Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,967 members, 7,863,442 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:49 PM

Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta (1022 Views)

El-Rufai Creates A Territory In Kaduna, Appoints Son’s Friend, Muhammad Hafiz / I Want To Learn: Which Territory In The SS Is Owned By Ijaws[photos] / Lawal Saidu: I Saw 1,000 Bandits With AK-47 Rifles, Some Under Influence Of Drug (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by EmperorCaesar(m): 1:26pm On May 25
Hotice085:
Quoting from the Ukpuru website ..

In the 1600s New Calabar was the most important slaving and ivory location in the Bight of Biafra; by the 1730s Bonny emerged as the leading regional slaving port. The Bight’s ivory trade had then shifted east to Old Calabar and Cameroon. [Most of the enslaved people came from the interior areas which were Igbo-speaking and they were sold to wealthy eastern Ijaw and Efik middle men by Igbo slave raiders from other polities.]

U dey reply with facts and references

Wow
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by LOVEALAIGBO: 2:00pm On May 25
EmperorCaesar:

U dey reply with facts and references

Wow

‘Facts and references’ from one Ukpurus’ website!? I suppose you, Ukpuru and your type get a boner and have wet dreams by embellishing stories of the slave-trade era with talk of ‘wealthy Ijaw-traders selling Igbos’’!?

I don’t get this sick desire to feel ‘superior’ and funky over a diabolical practice that ordinarily should make all Africans involved to hang their heads in shame at the ignorance and stupidity of their daft ancestors! Look at the present condition of those you want to brag ‘sold Igbos’ in slavery’….how is their condition and environment today!?
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Hotice085: 5:27pm On May 25
LOVEALAIGBO:

I look at the attached script and map you posted and smile! Even though i’d still like links to their source, i smile because they don’t counter my argument….and even corroborate them sef!

At no point did i argue the Calabar never existed….side-by-side with the Igbo in the Niger-Delta! Ditto Bonny as well! So your argument is moot! The map you posted even supports the argument of those who say the Ikwerre, and by implication Port Harcourt, are part of Igboland! Look at the map again…..not only is Port Harcourt included as part of Igboland, but said map shows Igboland HAVING ACCESS TO THE SEA!

Most importantly, the map you posted shows where the Ijaw own, AND THEY ARE SEPARATED FROM OPOBO BY OGONILAND! Look at the map again….how manage the Ijaw flew over the Ogoni and grabbed Opobo as theirs!? This map also supports my position that Opobo was a independent city-state in its own right!

When I was schooling your IPOB seniors here some years back you were still munching pop corn, even this my handle is just one of my severals and all still older than yours
Boy you still got many rivers to cross

2 Likes

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by LOVEALAIGBO: 6:27pm On May 25
Hotice085:

When I was schooling your IPOB seniors here some years back you were still munching pop corn, even this my handle is just one of my severals and all still older than yours
Boy you still got many rivers to cross

Specifics mate…specifics! You’re either a blatant liar or a poor student of history and in NO position to school anyone!
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Hotice085: 9:04pm On May 25
LOVEALAIGBO:

Specifics mate…specifics! You’re either a blatant liar or a poor student of history and in NO position to school anyone!

Sharap and stop running your filthy lying IPOB mouth here...you are a twart that's needs serious reading from the lies you have been indoctrinated with, your knowledge of the past is like that of a gutter rat
Go and read more especially from your none tribal people about your history because when most of them were dealing with the Europeans you were still running about in the jungle
Go Get balanced views from others and put the pieces together with yours before coming out online rambling like a man possessed with legions of demons inside of him

2 Likes

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by SS777(m): 9:24pm On May 25
LOVEALAIGBO:

You talking of the esteemed Obi of Onitsha? We all love and respect him, so let him claim to come from Mars sef….we don’t mind! Even Zik alluded to Benin heritage of Onitsha! You don’t see Ndigbo loosing any sleep over that because we’re not insecure saps! wink

I'm a deltan,a confirmed one, good as you have accepted the fact that Benin are the ones that is ruling you in ndigbo.

2 Likes

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Dafresh: 9:27pm On May 25
SS777:

Shameless people,yet a Benin king is ruling your industry capital Onitsha.
You want to claim other ethics with your 3 states how possible or don't you know that an average deltan is relevant than 1000 Igbo who are made from the baby factory in Aba, you people need some common sense.
Mumu come to Rivers or Onitsha and make that noise dem go burnnn u alive
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by SS777(m): 9:31pm On May 25
Dafresh:
Mumu come to Rivers or Onitsha and make that noise dem go burnnn u alive

Animal, Onitsha,port Harcourt belong to the Benin grandchildren, that's why governor Wike exterminate you all at oyigbo.

