Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,181 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria (4880 Views)

Proof For Nigerians That General Buhari Truly Means To End Corruption In Nigeria / How Can We End Corruption In Nigeria: From Top To Bottom, Or Bottom To Top? / Ribadu: Protests A Divine Deal To End Corruption. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 2:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
Nigeria's biggest problem is Corruption. Even other major challenges in this nation revolves round it. I believe that if we successfully clam down on corruption, over 70% of our problems will be solved.

Also most corruption issues in Nigeria is financial. Its always about money.

My Proposal
In order to set Nigeria free from the evil grip of corruption, I hereby propose that all financial crimes in Nigeria, should be based on the following:

AMOUNT
- N100,000 = 1yr jail term
- From 50yrs jail term should come with hard labour (but most be fully severed).
- Amount of money valued from a 100yrs and above, the jail term should attract capital punishment (death).
- If the money is returned in full, the culprit should serve one-third the term.
- If the recovered loot is anything less than the amount but more than half, half a jail term will apply.
- If any money is recovered at all, then two-third the jail term based on the first 3 proposals above.
- Aiding, abating and conspiring, should get half of whatever the main culprit got.

DAMAGE
Extra punishment should be given based on the number of people disenfranchised (deprived of benefits) due to that financial crime.
- 5 to 100 extra 6 months.
- In hundreds 1 year additional jail term.
- Extra 1year for every one thousand, not more than 10,000 people deprived.
- If 10,000 to 100,000 people where deprived of benefits, then add 10years.
- In millions not more than 10million, extra 20years to the jail term in AMOUNT above.
- If up to 50million Nigerians where deprived of benefits because someone stole money, then capital punishment.
- Also if the person did return part of the loot (in AMOUNT) and as well apologize (in DAMAGE category), half of his DAMAGE jail term will be reduced.
- If found to have threatened or attacked those affected during the trial, 50% of the DAMAGE jail term should be added to the actual DAMAGE term.

MOTIVATION
This is Nigeria where some will try to out-smart the system, so the circumstances or situation surrounding the financial crime should also matter. (This is for the culprit to support his case or for the prosecutors to squeeze the punishment).
- If the culprit intentionally committed the crime, the exact jail term should be awarded in full.
- If one was persuaded, forced or threatened to commit it, the one that did the forcing should bear the full punished and if the culprit benefited and did not report in full, should get half.
- If the culprit, was forced but later reported in full, should be allowed to walk free.
- If the culprit is threaten to do more, one-third of whatever he got should be added.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2011
@Everyone:
Do review this petition and tell us what you think of it. Does it stand a chance? What do agree or disagree with? What should be added or deleted from it?

Lets have you say on this proposals
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Phate07(m): 7:36pm On Nov 25, 2011
Join Naija Activists on Facebook. http://www./9jactivists/

Lets make a change!
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:39pm On Nov 25, 2011
I think we already have laws that sufficiently address the punishments necessary for crimes of corruption. The problem, if I am not mistaken, has always been with the enforcement and implementation of those laws.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by ShangoThor(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I think we already have laws that sufficiently address the punishments necessary for crimes of corruption. The problem, if I am not mistaken, has always been with the enforcement and implementation of those laws.

Precisely, it's the system of ACCOUNTABILITY that is the issue and furthermore this is a bi-product of the Malfunctioning State. If we can fix the State we will be able to fix the problem. However, we will never be able to fix the the Malfunctioning State because since it's inception and the formation of the Polity by way of amalgamation, religious and regional considerations have trumped the 'common good'.

Corrupt individual actors have been able to exploit this scenario.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Iolo(m): 9:53am On Nov 26, 2011
@OP,

I like it. I think what we need in Nigeria are a set of huge what-to and how-to manuals to immune the Judiciary off corruption.

Did mister A steal 1billion naira? If proven yes, then how many years does that attract in the manual. This way a culprit can't bribe a judge to send him to prison for 6 months or pay a fine after stealing billions of Naira.

