Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence (5608 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by OAM4J: 9:38pm On Jul 17, 2012
Only eleven per cent of drivers on Lagos roads possessed valid drivers licence last year, according to a 2011 national survey conducted by CLEEN Foundation.

Niger State had the worst record with a lowly three percent while Sokoto, Kogi, and Kebbi had only five percent of their drivers having a valid licence.

The study, which was conducted in the 36 states of Nigeria and Abuja, sampled 11,518 people aged 18 and above.

In Gombe State, 95 per cent of the drivers drove without attending driving school; followed closely by Sokoto with 90 per cent, and Adamawa, Borno, and Kwara with 81 per cent.

37 percent of Lagos drivers plied the roads without attending any driving school.

Data on road accidents showed that Taraba State blazed the trail with 27 percent of the road accidents in 2011; Jigawa followed closely with 25 percent; and Benue and Yobe with 24 percent each.

Only three percent of road accidents in 2011 occurred in Ogun State while Lagos had seven percent.

"If you have a state where there are fewer vehicles on the road spread far in between, the chances of road accidents happening will be minimal," said Innocent Chukwuma, Executive Director of CLEEN Foundation, who coordinated the study.

Mr. Chukwuma noted that Lagos was placed at the bottom rung of road accidents because the study utilized percentage distribution of vehicles.

"If you are counting in terms of solid numbers, Lagos will be higher," said Mr. Chukwuma.

"Another factor you would have to take into account is how Lagos is policed in terms of traffic laws. You have the Road Safety, LASTMA, VIO; whereas in other states, you don't have LASTMA.

"Actually, in Lagos State, LASTMA numbers are higher than the Road Safety, so that may well account for why you have a lower percentage," Mr. Chukwuma said.

The study, which had support from the MacArthur Foundation, ranked Abia as the state with the worst case of robbery incidents.

Following Abia State's 59 percent robbery rate was Bayelsa with 54 percent and Yobe with 34 percent.

The North-East had the highest rate of attempted murder or murder in the country with eight percent while the South-West, with two percent, had the least.

The South-West also had the lowest rate of domestic violence with 13 percent while the South-South had the highest with 33 percent.

The South-South's six per cent rate for kidnapping or attempted kidnapping and six per cent for rape or attempted rape is the highest in the country.

The report also revealed that most rape cases occur at home (43 percent) while work places and schools had the lowest with six percent.

The methodology used in the data collection for the study included the in-home and face to face personal interviews. A stratified multi-stage random selection procedure was also used in order to achieve a national representative sample.

Mr. Chukwuma described government's use of data collated by private agencies as "abysmally poor."

"We are a society that is not driven by reliable data," he said.

"Policies are made and thrashed on the basis of anecdotal evidence, on whims and caprices of those in government, and on the basis of interests of some elements," Mr. Chukwuma added.

http://premiumtimesng.com/metro/6098-Only-one-Lagos-drivers-have-valid-drivers-licence.html
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by crusufixo(m): 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2012
Story !! story !! story !!!!!!!!!. na today. Well on a serious note, its true and quite alarming. If they are to go further with their findings, the danfo drivers ( Public transport drivers) are the villains.Those drivers are so reckless on the roads.Something really serious have to be done about them by making sure that they attend driving schools and getting drivers license. I am not excluding private cars/drivers though, cause some of them are also guilty. but then, hey, this is lagos. Well hoping that fashola would look into that too, besides, the house of assembly recently passed some laws as regards to penalties to be melted down on traffic offenders
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by nanoken: 10:42pm On Jul 17, 2012
is lie
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Nightshift(m): 10:45pm On Jul 17, 2012
Lagos has no driving culture. Most drivers in that city behave as if driving is like being combatant in a civil-war setting.

2 Likes

Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Reference(m): 10:49pm On Jul 17, 2012
Hmm. Food for thought.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2012
#yawns# next post please
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 17, 2012
Okay, but no one ever stopped me to ask for License in Lagos, depends on what you are driving though.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by eghost247(m): 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2012
nanoken: is lie
i assume your joking by saying its a lie?
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2012
Nonsense. These clowns and their watery 'research' provide comic relief.. . .13% here, 5% there, 0.043% over there, all hogwash. It's hilarious how most 'researchers' in Nigeria pluck conjectural 'statistics' and figures off their anus and throw it all over the place - in the [facile] attempt to seem painstaking.

2 Likes

Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by ZUBY77(m): 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
Enugu must be the lowest.everybody there is sane except ....
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Fhemmmy: 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
Even the leaders probably had fake ones . . . if some of them could contest using fake certificate, what is a driver's license . . .

