Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,161 members, 7,821,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. (8701 Views)

Military Officers Seize Onikoyi's Land At Banana Island (Pictures) / Fashola Commissions Oba Lateef Adeyemi Housing Estate. PIC / Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Sunofgod(m): 9:18pm On Nov 24, 2011
One day it will dawn on the stupid people of Lagos that Fashola/Tinubu are only interested in fleecing them indefinetely.

They constantly come up with 'illegal laws' to fleece the docile population of Lagos.

SMH
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:31pm On Nov 24, 2011
Fashola just want to milk lagosians dry
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by aribisala0(m): 9:37pm On Nov 24, 2011
well that is exactly what happened in afghanistan
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by jonex70(m): 9:41pm On Nov 24, 2011
Fashola is high. For. Such thing to become a law the state house of assembly must passed it into law. I think it just a suggestion from the govenor. If not I will just go and rent one of this fashola house I know and commit a very big crime and see wat will happen.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by EkoIle1: 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2011
Kudos. We will have a clean and orderly society. We will get rid of all the riff raff and criminals in lagos, its just a matter of time.

Eko o ni baje lai lai
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
oyb:

in nigeria, 90% of the time, landlords are only concerned with the money from tenants.

no background checks, no nada.

But I don't know that LandLords are allowed to do background checks on their tenants. Maybe employment checks to ensure you are employed and able to pay your rent, but background checks? That is an invasion, and gosh, if LandLords are allowed to deny people tenancy simply on grounds that they, at one time in their lives or another, engaged in crime, we would probably have a majority HOMELESS, won't we??

oyb:

just take the money upfront, and it doesn't matter if it is lawrence anini he is renting to.

It shouldn't. The right to a roof over one's head should not depend on a how clean person's criminal record is.

oyb:

lets look at it like this; would you rent a flat to a fellow who did not appear to have any livelihood?
Ofcourse not! I would only rent to those who show evidence they they can afford the rent I charge for my property.

oyb:

too many landlords do just that, and the fact that they take 2 yrs upfront means that what happens is not their business after that .

But if the tenant is able to pay two-years upfront, then that is fine. As long as, after the two years if up, if they expect to continue at that residence, they come up with more money or leave. I think it is really discriminatory for a landlord to base his renting of a property to persons, able to pay the required two-year upfront charge, on looks.

oyb:

would't you find it disturbing if your new next door neighbour turns out to be a cult member?

Funny you should ask that. I once lived in an apartment complex that actually housed ex-convicts, even recent ones. I suspected back then that my next door neighbors were probably some of them. The guys would smoke up the whole place -- ganga. Someone called the police once and I think one of them was taken away once.

oyb:

forget about reporting to police - yes, he's arrested then out of jail two days later, and you have an enemy in your neighbourhood.

So what you are saying is that the police is useless and so it should be up to landlords to fight these cult-members who you admit could pose enemies to any member of the public who dares attack them for being in the cult? I mean . .  why do I get the feeling you are trying to delegate the responsibility of punishing criminals to landlords and neighbours?

In your earlier post, you suggested that cult-members were heard by neighbors plotting ra-pes,etc. The same you now confesses that if those who overheard the plots had reported, the police would probably had given them a slap on the wrist and not much else afterwards. And those neighbors would have simply made enemies in their neighbourhood?

oyb:

i have shared my close with all sorts of characters that i know the landlords would not share their own houses with

there was this fellow who was stealing bits and pieces from people's cars. he was never caught, but after he passed on unexpectedly, the theft stopped

you may not also realise that all these neighbourhood raids by robbers usually have connivance of someone in the neighbourhood

Oh I do realize it, but that still is no reason why Landlords should not be burdened with the task of KEEPING THE COMMUNITY SAFE. Nothing stops the thieves from driving 20 miles down from whetever ghetto they end up living in to rob a house or street. Giving Landlords more ACCESS to the lives of their tenants tends to make renters SLAVEs in some sense to their Landlords wims.

oyb:

all this privacy is well and good in a place where things work - but this is nigeria

the other day during a close meeting, we had to contemplate a house to house search - someone in the neighbourhood has industrial machinery in his house that keeps causing power failures. it has caused all sorts of inconveniece to evryone else - and whoever it is , the person will not stop. what do you do in a case like that?  

Call on the police to do the Searching, with a warrant by the way? I am not entirely sure how people in a neighborhood get to make decisions on what machinary someone else can use in his/her own house. If you suspect a particular house is the problem, or particular person, you call on the police. People are NOT TO TAKE THE LAW IN THEIR OWN HANDS.

oyb:

this is a country where you find that your neighbours are drug pushers, or yahoo yahoo boys.

