Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,310 members, 7,954,246 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:17 PM

Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo (20982 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / Dogara’s Emergence As Speaker And The ‘coup’ Against PDP- Daily Trust / My Life With Ojukwu - Njideka Odumegwu-ojukwu (Ojukwu's First Wife) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by BlackRevo: 2:00pm On Nov 27, 2011
^^

True words
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 2:25pm On Nov 27, 2011
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by whassup: 2:35pm On Nov 27, 2011
very very funny,but this is real someone fought to divide Nigeria while he was alive and even in his death his motive is still being achieved, igbos attacking yorubas i cant laugh.well lets just say boko haram is right too if ojukwu was right,
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by pazienza(m): 3:12pm On Nov 27, 2011
Gowon gave Ojukwu command to release awo,na wa o! How can that happen when Ojukwu didn't recognize Gowon's powers.Some people r just dumb,the logical scenario is that Ojukwu released him,when he got to yorubaland he was summoned by gowon and was subsequently made to understand that it's either  he supports Nigeria or he would be put back to prison,we all know the path he chose and where it led him.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by chino11(m): 3:55pm On Nov 27, 2011
Yarobas are really really dumbs
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2011
yes. i does not know book

why did ojuiku committed suicide.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2011
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2011
9ja voice:

reading ojukwu's points here: he said

"Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awo. We young men respected him a great deal. He was a hero. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also. I don’t know what anybody makes of that statement but it is simple. Whether he did or didn’t, it is too late".

ojukwu himself respect awo so much,but its all too late both awo and red scorpion regrets why they assists nigeria at that time. i blv its all behind us now.
may Pa ojukwu's soul rest in peace amen.

History should not be twisted to make a villain look like a hero.If the whole ifeajuna coup was all about making Awo the president,why did such plan failed ? Was the counter-coup that produced another iboman as the president an hidden agenda ?

1 Like

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2011
dat one na tori of kunkuru and yemenibo
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by JamesDoe: 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2011
If you accept that Ojukwu did not obey Gowon's orders then Ojukwu kept Awo in prison for what reason?

So you want to wage a war in which you need the West but are holding a Western Leader in your prison. You then "release" him when you think you've built up your army and then what? Release him so he can do what?

Ojukwu just wanted to replace Gowon.

The Jan 1966 coup was a raw attempt to grab power, it failed and unfortunately 3 million people died after an evil sequence of events.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 27, 2011
JamesDoe:

If you accept that Ojukwu did not obey Gowon's orders then Ojukwu kept Awo in prison for what reason?

So you want to wage a war in which you need the West but are holding a Western Leader in your prison. You then "release" him when you think you've built up your army and then what? Release him so he can do what?

Ojukwu just wanted to replace Gowon.

The Jan 1966 coup was a raw attempt to grab power, it failed and unfortunately 3 million people died after an evil sequence of events.
The whole Awo part being planned to become the president was a facade just give some sort of southern stamp to the coup.The coup was an ibo agenda planned by oju-iku and ironsi,nzeogu and co were just the executioner.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by 9jaIhail(m): 5:27pm On Nov 27, 2011
HONESTLY IT'S A HIGH TIME IGBOS NEED TO LEAVE THIS SO CALL YERUBA PEOPLE ALONE,YERUBAS LACK THE ABILITY TO SEE BEYOND TODAY, I AM SORRY FOR MY FELLOW YERUBAS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TURN THEIR SELF TO BE FELLOW FELLOW TO THE NORTHERNERS.IGBOS PLZ IGNORE THEM.

THANKS

1 Like

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by ak47mann(m): 5:36pm On Nov 27, 2011
Even got it on Facebook how he committed suicide go there and argue with them Facebook is far bigger than NL cool
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by lagcity(m): 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2011
Gowon didn't have any power over the East. So the "Altruist" Ojukwu could have released Awo long before the time he did. If that happened, Yoruba people would have been very grateful to Ojukwu. BUT, and this is a very [size=14pt]BIG BUT[/size], Ojukwu only released Awo after Gowon said so. That defeats the whole purpose. That is just not good enough.   

The most important thing I took away from this interview is that Ojukwu never blamed Awo because Ojukwu himself understood Awo was trying to do his best for Yoruba just as Ojukwu was trying to do his best for Igbo. But Igbo people think they know more than Ojukwu and they start blaming Awo.