Igbo are cursed and they will remain cursed forever even in your uninhabitable ravaged Biafra, you don't have a solution for your Doom.

Rejected disgusting cursed people.

4 Likes

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Dafresh: 10:05pm On May 25
SS777:

Animal, Onitsha,port Harcourt belong to the Benin grandchildren, that's why governor Wike exterminate you all at oyigbo.

Igbo are cursed and they will remain cursed forever even in your uninhabitable ravaged Biafra, you don't have a solution for your Doom.

Rejected disgusting cursed people.
Lagos belong to who?
Igbos are progressive in all sectors, Yorubas brought curse to Nigeria all sectors are dead because from time memorial Yorubas are cursed, all the evil things in Nigeria was started by Yorubas. Scamming, Rituals, Drugs, Skull mining, Baby Factories etc. if you're man enough come to Onitsha or Rivers and make that noise I swear your headdd will be used to play football. All that propaganda was B4 no more Lagos- Ibadan express media propaganda
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by NaMe4: 7:23am On May 26
At this point, it's obvious these guys repeatedly open such topics in attempt to even convince themselves.

And have never questioned themselves why their 'Igbo history', especially in these areas always begins from the late 1800s.

Landlord97:
Igbos owns solely not just the south east of Nigeria, they are also parts of the following local governments and settlements.
1.DELTA (Anioma)
2.RIVERS (Etche, Omoku, ndoki, egbema, Opobo, Bonny, obigbo,Okirika, Ekpeye)
3.AKWA IBOM (Opobo renamed ikot abasi, ukanafun, eastern obolo).
4.BAYELSA (Ekeremor,nembe, ogbia and brass) 5.EDO(Igbo akiri renamed to igbanke, ishan or esan).
6.CROSS RIVERS ( Obubra, Abi, ejagham).
7. Benue(Obi, Ado, Oju, Okpoku).
8.Kogi(Ibaji and igalamela).
smiley smiley smiley smiley.

Delusional

Anywhere they migrate to and are accommodated, they own. Una try!

1 Like

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Orobadmeat: 8:10am On May 26
[quote author=LOVEALAIGBO post=130134072]

What did my forefathers do during their peak!? Your disdain for the Igbo is all too apparent and unmaskable!

If Igbo were ‘land grabbers’ like you’re trying so hard to make us out to be, during whatever ‘peak’ you’re banging on about, they’d have conquered and Igbonised all those smaller ethnic groups and city-states in the Niger-Delta, and become one large empire like we saw happen with the Oyo and Kanem-Borno empires and the Fulani Caliphate! And today, said ethnicities in the Delta would all have been speaking Igbo and have Igbo culture and traditions! [/quote can Bush men form an empire, you guys think highly of your slaved a*s*s grin
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:17am On May 27
[quote author=Orobadmeat post=130145778][/quote]

Given our rich historical tapestry and the hurdles placed before us which we have surmounted, we are more than entitled to 'think highly of our slaved arse' thank you very much! There are some other ethnic groups that can't take 10% of the malevolence, cheating and gang up Ndigbo have suffered without them burning down the country....esp' one up north!

