Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,915 members, 7,863,190 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:48 PM

Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. (30840 Views)

What Do You Think Of This Trend In Wedding Invitations? / Bbnaija Disqualification Of Tacha And Kemen Both From Port Harcourt, A Trend? / Small, Physically Challenged Man Marries Pretty Lady. White Wedding Pics Trend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by realG101(m): 5:41pm On May 26
Sometime in February, I was replying some important whatsapp messages when I suddenly found myself added to a new whatsapp group by a random dude who has my number.

This guy added me to a group that was created for the purpose of monitory contributions for the marriage ceremony of a mutual acquaintance.

The group admin ever since has posted messages at intervals asking members of the group to contribute money for his friend's wedding.

I know the guy who is about to wed quite alright but we are not friends and I'm not sure we have even had a phone conversation together. We just see once in a while and say hello.

The guy getting married didn't even extend any wedding invite to me in person. And while I won't rule out the idea of gifting him for his wedding, I believe adding me to a group and asking me for money is absurd and annoying.

Who else has encountered this kind of situation and how did you handle it.

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by dominique(f): 6:01pm On May 26
If its amongst family members and close friends then its understandable, which one is adding acquaintances or distant relatives to fund your wedding as if they sent you to do big wedding

137 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Mjshexy(f): 6:53pm On May 26
I will excuse myself out of that group, in fact it's disrespectful and annoying for you to add me to a group without seeking my permission first.

153 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by realG101(m): 8:03pm On May 26
dominique:
If its amongst family members and close friends then its understandable, which one is adding acquaintances or distant relatives to fund your wedding as if they sent you to do big wedding

Just weird

6 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by realG101(m): 8:07pm On May 26
Mjshexy:
I will excuse myself out of that group, in fact it's disrespectful and annoying for you to add me to a group without seeking my permission first.

I was really going to do this but you know Nigerians and their sentiments. They will tag you a bad Belle and start drama

I just decided to mute the group activities till it becomes defunct.

119 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by CuriousCart(f): 8:41pm On May 26
If you're between 25-29 then it's common.
By 31 it will stop/reduce.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by iCauseTrouble: 10:21pm On May 26
wink
Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by id4sho(m): 10:21pm On May 26
Naso one of my guys extended relative who lives in USA and planning for marriage in Nigeria. Extended family members that don't know her were asked to contribute for the wedding. My guy protested oOoOO 💯 tongue

9 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by davodyguy: 10:21pm On May 26
Amongst friends, understandable

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Melagros(m): 10:21pm On May 26
COMRADES are laughing at this op grin grin grin
Na today you know about this trend? Wedding fundraising has been in existence in Nigeria since when I was a kid grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by spiceadole: 10:21pm On May 26
Intermittently,I find myself in such groups.
I quietly exit and block the number that added me.
That's all.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by ibrutex(m): 10:22pm On May 26
Why would anybody try this sh*it with me, when I did my wedding did I beg anyone to donate....to serve Nigeria is not by force abeg

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by tommy589(m): 10:22pm On May 26
grin
Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by meobizy(f): 10:22pm On May 26
Opt out of the group, abi them hold your balls?

The word is monetary.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by emmabest2000(m): 10:23pm On May 26
Just put their messages on silent mode and ignore them

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by ChizzyBuna(m): 10:23pm On May 26
Im no longer a supporter of Israel.

I just found out that Jewish people STILL HATE JESUS CHRIST AFTER 2000. YRS AGO angry

FVCK RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR MISLEADING ME

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by haybhi1(m): 10:23pm On May 26
What's your business to do with mine? Lol. I'll just exit group informing no one as well. And you don't even have to hate me afterwards, because I will not notice. You don't have to bottle up angst, waiting till when I'll need your favour too, 'cos it's all down to odds—as we may never even need each other's help.

I don't tolerate rubbish in name of "who knows tomorrow", 'cos it's just another Monday or Tuesday. However, if fate brings me to still be useful in other ways, why not?

