Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. (8702 Views)

Military Officers Seize Onikoyi's Land At Banana Island (Pictures) / Fashola Commissions Oba Lateef Adeyemi Housing Estate. PIC / Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by godman01(m): 7:57am On Nov 25, 2011
It doesn't make sense. Can't you just prosecute the offender. Does my landlord needs to know what my doing, what if i even lied?
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 8:16am On Nov 25, 2011
When fashola a (SAN) proposed whats totally illegal what do we make of it? With all bogus revenues being generated both legally and otherwise in lagos he still intends confisticating landlord properties for a crime by a tenant? Where will he find these "supposed criminals" if not in the rough surbubs like ajegunle, otto e.t.c. THERES POSSIBLY A PLAN TO ACQUIRE CERTAIN AREAS LIKE THE GOVT DID TO MAROKO.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Exponental(m): 8:34am On Nov 25, 2011
If ds is true,
Fash don dey enter RED be dat. How can a man be made 2 loss his property of years cos som1 wanted to play fast but became unlucky.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by logica(m): 9:23am On Nov 25, 2011
It is when you have a non-existence Police Force that you begin to conceive this kind of silly scheme. Nothing can substitute for an efficient Police Force. Fashola should focus on effective policing.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by araba1(m): 9:28am On Nov 25, 2011
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by maclatunji: 9:37am On Nov 25, 2011
Fashola don dey miss im way patapata on this one and the tenancy law
http://coolstuff49ja..com/2011/09/why-i-think-validity-of-new-lagos.html
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Onlytruth(m): 9:47am On Nov 25, 2011
I used to think that this Fashola is educated.
Nigerian SANs like Fashola are just jokers.
I guess that is why there is the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution.
Nigeria is a freaking jungle.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by AjanleKoko: 9:50am On Nov 25, 2011
Onlytruth:

I used to think that this Fashola is educated.
Nigerian SANs like Fashola are just jokers.
I guess that is why there is the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution.
Nigeria is a freaking jungle.

It's the long years of military rule that has instilled the 'jackboot' mentality in everybody.
Laws are made based on peoples' moods. Even the governed suffer from it. If they like Fashola, then it is perfectly okay if he brutalizes them. That's why people jump on any proclamation he makes, without thinking through the implications.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 25, 2011
Let's just say this bill is seriously flawed, unrealistic, and is unlikely to be passed.

For those advocates of this law, think again. Assuming Landlords have access to background checks on prospective tenants, how does that help? All it shows is the tenant has been crime-free up to the point the checks were made. Or they'd never been caught. A clean background check does not cater for the future. So a tenant turns rogue a year after moving into a property. What does that have to do with his / her Landlord?

A convicted criminal too should not forfeit his / her property, unless it could be proven beyond doubt the said property was purchased with the proceeds of crime. If this bill is passed (unlikely) then it would get to the point Landlords would only rent out to family (still no guarantees, as relatives commit crimes too). I don't reside in Nigeria, but I'm firmly against this bill. As I see things, this is just another means to put the squeeze on the already cash-strapped Lagosians, and enrich the fat cats in power.

Out of interest, which bodies will enforce this outlandish law, and where will the proceeds be spent? I can already see more corrupt government officials becoming thicker around the waist, with more folds on their necks.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 25, 2011
When did this thread get moved to the Property section? I believe the current debate has strong leanings to politics, so should remain in the Politics section.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pukkah: 10:12am On Nov 25, 2011
Did they consider houses that are financed by mortgage loans? There are so many flaws with this law.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by kjhova(m): 10:21am On Nov 25, 2011
Let's say I'm a thief who operates on the Lagos-Ibadan express way axis. I have two rented flats; one in Jakande Estates (built by Lagos Govt) and the other in 1004 flats (recently privatised by FGN). When I get caught, will Lagos state seize Jakande Estates from itself? And will they also grab 1004 flats from the privateers?

I'm ok with Tinubu sniffing dope. He's a big boy and can handle himself. But this Fashola dude?!?!? Get off Tinubu's supply before you hurt yourself!!
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pukkah: 10:27am On Nov 25, 2011
kj_hova:

Let's say I'm a thief who operates on the Lagos-Ibadan express way axis. I have two rented flats; one in Jakande Estates (built by Lagos Govt) and the other in 1004 flats (recently privatised by FGN). When I get caught, will Lagos state seize Jakande Estates from itself? And will they also grab 1004 flats from the privateers?

The one in Jakande Estates or the flat in 1004 would be seized from you because you are the owner. If what you have in either of them is unexpired lease then that is what they would seize.

kj_hova:

I'm ok with Tinubu sniffing drugs. He's a big boy and can handle himself. But this Fashola dude?!?!? Get off Tinubu's supply before you hurt yourself!!

You should be careful when making sensitive statements like this.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by bisiaet: 10:42am On Nov 25, 2011
What is wrong with this man called Fashola? So if Fashola by chance become the president of this then he would be worse than Abacha. Because I have not see his kind of democratic authoritarian governor before. He just doing some things as if he is drunk with power or just talking to wood or animals, ordinary governor this is serious.

