Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Gear Box Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gear Box Problem (5602 Views)

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem / Gear Box Problem? Read My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 12:08pm On Nov 25, 2011
Pls post ur GEAR BOX problems here

lets help you

1 Like

Re: Gear Box Problem by GODISGOD(m): 12:51pm On Nov 25, 2011
ARE TALKING OF AUTO OR MANUAL
Re: Gear Box Problem by jenny8023(f): 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2011
if i meet this kind of problem, i will contact you. grin
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 25, 2011
Gearmaster no1:

Pls post your GEAR BOX problems here

lets help you

I've got a 1997 Audi A8 4,2 V8 quattro.

The gear display (PRND) has suddenly all lit up in red. What does this mean?
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 6:19pm On Nov 25, 2011
We repair manual and automatic, any gear excluding TRUCK
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 6:19pm On Nov 25, 2011
We repair manual and automatic, any gear excluding TRUCK
Re: Gear Box Problem by Chukky86: 11:16pm On Nov 25, 2011
i have problem with babyboy 1999 problem. it keeps jerking at 1, before changing to 2, it idle, before it changes. have been having this issue for the past 4months, have serviced the sensors. still remain the same, is there anything i can do. or do i need to replace the Gear.?
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 12:41am On Nov 26, 2011
@Siena
.take d car for scanning
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 8:22am On Nov 26, 2011
@chukky,can u drive d car to our workshop? Are u ready to repair it
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 12:43pm On Nov 26, 2011
Dont wait for ur GEAR BOX to go dead before u look for us

service this gear today

call us nw
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 26, 2011
Gearmaster no1:

@Siena
.take d car for scanning

This came up on a scan:

17090 - transmission range sensor (F125): Implausible signal.
17118 P0734 Gear 4 - incorrect ratio
17119 P0735 Gear 5 - incorrect ratio
17114 P0730 Gear Ratio Control - incorrect ratio
17087 P0703 Torque converter/Brake Switch B Circuit - Malfunction

What's the transmission range sensor, and where is it located, is it inside the transmission? Any ideas overall what's wrong?

What does a service entail, if the transmission is healthy, as in what is replaced, and rough estimate of cost?
Re: Gear Box Problem by sultaan(m): 3:56pm On Nov 26, 2011
me me me can I have a go? grin

The range that controls the transmission sensor is a sensor(nigerian version)

In 5 minutes I looked online figured where its located , what it looks like and possibly how it works(based on its location on trans cable)

Probably tells the ECU what gear you're on to match with engine speed(?)

Replacement looks very easy, read the 2 threads

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/how-replace-audi-a6-transmission-range-sensor-switch-138769/

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=333745

may be wrong but this gives an idea of where to start.

Always start with the first code on DTCs

Gearmaster no1 is probably trying to start an online biz, has not really show any experience from all his response so far in my opinion.

No offence intended, If I have really worked on transmissions and someone says trans jerks and ideals before changing, my response won't be "don't wait for gearbox to go dead" should at least pull a reasonable response out of your bag of experience.

"Oga your transmission seems to be slipping, check the color of the fluid(although its not a true indicator) you may probably have a check engine light on, I'll advice you to bring it into our shop for a closer look the more you wait the more expensive it will get to fix"

2 Likes

Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 27, 2011
^^^ Lol, Sultaan. I knew all the answers to all I was requesting, the range sensor is the "F" switch. I've replaced several, it's on the left of the transmission, and requires the catalysts and tranny mount on that side to access. A bear of a job. On the RS6, there's more room to work, even with the catalyst in place.

I just want to know how good Gearmaster is, and if he could give the correct answers. I'd still like to get his views on things, it's been a while since I posted my query.
Re: Gear Box Problem by oblo(m): 12:04pm On Nov 27, 2011
grin - I laff in Audi language!! When I saw ur question Sienna I knew I should monitor the response of gear master closely. When I saw his response after a whole lot while I said to myself : that's a NO NO answer to a grandmaster guru in all things audi!!! For me I feel if he knew his onions well his response should have been better!!
Re: Gear Box Problem by sultaan(m): 4:11pm On Nov 27, 2011
I knew you were digging a big hole.

The man has never given a direct response to any inquiry.

He will come back an apologize for not responding sooner, I just wish he could be of real help to all these users wasting money on minor service problems. The man want you to take your car for scanning if it has a problem but he will fix the gear box.Was he not suppose to scan before fixing?

Its good to have people like Ikenna351 here, he understands troubleshooting and the Naija language.

There are a few users who share knowledge not for financial gain hope Grandmaster01 will give out some tips to fellow users.

Chukky86:

i have  problem with babyboy 1999 problem. it keeps jerking at 1,  before changing to 2,  it idle,  before it changes. have been having this issue for the past 4months,  have serviced the sensors. still remain the same,  is there anything i can do. or do i need to replace the Gear.?

Sensors don't get services, they get replaced if bad. Your mechanic might buy a Mercedes will you try to fix your Honda grin

Basically he has done nothing sensible to fix it.
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 4:48pm On Nov 27, 2011
@ll

am nt ready to compare or brag about gear experience or profession,i already no some pple aim tryin to push questn to me,

If you ve some1 wit gear probs,ask dem to c me, call n we fix it, i am nt showin off talent, pls Nlers, its nt everytin dat we ve to do wit CASH
Re: Gear Box Problem by sultaan(m): 6:38pm On Nov 27, 2011
No offence intended, but with 11 posts with none indication you are familiar with any part of a transmission.

