Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. (2289 Views)

10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The World / Igala Nigerian American In The NFL / African American In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
Having one Nigerian parent is hard. I came to Nigeria in 2007. I don't understand why people here think I should renounce my 'Americanism'. I always explain that being American and just having American citizenship are two different things, and I let people know that I didn't choose to grow up and be socialized into American culture. I often get called lost or, the one I hate the most, a former - this means I'm acting American. I understand this train of thought because one does come across many wannabe Americans here, but people should get to know me first before concluding. They should know that I have just as many ties to America as any other person who calls themselves American. They should also know that I will correct them when they make fool-hearted assumptions about America. And they should know that I do the same thing to Americans who speak down on Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
What the hell is "acting American" Is that the same thing as me telling Chima he is "acting African"

Ignorance is definitely global.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by suyu: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican: Having one Nigerian parent is hard. I came to Nigeria in 2007. I don't understand why people here think I should renounce my 'Americanism'. I always explain that being American and just having American citizenship are two different things, and I let people know that I didn't choose to grow up and be socialized into American culture. I often get called lost or, the one I hate the most, a former - this means I'm acting American. I understand this train of thought because one does come across many wannabe Americans here, but people should get to know me first before concluding. They should know that I have just as many ties to America as any other person who calls themselves American. They should also know that I will correct them when they make fool-hearted assumptions about America. And they should know that I do the same thing to Americans who speak down on Nigeria.

but you are american be proud of it and stop complaining

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by slimyem: 6:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
what's the op really on about?

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by tpia5: 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
do you care to know what folks pass through in america?

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by ifyalways(f): 8:33pm On Aug 22, 2012
@OP, try being Nigerian in America.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by Abagworo(m): 8:55pm On Aug 22, 2012
That's Nigerian culture for you. If your father is Yoruba and your mother is Hausa, we dismiss the Hausa part in its entirety whith regards to what we call you. So if your mother happens to be American and you see yourself as being both Nigerian and American, we will not accept the American part just like if your father is American and your mother Nigerian, we will not consider you Nigerian. To avoid much ado about nothing, just act like a Nigerian when in Nigeria and American when in America. Another hint, Nigerian guys consider it gay for a man to speak like Oyibo and you might not find love amongst Nigerian guys because of your American accent.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima(f): 9:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
Do you think it is also gay to speak English or French with an African accent?

Madness!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:16pm On Aug 22, 2012
Abagworo: That's Nigerian culture for you. If your father is Yoruba and your mother is Hausa, we dismiss the Hausa part in its entirety whith regards to what we call you. So if your mother happens to be American and you see yourself as being both Nigerian and American, we will not accept the American part just like if your father is American and your mother Nigerian, we will not consider you Nigerian. To avoid much ado about nothing, just act like a Nigerian when in Nigeria and American when in America. Another hint, Nigerian guys consider it gay for a man to speak like Oyibo and you might not find love amongst Nigerian guys because of your American accent.

"Another hint, Nigerian guys consider it gay for a man to speak like Oyibo"

I've been here for over four and a half years and haven't heard this...Good info., I think...LOL!!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:17pm On Aug 22, 2012
tpia@:
do you care to know what folks pass through in america?

Who me?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
ifyalways: @OP, try being Nigerian in America.

I suppose you're right. There are many stereotypes associated with Nigerians in America.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2012
suyu:

but you are american be proud of it and stop complaining

I'm in no way complaining...I'm proud of my American family and wish for more understanding from Nigerians...Plain and simple!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
What the hell is "acting American" Is that the same thing as me telling Chima he is "acting African"

Ignorance is definitely global.

There are many Nigerians, young and old, who emulate Americans and American culture on a daily basis...I can spot the actors a mile away. People who don't understand what it means to be an African-American who has had the opportunity to know at least one side of his true African identity - I'm talking about myself - need help! Global indeed!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

"Another hint, Nigerian guys consider it gay for a man to speak like Oyibo"

I've been here for over four and a half years and haven't heard this...Good info., I think...LOL!!

What part of Nigeria have you stayed or staying?

I have been to Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

There are many Nigerians, young and old, who emulate Americans and American culture on a daily basis...I can spot the actors a mile away. People who don't understand what it means to be an African-American who has had the opportunity to know at least one side of his true African identity - I'm talking about myself - need help! Global indeed!

I hear what you are saying however...the "acting something" is ignorant to me. People need to be more specific when they are making references to an individual person without basing a whole country, tribe, religion, and region.

