Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? (2288 Views)

Nigerians Are The Most Respectful People In The World! / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? / The Conquest of Nigeria: What Went Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Maisuya1: 6:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
I have stayed in yobe, kaduna, Niger, Abuja, and Lagos, and I Have stayed in places with significant Igbo populations, I have come to noticed that their kids are very respectful even the teenagers, they greet you MOSTLY when u walk pass them. I find it quite interesting coz even our own kids (hausas) don't bother to greet their elders anymore, and the yorubas don't either, coz if they did I would have noticed,

What's your view on this?
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by anonymous6(f): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
If Lagos is the only place you assessed Yoruba's then you really haven't assessed them. All  I will tell you is Yoruba's are very respectful to their elders when it comes to kneeling to their parents to grandparents and etc. I don't know about Hausa's and other tribes but Yoruba's respect their elders in yorubaland. So I disagree with your assessment but that doesn't mean I am saying that non-yoruba tribes are not respectful but when it comes to "most respectful" that is in another level because assessing respect is beyond just noticing people greeting you on the street as far as I am concerned.
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Maisuya1: 7:08pm On Nov 24, 2011
^
I agree with you if it comes to elders in ones particular tribe, u can't take it away from the yorubas.

But am speaking about seniors in general, irrespective of if they r your tribe or not, the Igbo kids and teenagers r slightly more respectful.
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by anonymous6(f): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2011
Mai-suya:

^
I agree with you if it comes to elders in ones particular tribe, u can't take it away from the yorubas.

But am speaking about seniors in general, irrespective of if they r your tribe or not, the Igbo kids and teenagers r slightly more respectful.

oh ok, I guess I understand what you mean
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 24, 2011
Not just their seniors, Igbo kids are very respectful to their elders, you'll see more of that when you go to the south-east.

It is a taboo to walk pass a stranger talk less of a known elderly without greeting.

Unlike the yorubas, knelling and prostrating to a fellow human being is seen as weird, and in some cases wrong(many elders will object to it, telling you that they are not gods, and may advise you not to do so in future).
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by aljharem3: 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2011
@ pOSTER

i i AGREE with you on this, I noticed it too. Yes even in Lagos
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by aljharem3: 8:39pm On Nov 24, 2011
mbatuku2:

Not just their seniors, Igbo kids are very respectful to their elders, you'll see more of that when you go to the south-east.

It is a taboo to walk pass a stranger talk less of a known elderly without greeting.

Unlike the yorubas, knelling and prostrating to a fellow human being is seen as weird, and in some cases wrong(many elders will object to it, telling you that they are not gods, and may advise you not to do so in future).

@Bolded

what does that have to do with anything ?

It is there tradition don't you think ?
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by anonymous6(f): 8:44pm On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

@Bolded

Cosign 100%
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

@Bolded

Well, I was just contrasting the different world views because some people(ie yorubas) confuse genuflection and prostration as a standard of being more respectful.
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Relax101(m): 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2011
mbatuku2:

This is so true.
Experienced it.
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Obiagu1(m): 12:12am On Nov 25, 2011
mbatuku2:

Well, I was just contrasting the different world views because some people(ie yorubas) confuse genuflection and prostration as a standard of being more respectful.

That's what people don't understand. They think you're more respectful by prostrating.

@ May-suya, you're observation is correct judging by the number of cities you've been to. It's a taboo to disrespect an elder in Igboland. This is how we were all brought up.
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by HighChief4(m): 1:20am On Nov 25, 2011
@OP---You are very right. Igbo kids are respectful to both family members and strangers who are their elders
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Maisuya1: 8:00am On Nov 25, 2011
I would prefer confirmation by others not just Igbo guys.

What do u think accounts for this?
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:13am On Nov 25, 2011
For a second there, I though that this was the actual poster "Mai Suya" (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=263367), but I see now that it's a completely different individual with a similar name (or sense of humor).

@ topic, I don't really understand the example you gave in the opening post. Are you talking about children greeting strangers or about people they know or see everyday? I find it hard to imagine that the kids in any of the groups you mentioned could get away with not greeting their elders if they knew these elders, so perhaps you should be more specific. . .
Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Maisuya1: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2011
Yes the other maisuya is the son of my mothers uncle, He opened a new suya spot in Dubai, so u won't be seeing him here soon,

Concerning the topic i mean strangers, in the sence that u don't know them but they r responsible looking and u know they live around in the neighbourhood. Igbo kids are good at that. Whenever I move to a new state newly and I walk pass kids the most likely to say *good afternoon sir* is an Igbo kid, even though am in my Hausa attire.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? by Araboy(m): 4:30pm On Nov 25, 2011
I am not  Igbo  but I must agree that Igbo are one of the most respectful and friendly People in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Black Race, IQ, Intelligence And Eugenics. / Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. / Ethiopian Music And Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.