1 Like

Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by trigar12(m): 11:07pm On Jul 17, 2012
THIS ONE NO BE NEWS O. EVEN A BLIND MAN IN NIGERIA HAS DRIVER'S LICENSE. Hahahahahaha
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by tonyx4x44(m): 11:38pm On Jul 17, 2012
Not only in LAGOS, its everywhere
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by zeefa: 12:08am On Jul 18, 2012
Drivers licence is a rubbish in Nigeria . Even the data's on it are sometimes entered wrongly despite given them d right information! My nigeria diver's license almost put me in2 problem in d middleast when they needed to confirm my driving experience. D date of issue on it is the same with the date of birth! Let d FRSC go and learn how to make things work better! Employ good hand n put up good rules of obtaining a drivers licence. I paid thru my nose in oman before I finally got their licence with good knowledge of traffic rules n regulations! Am sure most of those things cnt work in nigeria cos of bad roads. Fedral Govt shld giv us good roads in nigeria. The issue of drivers licence comes after that cos a gud driving skill comes from a good road.. E go beta o
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Jerrygotswagg(m): 12:35am On Jul 18, 2012
i did nt read it shall, but its a lie cos d story is just too lng
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by wowo2: 12:54am On Jul 18, 2012
That one my auntie helped me collect without any verification by anybody counts? lipsrsealed
[size=14pt]N[/size]one in 10... seems more likely, depends on what a valid licence is.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 18, 2012
I thought they said a large percentage of Nigerians live on less than $1 ? Sarcastically,I refuse to believe this research.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Fhemmmy: 1:37am On Jul 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I thought they said a large percentage of Nigerians live on less than $1 ? Sarcastically,I refuse to believe this research.

I used to think such too till i see some of "how people are living in Nigeria" although, the rich are super rich, while the poor are just hanging by the thread.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by serrajay(m): 2:26am On Jul 18, 2012
Danfo drivers license na 50 Naira Rogar.....

1 Like

Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by ebamma(m): 2:42am On Jul 18, 2012
if having a valid drivers license will stop us from having accident,all of us will acquire it.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by yinka2011: 3:11am On Jul 18, 2012
WOW thats an eyeopener.

they need to do something about this.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by ariyebaba(m): 4:11am On Jul 18, 2012
This further translate to - ONE IN TEN LAGOS RESIDENTS HAVE..........................smileysmileysmileycheesycheesycheesywinkwinkwink
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by manosteel(m): 4:24am On Jul 18, 2012
That's a good figure.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by dasparrow: 4:55am On Jul 18, 2012
Interesting....
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by bestofthisyear(m): 5:30am On Jul 18, 2012
My question is what does it really matter? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only difference between a licensed driver and unlicensed driver N6,000 and filling a form? There is no incentive to be licensed. If they get caught N500 and be on your way shikena.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by queensmith: 5:40am On Jul 18, 2012
Seriously, it doesn't even matter. Anybody can get a license and throw himself on the road. Lawd knows the number of prayers and psalms you have to read before getting on a lagos road, with all those molue drivers, driving in lagos should be an olympic sport!
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by waja(m): 6:13am On Jul 18, 2012
ZUBY77: Enugu must be the lowest.everybody there is sane except ....
. Except who?
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by Afam4eva(m): 6:22am On Jul 18, 2012
I got my first driver's licence without knwing how to drive.
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by hardbody: 6:53am On Jul 18, 2012
Several issues have been wrongly enmeshed in this unduly long write up. The truth is in Lagos you do not need a driver's license to drive on the roads.As commented elsewhere in this post, even blind and lame own licenses. Having said that, the FRSC never helped matters. I recall applying for driver's licence and never got one for close to one year. I was required to come every period to revalidate a piece of paper they gave me in lieu of the final licence. Since then, I call in a guy into my office, sign on a piece of paper and give him my passport, 2 days later I get a 'valid'licence. And by the way I hold 8 licenses from 8 different states of the federation. When FRSC catch and sieze one, I whip out another and continue my trip. This country of ours is fokked. By the way driving in Lagos is the most interesting challenge you can ever get, you drive for urslef, the guys in front and behind and besides you. You also drive for their passengers who don't even know nada about driving. If you drive in Lagos, you will drive anywhere else in planet earth
Re: One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence by stEngima: 7:19am On Jul 18, 2012
hardbody: Several issues have been wrongly enmeshed in this unduly long write up. The truth is in Lagos you do not need a driver's license to drive on the roads.As commented elsewhere in this post, even blind and lame own licenses. Having said that, the FRSC never helped matters. I recall applying for driver's licence and never got one for close to one year. I was required to come every period to revalidate a piece of paper they gave me in lieu of the final licence. Since then, I call in a guy into my office, sign on a piece of paper and give him my passport, 2 days later I get a 'valid'licence. And by the way I hold 8 licenses from 8 different states of the federation. When FRSC catch and sieze one, I whip out another and continue my trip. This country of ours is fokked. By the way driving in Lagos is the most interesting challenge you can ever get, you drive for urslef, the guys in front and behind and besides you. You also drive for their passengers who don't even know nada about driving. If you drive in Lagos, you will drive anywhere else in planet earth

@hardbody,
You are right on point. It is the truth, but comically put.
Too many loopholes in the system. Lol @ 8 DLs....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Honda Pilot 2004 Or Volvo Xc90 2006, Which Should I Go For? / The Best Electric Cars On Sale. (PICTURES N SPECS) / Toyota Corolla Users Need Know Their Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.