You call the cops and move out if the cops prove useless. What in the world is the Landlord to do in that case? Landlords are not magicians really. They are ordinary human beings like you, with no supernatural powers. If I had a tenant dealing drugs, I would have to call the cops just like you. And I am not certain the law allows me to throw a tenant out simply on grounds that the tenant in engaged in drug dealing. I am not sure the law even allows that.

oyb:

there was a time i was receiving threatening calls from some opportunistic extortionist - who knew my name and profession. and my mind immediately went to the cult boys

its ember months now and everyday, there are reports of armed robberies  in closes

i'm sure you read about chxtas ordeal and how robbers came to his neighbourhood and opened fire on the landlord for calling the police. we are  assuming police tipped off the robbers, but it could just as well have been a neighbour.

IF YOU ARE A LANDLORD , CONSIDER IT AS A RESPONSIBILITY TO GET AS MUCH INFO ON YOUR PROSPECTIVE TENANTS AS YOU CAN.

No matter what you may think, these landlords are ordinary human beings like you, Only they also happen to own property that they rent out to you and others.

LandLords can only obtain information they are LEGALLY allowed to from tenants. It is not their place to discriminate based on someone's record, IF THE POLICE whom those records supposedly came from, did not chose to act on em. Landlords are not policemen -- police is in charge of arresting and removing criminals from neighborhoods, not the job of landlords.

You give their an example of a landlord, who reported a client to police, only to have the same renter come back to kill him for doing just that. Why was the landlord unable to save himself since he seemed to have done it right ,  I mean reported to the authorities? What should he have done differently? Not Report at all? Denied the applicant from the beginning? How much good woiuld that have done since they could have killed him even then for refusing them tenancy.

I have actually lived in a rental property where part of the agreement was that the Landlord could come in to inspect the property at any time, unannounced. That was a very terrible 6 months by the way. I came home each day wondering if someone had been in the place while I was out, and if it was even safe to eat anything in my fridge. I contemplated installing cameras so as to be sure I had my own watch should the landlord attempt to take advantage. It was a stressful period and I eventually chose to break the lease rather than continue in that situation.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by DerMeister: 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2011
It seems 70% of the people posting on this thread are dim witted m-o-r-o-n-s, How can the govt hold landlords responsible for its failures? If crimes are commited it's the duty of the police and state security agencies to aprehend the culprits and mete out punishment to them. Their landlord has no business with his tenants activities. I would feel pissed off if my lanlord tried to "police" me, btw, i can't stay in the same compound with a "landlord".

These set of rulers/govs/senators etc are clueless, they don't know what governance is about. They are clueless and surround themselves with clueless advisers and commisioners, result: Idiotic policies that take us back to the dark ages instead of developing the country,
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by eagleneyez: 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2011
well, he should start by seizing all Tinubu's property, what a joke, just typical of naija, one person commits a crime, the innocent takes the blame. what will they do to ur property?? auction it their cronnies  
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by eagleneyez: 10:08pm On Nov 24, 2011
words that come out of a SAN's mouth,,,,,,SAN no be common sense o
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by AjanleKoko: 10:26pm On Nov 24, 2011
Naija sha.
So Fashola turns out to be a loose cannon as well embarassed embarassed
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by bamosagie(m): 10:34pm On Nov 24, 2011
Funny people, always quick to attack, the man is only asking landlord to be proactive in community policing. Report tenant with criminal tendencies or risk loosing your property. Sound law, make perfect sense.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by 989900: 10:39pm On Nov 24, 2011
wait till he leaves office and see how much fortune he's made for himself, respect for his endeavours(by Nigerian standards) but ain't they all criminals?
"Politicians and gangsters what the h€ll is the difference?" -the godfather
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2011
Nigeria isn't ripe for something like this I think. Imagine a landlord reporting his tenant to police and the police and maybe his criminal tenant conniving?

Before you know it, Landlord is dead, killed in cold-blood.

We need a general overhaul of our security, not encouraging landlords to snitch.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by aikay77: 11:04pm On Nov 24, 2011
This is the most idiotic proposal I've heard ever from Fashola.

While he seems to be making some sense, it's totally stupid
to pass a law like this.

Pray somebody tell me:

If i rent my house to someone, do all the necessary checks
and find them clean, and then down the road they murder their
wife or join a gang, I lose my home?