If they have an issue with your attitude then they should have been more concise by saying, "you think you are arrogant" then that would mean the person had some formal education/training.

It is almost saying, "you are suicidal like Chinese people" ....what Chinese people have to do with YOU

Madness!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
The thing about Nigerian ppl, home or abroad, is that they'll find sth to to say about you no matter what.

It's like a normal society.

My cousin (one that was born and bred in America) has been living in Nigeria since 2007-08, and he enjoys it. Stop complaining and use your "Americanism" to your advantage.

"You act ghetto"
"You act white"
"You act black"
"You act like a redneck"

etc. . . .
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

What part of Nigeria have you stayed or staying?

I have been to Lagos and Abuja.

I go back and forth from Abuja to Adamawa State. I've been to Ibadan (where my father is from), Kaduna, Bauchi, Gombe, and Jos. I've only had the chance to go through Lagos - just the airports.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
The thing about Nigerian ppl, home or abroad, is that they'll find sth to to say about you no matter what.

It's like a normal society.

My cousin (one that was born and bred in America) has been living in Nigeria since 2007-08, and he enjoys it. Stop complaining and use your "Americanism" to your advantage.

"You act ghetto"
"You act white"
"You act black"
"You act like a redneck"

You've got a good point there but you should still know that I'm not "complianing",I just don't understand why Nigerians act the way they do when it comes to understanding people who are different from them...My father says it's jealousy...I'm not so sure.

etc. . . .
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes it's jealous, but other times it's humans' need to classify things they do not understand. Makes things easier.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:48pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I hear what you are saying however...the "acting something" is ignorant to me. People need to be more specific when they are making references to an individual person without basing a whole country, tribe, religion, and region.

If they have an issue with your attitude then they should have been more concise by saying, "you think you are arrogant" then that would mean the person had some formal education/training.

It is almost saying, "you are suicidal like Chinese people" ....what Chinese people have to do with YOU

Madness!

It really is straight ignorance...I always tell people to go to the country first before juding how the people are! Nigerians are very bad when it comes to assumptions...They believe that African-American culture can be summed up by the likes of Lil' Wayne and Rick Ross and that's just not so!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 10:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

I go back and forth from Abuja to Adamawa State. I've been to Ibadan (where my father is from), Kaduna, Bauchi, Gombe, and Jos. I've only had the chance to go through Lagos - just the airports.

Cool. Lagos is more congested than New York City!!! Whoooweeee!!!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:51pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Sometimes it's jealous, but other times it's humans' need to classify things they do not understand. Makes things easier.

That makes perfect sense!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:52pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Cool. Lagos is more congested than New York City!!! Whoooweeee!!!

Where are you from?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by anonymous6(f): 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican: Having one Nigerian parent is hard. I came to Nigeria in 2007. I don't understand why people here think I should renounce my 'Americanism'. I always explain that being American and just having American citizenship are two different things, and I let people know that I didn't choose to grow up and be socialized into American culture. I often get called lost or, the one I hate the most, a former - this means I'm acting American. I understand this train of thought because one does come across many wannabe Americans here, but people should get to know me first before concluding. They should know that I have just as many ties to America as any other person who calls themselves American. They should also know that I will correct them when they make fool-hearted assumptions about America. And they should know that I do the same thing to Americans who speak down on Nigeria.

I don't think you should bother yourself but to be honest Nigerians in Nigeria can tell if you are from there or not, and it you are not that's when you hear this stuff. Also they should know better based on your back ground to put that pressure on you.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 10:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Where are you from?

I am in America and I am not Nigerian but my husband is. wink
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:56pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I am in America. wink

Where? And are you connected to Nigeria in any way?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:57pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I am in America and I am not Nigerian but my husband is. wink

Gotcha! What part of the states do y'all live in?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Gotcha! What part of the states do y'all live in?

That's classified information suga. wink

Hint: It is hot as hell where we at now!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

That's classified information suga. wink

Hint: It is hot as hell where we at now!

Okay...It must be the south!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:01pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Okay...It must be the south!

No comment! wink Are you married?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

No comment! wink Are you married?

Yes ma'am! She was born and raised in Nigeria...Her and my son are probably the only two things that make me not regret coming to this country.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Yes ma'am! She was born and raised in Nigeria...Her and my son are probably the only two things that make me not regret coming to this country.

Awwwww. Is she Yoruba like you? I bet your son is cute. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black Race, IQ, Intelligence And Eugenics. / Has Anyone Ever Met A Nairalander In Person?? / Igbo Vs Ibo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.