Having said that, I totally understand why Igbos hate Awo and Yoruba. Without Awo and Yoruba, Biafra would have chewed and spit out the Northerners. Biafra would have won that war.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by aljharem3: 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2011
lagcity:

Gowon didn't have any power over the East. So the "Altruist" Ojukwu could have released Awo long before the time he did. If that happened, Yoruba people would have been very grateful to Ojukwu. BUT, and this is a very [size=14pt]BIG BUT[/size], Ojukwu only released Awo after Gowon said so. That is just not good enough.   

The most important thing I took away from this interview is that [b]Ojukwu never blamed Awo because Ojukwu himself understood Awo was trying to do his best for Yoruba just as Ojukwu was trying to do his best for Igbo. But Igbo people think they know more than Ojukwu and they start blaming Awo.[/b]

GBAMM !!!!!

one thing is that they think they are clever and they think they were there when ojukwu and awolowo were talking

ak47mann:

Even got it on Facebook how he committed suicide go there and argue with them Facebook is far bigger than NL cool

keep gloating over the dead, ideeiot. Later you would call the yoruba tribalistic.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Katsumoto: 8:05pm On Nov 27, 2011
I think it is time to put facts into perspective and lay this matter to rest.

Awo was charged with Treasonable felony in November 1962 and sentenced in September 1963

In March 1966, Awo wrote to Ironsi from prison asking to be released but was ignored by Ironsi. Between January 1966 and July 1966, Ironsi was Head of State and Ojukwu was Governor of the Eastern region.

Gowon was sworn-in in the evening of July 30 1966 but made his announcement of August 1st.

Obafemi Awolowo was released from prison on the 8th of August 1966; exactly 1 week after Gowon's ascension. Awo was driven to Ikenne in Murtala Mohamed's car ( I read this either from Awo's book or Olutoye's book; I am not too sure but I will try to check and report back).

On the 8th of August 1966, who was paying the wages of the Warden at the Federal Prison in Calabar? Was it not Gowon?

Ojukwu wants us to believe that while he was in power with another Igbo as Head of State for 6 months, he could not release Awo from prison but could release Awo from prison exactly one week after a new government, one which he did not recognise, headed by Gowon was formed.

I smell opportunism here on Ojukwu's part. It is clear that Awo was released by Gowon.

EDIT

2 Likes

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 8:08pm On Nov 27, 2011
u see the problem with dis people be say dem tink say na only dem get brain
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 27, 2011
For those calling for national monument in respect of the great Igbo Hero, please think twice. It is like telling Museveni of Uganda to name an international airport or any stadium after Idi Amin. Just my thoughts nt imposed on you please
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2011
For those calling for national monument in respect of the great Igbo Hero, please think twice. It is like telling Museveni of Uganda to name an international airport or any stadium after Idi Amin. Just my thoughts nt imposed on you please
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Limaoscar: 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2011
Away from Ojukwu this, Awo that, WHERE WAS ZIK OF AFRICA in all of this?
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by omonnakoda: 9:17pm On Nov 27, 2011
did he really kill hissef
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2011
Ironsi, Ojukwu could have released Awolowo for 6months but didn't undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Yet they wanted to make him president?

You tribal warriors are nutjobs!!

3 Likes

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by pazienza(m): 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

I think it is time to put facts into perspective and lay this matter to rest.

Awo was charged with Treasonable felony in November 1962 and sentenced in September 1963

In March 1966, Awo wrote to Ironsi from prison asking to be released but was ignored by Ironsi. Between January 1966 and July 1966, Ironsi was Head of State and Ojukwu was Governor of the Eastern region.

Gowon was sworn-in in the evening of July 30 1966 but made his announcement of August 1st.

Obafemi Awolowo was released from prison on the 8th of August 1966; exactly 1 week after Gowon's ascension. Awo was driven to Ikenne in Murtala Mohamed's car ( I read this either from Awo's book or Olutoye's book; I am not too sure but I will try to check and report back).

On the 8th of August 1966, who was paying the wages of the Warden at the Federal Prison in Calabar? Was it not Gowon?

Ojukwu wants us to believe that while he was in power with another Igbo as Head of State for 6 months, he could not release Awo from prison but could release Awo from prison exactly one week after a new government, one which he did not recognise, headed by Gowon was formed.

I smell opportunism here on Ojukwu's part. It is clear that Awo was released by Gowon.

EDIT

Wow! U guys are really funny,your post is really funny,you are saying that awo was released after one week of Gowon's ascension because Gowon gave Ojukwu orders to release him,that would have made sense if Ojukwu ever acknowledged Gowon's powers,but he didn't,not even for a second,so the question is,how do you give orders to a person who doesn't recognize your authority? If you provide the answer to that question,then i might agree that awo was released by Gowon.

lagcity:

Gowon didn't have any power over the East. So the "Altruist" Ojukwu could have released Awo long before the time he did. If that happened, Yoruba people would have been very grateful to Ojukwu. BUT, and this is a very [size=14pt]BIG BUT[/size], Ojukwu only released Awo after Gowon said so. That defeats the whole purpose. That is just not good enough.   

