4505-3121_7-35020139.html#ixzz1f2golKUK

its 379 vs the samsungs 399

be warned , battery life promises are a documented manufacturer scam. the only way you can get the battery life advertised by manufacturers is if u run the laptop at low power settings which wil in turn severely impact on whatever you are doing. a rule of thumb , if i remember correctly, is to halve whatever battery life is promised by the manufacturer

also note that 10" netbooks typically have a resolution of 1024 by 600 - most modern apps are built for a minimum resolution of 1072 x 768

be very sure of what you want to use it for. i have had colleagues complaining because they cannot run so and so on their netbook. as to the dvd drive, if u have a second pc somewhere, all u need to do is use the an virtual cd program with isos of your cds. theres one i use, though i can't remember the name right now.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 12:05am On Nov 29, 2011

The purplebelt guy has said it all, i still use mine with the original config it came with and so far i'm happy with the performance i can only imagine what a 4G ram will do, i was thinking it had 2 slots like the older 250/2G version but i just opened mine and confirmed it had only one. if you are the type that wants the best out of anything then youl'd agree with me that an additional 4G ram is in no way a waste of money as there is absolutely no way the performance can be the same (the difference wont even be negligible). well it is possible to get 2G of ram for 3k or less that is ofcourse if it has been removed from a traded in or used laptop but they have been tampered with and not always reliable. please 08035509811 or marleygabinternational@yahoo.com is always available for negotiations
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by purplebelt(m): 12:17am On Nov 29, 2011
lolz, dont waste ur money, a 4gb ddr3 upgrade would be a waste, the intel atom board was built to handle 2gb max, it even says so in the specs.

if u already have 1gb ram in it, u simply trade it in for a 2gb, shudnt cost more than 3k, with a warranty,

yeah, i agree with oyb, dm1's are worth considering too

now, why didnt i think of that, they aint too many in 9ja sha
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by yamakuza: 12:31am On Nov 29, 2011
^ ya. But the problem in naija is power.

Any solar powered dm1s out there?

Thanks.
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by marleygab(m): 12:39am On Nov 29, 2011
I have personally upgraded an acer aspire with intel atom 1.66GHz originally with 2G to 4G
Re: What laptop do you recommend? by elderly: 1:05am On Nov 29, 2011
1201HAB from Asus is good. Read the reviews

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youtube Video On Nairaland / Which Is The Fastest Downloader-idm Or Utorrent / Help! How Do I Kill Bitdefender On My System?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.