Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,844 members, 7,862,764 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:22 AM

Strange Items In My Fuel Tank - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Strange Items In My Fuel Tank (39290 Views)

Nigerian Man Quarrels With Pump Attendant For Filling Up His Fuel Tank (Video) / What's Consuming My Fuel (gas) / See What A Commercial Bus In Lagos Uses As Its Fuel Tank (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Lazenby007(m): 1:39pm On May 25
ogahshtu:
Fuel tank catalyst, argue with your anus at your own peril...... grin grin grin
what sense did you make now for God's sake ? Ehn!
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Lazenby007(m): 1:41pm On May 25
alpharoyalty:

Guy, it is not normal to find catalyst pellets in your fuel tank o.
You need to investigate further with a professional mechanic, not road sides . I will recommend you go to kia office, I think they are on isolo road.
Check if your catalyst converter is even in place.
Nice one,bro. Short and simple answer.
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Blackdisciple(m): 1:51pm On May 25
It is related to fuel pls contact dangote refinery for discussion..
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by wallrichy: 3:14pm On May 25
You are perfectly right. I had the same experience with my Hyundai Sonata, they are both more of the same family with the OP's Kia Optima I believe. My experience was that whenever I buy full tank or even buying fuel....the shoot out of my fuel tanker as the dispensing machine is still filling up, unless, you start dispensing the fuel little by little. I managed it for some months until I went to my auto mechanic but before then, i did obd2 scan on it cos a code later came out from the dashboard. The code Is what I can't remember now but the code directed me to the exact problem of charcoal canister and is rightly located at the mouth of the fuel tank. Located at the mouth of the fuel tank under the car and not the fuel tank entering point of fuel. Please note that. Then I went to my auto mechanic, I first complained but saw that he wasn't really following what was wrong as explained on YouTube on how to rectify that issue, so I showed him the video on how to rectify it. He went under the car and removed the narrow connector connecting the fuel tanker mouth outside with the main fuel tank(fuel storage) under the car. He didn't drop the tank please. It's from the connection you will see the canister chamber, specifically for housing fuel pressure during buying of fuel and hot weather. My own cannister hasn't broken like yours I guess but already sticked together inside the canister. The same particles as yours and same color. We removed it, gently tapped it with spanner so that it can be separated from the body of the canister, then gave it to vulcanizer to use air pressure to blow it out....the particles were so much just like yours....and thereafter we fixed it back without those particles and I cleared the code with my obd2 and ever since ok and running. Hope you can do the same but incase you need more advise, send me a mail to my signature under. Regards

Port443:
That is from your charcoal canister, nothing strange about it. It is part of the emission regulation system. Without it, the pressure from your tank can make the car to explode. The canister ensures that excess fuel vapor is sent to the combustion chamber and burnt properly.

4 Likes

Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Nwaotu10(m): 3:15pm On May 25
Columnar activated carbon, also known as activated charcoal.
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by wallrichy: 3:27pm On May 25
You have said everything. I have tried explaining to him too. You don't even need an expensive mechanic to fix it as long as you can research and understand the issue yourself. I practically told my mechanic what to do till the end cos I have researched and understood the issue like ABC. Though my own particles were still intact the cannister but sticked together. I guess, it's possible that his mechanic used something to push the particles into the storage tank from the canister charcoal cluster house. Highly possible, using force to clear the entrance of the fuel channel from outside...this act can burst the cluster house and set those charcoal free into the fuel chamber/ storage.......that's the picture of the canister you have there my guy. He should know what to do right from where, I think we have tried.......
FILEBE:
People have given you replies here. i can tell you for a fact that it is the charcoals found in your Vapor CANISTER aka charcoal cannister . This canister is attached to the fuel line. it absoves the odur and gases from your petrol. How it got into your fuel tank is what i can't understand. the picture below is where the charcoal is in .

people who always have their tank overflowing when refilling at the fuel station should check this cannister
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Lithiumite: 3:41pm On May 25
id4sho:
Some bomboclat stuffs tongue

They're coming from your charcoal canister. Replace it asap, drain the fuel tank, pull the fuel tank out and run HOT water in the fuel tank to wash any remaining pellets out. It would also be a good idea to blow compressed air through the EVAP lines that run to the fuel tank and check any other EVAP components for pellets. The fuel pump may need some disassembly to remove any pellets that get stuck in it. I've run into this before, PITA to chase down, but was an easy fix once we figured out what was going on. Depending on your mileage, might see if will be covered under warranty. Good luck.

Did you have to copy it word for word!! Feelin like a car buff

1 Like

Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by VanuatuWycombe: 3:48pm On May 25
OP. Owo deee 💵💰💶💸💴

😁😁
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Obierika(m): 4:47pm On May 25
Port443:
That is from your charcoal canister, nothing strange about it. It is part of the emission regulation system. Without it, the pressure from your tank can make the car to explode. The canister ensures that excess fuel vapor is sent to the combustion chamber and burnt properly.