Don't know much about the penal codes but I don't think such crime for punishment details are this precise. And precision is just what we need to fight corruption.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Koolking(m): 11:41am On Nov 26, 2011
community service should also be added as a punishment after jail term has been served (for public office holders). if a convicted public officer holder is made to wash public toilets or clean gutters or sweep streets for a period of 1yr, i think this will serve a big deterrent to others. It is the most debacle and embarrassing debasing and demotion ever self-inflicted. Their pictures snapped by the public while they are working will sure pull the largest comments on facebook.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Koolking(m): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2011
Iolo:

@OP,

I like it. I think what we need in Nigeria are a set of huge[b] what-to and how-to manuals[/b] to immune the Judiciary off corruption.

Did mister A steal 1billion naira? If proven yes, then how many years does that attract in the manual. This way a culprit can't bribe a judge to send him to prison for 6 months or pay a fine after stealing billions of Naira.

Don't know much about the penal codes but I don't think such crime for punishment details are this precise. And precision is just what we need to fight corruption.

no option for plea bargain since all and sundry is aware of the punishment for such crime. but the problem is nigerians leaders have retarded ways of misinterpreting laws to suit their actions.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by kunlekunle: 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2011
u are like three wolves and two sheep voting for who is for dinner
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Horus(m): 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I think we already have laws that sufficiently address the punishments necessary for crimes of corruption. The problem, if I am not mistaken, has always been with the enforcement and  of those laws.

jail term is a joke and will not stop corruption. A solution for the enforcement and implementation of those laws can be the creation of a "Death Squad" to "punish" the criminal looters of public funds. Even if it is an illegal death squad, we don't care, but there will be no more looters alive in Nigeria. The death squad will exterminate all political looters.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 2:05pm On Nov 26, 2011
Iolo:

@OP,

I like it. I think what we need in Nigeria are a set of huge what-to and how-to manuals to immune the Judiciary off corruption.

@Iolo:
That will equal a death penalty. Its more than 100yrs jail term under AMOUNT. If he have accomplice, they too will get their fair share.

We need brute force against corruption. Such effort must be universal in Nigeria. Not dealing with your enemies, finding a soft landing for colleagues and intervening your brothers and friends.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 2:08pm On Nov 26, 2011
Corruption in Nigeria is:
- Hampering development
- Keeping the poor in the dust and uplifting the rich
- Draining our national resource
- Setting us many years backward and more.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by ng4am(f): 2:25pm On Nov 26, 2011
Is just for anybody occupying any govt position should swear by amadioha. If u loot u die simple.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by AfroBlue(m): 3:10pm On Nov 26, 2011
Just read a good essay on what may be the root of the problem.

IMO the present global central banking model breeds corruption.

Money, Money Everywhere,

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/money-money-everywhere-/103576/

" Today, only one out of five Nigerian adults has a bank account. Only 15 per cent of women have bank accounts. The North-west and North-east zones are the least banked, and not surprisingly the poorest in the country. Nearly 70 per cent of currency in circulation is outside the banking system. Banks lend more to the government than the small, medium and large business that truly create jobs. Nigeria is an intensely cash-upfront economy, with virtually no loans available to buy homes, cars and other durables."
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Nov 26, 2011
^^^ One of the saddest excuse for a response I have ever read.

So according to you, the same banking system majority of the world has had in place for near centuries(only now enhanced in most places with electronic systems)is to be blamed for corruption? WOW!!!
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 5:25pm On Nov 26, 2011
Kobo, me self I don nearly faint too.

If only our leaders will be contended with moderate and use the wealth of this nation to solve our challenges, Nigeria should be among the finest in the world.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by AfroBlue(m): 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ One of the saddest excuse for a response I have ever read.

So according to you, the same banking system majority of the world has had in place for near centuries(only now enhanced in most places with electronic systems)is to be blamed for corruption? WOW!!!

Have you been paying attention to the total meltdown of Central Banking nations that produce fiat money out of thin air? Because nations have electronic systems doesn't mean that they are on firm financial footing. Those countries gained their past wealth by looting the resources of other lands throughout the world.

Iceland just got rid of their Rothschild central banking system and their country is becoming economically  healthy as we type. Many Latin American countries have retired the debt systems and they also are enjoying magnificent harvest/s, with Brazil being the role model template.

