Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,750 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem (5938 Views)

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / Gear Box Problem / Gear Box Problem? Read My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by means(m): 7:05pm On Apr 06, 2011
Nlanders,

Pls help. I need ur advice. I bought a V6 Passat saloon car about a month ago. Have only driven it within Warri but now am having problems with

the gear selector. It is causing vehicle overheat and m all sorts of problems associated with the automatic gear box. I have consulted a mechanic

who advised that I change both the gear box and the engine to a 4 cylinder engine. Another mechanic advised me to change only the gear box

which cost so so much. I am completely at a cross road because I have enjoyed the car at all.

Any helpful advice will be most welcome pls.
Thanks
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 06, 2011
Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Volkswagen Passat 2,8L V6.

Firstly - is your car AWD? What exactly are the problems you're having with the transmission? When you say overheating, do you mean the coolant temperature gauge goes quite high, and the fluid boils out?

Firstly, that "mechanic" that advised you to convert your car to an I4 engine, with matching transmission should be shot; he shouldn't be allowed near a spanner, never mind a car. What would converting a V6 engine, that runs on Bosch Motronic, to an I4 (God knows what wiring harness and ECU that numpty plans to run it with) achieve?

If the overheating and your tranny issues are related, I would be inclined to think:

1) The torque converter is faulty.
2) The differential is low on oil, causing the crown wheel and pinion to partially seize. This will cause the engine to "labour".
3) The transmission oil cooler is faulty (it's built into the right hand side of the radiator).
4) The stall speed is too high (electrical).

It's also possible you have two separate issues, both transmission and engine. I would advice you get your car scanned, both for engine and transmission fault codes (search for EEL on this board). Don't replace and expensive parts just yet, and please, stay away from "mechanics" that advice you to down grade your car to an I4, it will never be the same otherwise.

Best of luck.
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by means(m): 7:45pm On Apr 06, 2011
Thanks so very much Sienna. the issues u highlighted are also what one of the second mechanic who advised that I change only the gear box also said.
He told me that the major issue is to change the gear box and all other faults will be rectified.

My concern is
1. Wont I experience more problems if I change the gear box
2. Is the gear box available and how can I get it
3. Will another new gear box affect the engine?
Am still worried pls
any help
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by means(m): 7:52pm On Apr 06, 2011
And pls what do u mean by AWD and EEC. In any case my car has some of the problems u took pain to highlight.And I forgot, the ,mechanics also told me that the engine seating keeps get broken because of this same gear box problems. Again, when I put the gear on D,(Drive) the whole vehicle shakes so violently.
Thanks
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
means:

And pls what do u mean by AWD and EEC. In any case my car has some of the problems u took pain to highlight.And I forgot, the ,mechanics also told me that the engine seating keeps get broken because of this same gear box problems. Again, when I put the gear on D,(Drive) the whole vehicle shakes so violently.
Thanks

AWD = Four-Wheel Drive.
EEL = A brilliant guy on here, that carries out OBD scans, and actually knows what the codes mean.

That violent shaking you've described, sounds like the differential locking up, due to low / lack of oil. And yes, the juddering can be violent enough to snap engine / transmission mounts. Bear in mind, your Volkswagen Passat has two separate fluids - ATF for the auto box, and hypoid gear oil for the differential.
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by dollz(f): 9:40pm On Apr 06, 2011
Oga siena I need ur help but pls send ur contact to didiwog@gmail.com
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by sultaan(m): 11:47pm On Apr 06, 2011
lucky guy, not a bad gear box, bad mechanics.
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 07, 2011
dollz:

Oga siena I need your help but pls send your contact to didiwog@gmail.com

Email sent.
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by qreese: 7:49pm On Apr 11, 2011
follow mr and mrs sienna's advice, take ur car for an indepth diagosis of the engine and transmission. Any other development pls mail me at qtechautolabs@gmail.com or call 08080474892. Good luck
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by mutura: 8:06pm On Jul 15, 2011
hello Siena, this is mutura from Nairaland.com
my passat v6 2002
has been having ECU issues
keeps going on LIMP mode
mech has said its wiring fault
can i have any contacts for a mech in lagos where i can have my car checked as from your posts you seem to well versed with the german cars? my email is sweleno@yahoo.com
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by miksonics(m): 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2011
You can have your car scanned for actual problem and result printed out,we scan your car with vcds or VAS5052A original FACTORY SCANNNER which have the advance of flashing and updating your ECU/gearbox TCU and perform factory adaptation.
we fix all your audi/skoda/seat and volkswagen vehicles.

Note:

immediate flashing/updating of ECU/TCU can only be done on car from 98-2008
2009 and above will require us to connect your car to volkswagen server through erwin login

contact

office
Engr Mike

workshop
engr No-water

workshop location

opebi by under the bridge

we fix all gearbox and ecu/engine related problems
we stock factory original CVT gear transmission oil
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by Burch(m): 11:31am On Aug 13, 2011
Hello Siena,

How often do u advice for one to charge auto trans for a 2003 v6 4motion passat. Have been using mine for 18months. When u said ATF for auto trans, were u refering to the ATF found all over nigeria?
Pls mail me ur email, may need some tips from u on how to keep this beauty on the road with less stress.
greatburch@yahoo.com
Re: Passat V6 Auto Gear Box Problem by One4me: 5:51pm On Apr 18, 2016
Why?

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Dream Car? / Anti Pollution Fault On 307 2004 Model HELP!!! / American Spec Vs South African Spec Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.