Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films (7200 Views)

Another Young Nigerian Makes Short Film, Puts Nollywood To Shame / FG To Invest N75 Billion In Nollywood To Support Entertainment / Del-york International Takes Nollywood To Brazil To Celebrate Tunde Kelani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by semid4lyfe(m): 5:22am On Sep 12, 2012

The Bayelsa State government on Wednesday organized a one day symposium with the aim of promoting the makıng of fılms ın Izon and other indigenous languages in Nigeria.

The governor of Bayelsa State, Seriake Dickson, who was represented by hıs deputy Gboribiogha John Jonah, told guest at the symposium, that the government is interested in the project and will support the rich heritage of the Izon race.

In hıs remark, Mr Jonah stressed on the resolve of the state Government to encourage mandatory teachıng of the Ijaw language ın schools.

“When we can produce students that will be proficient in writing in our language then they can actually act in the language. They must be able to read and write in the language before they are able to act,” the deputy governor said.

The symposium, which attracted top Nollywood actors, took place in Yenagoa the Bayelsa State capital.

Nollywood actor, Olu Jacob emphasızed the need for fılms to be made ın our ındıgenous languages.

“There are already Hausa language movies, Igbo language movies, why should there not be Ijaw language movies,” he asked.

Mr Jacob said acting movies in indigenous language is good for communication.

“English is not our language. It is our joy; it is our pride to use our language to communicate. The power, the joy and love in that language will be lost when you translate it,” he said.

Veteran actress Hılda Dokubo also applauded the ıdea, referrıng to ıt as a welcomed development.

“This is not only a welcome idea but an idea that is very fruitful and productive,” she said.

Wıth thıs ınnovatıon the Nollywood ındustry ıs gradually taking ıts root ın Bayelsa State.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/06/nollywood-to-start-producing-ijaw-films/
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by semid4lyfe(m): 6:36am On Sep 12, 2012
Not sure this is what we need in the Industry right now

Emphasis should be on making quality movies and not churning out movies in Indigenous languages

No be na wa, na real wa undecided

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Sep 12, 2012
Is Nollywood a person?

I really hope that one day we'll start producing films to include our local langages. Local languages musn't be spoken throught the movie but it should be spoken where needed. For instance, if you're gonna shoot a movie that involves an office, it will be ok to use english while the actor in the office, sicne that's the language that's usually spoken in offices. But when the character in the movie goes home and wants to buy something from mama Nkechi, the person should switch to pidgin English because it's most unlikely that people communicate with their local retailer in Queens English. If the person goes to the village, then Igbo or whichever language that's spoken in the village should be spoken. I find it annoying that out Nollywood people will make villagers to speak English when that's not the reality of things. I hope we'll learn to get things right.

7 Likes

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by mallorca(m): 10:21am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva: Is Nollywood a person?
i wonder oo!
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Standing5(m): 10:24am On Sep 12, 2012
Film Titles to expect: Fisher Love,The River and The Village, My dear Canoe, The Marine world, The Lucky One, The Messiah, Coming to Bomadi, The Amnesty, The Parasite, The Black Gold. Also:

The Lost Intruder - A film about Fulani intruder who were trapped by water bodies.
The Struggle - The Militancy Legend and their stories (Tompolo, Gej, Boyloaf, Okah and co.).
Kingdom of Awuf - A film of the percieved haters of Ijaws used their resources.
Marginalization - The Story of Ijaw land underdevelopment.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 12, 2012
semid4lyfe: Not sure this is what we need in the Industry right now

Emphasis should be on making quality movies and not churning out movies in Indigenous languages

No be na wa, na real wa undecided
don't mind those yeye nollywound people! When their counterparts in the western world are busy advancing in film making,they are here shooting films without using a celluloid.we want quality not quantity!
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by sexyverah(f): 10:27am On Sep 12, 2012
i have an ijaw film i am workin on already .. the title is called SHOELESS PRESIDENT... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by ignis: 10:27am On Sep 12, 2012
Atleast it would be counted as one of the acheievement of GEJ .... In his tenure Nollywood start producing film in Ijaw - his language. Its not an easy thing at all.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by tunapawizzy: 10:27am On Sep 12, 2012
Okay
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Acidosis(m): 10:33am On Sep 12, 2012
Standing5: Film Titles to expect: Fisher Love,The River and The Village, My dear Canoe, The Marine world, The Lucky One, The Messiah, Coming to Bomadi.

How about "The man without shoes"
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Afam4eva(m): 10:35am On Sep 12, 2012
Standing5: Film Titles to expect: Fisher Love,The River and The Village, My dear Canoe, The Marine world, The Lucky One, The Messiah, Coming to Bomadi.
You forgot to add:

From the creeks with love

Mr and Mrs Tompolo

Resource Control

24 days to Derivation(action film)

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by natureem: 10:35am On Sep 12, 2012
Very funny thread cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 12, 2012
Be ready to see more Ogogoro drunkards on scene grin
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by semid4lyfe(m): 10:39am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Local languages musn't be spoken throught the movie but it should be spoken where needed. For instance, if you're gonna shoot a movie that involves an office, it will be ok to use english while the actor in the office, sicne that's the language that's usually spoken in offices. But when the character in the movie goes home and wants to buy something from mama Nkechi, the person should switch to pidgin English because it's most unlikely that people communicate with their local retailer in Queens English. If the person goes to the village, then Igbo or whichever language that's spoken in the village should be spoken. I find it annoying that out Nollywood people will make villagers to speak English when that's not the reality of things. I hope we'll learn to get things right.