He will seize a property that was not build with his money? He will sieze property that is not his fathers property? I guess Fashola is becoming a sick man upstairs or possibly drink Alcohol. He should have say any one that commit crime should be murder because that is how he want to build a mega city or proof oh! he is a a "mighty Igor Governor" or "superman Governor". Nonsense.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by kjhova(m): 10:43am On Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice on being careful Pukkah, I'll always accept such.
Hoping Fashola and Tinubu will be wise enough to take such advise from you also. We voted them in and will vote them out if they show glaring signs of loosing their sanity! Regulating tenancy tenor, capping house rent limit and now holding land owners responsible for the acts of their tenants Are they communist haters of property holders?
I remain OK with Tinubu sniffing drugs. He's a big boy and can handle himself. But this Fashola dude?!?!? He needs to stop hitting on Tinubu's supply before he hurt himself!!
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by bisiaet: 10:56am On Nov 25, 2011
It doesn't make sense. Can't you just prosecute the offender. Does my landlord needs to know what my doing, what if i even lied?

Dont mind him he is surely MAD! That was how he was busy doing irrelevancy proving mighty-man when the entire Lagos almost swept away by flood. Let him go and kill the Landlord because the tenant commit crime and let him tell me a society in the entire world that is crime free. There are courts, law enforcement agency to do their job now he is talking of Landlord to loose their home this man(Fashola) really annoys me with this statement this morning to be frank.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 25, 2011
He is mad! simple.

Let him try it, Lagos State Govt will go broke on the mere number of litigations and lawsuits.
A buffon trying to create more jobs for lawyers
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Baawaa(m): 10:58am On Nov 25, 2011
The law is very unclear now,but it will clear to everbody
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 25, 2011
Baawaa:

The law is very unclear now,but it will clear to everbody

Please could you expand on this? Because right now your comment here's even more confusing than the proposed bill.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Pukkah: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2011
kj_hova:

Thanks for the advice on being careful Pukkah, I'll always accept such.
Hoping Fashola and Tinubu will be wise enough to take such advise from you also. We voted them in and will vote them out if they show glaring signs of loosing their sanity! Regulating tenancy tenor, capping house rent limit and now holding land owners responsible for the acts of their tenants Are they communist haters of property holders?
I remain OK with Tinubu sniffing drugs. He's a big boy and can handle himself. But this Fashola dude?!?!? He needs to stop hitting on Tinubu's supply before he hurt himself!!

You're welcome. I like your attitude.

My bet is that this law won't likely stand the test of time or litigation.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by reagand200(m): 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
Fellow Nairalander,

Please take it easy with each other.
Fashola may have a point .
He may also have a BEEF with the LANDLORDS.
This statement may not refer to 'ordinary' landlords but to a criminal that owns a property.
Lets hold temper and watch events unfold and make our due diligence for now, ok?

Comrado!
Abods.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by speak2me: 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2011
come and get it angry
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by kjhova(m): 1:29pm On Nov 25, 2011
In states in the USA where the gun laws are permissive, a governor won't dare attempt this. Birds will be picking noodles out of the brains of the first government official that tries to confiscate any cowboy's ranch.
If the governor has BEEF with the LANDLORDS, then he deffo has beef with me. I'm not in Lagos to be a tenant for life. And if his statement (which I have just listened to on radio again) is intended only for certified criminal landlords as someone suggested, why doesn't he and his law enforcement agencies just arrest and prosecute such people already? They must have valid evidence to label anybody a criminal?!
The ACN government should get busy constructing all the housing estates they promised us and quit irritating our ear drums with silly pronouncements like this.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by NWFX(m): 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2011
This Fashola guy is completely out of touch ! Maybe he should start by handing lagos over to cameroun for failing to get rid of criminals that run around in his state! The guy don KOLO !!!
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by REPSNIG: 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2011
[size=70pt]NEGRO NTNS YOU ARE DAFT[/size]
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Kx: 2:00pm On Nov 25, 2011
How come all the policies in this second term appears to be significantly different and sometimes anti-people unlike those in the 1st term?
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by UyiIredia(m): 3:19pm On Nov 25, 2011
Another stupid law.
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by bio5naim: 8:28pm On Nov 26, 2011
kudos to Fashola
the best stand up comic in lagos

Eko oni baje
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by Oletunow(m): 1:36am On Nov 28, 2011
I don't see this law standing the test of a drawn out court case,

This is the same Nigeria, where the government with all its might and resources still manage to employ robbers as Policemen and other criminal elements in various government positions.

Armed robbers and kidnappers do not come with stickers on their face and in Nigeria, background checks can be whatever you want it to be depending on the amount of money paid to the police.

Most carrier Armed Robbers & Kidnappers are well to do people who have legitimate employments or verifiable businesses in town.

It is the job of the government to police the society and rid it off of criminal elements, the public should assist the government in this task keeping their safety and that of their family as the singular factor that would determine the exact of their involvement.

The concept behind this law is good and it appear to be a page from the the Banking industry, "know your customer" law, but Nigeria is not ripe for this,
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by chiomzys(f): 10:51am On Jun 23, 2013
Instead of dis why don't they siez the house if any landlord or developer dupe people of their harde arnd money? Dat is causing pain nw.atleast if they siez one others will adjust. Fashola think abouy it 2 help d helpless
Re: Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. by chiomzys(f): 11:26am On Jun 23, 2013
Fashola, if u want 2 seize, seize dat of d landloed and developer who defraud d people without mercy.they are evrywhere now, saying nothing dey happen! Pls where do we report d matter with evidence?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Another Budget Cctv Installation Done For A Nairalander With Pictures / Town Park & Gardens Estate, Ikorodu. Beautiful Estate / Joint Ventures In Lagoon Dredging Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.