The most important thing I took away from this interview is that Ojukwu never blamed Awo because Ojukwu himself understood Awo was trying to do his best for Yoruba just as Ojukwu was trying to do his best for Igbo. But Igbo people think they know more than Ojukwu and they start blaming Awo.

Having said that, I totally understand why Igbos hate Awo and Yoruba. Without Awo and Yoruba, Biafra would have chewed and spit out the Northerners. Biafra would have won that war.

I think you are mixing things up,why Ojukwu released awo when he did can only be answered by ojukwu,but the question here is not why he released him when he did but if he released him.
Gowon could have never released awo,because Ojukwu didn't for a second recognize his powers,and until the defeat of biafra,Gowon NEVER had control over the eastern region.One would have thought that this would be easy to understan.Infact i can now see why Ojukwu thought that awo was funny.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by basadenet: 10:35pm On Nov 27, 2011
This is nothing but a ruse and distorted facts. The highest blasphemy of dis century.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Katsumoto: 10:37pm On Nov 27, 2011
pazienza:

Wow! U guys are really funny,your post is really funny,you are saying that awo was released after one week of Gowon's ascension because Gowon gave Ojukwu orders to release him,that would have made sense if Ojukwu ever acknowledged Gowon's powers,but he didn't,not even for a second,so the question is,how do you give orders to a person who doesn't recognize your authority? If you provide the answer to that question,then i might agree that awo was released by Gowon.

I thought Ojukwu was the Governor of the Eastern Region; I didn't realise that he was the warden at Calabar Prison.

Does Gowon need to request or order Ojukwu to release Awolowo from a FEDERAL Prison? Until the declaration of Biafra in May 1967, all federal civil servants in the East still reported to the Government in Lagos.

You present facts and some resort to using emotions to debate publicly.

Fact 1: Awolowo was released one week after Gowon became Head of State
Fact 2: It was Murtala Mohammed's car that drove Awo to Ikenne
Fact 3: The prison in Calabar was under the control of the federal government and not the Eastern regional government.
Fact 4: When the Northern coup was being executed on the 29th and 30th of July 1966 (just 2 weeks before Awo was released), Ojukwu ran from Enugu to Onitsha to seek cover.

If the governor of the Eastern Region ran from his office even though he was not under attack, how was he going to stand in the way of an order given by the new Government in Lagos? By running from Enugu to Onitsha, Ojukwu believed that Murtala could have marched to Enugu to arrest/kill him.

4 Likes

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by oldtime(m): 11:17pm On Nov 27, 2011
Just reading through all the remarks , claims and disclaim on this thread, I see another possible secession because somehow the Ibo’s or Igbo’s which ever you loved to be called want so much to rule Nigeria
A desire that an Ojukwu nursed till grave
Learn from the political sensibilities of the Yorubas
Don’t be too arrogant, don’t assume knowledge while displaying stupidity
Nigerian have not yet entrusted governance in your hands and the nation owes you no apology
Because of the fraud endemic in your nature

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by ak47mann(m): 11:23pm On Nov 27, 2011
oldtime:

Just reading through all the remarks , claims and disclaim on this thread, I see another possible secession because somehow the Ibo’s or Igbo’s which ever you loved to be called want so much to rule Nigeria
A desire that an Ojukwu nursed till grave
Learn from the political sensibilities of the Yorubas
Don’t be too arrogant, don’t assume knowledge while displaying stupidity
Nigerian have not yet entrusted governance in your hands and the nation owes you no apology
Because of the fraud endemic in your nature

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
what is this baboon talking about, you make sense at all,or just want to comment and make urself sound important i see cool cool
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

I thought Ojukwu was the Governor of the Eastern Region; I didn't realise that he was the warden at Calabar Prison.

Does Gowon need to request or order Ojukwu to release Awolowo from a FEDERAL Prison? Until the declaration of Biafra in May 1967, all federal civil servants in the East still reported to the Government in Lagos.

You present facts and some resort to using emotions to debate publicly.

Fact 1: Awolowo was released one week after Gowon became Head of State
Fact 2: It was Murtala Mohammed's car that drove Awo to Ikenne
Fact 3: The prison in Calabar was under the control of the federal government and not the Eastern regional government.
Fact 4: When the Northern coup was being executed on the 29th and 30th of July 1966 (just 2 weeks before Awo was released), Ojukwu ran from Enugu to Onitsha to seek cover.

