Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,099 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment (6024 Views)

Poll: What do you think about this?

Good: 40% (14 votes)
Bad: 60% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Mike Ezuruonye Speaks Chinese In Nollywood Movie / Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films / Fg To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by igbo2011(m): 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2011
Nigerian Government To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment

http://tekedia.com/29814/nigerian-government-invest-n75-billion-nollywood-support-entertainment-industry/

Nigerian government through the Bank of Industry (BOI) and the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) is investing N75 billion funding facility to Nigerian entertainment industry, Nollywood, BusinessNews reports.

The entertainment industry in Nigeria has taken an upward swing in the past decade, drawing the attention of the government and global multilateral funding agencies to the sector’s potential to trigger a major growth in the economy.

The potential of the essential sector of the economy has now led to the arrangement of the N75 billion fund that would be targeted at the different point in the value chain of the entire entertainment industry, from artiste development to video production and editing and then marketing and distribution.

The Managing Director, BOI, Ms Evelyn Oputu, during an annual general symposium organised by the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), said the fund was at the verge of disbursement.

What do you think about this?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by mcnepow(m): 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2011
Coming at the wrong time. There are pressing infrastructural issues that need to be addresed first!
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by ak47mann(m): 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
but president Jonathan approved it since last year undecided
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Nov 24, 2011
No be the same announcement of last year be this?? What is with this administration and recycling TO DO's?? This was discussed back in October of last year and this same administration agreed to inject $200 million or so into Nollywood. We are still in the ANNOUNCING THE INTENT stage??
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Okijajuju1(m): 10:43am On Nov 25, 2011
Why are we using tax payers money to fund an industry that is supposed to be dominated by the private sector?

Why not inject that money into NTA which has turned into a National embarassment
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by crackhouse(m): 11:00am On Nov 25, 2011
Okija_juju:

Why are we using tax payers money to fund an industry that is supposed to be dominated by the private sector?

Why not inject that money into NTA which has turned into a National embarassment
i back u on this. Let nollywood generate their money for themselves. Maybe the government should talk of fighting piracy if they really want to help. Nollywood adds nothing to the federation account so how come FG is talking abt nollywood. Is movie what we need?.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Reggie2(m): 11:03am On Nov 25, 2011
Okija_juju:

^^^^^
Tax payer's money shall be geared towards creating employment for the unemployed and Nollywood will do just that.
Puttam for NTA and Dem go chopam neat yet no employment will be created; guys will still blame gofment for a misplaced priority.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by segunjowo(m): 11:07am On Nov 25, 2011
Let them do something to boost investment in the sector. Mouth too much sef.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by stuhporh: 11:33am On Nov 25, 2011
Tax payer's money shall be geared towards creating employment for the unemployed and Nollywood will do just that.
Puttam for NTA and Dem go chopam neat yet no employment will be created; guys will still blame gofment for a misplaced priority

please tell us how nollywood will create employment jare. and who is in charge of the money self. ok i get it. GEJ will create "ministry of entertainment" aby?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Okijajuju1(m): 11:37am On Nov 25, 2011
Reggie2:

^^^^^
Puttam for NTA and Dem go chopam neat yet no employment will be created; guys will still blame gofment for a misplaced priority.

So why not also invest in Music and music videos as well?

I would want to call it a misplaced priotity, but the truth is that its not even a priority let alone being misplaced.

The money from Nollywood goes straight into the marketers and producers account.

When was the last time you heard the govt. of America sponsored hollywood or a hollywood flick?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by slap1(m): 12:04pm On Nov 25, 2011
What is supposed to be the benefit from this investment?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Baawaa(m): 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2011
75 Billion Naira,for Entertainment!!!that is total rubbish, Money that will be mismanage
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Reggie2(m): 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2011
My little knowledge of economics talks about viable ventures, and such ventures generate more money which in turn have multiple effects in an economic system.

Nollywood is viable, reaching out to a wider world market which translates to more youths being absorbed. (marketers, more actors and actresses, engineers, graphic workers etc.)

Nigerians involved in the film industry are tax payers also; If the PAYE - pay as you earn- still operate, Money injected into it is not dumped into the sea. It's a mistake to always compare our economic needs to that of the USA, we have different exigencies.

Nigeria is in dare need of infrastructural based transformation, this is true, the meagre amount invested on Nollywood will not stop such other bids.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:43pm On Nov 25, 2011
Baawaa:

75 Billion Naira,for Entertainment!!!that is total rubbish, Money that will be mismanage
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by eghost247(m): 12:43pm On Nov 25, 2011
lol@ ministry of entertainment
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by publisher(m): 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
mcnepow:

Coming at the wrong time. There are pressing infrastructural issues that need to be addresed first!

[size=15pt]Are u ok at all? Do u know how many jobs are being created in the Nigerian entertainment scene?Actors,Actresses,Musican,Directors,Producers,Acting coaches,film seller,distributors,camera men,electricians etc?? Infrastructures are useless when there's no human work force to utilize them properly.
Geez!!![/size]
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by ak47mann(m): 12:59pm On Nov 25, 2011
Wonder why people are going against this approval,do you know how many mouths nollywood feeds daily?even make some people dream becomes reality,now Nigeria can boast of big mega stars like their western counterpart.