We all should be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

I take things the way I see it.If am wrong I do apologize.
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 27, 2011
Bring all the gears to my house I ca fix gears too. From peugeot to ford, from toyota to volkswagen, from nissan to benz. from chevy to mazda, from pontiac to mitsubishi, from daewoo to opel, from vauxhall to seat, from cady to lexus, from range to bmw, from etc to etc. any gear; just bring. Gbam it is fixed. For enquiries call my No. or send me an e-mail. grin
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2011
Call dis number now and ask or tell us your GEAR PROBLEMS FOR SOLUTION OR ADVISE

Mr. Gani 08023245831
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2011
Call dis number now and ask or tell us your GEAR PROBLEMS FOR SOLUTION OR ADVISE

Mr. Gani 08023245831
Re: Gear Box Problem by Gearmasterno1: 4:16pm On Nov 28, 2011
Siena and chuky

pls drive ur car to allen opebi link, under bridge, ask of gani , gearmaster no1

lets check the GEAR

Mr. Gani 08023245831
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 28, 2011
Gearmaster no1:

Siena and chuky
pls drive your car to allen opebi link, under bridge, ask of gani , gearmaster no1
lets check the GEAR

Mr. Gani 08023245831

Gearmaster, before I decide to drive 7,500-odd miles with a dodgey ZF tranny, I'd be looking for a lot more reassurance you know one end of a tranny from the other, than you've displayed so far. I'm not looking for a 100% remote diagnosis, but some idea what could be wrong. After all, the issues I've described are by no means unique.

I even assisted you by pulling fault codes, as per your request.

So, what's the likely case scenario, and assuming a full refurb, what sort of cost am I looking at? During a routine service of a healthy ZF5HP24A, what exactly do you replace, as preventive measures to outright failure?
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2011
Gearmaster, I'm still waiting for an answer[i].[/i]..
Re: Gear Box Problem by Bobbyendy: 1:48am On Nov 30, 2011
Siena:

Gearmaster, I'm still waiting for an answer[i].[/i]..
pls siena allow gearmaster to rest, as it Ȋ̝̊̅§ crystal clear Ūя̲̅ questions are alliens in his dictionary of comprehension.Nigerian mechanics are killing us day in day out. I got my new 2002 mazda 626 burned to aches last week, my simple offence was that I took ‎​†ђξ car for servicing.
Re: Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 30, 2011
Bobbyendy:

pls siena allow gearmaster to rest, as it Ȋ̝̊̅§ crystal clear Ūя̲̅ questions are alliens in his dictionary of comprehension.Nigerian mechanics are killing us day in day out. I got my new 2002 mazda 626 burned to aches last week, my simple offence was that I took ‎​†ђξ car for servicing.

Bro, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What exactly happened?
Re: Gear Box Problem by nagoya2(m): 1:51pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Siena: My 1996 Hona Accord kinda kicks/jerks when changing gears. When it does this, there's an abrupt rise & drop in the rpm. Also, the 'D' light doesn't come on when the gear is selected. I've had the gear oil changed but it's the same story.
Please what could be responsible for this?
Thank you.
Re: Gear Box Problem by Epzilon: 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
WOW! i thought i knew a lot about cars, until i visited this forum,  cheesy wink cool
hello Siena,
i recently stated experiencing harsh engagement form Park to reverse(P-R) on my 2000 Toyota Camry. this started when the rear engine mount(the one close to the firewall) was replaced(which was bad obviously) .But prior to the replacement the transmission shifted as smooth as silk,
i also noticed  a  burning smell while driving the car after the mount replacement and the upshifts and downshifts are much more noticable than before,
please what must have gone wrong? embarassed embarassed cry cry cry
Re: Gear Box Problem by Epzilon: 2:50pm On Nov 30, 2011
and i forgot to add:
it is a V6 (1MZ-FE) With the A541 Transmission wink
No codes were thrown when the power-train was scanned undecided
Re: Gear Box Problem by bravedude(m): 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2011
Chukky86:

i have problem with babyboy 1999 problem. it keeps jerking at 1, before changing to 2, it idle, before it changes. have been having this issue for the past 4months, have serviced the sensors. still remain the same, is there anything i can do. or do i need to replace the Gear.?

I had the same issue with my 1998 model baby boy while in Nigeria.It's jerks when changing gear.It's just a matter of time it will stop selecting gear,so i will advice you get a new gear box once and for all to save you stress.I am sure this happened as a result of leakage somewhere around the gearbox that you didn't noticed on time until the oil got dried.That was how mind developed ,was traveling with it from Lagos to the east and i didn't notice the leakage.Well i spent close to 100k to get it fixed but i am sure it will be cheaper if fixed in Lagos.I will always discourage any friend of mine from buying a baby boy due to gear box issues and hoping my new FX45 will save me the stress of gear box issues.This is the best advice from experience.Cheers
Re: Gear Box Problem by Bobbyendy: 6:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
Siena:

Bro, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What exactly happened?
had a timing belt problem and my mechanic was out of town so I took ‎​†ђξ car to a nearby mechanic from where I had ‎​†ђξ belt problem. He claimed he was an expert so I got ‎​†ђξ car ‎​†ђξ next day from his workshop and on my way home I heard a blast and thick flames we're coming from ‎​†ђξ engine ‎​†ђξ rest Ȋ̝̊̅§ history as d car got totaly burned
Re: Gear Box Problem by Bobbyendy: 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2011
bravedude:

.I will always discourage any friend of mine from buying a baby boy due to gear box issues and hoping my new FX45 will save me the stress of gear box issues.This is the best advice
pls Ȋ̝̊̅§ it that there are no good baby boy again free from gearbox problem coz I have been hearing several complains enlighten me pls
Re: Gear Box Problem by lerry009ri: 3:44am On Dec 01, 2011
please house, what is the problem of lexus rx 300 2001 model gear box

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? / Toyota Corolla Users Need Know Their Mate / One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.