Is the quantity not too much? Almost 30% of the capacity of the fuel tank is gone due to this thing
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by eallstar: 5:23pm On May 25
ayanjamz:
It is called activated charcoal... It is used for cleaning of impurities from gases or liquids. Maybe the original owner was using it to clean the fuel he bought.
Previous owner(s) which one be original owner? Is current owner fake?

1 Like

Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by ITbomb(m): 6:35pm On May 25
Port443:

Get a new one, it's a bit cheap. By the way, it is not found in the tank, it is fastened under the car and hoses goes to it from the tank.
And the charcoal found inside the tank should be thrown away or returned to the tank?
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by fkj950ax(m): 8:35pm On May 25
gbemixyz:
Hello guys, I need your help before I throw this thing away. My Kia Optima 2007 model was misbehaving. I realised it was the fuel pump so we decided to clean the fuel system and the tank as well. We found this stuff inside my tank. Full bucket of it. No smell and it looks like pellets. Please help. Is it debris or stuff put there to react with the petrol before I throw something valuable away

Part of the car’s emissions controls, this charcoal-filled canister’s job is to absorb fuel vapor that would otherwise vent out to the atmosphere, causing pollution. Vapors trapped by the charcoal are released back into the engine through the purge valve and then burned. Charcoal canister problems can often cause the check engine light to go on, and they are often difficult for mechanics to diagnose.

Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by esemes256: 9:24pm On May 25
If the person who is cleaning your tank does not know what this is, then you have some bigger things to worry about.
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by chukel(m): 5:13am On May 26
Your charcoal canister is compromised.
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by chukel(m): 5:19am On May 26
wallrichy:
You are perfectly right. I had the same experience with my Hyundai Sonata, they are both more of the same family with the OP's Kia Optima I believe. My experience was that whenever I buy full tank or even buying fuel....the shoot out of my fuel tanker as the dispensing machine is still filling up, unless, you start dispensing the fuel little by little. I managed it for some months until I went to my auto mechanic but before then, i did obd2 scan on it cos a code later came out from the dashboard. The code Is what I can't remember now but the code directed me to the exact problem of charcoal canister and is rightly located at the mouth of the fuel tank. Located at the mouth of the fuel tank under the car and not the fuel tank entering point of fuel. Please note that. Then I went to my auto mechanic, I first complained but saw that he wasn't really following what was wrong as explained on YouTube on how to rectify that issue, so I showed him the video on how to rectify it. He went under the car and removed the narrow connector connecting the fuel tanker mouth outside with the main fuel tank(fuel storage) under the car. He didn't drop the tank please. It's from the connection you will see the canister chamber, specifically for housing fuel pressure during buying of fuel and hot weather. My own cannister hasn't broken like yours I guess but already sticked together inside the canister. The same particles as yours and same color. We removed it, gently tapped it with spanner so that it can be separated from the body of the canister, then gave it to vulcanizer to use air pressure to blow it out....the particles were so much just like yours....and thereafter we fixed it back without those particles and I cleared the code with my obd2 and ever since ok and running. Hope you can do the same but incase you need more advise, send me a mail to my signature under. Regards

you fixed ur canister without the charcoal in it?
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by nadesh(f): 10:06am On May 26
Conner44:
EVAP canister oti lo cry

The charcoal inside don see beach to swim grin they are on vacation wink

Keep overfilling your fuel tanks at petrol stations feeling like bosses cool una go learn
This is a problem? Wow, I didn’t know
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by HRMK: 12:11pm On May 26
SIMPLY KEEP IT BCS IT COULD BE YOUR WAY TO BECOME A DOLLAR BILLIONAIRE!
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by Kevineleven(m): 2:29pm On May 26
BigDawsNet:

75mil for waste material? 😏
Calm down, just shaking the table .
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by wallrichy: 2:45pm On May 30
Exactly, that's what I did and the problem never surface again.....

chukel:
you fixed ur canister without the charcoal in it?
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by chukel(m): 5:58pm On May 30
wallrichy:
Exactly, that's what I did and the problem never surface again.....

you should have at least put activated charcoal
Re: Strange Items In My Fuel Tank by wallrichy: 6:43pm On May 30
I never knew about that really. Probably if I have a reason to get to that area of my car again to repair something. For now, my brother, I am good.

chukel:
you should have at least put activated charcoal

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

N679m:See World’s Most Expensive Bike With Gold,Diamonds & See-through Engine / Take A Look At The Interior Of This Car. / SA-Based Nigerian Percussionist Olukayode Drove Ferrari That Got Tongues Wagging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.