End of the day nollywood industry have contributed a lot in Nigerians economy,even more than the amount giving to them by F.G.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by ikechukz(m): 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2011
very senseless move,why not invest such money in electricy or are Nigerians going to watch the films with candles or at least try to repair available refineries instead they feel its better to spend it in poor old nollywood.if u ask me i would say there is more to it.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Kx: 1:08pm On Nov 25, 2011
Is this why the bank of Industry was set up?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Okijajuju1(m): 1:42pm On Nov 25, 2011
Nollywood is for a certain cartel.

It is a profit making business. How does this help us?

75billion could be more profitable in Agriculture or even infrastuructures
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by kl2020: 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2011
lets fold our hands and watch like we have been doing for so many years,
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by kl2020: 2:20pm On Nov 25, 2011
*iggaz r the dumbest people on earth!!!!
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by solomon111(m): 2:28pm On Nov 25, 2011
Why do Nigerians like comparing ourselves to america.Hollywood is very viable due to the large funds it receives in form of investment.Nollywood which is the third largest in the world,even without govt funds can be as viable.Remember that taxes and employment capacities depend on the largeness and viability of any industry.Taxes and employment capacity would increase astronomically,if those funds are used judiciously. And why should it be invested in electricity after all the money that has been spent without improvement.HE WHO IS FAITHFUL IN LITTLE WILL BE FAITHFUL IN MUCH.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by youngmonie: 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2011
Not a bad idea, but to me I dnt fee the industry is ripe enough yet. Certain things need to be sorted out: PIRACY, COPY RIGHT LAWS, and most of all expertise in the industry. If those three are not sorted out I really dont see how this industry can function at its full potential
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by UyiIredia(m): 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2011
The amount of money doesn't impress me; only how it will be spent.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547032.0.html

I was just looking through Mr President's facebook page and his latest status proudly announced the investment of 200million dollars in our entertainment industry? I'm shocked!!! here is the post below:

During my series of notes in the run up to Nigeria's fiftieth independence anniversary, I expressed a desire to grow Nigeria's entertainment industry into a world class one where we would see Nollywood movies being played in theatres and grossing hundreds of millions of Naira as well as have recording artists like Tuface Idibia, Dbanj, Banky W, P-Square, Timi Dakolo, Weird MC and co selling millions of records and generating wealth for themselves, their record companies, marketers and tour promoters and by so doing expanding the non oil sector of the economy. Now in furtherance of this, I have just attended the 30th anniversary celebrations of the Silverbird group where I announced a Federal investment of 200 million dollars (about 30 billion naira) as a direct intervention lifeline for the exclusive purpose of supporting artist and developing our entertainment industry. This may not be a lot of money, but it is a beginning. In seeking to diversify Nigeria's revenue base, we must think outside the box and I am expectant that this fund will make Nigeria the African entertainment capital in the not too distant future. It is my vision that every producer whether in the film or music industry, every actor or actress, fashion designers or artist must have opportunity to access cheap, long-term funding to grow their business: make movies, write hit songs, build malls, build cinemas, provide jobs and give hope to our people!GEJ
http://www.facebook.com/notes/goodluck-jonathan/investing-in-the-entertainment-industry/169665536394423

we've heard this sheet before. does the hatted monkey think we all have amnesia?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 25, 2011
ikechukz:

very senseless move,why not invest such money in electricy or are Nigerians going to watch the films with candles or at least try to repair available refineries instead they feel its better to spend it in poor old nollywood.if u ask me i would say there is more to it.
seconded
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by solomon111(m): 6:27pm On Nov 25, 2011
oyb:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547032.0.html

we've heard this sheet before. does the hatted monkey think we all have amnesia?
Take it easy man,he is your president.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by donclemo(m): 6:40pm On Nov 25, 2011
deal with Piracy first after all if we spend much in producing movie we wouldn't make any money with piracy
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by dare2think: 8:25pm On Nov 25, 2011
How about electricity to actually watch the movies.

This should be way down on the To Do list of the president.
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by NnaNna4(m): 9:09pm On Nov 25, 2011
Thank you jesus for atleast having my president think in this direction.

Oh God please forgive every1 that has said something stupid. i know nairaland people they are never appreciative.

If the money is missing like our foreign reserve,they will still do nothing but curse and nagg and now some1 has decided to channel it as a
fund(u borrow and pay) they are still not appreciative.

now i understand y this leaders dont bother doing the right things because we havent learn to stop nagging. i will kneel down and pray and hope

it is done atleast

I want hi-tech digital machine for our films

powerful costumes and foreign theater designs

series film shot in different continents

foriegn and local director working parripassu

infact we are missing so many thing and still hangin third in world, my god with this funding i kow my producers, they will go nuclear

with india behind us.

this is a move in the right direction. how much is US generating from wrestling alone?
Re: FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment by sheyguy: 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2011
ikechukz:

OR

Give out N750,000 each to 100,000(one hundred thousand) Nigerians each for various SMSEs ideas that will complement the few industries we already have on ground. At least some of those SMSEs can develop into industries too. They will rather give it too one PDP member who has not been rewarded for his role in bringing GEJ to power.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ash Vs Evil Dead Official Thread / Watch WAR Room / The Contract Movie By Dyoungstar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.