True and it's one of the reasons why I like The Figurine and rate it very high. It gives the movie a realistic feel and brings it closer home for the viewer. Here's an excerpt from my review of The Figurine last year

https://www.nairaland.com/628119/what-last-movie-watched-part/41

I absolutely love the language used in the movie. . . .the combination of English, Pidgin and Yoruba spoken was perfect for a story set in 21st century Lagos and it wasn't misused at all in relation to the characters. As in, characters who were supposed to speak English to each other spoke English and those who were supposed to speak Pidgin or Yoruba spoke exactly that. For example, it would have being foolish for Shola to have conversed with his Lecturer in Pidgin or Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Afam4eva(m): 10:43am On Sep 12, 2012
@semid4lyfe
You were spot on. I think that's one of the few things i like about figurine too even though i keep complaining that it wasn't really entertaining. It's unlike the Yoruba movies where people speak Yoruba to their boss in the office, speak it to their lecturer and to everybody they come across. I don't think that's right.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 12, 2012
"The Retardeeen and his cluelessness".it will be produced by DemDem and directed by Dayokanu grin

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Standing5(m): 10:44am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You forgot to add:

Mr and Mrs Tompolo

Resource Control

The Borne Leech (A film for our Sokoto Caliphate and their Born Top Rule mentality)
Now or Never.(A sequel to "The Resource Sharing Formula Ultimatum"wink
The Mandate.
50 50 Movement.
The South South Liberation.
Lol

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 12, 2012
ok oo. Very soon d Kanuris would clamour for deir own movies, d igbiras, idoma, efik, t.i.v etc wuld also join. Mtcheww.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Demdem(m): 10:56am On Sep 12, 2012
berem: "The Retardeeen and his cluelessness".it will be produced by DemDem and directed by Dayokanu grin

That will surely be a blockbuster grin grin
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by slimming: 10:56am On Sep 12, 2012
That is to honor the president
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:58am On Sep 12, 2012
"Poducing"? lol
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by Kx: 11:00am On Sep 12, 2012
Standing5: Film Titles to expect: Fisher Love,The River and The Village, My dear Canoe, The Marine world, Coming to Bomadi
Sounds nice really,just like Coming to America.
I hope they show environmental degradation, long term effect of Gas Flaring on Humans,Plants and Animals, effects of exposure to radioactive materials due to oil exploitation, poverty and hunger in the midst of wealth,local chiefs corrupt tendencies etc in the Ijaw films, otherwise, the whole project would have lost its meaning.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by sharpman1(m): 11:01am On Sep 12, 2012
Standing5: Film Titles to expect: Fisher Love,The River and The Village, My dear Canoe, The Marine world, The Lucky One, The Messiah, Coming to Bomadi, The Amnesty, The Parasite, The Black Gold. Also:

The Lost Intruder - A film about Fulani intruder who were trapped by water bodies.
The Struggle - The Militancy Legend and their stories (Tompolo, Gej, Boyloaf, Okah and co.).
Kingdom of Awuf - A film of the percieved haters of Ijaws used their resources.
Marginalization - The Story of Ijaw land underdevelopment.

Please add

'Jonathan and the shoes of destiny'

1 Like

Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by solomon111(m): 11:04am On Sep 12, 2012
Why do you people derive pleasure in humilating your president,in the face of the world?
Smh.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by semid4lyfe(m): 11:06am On Sep 12, 2012
berem: don't mind those yeye nollywound people! When their counterparts in the western world are busy advancing in film making,they are here shooting films without using a celluloid.we want quality not quantity!

A movie can be shot with celluloid/advanced equipments and still be shyte e.g Mirror Boy tongue

I've seen some decent Nollywood movies that were shot with the home video camera.

Nollywood problem dey complex and multi-faceted

KingMEXX: ok oo. Very soon d Kanuris would clamour for deir own movies, d igbiras, idoma, efik, t.i.v etc wuld also join. Mtcheww.

What are they clamouring for? Na resource control undecided
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by ireke(m): 11:11am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You forgot to add:

Mr and Mrs Tompolo

Resource Control

Also...
Once upon a shoeless boy
Journey from the creek to the villa
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by haruna1970(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2012
Good. We can now learn to showcase the art of militancy.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by wandeay: 11:19am On Sep 12, 2012
One of GEJ's achievement,
huh?
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by klax(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2012
Well I seem dont get what this thread meant because is Nollywood a person or a film industry I guess the moderator should get a better heading for this thread.

And by the way I dont see anything wrong if such movie can be produce I belief every tribe has the right to be proud of thier own dialect at least this is one of the thing i'm so proud of about the Yoruba actors acting films in thier dialect despite i'm not Yoruba I love their film and i'm so proud of them to be honest.

Let Ijaw goes on produce their own film and let other tribes join and give us something a bit different to be honnest all these Nollywood films are turning to craps and very boring because all are same line of story in different making. Our culture and dialect are our pride, our identity and our legacy. God bless.
Re: Nollywood To Start Producing Ijaw Films by wandeay: 11:26am On Sep 12, 2012
They said the movies will be produced in ijaw language, so expect something like;
Egberi Mene Sekrime Jonah,
Pelekrime Patiencee,
Otuagha Otuoke Niger Delta Creek, etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marco Polo (TV Series Season 1 2014 -) / Check Out Crazy Shower Videos From The Big Brother Africa Hotshot Day 40 / Long Walk To Nothing - 2019 Latest Nollywood Blockbuster Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.