Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:11 PM

I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon (12524 Views)

Abubakar Audu: I’m Happy The Monster Died – Sugabelly Narrates ‘torment’ With Fa / I’m Happy To See Displaced Nigerians Return Home –jonathan / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Relax101(m): 9:06pm On Nov 27, 2011
Gen Yakubu Gowonthisdaylive.com

Former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon has described late Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu as a great Nigerian who believed so much in the unity of the country.

Gowon said he was happy Ojukwu died as a Nigerian and not as a Biafran.

Gowon who spoke to our correspondent on Saturday said although he and Ojukwu had divergent views during those critical moments in Nigeria’s history, events later proved that Ojukwu had an undying love for Nigeria to the extent that he aspired on more than one occasion to be President of Nigeria.

Speaking philosophically, Gowon said it was appointed unto man that one day, he must leave mother earth; and since it was Ojukwu’s time, no one could question destiny.

He said when Ojukwu was recuperating in a London hospital, he called his daughter to wish him well and to tell him to come back so that they could continue the struggle to keep Nigeria as one indivisible entity.

Gowon said even though he and Ojukwu had divergent interest that led to the civil war, his greatest happiness was that Ojukwu died with the belief in the unity of Nigeria.

The former head of state added, “My greatest happiness is that he went away a happy Nigerian; he even tried the presidency once or twice and for that I admired his courage.”

Gowon said even though some people did not want him to reconcile with Ojukwu, he felt so good when he shook hands with him as a friend and comrade.

He said one of the greatest lessons Nigerians had learnt from the unfortunate events of the Nigerian civil war was that never again would Nigerians pick up arms against one another.

On his assessment of Ojukwu as a soldier, Gowon, said although they were not in the same unit, he nonetheless admired Ojukwu’s courage as a true Nigerian soldier, adding that Ojukwu served the army well.

He said, “Well we did not serve in the same unit so I cannot say how he fared in his own unit, but we both served in the army before the change of government and he became the governor; I continued in the presidency until crisis separated us and we became opponents based on principles. Yes I believed in the national interest and he also believed in a national interest. But I believed in the bigger one — the Nigerian national interest.”

He gave credit to Ojukwu and the Igbo race for justifying the reasons for the war, adding however that at the end, everybody agreed that the Nigerian project was the greatest justification for going to war.

Gowon said that was the reason he never referred to Ojukwu as an enemy, but a fellow combatant.

“As at that time, I considered him as a Nigerian who will always come back to Nigeria and we were able to reconcile although other people tried to make sure that we didn’t. We were able to discuss on many occasions and even three years ago, I visited him in his home,” he said.

Also, former President Olusegun Obasanjo expressed sadness at the death of his “friend and colleague,” Ojukwu.

Obasanjo in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria said, “It is with deep sadness that I received the news of the demise of my friend and colleague. He and I were subalterns in the army at Nigeria’s independence in 1960.

“In a way, his death marks the end of an era in Nigeria. I condole with his family and pray for the repose of his soul.’’

http://www.punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5886:i’m-happy-ojukwu-died-as-a-nigerian-—-gowon&Itemid=542
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Relax101(m): 9:23pm On Nov 27, 2011
Relax101:

Gen Yakubu Gowonthisdaylive.com

Former Head of State, Gen Yakubu Gowon has described late Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu as a great Nigerian who believed so much in the unity of the country.

Gowon said he was happy Ojukwu died as a Nigerian and not as a Biafran.

Gowon who spoke to our correspondent on Saturday said although he and Ojukwu had divergent views during those critical moments in Nigeria’s history, events later proved that Ojukwu had an undying love for Nigeria to the extent that he aspired on more than one occasion to be President of Nigeria.

Speaking philosophically, Gowon said it was appointed unto man that one day, he must leave mother earth; and since it was Ojukwu’s time, no one could question destiny.

He said when Ojukwu was recuperating in a London hospital, he called his daughter to wish him well and to tell him to come back so that they could continue the struggle to keep Nigeria as one indivisible entity.