If the governor of the Eastern Region ran from his office even though he was not under attack, how was he going to stand in the way of an order given by the new Government in Lagos? By running from Enugu to Onitsha, Ojukwu believed that Murtala could have marched to Enugu to arrest/kill him.

I have said this before, Ojukwu did not have the power to unilaterally release Awo from prison. I'm not sure if Ojukwu himself made that claim, but whoever is making it doesn't know what he is talking about.

1 Like

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by remarkD(m): 2:05am On Nov 28, 2011
Hmm reading through the 3 pages so far, i've moved from believing Awolowo was released by Ojukwu, then Gowon, back to Ojukwu, and with Katsimoto's recent "perspective facts", back again to Gowon.

But the bone of contention which should settle it is knowing whom had control of the prisons in Calabar. Ojukwu said in the interview that Calabar took orders from him, and the Gowon proponents say it was under Gowon's command. Logically, given the state of things at the time, both scenarios are possible because (not to repeat the facts again) (since Calabar was in Eastern Nnigeria which Ojukwu commanded) Ojukwu did not recognize Gowon's authority; and Gowon was head of state too.

@Katsimoto, found that source indicating Murtala Mohammed's car drove Awolow back?

@Oldtime, Ojukwu called Awolowo "funny", from that post of yours, i'll apply that term to you as well. Are you a descendant of Awolowo?

@k d l u r, couldn't have said it any better myself. We're all in Nigeria which needs serious transformation, and all we do is bitch-in.g each other. Like Stevie Wonder sings, heaven help us all.

Peace out.
Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by Katsumoto: 3:51am On Nov 28, 2011
remark D:

Hmm reading through the 3 pages so far, i've moved from believing Awolowo was released by Ojukwu, then Gowon, back to Ojukwu, and with Katsimoto's recent "perspective facts", back again to Gowon.

But the bone of contention which should settle it is knowing whom had control of the prisons in Calabar. Ojukwu said in the interview that Calabar took orders from him, and the Gowon proponents say it was under Gowon's command. Logically, given the state of things at the time, both scenarios are possible because (not to repeat the facts again) (since Calabar was in Eastern Nnigeria which Ojukwu commanded) Ojukwu did not recognize Gowon's authority; and Gowon was head of state too.

@Katsimoto, found that source indicating Murtala Mohammed's car drove Awolow back?

@Oldtime, Ojukwu called Awolowo "funny", from that post of yours, i'll apply that term to you as well. Are you a descendant of Awolowo?

@k d l u r, couldn't have said it any better myself. We're all in Nigeria which needs serious transformation, and all we do is NaughtyWoman-in.g each other. Like Stevie Wonder sings, heaven help us all.

Peace out.

How could Calabar have taken orders from Ojukwu when Decree 34, promulgated by Ironsi in just January 1966 made all civil servants report to Lagos. In a twist of wicked irony, the day after Ironsi signed decree 34, Ojukwu would declare publicly that the Igbo would export Igbo civil servants to other parts of the country even though their intended destination was the North because Ironsi had also banned compulsory Hausa tests for workers in the Northern region. How then can Ojukwu claim a few months later that the Warden at Calabar reported to him? Was Ojukwu paying the wages of federal workers?

I will get back once I check the books. I am away from home and I can't check those books online.

1 Like

Re: Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo by bashr8: 4:18am On Nov 28, 2011
Katsumoto:

[s]How could Calabar have taken orders from Ojukwu when Decree 34, promulgated by Ironsi in just January 1966 made all civil servants report to Lagos. In a twist of wicked irony, the day after Ironsi signed decree 34, Ojukwu would declare publicly that the Igbo would export Igbo civil servants to other parts of the country even though their intended destination was the North because Ironsi had also banned compulsory Hausa tests for workers in the Northern region. How then can Ojukwu claim a few months later that the Warden at Calabar reported to him? Was Ojukwu paying the wages of federal workers?

I will get back once I check the books. I am away from home and I can't check those books online. [/s]

crap, so gowon was calling the shots in the east thats what your trying to tell us ? gowon released awolowo then brought him to ojukwu for meeting before taking him to the south west?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Grant Amnesty To Bandits — Sheik Gumi Tells FG (Video) / Zulum Gives 81 Flats, 79 Million Naira To Medical Doctors In Borno / Ohakim And Okorocha At Iwuanyanwu's Child Dedication (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.