I used the term 'empire' quite loosely and advicedly because not much was achieved by said 'empires' besides grabbing territory, bullying and enslaving others! If you're a good student of history, you'd have known Ndigbo practiced a form of democratic governance that was averse to one man lording it over everyone else....hence the saying 'Igbo enweghi eze'! The Igbo had self-governing sub-units that weren't answerable to a central authourity like you see with a empire or caliphate, and this worked quite well for us!
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Whalis: 12:56am On May 27
Orobadmeat:
You guys said the British created a Nigeria and that it's not a legitimate country, you believe this map from the same British people grin,,I look at the map and I'm laughing because it's so funny, you are not from opobo or Bonny, you don't know the area, this map is the making of the white man and you believed,how can they put the Ogoni,andoni,elem ifokoo,ikot abasi,ikot aba,ogu, okrika,elem kalabari,nkoro, Rebisi,etc and call it IBO and you believed the white man, please check the current status of the map and not some accient non current map,by the way you guys believe in self determination,why all the energy to force people that want a separate identity and nationality for themselves,live what you preach, you want out of Nigeria fine, please don't force people that are not interested, you guys are becoming laughing stocks,
They don't like Nigeria created by Lord Lugard but like Eastern Nigeria created by the same Lord Lugard.
If an explorer visits PH today, he may end up erroneously calling Ph an Igbo City because the language of trade there is Igbo and English. You hardly hear anyone speaking Ikwerre on the streets.
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Whalis: 1:19am On May 27
Orobadmeat:
you don't know anything about wike, you want to change his name, and you say Fulani changed names, are you not acting like the Fulani you hate, you think it's only ikwerre in port Harcourt that has the Rumi, have gone to other parts of ikwerre to know them,I don't think so, you are like the Fulani you hate,the grab lands, you do too, they rename communities, you do too, so if you must come to equity come with clean hands, let others be, it's not by force, All the insults and propangda will not yeild anything, after all the land belongs to the people and they decide what they want to do with it, it's that simple
The fools know nothing. His forebears came into Ikwerre land as help hands but when the government of Eastern Nigeria was handed over to them those of us in the Niger Delta started to suffer neo-colonialism. Ikwerre has different dialects. Those found in Port Harcourt and Obio Akpor call kindred Rumu. This also extends to Emuoha LGA. In the same Emuoha some call kindred Emu as in Emuoha. In Ikwerre LGA some call Omu as in Omuagwa. Even some use Umu just as Igbos and they still use that till date in Ubimini.
These over ambitious people came to Port Harcourt LGA and some part of Obio Akpor and started to change communities name. Even Rumuokwuta wasn't just change to say Umuokwuta. They change this place to Ama Nweke. The name of their Igbo trader who sold petty goods there.
Now see them changing Wike's name. To them Wike is Nwike. Wike in Ikwerre language means A new thing. Or Of New. Any name Ikwerre name starting with W means Of. Just as German answers von. Wali means Of Land. Wabali means Of the night or belonging to the Night. Worgu means of War.

2 Likes

Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Whalis: 1:28am On May 27
LOVEALAIGBO:

What did my forefathers do during their peak!? Your disdain for the Igbo is all too apparent and unmaskable!

If Igbo were ‘land grabbers’ like you’re trying so hard to make us out to be, during whatever ‘peak’ you’re banging on about, they’d have conquered and Igbonised all those smaller ethnic groups and city-states in the Niger-Delta, and become one large empire like we saw happen with the Oyo and Kanem-Borno empires and the Fulani Caliphate! And today, said ethnicities in the Delta would all have been speaking Igbo and have Igbo culture and traditions!
It didn't happen because Igbos didn't and do not have any influential king. They do not have a central king like some Yoruba Kingdoms. This is why most smaller tribes easily invaded and made a subject of most Igbos communities and hence sold them as slaves.
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by IGBOPROMISE1: 1:43pm On May 27
Whalis:

It didn't happen because Igbos didn't and do not have any influential king. They do not have a central king like some Yoruba Kingdoms. This is why most smaller tribes easily invaded and made a subject of most Igbos communities and hence sold them as slaves.

Your argument is dead on arrival! You're basically saying Igbos' were sold into slavery because we had no 'empire'....no central king like the Yoruba! Weren't the Yoruba equally sold into slavery just like the Igbo were? You see why i say your argument is a non-starter? Yoruba cultural influence was exported to countries like Brazil primarily because of the slave trade....ditto Igbo cultural influence being exported to countries like Jamaica and Haiti! In fact it's the significance, impact and size of a southern Nigerian ethnic group during the slave-trade era that accounted for them being mentioned in text written at the time.....hence you hear of Yoruba sub-groups (i don't think they were referred to as Yoruba at the time...i stand to be corrected though), the 'Ibo' and Calabar being mentioned a lot! Not much, if anything at all, was said or written about the 'smaller tribes' you want to use to ridicule Ndigbo, pointing to the fact that they were either recent arrivals during the slave-trade era (there's talk of some coming in from Sierra Leone) or were then seen as 'petty tribes all of which trace their origin to this great race' as William Balfour Baikie wrote in his book!