Gowon said even though he and Ojukwu had divergent interest that led to the civil war, his greatest happiness was that Ojukwu died with the belief in the unity of Nigeria.

The former head of state added, “My greatest happiness is that he went away a happy Nigerian; he even tried the presidency once or twice and for that I admired his courage.”

Gowon said even though some people did not want him to reconcile with Ojukwu, he felt so good when he shook hands with him as a friend and comrade.

He said one of the greatest lessons Nigerians had learnt from the unfortunate events of the Nigerian civil war was that never again would Nigerians pick up arms against one another.

On his assessment of Ojukwu as a soldier, Gowon, said although they were not in the same unit, he nonetheless admired Ojukwu’s courage as a true Nigerian soldier, adding that Ojukwu served the army well.

He said, “Well we did not serve in the same unit so I cannot say how he fared in his own unit, but we both served in the army before the change of government and he became the governor; I continued in the presidency until crisis separated us and we became opponents based on principles. Yes I believed in the national interest and he also believed in a national interest. But I believed in the bigger one — the Nigerian national interest.”

He gave credit to Ojukwu and the Igbo race for justifying the reasons for the war, adding however that at the end, everybody agreed that the Nigerian project was the greatest justification for going to war.

Gowon said that was the reason he never referred to Ojukwu as an enemy, but a fellow combatant.

“As at that time, I considered him as a Nigerian who will always come back to Nigeria and we were able to reconcile although other people tried to make sure that we didn’t. We were able to discuss on many occasions and even three years ago, I visited him in his home,” he said.

Also, former President Olusegun Obasanjo expressed sadness at the death of his “friend and colleague,” Ojukwu.

Obasanjo in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria said, “It is with deep sadness that I received the news of the demise of my friend and colleague. He and I were subalterns in the army at Nigeria’s independence in 1960.

“In a way, his death marks the end of an era in Nigeria. I condole with his family and pray for the repose of his soul.’’

http://www.punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5886:i’m-happy-ojukwu-died-as-a-nigerian-—-gowon&Itemid=542

Gowon pls stop!
Your backyard is on fire and you talking crap!
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 27, 2011
What is yaKobo gawan? Is it a cow or fowl? Cant remember! :/
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2011
This wan is still talkin about Nigeria even after the recent massacre of his own people der in Plateau. Pele! U really are not alright, maybe is old age. Eitherway sorry. sad
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by CyberG: 9:50pm On Nov 27, 2011
Obviously he is being gracious, like a lot of people who were alive at that time and were actually embroiled in the conflict. However, the little kids born 41+ years after have are ungraceful and show no class in their comments! The man is passed on and just leave him alone!
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 27, 2011
2 million people died for nothing.what a shame !
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by boneruns(m): 10:51pm On Nov 27, 2011
grin grin grin grin ROTFLWKMDFH . Even tears self dey roll-out from my eyes.
kenis:

What is yaKobo gawan? Is it a cow or fowl? Cant remember! :/
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by WilyWily4: 11:03pm On Nov 27, 2011
General Gowon where have you been hiding? Boko Hara is still around
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by sheyguy: 11:41pm On Nov 27, 2011
D sound of victory. One achieved his goal the other did not, what a shame.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:48pm On Nov 27, 2011
Mmmmmm
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by ak47mann(m): 11:55pm On Nov 27, 2011
sheyguy:

D sound of victory. One achieved his goal the other did not, what a shame.
he achieve his goals but you are not there to console him and his people getting butchered in a weekly basis.
hw old are you this boy?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by mickey339(m): 12:11am On Nov 28, 2011
What a pity, Sowwy
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by mensdept: 12:12am On Nov 28, 2011
~Bluetooth:

2 million people died for nothing.what a shame !

Yep, and millions more up to this day. By the way, we still get no constant light 4 9ja Nig.ga
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 28, 2011
I can't see anything reasonable in this statement, because everybody dies sometime!Gowon is not going to live forever, that is for sure.What is so interesting to be happy about in another person's death?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by vascey(m): 12:42am On Nov 28, 2011
Blo.ody Foo.l!!! angry angry
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Uchek(m): 1:05am On Nov 28, 2011
Are you also happy that your people are being massacred in Jos as a Nigerian?