The entire Fashola team must be sniffing coke real hard.

WE WILL RESIST THIS LAW!
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 24, 2011
How about a governor that appoints a corrupt Commissioner or Aide He should lose his job.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by jerryben12: 11:21pm On Nov 24, 2011
Now I see that this Fashola guy is an a-hole! He doesn't know his priorities any more. He has exhausted his capabilities. How many landlords know where their tenants work?
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by nelly4(f): 11:25pm On Nov 24, 2011
embarassed
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Kobojunkie: 11:38pm On Nov 24, 2011
bamosagie:

Funny people, always quick to attack, the man is only asking landlord to be proactive in community policing. Report tenant with criminal tendencies or risk loosing your property. Sound law, make perfect sense.

@Oyb, gave you there a good example of the possibles when Landlords decide to, according to you, PROACTIVELY police their community. He reports of a case that happened recently with side tenants killing the landlord in revenge( @Oyb suggests they were tipped off on the report by the police). Now,reading that story, do you still think the landlords are the problem when it comes to PROACTIVELY POLICING YOUR COMMUNITY? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Princek12(m): 11:44pm On Nov 24, 2011
This law is silly and too sweeping. In my opinion, government should have no right to seize the property belonging to landlords just because their tenants committed the criminal activity.

A landlord should not police the activities of his or her tenants, and this law would encourage unnecessary intrusion by landlords into the private lives of their tenants.

Dumb law.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by babaowo: 11:56pm On Nov 24, 2011
haa criminals plenty for lagos ooo!!! See how ppl dey laments and stylishly confessing,
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pifa: 12:16am On Nov 25, 2011
I doubt that the news report quoted the governor accurately. Apart from the confidence that such a law would not hold up to a court challenge, it would be politically idiotic of the governor to assent to extortion to finance the state’s public safety apparatus [1]. I don’t think the governor would stoop to that level.

I would like to believe that the governor was referring to

1) Cases in which the landlord was found to have knowingly and willingly aided and abetted certain high-level crimes and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

2) Cases in which the landlord willfully profited from the illegal activities of his tenants, and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

3) Cases in which the landlord willingly colluded with tenants to commit a crime, and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

What is central in each instance is the utility of the property in question and acquiescence of the landlord to the perpetration of the crime. Generally, under forfeiture laws that I am familiar with, those two conditions have to be established before the government can confiscate a private property.

[1] Conjecture based on this statement attributed to the governor:

“The method of crime in the state are getting complicated and security is not cheap. The only way is for the state government and the residents of the state to invest in this funds so that we can buy additional 500 patrol vehicles, 200 patrol bike, 20 Armoured Personnel Carriers."

Question for you guys:

What is a SAN? I don’t mean what the acronym stands for – which I know by now – but what is the significance of having SAN affixed to your name? Is it a qualification akin to a J.D, Ph.D., MD, PE or AIA (RIBA, if you speak British) for which you would have to pass an examination or complete a set of requirements?
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Princek12(m): 12:23am On Nov 25, 2011
Pifa:

I doubt that the news report quoted the governor accurately. Apart from the confidence that such a law would not hold up to a court challenge, it would be politically idiotic of the governor to assent to extortion to finance the state’s public safety apparatus [1]. I don’t think the governor would stoop to that level.

I would like to believe that the governor was referring to

1) Cases in which the landlord was found to have knowingly and willingly aided and abetted certain high-level crimes and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

2) Cases in which the landlord willfully profited from the illegal activities of his tenants, and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

3) Cases in which the landlord willingly colluded with tenants to commit a crime, and the property in question was used, with the knowledge and acquiescence of the landlord, to commit or facilitate the crime.

What is central in each instance is the utility of the property in question and acquiescence of the landlord to the perpetration of the crime. Generally, under forfeiture laws that I am familiar with, those two conditions have to be established before the government can confiscate a private property.

[1] Conjecture based on this statement attributed to the governor:

“The method of crime in the state are getting complicated and security is not cheap. The only way is for the state government and the residents of the state to invest in this funds so that we can buy additional 500 patrol vehicles, 200 patrol bike, 20 Armoured Personnel Carriers."

Question for you guys:

What is a SAN? I don’t mean what the acronym stands for – which I know by now – but what is the significance of having SAN affixed to your name? Is it a qualification akin to a J.D, Ph.D., MD, PE or AIA (RIBA, if you speak British) for which you would have to pass an examination or complete a set of requirements?