I don't get this thing of wanting to brag that 'we sold Igbos' as slaves' which seems to be gaining currency in recent times! Slaves were sold by Igbo, Yoruba and others at the time and this was done out of ignorance, wickedness and stupidity! It's not something to look back at with pride!
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by IGBOPROMISE1: 2:01pm On May 27
Whalis:

The fools know nothing. His forebears came into Ikwerre land as help hands but when the government of Eastern Nigeria was handed over to them those of us in the Niger Delta started to suffer neo-colonialism. Ikwerre has different dialects. Those found in Port Harcourt and Obio Akpor call kindred Rumu. This also extends to Emuoha LGA. In the same Emuoha some call kindred Emu as in Emuoha. In Ikwerre LGA some call Omu as in Omuagwa. Even some use Umu just as Igbos and they still use that till date in Ubimini.
These over ambitious people came to Port Harcourt LGA and some part of Obio Akpor and started to change communities name. Even Rumuokwuta wasn't just change to say Umuokwuta. They change this place to Ama Nweke. The name of their Igbo trader who sold petty goods there.
Now see them changing Wike's name. To them Wike is Nwike. Wike in Ikwerre language means A new thing. Or Of New. Any name Ikwerre name starting with W means Of. Just as German answers von. Wali means Of Land. Wabali means Of the night or belonging to the Night. Worgu means of War.

All ethnic groups in the then Eastern Region moved about freely and lived wherever they wanted to, as was their right! There was a plan by the the Dr M I Okpara led gov't to make Port Harcourt the Lagos of the East, and this, coupled with the historical significance Port Harcourt had owing to its port activities, led to its cosmopolitan demographics. How was 'neo-colonialism' inflicted on the Ikwerre and by whom?

Can you point to any text and documents of the colonial and immediate post-colonial era that lends credence to your position that the Ikwerre were calling their villages and towns starting with the rumu or emu prefix, and when 'Eastern Nigeria was handed over to them', as you put it, these prefix were forcefully changed to umu? Let's use Rumukwurushi and Rumuokwuta as cases in point!

Different Igbo sub-groups have different ways they promounce Igbo words! That doesn't make them anmy less Igbo as you're wickedly trying to narrate on here!
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Brenbentondiaz: 2:07pm On May 27
Landlord97:
Igbos owns solely not just the south east of Nigeria, they are also parts of the following local governments and settlements.
1.DELTA (Anioma)
2.RIVERS (Etche, Omoku, ndoki, egbema, Opobo, Bonny, obigbo,Okirika, Ekpeye)
3.AKWA IBOM (Opobo renamed ikot abasi, ukanafun, eastern obolo).
4.BAYELSA (Ekeremor,nembe, ogbia and brass) 5.EDO(Igbo akiri renamed to igbanke, ishan or esan).
6.CROSS RIVERS ( Obubra, Abi, ejagham).
7. Benue(Obi, Ado, Oju, Okpoku).
8.Kogi(Ibaji and igalamela).
smiley smiley smiley smiley.

You forgot to add Mubi in Adamawa. You guys are A-grade comedians.
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by IGBOPROMISE1: 2:20pm On May 27
Whalis:

They don't like Nigeria created by Lord Lugard but like Eastern Nigeria created by the same Lord Lugard.
If an explorer visits PH today, he may end up erroneously calling Ph an Igbo City because the language of trade there is Igbo and English. You hardly hear anyone speaking Ikwerre on the streets.

I know exactly what your intention is on this forum, and i'm here to checkmate your divisive kind! The Abakaliki, Ngwa, ect are all Igbo sub-groups that speak their own variation of Igbo, but according to you the Ikwerre are not Igbo and they speak their own language! Like i said, i know exactly what your intentions are on this forum!

If left to their own devises without the political influences of the British colonials, it's likely ethnicities in the east would either have formed some kind of confederal arrangement amongst themselves or would have been independent neighbours cooperating with each other. This assertion is preimsed on the fact that there exists centuries-old cultural and economic ties that bind these groups together!

For evey Ikwerre person you bring that claims he's not Igbo, i can bring one who says he is! But ultimately, everyone is free to be called whatever they want to be....neither you or i should force our will on anyone!
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by Localemperor: 3:10pm On May 27
SS777:

Shameless people,yet a Benin king is ruling your industry capital Onitsha.
You want to claim other ethics with your 3 states how possible or don't you know that an average deltan is relevant than 1000 Igbo who are made from the baby factory in Aba, you people need some common sense.
When will an Isoko man become the Governor of Delta State?
Re: Musings On The Extent And Influence Of Igbo Territory In The Niger-delta by tungamaje: 4:28pm On May 27
Localemperor:
When will an Isoko man become the Governor of Delta State?
Big question

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Happens To Adedibu? / Obj And Party Chairman In A Fresh War / What Can You Do To Improve Nigeria Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.