Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,699 members, 7,816,857 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. (1159 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Nigeria Is Blessed With Culture.. Some Beautiful Traditional Marriage Pictures / Why Is It Called Mother Tongue Instead Of Father Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by CHIMCO(m): 4:05am On Nov 26, 2011
Is there any circumstance that Can exclude a father in a traditional marriage of her daughter when he is alive? A relation of mine wants to conduct traditional marriage of their daughter without the father's consent b/c the father insisted that her daughter wil NEVER marry a Catholic. Can the mother go ahead with the trad marriage with the girl's uncle?
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:32am On Nov 26, 2011
Not while he's still alive. I'm sure if she really intended to, she would go ahead and do it, but that kind of thing doesn't happen while the father is still alive.
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by AndreUweh(m): 10:49am On Nov 26, 2011
Let's hope it is not in Igbo trad marriage.
In Igbo trad marriage, marriage is about the father and household as well as Umunna. Without the father, Umunnna will not be involved and without Umunna, no marriage.
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by ifyalways(f): 5:34pm On Nov 26, 2011
I hate religious fanatics.

@OP,If the bride is an Igbo babe,I don't its possible.No uncle(brother of the dad),no matter how sympathetic and understanding he is would chair or attend likewise the umunna's.

Way to go?Buy time and hope dad comes around.
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by CHIMCO(m): 6:50pm On Nov 26, 2011
The bride is an igbo girl. The mother wants to use her uncle to hand her over as her father.
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by AndreUweh(m): 12:00am On Nov 27, 2011
CHIMCO:

The bride is an igbo girl. The mother wants to use her uncle to hand her over as her father.
It is only possible in a non Igbo trad wedding. The uncle will be mischievous to take the father's position when the father is not dead, not mentality incapacitated, not in exile and not in a very distant place.
The uncle should desist from turning tradition upside down.
Re: Exclusion Of Father In Her Daughter Traditional Marriage. by Obiagu1(m): 12:39am On Nov 27, 2011
CHIMCO:

The bride is an igbo girl. The mother wants to useĀ  her uncle to hand her over as her father.

It seems difficult if you ask me.
I know a girl that grew up without talking with her dad for years because of nasty divorce with her mother, but when she wanted to get married, her mother and her humbled themselves and went and asked her dad to be present and he did attend her traditional wedding.

As far as I know, they can't do it without their dad when he's alive but the man has to be reasonable. I don't know why he should be so mean to prevent her daughter from getting married.

I think their Umunna should sanction him.

(1) (Reply)

When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? / Council Of Baale In Ilorin Will Meet In Afonja Ilorin To Discuss Security / Photos : OPC Leader, Gani Adams Visits Alaafin Of Oyo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.