SAN means a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, which is akin to the Attorney General position in the United States. Why they put the SAN behind their name is beyond me, as it is not a degree or a certification; it is just a position.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by VoodooDoll(m): 12:41am On Nov 25, 2011
SAN follows the British Queen's counsel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Counsel

Queen's Counsel (postnominal QC), known as King's Counsel (postnominal KC) during the reign of a male sovereign, are lawyers appointed by letters patent to be one of Her [or His] Majesty's Counsel learned in the law. Membership exists/existed in various Commonwealth countries around the world (and sometimes replaced by the term Senior Advocate in certain[which?] jurisdictions) and it is a status, conferred by the Crown, that is recognised by courts. (In case of Senior Advocates however, the same is conferred by the Higher Courts). Members have the privilege of sitting within the Bar of court.

As members wear silk gowns of a particular design (see court dress), the award of Queen's or King's Counsel is known informally as taking silk. Appointments are made from within the legal profession on the basis of merit rather than a particular level of experience, however successful applicants tend to be solicitor advocates, barristers, or (in Scotland) advocates with 15 years or more experience
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by phreakabit(m): 12:54am On Nov 25, 2011
LOL! Fashola self dey troll . . . grin
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by cap28: 1:04am On Nov 25, 2011
when is fashola going to arrest the real criminals who are looting and plundering the nation's resources, how about confiscating the homes of OBJ, IBB, tinubu, GEJ and other theives who have been robbing the nigerian people blind or is he only good at picking on those much smaller and weaker than himself, s.tupid coward.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by phuckNL: 1:27am On Nov 25, 2011
Posted by: Eko Ile
Insert Quote
Kudos. We will have a clean and orderly society. We will get rid of all the riff raff and criminals in lagos, its just a matter of time.

Come on now. Seriously? I've read a lot of posts where people have said you are a spokesman for Fash and i merely thought you were just acknowledging progress in lagos and being a good citizen. I expected you to come out and say that Fashola forrrked up with this law. SHAME SHAME SHAME.
How can a govt put the blame on the Landlord. Start from inside, and then work outwards. How about they strenghten security in the state first rather than trying to put the blame on other people. Some Landlords may know what their tenants do and others may not. If you suspect your tenant is a robber, you can't just go accusing him/her. You also can not evict him/her based on suspicion (THANKS TO THE TENANCY LAW!!!!)
Your posts show you are a person of high intellect. The statement you made above needs to be retracted. Even if we support someone, when they err, we should be able to acknowledge it. Unless EKO ILE = FASHOLA himself??
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Obiagu1(m): 1:29am On Nov 25, 2011
Oh My God!

Naija and sick ideas.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by jmaine: 2:34am On Nov 25, 2011
Fellas fighting hard to back this useless and dumb law are pitiable . .warrahell angry
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by AmAlone: 7:01am On Nov 25, 2011
So if an arm robber plans to pass 2days in Eko Hotel
and got caught the second day inside the hotel, EKO Hotel immediately becomes Fashola's property? sorry lagos state property?

Or if a yahoo boy lives in 1004 flat among other
the whole 1004 flat will immediately becomes tinubu own??

LOL!!!!

OBOI HAY! C GOVERNMENT!!!!
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 25, 2011
Now we can see that Fashola is officially mad, someone please suggest which psychiatric home he should be taken to
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pukkah: 7:26am On Nov 25, 2011
Pennywise:

What percentage of landlords actually live with their tenants. If a landlord lives at VI will he be culpable (lose property) in Ikorodu?

Don't mind them. Or if the landlord lives abroad and rents out properties in Nigeria?
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pukkah: 7:49am On Nov 25, 2011
This law is anachronistic and unrealistic. It places too much burden on property owners who are just investors. The law enforcement agents should simply do their work and government should not abdicate its responsibility to ordinary citizens.

The landlord should simply be expected to exercise due caution, care and diligence in renting out properties to tenants. He should have documented evidence or records of the tenant's bio-data, passport photographs and identification documents. He should also be expected to place notices on the house or send letters to the tenants not to be involved in any criminal activities while in the house.

In addition, the contact details (phone numbers, email address of the landlord or the Police) should also be pasted on the house to encourage anyone who has information on any suspected nefarious activity going on in the house to report to the right quarters. The state government may also in some instances encourage landlords to obtain references on prospective tenants.

These are my suggestions, arguable though. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Snake Inside My Living Room Help! / Another Budget Cctv Installation Done For A Nairalander With Pictures / Town Park & Gardens Estate, Ikorodu. Beautiful Estate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.