Just look at the examples of Greece, Italy, and those to follow and common logic will tell you that the old system needs a new paradigm going forward. Bonds and debt are not the answer unless you want to continue being an economic slave to an powerful criminal banking power headquartered in the City of London.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2011
I support the idea of fighting corruption with resolution, but we should be careful not to create new problems in the process.  Unreasonably harsh laws only make criminals more desperate; makes them willing to kill or do anything to escape punishment. The least corrupt countries in the world have laws that are fair, reasonable, and not excessive, but they enforce those laws consistently at all levels. Most countries with harsh laws are very corrupt (China, Saudi Arabia).
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by BootyOnMe: 7:27pm On Nov 26, 2011
You can't end corruption in any part of the world. . . .not to mention Nigeria!
You can only curb corruption.
Start by setting 'realistic' goals! kiss
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:44pm On Nov 26, 2011
Corruption started a long time ago,, it cant be removed, only managed
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by xterra2(m): 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2011
I kinda like it OP
but the issue is it wont get implemented sadly cry
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by anonimi: 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2011
let's ask ourselves why was there less corruption in colonial times up to the first coup in 1966 that was aimed at the "10 percenters"- those who took 10% on government contracts, deals etc?
Further, let's ask why there is more corruption in autocratic and pseudo-democratic societies in eastern Europe than democratic and open societies in western Europe and America?
One of the reasons is the reduced difference between the minimum and the highest wage earners unlike in Nigeria where minimum wage is 18,000 while legisLOOTERS earn 12m monthly for doing almost nothing. Remember that everyone has the same basic needs- shelter, food and clothing.
Moreover, reduced ethnicity and crying persecution of my kinsman when a person is being charged for corruption- saying what of the other thieves!
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by egift(m): 9:23pm On Nov 26, 2011
Seun:

I support the idea of fighting corruption with resolution, but we should be careful not to create new problems in the process.  Unreasonably harsh laws only make criminals more desperate; makes them willing to kill or do anything to escape punishment. The least corrupt countries in the world have laws that are fair, reasonable, and not excessive, but they enforce those laws consistently at all levels. Most countries with harsh laws are very corrupt (China, Saudi Arabia).

I do concur to your post. But since in the case of Nigeria, Corruption is already a Monster - I recommend we implement a process able to challenge the Monster and also serve as a deterrent.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by DAVE5(m): 12:05am On Nov 27, 2011
@ op:if only wishes were horses,then ur proposal would hav bin put into action;nice one though,lets jst kip hopin n prayin tinz get bera
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by kooto(m): 9:42am On Nov 27, 2011
i agree there are enough laws to tackle corruption, implementation becomes difficult because in this country we celebrate wealth(no matter how it came),once this continues we can't stop it. i once work with a fabrication company(oil&gas) that has a phillipino as one of it's expatriate, he had problems with his government on how he got that kind of money to build his mansion & bank account, it was our company that gave proof of legitimate resources, before he was left alone his been here in nigeria as expatriate since middle 1980's & still here now.here it's different. e.g one time military gov of Lagos during his tenor all he did was to close markets,Lagosians where shouting, he was removed with promotion to brigadier general i think he is now a former gov in the south west, who will impliment it when they see the leaders promoting it?
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by larryshow4(m): 11:06am On Nov 27, 2011
Smiling, grin Are you sure those in the house will pass that into LAW, when that is what they have in mind lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by jimctu: 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2011
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by oohunt: 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2011
All these are long story. The best punishment is death. Then you will see Nigeria sit up for real.
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by jerryben12: 10:23pm On Nov 27, 2011
No matter how small it is, corruption =death
Re: Proposal To End Corruption In Nigeria by muyoto: 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2011
The question i have is, what about the laws or checks that are supposed to guard aginst corruption from taking place in the first place?

Why is it that such checks seem to be cirumvented with apprarent ease?

How on earth can one one individual steal more than a billion naira and nobody can be brought to book? angryangry

(1) (Reply)

See Epic Response To Ochereome Nnanna For Insulting The Yoruba People / Which Of This "Ebin Pa Wa" Pictures Should We Give Food / Edo 2012: Why The Rice Man Political Strategy Is Sarcastic And Headed For Doom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.