Meanwhile, it's never going to be me adding up people into a Whatsapp group for such sake. Lol.

7 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by CapitalBank: 10:24pm On May 26
Becoming?

Maybe you are just noticing it sha.... it has been on for as long as I can remember.

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by MyExpression(m): 10:24pm On May 26
CoF

1 Like

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by CaptainFM1: 10:25pm On May 26
Don't shame us na. It's normal for family and friends to contribute towards a good course. Abi you want make dem steal ni?

1 Like

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:25pm On May 26
Those who get married but looked up to people fundraising on their behalf to finance their wedding are not responsible because if they plan well they will not be dependent or rely on a fund raising team.
They know it's a shame to start a go fund me campaign for their wedding that is why they codedly tag with friends and their loved ones to fundraise for them. Afterall they are the kind that are quick to shame singles who are yet to get married and don't want to proceed through their method

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Emma1Oj(m): 10:27pm On May 26
Reason why before i save anyone number on my phone i must make sure the person understands friendship, relationship etiquette and not someone who will want to impose his/her life on me through one inconsequential group jus because they have my number.

The way i private set my WhatsApp, facebuk, Instagram even X has been saving me from random pple.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by JetStar: 10:28pm On May 26
Make the guy go join the Northerners wey dey do mass marriage. Abi he neva hear say government dey do marriage subsidy. mtcheeeeeeeeew.

Any man thats not ready for marriage shouldn't bother anyone about marriage. A guy who cannot afford to finance a mere ceremony shouldn't get married. Ceremony is the cheapest part of a marriage.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Rebuke: 10:28pm On May 26
Lol
Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Smithwilliams826: 10:29pm On May 26
Who the hell moved this to front page?!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Sirianese: 10:30pm On May 26
realG101:
Sometime in February, I was replying some important whatsapp messages when I suddenly found myself added to a new whatsapp group by a random dude who has my number.

This guy added me to a group that was created for the purpose of monitory contributions for the marriage ceremony of a mutual acquaintance.

The group admin ever since has posted messages at intervals asking members of the group to contribute money for his friend's wedding.

I know the guy who is about to wed quite alright but we are not friends and I'm not sure we have even had a phone conversation together. We just see once in a while and say hello.

The guy getting married didn't even extend any wedding invite to me in person. And while I won't rule out the idea of gifting him for his wedding, I believe adding me to a group and asking me for money is absurd and annoying.

Nigeria is all about greed and exploitation
Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by gbengene1234(m): 10:30pm On May 26
It's quite funny whenever I see such
I just gedif**k outta the f***-k**g group like say na me send your father. Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by VillagePipu: 10:31pm On May 26
realG101:

The person who added your number, copy down his number.
Go online and create an advert of iPhone 15 pro max for 200k, put his number there.
Body go tell am.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by CelestineNelson: 10:31pm On May 26
Imagine raising Money to fund your wedding 💍 💒👰 , how do you intend to feed your family 👪 ...That's modernized Irresponsibility. It shows the fellow is not yet ready for that marriage

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by IMMUNO1(m): 10:31pm On May 26
That one with burial fundraising are already normal. We are currently battling with birthday fundraising.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by NaijaGoBetter2: 10:31pm On May 26
Na by force dem de do wedding ni....? So we we support you for wedding na we go still support you for childcare.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Fundraisers Are Becoming A Trend In Nigeria And It's Absurd. by Sonnobax15(m): 10:31pm On May 26
grin
Na wa....

Why do Nigerians love putting themselves into unnecessary and avoidable pressures?

Even My ordinary primary school WhatsApp group that I was added to two months ago,the moment I realized they were turning it to a billing forum,I just jejely exited the group for them undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Professional Dj/mc For Your Children And Wedding Party / Adorable Wedding Pictures Of Identical Twins And Their Lovely Wives / Two Sisters Die At Enugu Recreational Park During A Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.