Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. (3351 Views)

WATCH THIS SPACE (Electrical Showcase & Review) / Construction Of Septic And Sewage Tanks When Building Homes. / Why Do Most Nigerians Abroad Remain Tenants When They Are Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by thirdeye(m): 10:02pm On Sep 23, 2007
Mistakes Nigerians in diaspora make,why you should not do same.

http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcsdiaspora.htm

Summary:
(1) Let Professionals Handle your Project.
(2) Don't Send down all the Money at Once.
(3) Crosscheck and don't allow anybody to bamboozle you into buying.
(4) Find a time may be once in a year to come home.
(5) Your property documents are what you need.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by Seun(m): 4:56am On Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for the tips.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by LondonCool(m): 4:30pm On Sep 24, 2007
@Seun,

Are you a Nigerian in Diaspora ?
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by thirdeye(m): 9:35pm On Sep 24, 2007
Thank you Seun I appreciate your input.

@Londoncool,
Seun is a big man now, may be he is frequenting Home and abroad. grin
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by ajileko: 12:08am On Sep 26, 2007
thirdeye, thanks for the information.
On the same topic, I'm fencing a plot of land that I just acquired in Lagos and received a quotation of about 620,000 thousand Naira. Including
materials and labour including the gate. Now the contractor is saying that there will be additional cost of 35 thousand naira for the weilder and the carpenter for the iron rod and the pillar fence. Can you tell me what is a reasonable cost for the wielder and carpenter on the job site.

Thanks.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by princeonx: 12:29am On Sep 26, 2007
You no negotiate for 620,000 naira to fence a plot na 35,000 naira for welder and carpenter you wan bid on-top! I beg give then money my friend!
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by ajileko: 12:37pm On Sep 26, 2007
Are you saying that this is a goog price just to fence a plot of land? Size 60X120. Here are the break down of materials:
2100 blocks
50 bags of Cement
1 Full lorry of Sand 10 tons)
2 small lorry of gravels
1 tons of 8mm iron rod
etc,
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by LondonCool(m): 2:59pm On Sep 26, 2007
I'm watching this space. I'm fencing my land in Calabar measured at 140 x 120. I have bought 30 bags of cement and 2 small Lorry trips of sand so far.The moulding of blocks is still in progress and will soon enter into the fencing stage.I have not purchased iron rods yet but my expenses so far are around N300,000.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by oluphemmy(m): 3:41pm On Sep 26, 2007
@ajileko
it's either ur contractor is good at bargaining or the welder is considerate
morever where is the location of ur land ?

@all
it is also advisable to use a professional you are well acquainted with,
at least you will have some friends b4 u went to "oke okun"
dont just trust ur investments on a family member like that,

as said come home once in a year or twice to look up things
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by ajileko: 6:06pm On Sep 26, 2007
Londoncool: Since your land is in Calabar, you shouldn't need iron rod for your fence. Mine is in VI area, Okunaja to be precise.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by princeonx: 10:07pm On Sep 26, 2007
ajileko: prices of things including labour differs in every location. I just completed mine (Onitsha) about twice your size some time around the middle of this month and it cost almost 100,000 naira less than the 620 they quoted you! The one in my village cost about 450,000 to complete! same size too! All I was saying in my last mail is that 35K for welder and capenter is not too much! Even if its 35k each! in V/I come-on!
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by thirdeye(m): 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2007
LondonCool:

I'm watching this space. I'm fencing my land in Calabar measured at 140 x 120. I have bought 30 bags of cement and 2 small Lorry trips of sand so far.The moulding of blocks is still in progress and will soon enter into the fencing stage.I have not purchased iron rods yet but my expenses so far are around N300,000.

Your land is big and so it may cost more.
Converting 140 ft x 120ft to metres--- 140/3.3= 42m and 120/3.3=36m
Assuming the plot is a perfect rectangle  42x2=84m +
                                                                  36x2=72m.
                                                     Total=156m
Taken each block lenght as 0.45m, Divide156/0.45=346 numbers of block to go round a coach/layer of your entire site.
If your blocks is to be laid for 10 coaches to make your fence, then you need
346x10=3460 blocks add 10% wastages, 3460+346=3806 blocks.

Now considering each block to be let say #115/block depending either 6" or 9" as the case may be
Multiply 115 x 3806=#437,690.
     Find out how many blocks and type they are laying with each bag it depends, your area's average probably could be as high as 70 blocks. So for your 30 bags of cement , 30 x 70=2100 blocks.
     Honestly, you are still going to spend more but you are doing well.

@all,
For those of you that can't face the fact that carpenters can collect as much or simply put welder haters! sorry,
read my piece:
http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcsartesans.htm

Some us
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by ThePrince2: 1:43am On Oct 03, 2007
Another tip; worth considering is as follows:

Buy a Digital Camera and give it to a member of the Family or a Friend to take photos of the development either weekly or monthly and have these images e-mailed over to enable to track the development.
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by earthrealm(m): 7:11am On May 06, 2010
wow.good info here
Re: Lessons For Nigerians In Diaspora, When Building Your House Back Home. by LondonCool(m): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Bumped

(1) (Reply)

For Rent. Trans Amadi Gardens Estate Peter Odili Road. Portharcourt / 6 Units 2B/2T Flats For Rent In Ikorodu - Pix / Automate Your Gate And Garage With Centurion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.