Is their death worthy of this geographical expression called Nigeria?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Wisdomxy(m): 1:07am On Nov 28, 2011
all4naija:

I can't see anything reasonable in this statement, because everybody dies sometime!Gowon is not going to live forever, that is for sure.What is so interesting to be happy about in another person's death?

Please respect the man who took the decision over 42years ago when you were not probably born, that Nigeria must remain one and not divided the way many have been clamoring for. I will like you to understand that if Biafra had succeeded, you probably will have been an alien in Nigeria by now requiring visa to come to Nigeria or Arewa Republic and or Niger Delta Republic or the Odua Republic. Gen. Gowon(Go on with one Nigeria) has expressed his mind by showing that Ojukwu died as a Nigerian and not a Biafran and revealed how he had reconciled with the Ikemba Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu(May his Soul rest in peace).Truly Gowon is a true nationalist and a true Nigerian who deserves more honour than he is getting from me and you.Let me remind you that the late Ikemba fought for a just cause and did that selflessly, but how many of these our boot licking politicians who are claiming to be kith and kins of the Ikemba are ready to die for their people the way Ikemba did during the Nigerian/Biafran civil convulsions.I adjure you to read in between lines and see the statement Gen.Gowon made is not in anyway derogatory.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by BloodShed1: 1:14am On Nov 28, 2011
Zap HIM!!!
I hope he gets sprayed up in front of his family.

RIP Ojukwu.

One day we'll get our independence.

Biafra 2K11, and on and on,
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by ak47mann(m): 1:19am On Nov 28, 2011
Uchek:

Are you also happy that your people are being massacred in Jos as a Nigerian?

Is their death worthy of this geographical expression called Nigeria?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 28, 2011
" I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian"

Another way of saying; I won, he lost.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by yulad(m): 1:53am On Nov 28, 2011
@aigbofa: my thoughts too
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by HighChief4(m): 2:18am On Nov 28, 2011
And am sure Gowon is also happy his Plateu brothers are dying en mass as Nigerians
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 2:22am On Nov 28, 2011
Perhaps the Spirit of Wisdom will descend upon Gen. Gowon when all his Plateau brothers have been wiped out by the rampaging Fulanis . . . pity cry
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Nobody: 2:34am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

You are a genius!
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Uchek(m): 3:04am On Nov 28, 2011
Bayooooooo: That's a good interpretation. But did Gowon really win the war? Is the present Nigeria worthy of victory celebration? Will the widows and widowers of Jos masaccre - his people - agree with Gowon that he won the civil war?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Relax101(m): 3:10am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

bayooooooo:

You are a genius!

Gowon lost. We all know this except He has flown his family out of jos, Plateau.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by otokx(m): 3:16am On Nov 28, 2011
See as Gowon use style talk am jeje
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by CyberG: 3:54am On Nov 28, 2011
Funny thing is most people castigating Gowon were not even born then. In fact, you can't look him in the eye and tell him your BS. Heck, you can't even get close to him to spout your hate but hiding away behind your computer and in your mother's basement, parent's house or underground in a shack, you like to run your mouth?
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by member479760: 4:42am On Nov 28, 2011
the funny thing is that, if i see Gowon, I no go fi recognize am likewise Ojukwu, same thing apply to a lot of people writing stuff here, then why worry ya self.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Azorji: 4:48am On Nov 28, 2011
Indirectly reminding us that he won the civil war again cos he witnes his death,
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by Onlytruth(m): 5:05am On Nov 28, 2011
I dey laff because Ojukwu was a greater Nigerian than Gowon. FACT.
He tried his best to avert war, but Gowon allowed Hassan Katsina and Murtala Muhammad to push Nigeria to war.
Gowon was even a coward because he allowed half witted Hassan Katsina and bloodthirsty Murtala to push him around and plunge the country into a 3 year bloodbath which will NEVER be forgotten.

But to me, Ojukwu is the greatest Biafrancool cool cool
Thank you.
Re: I’m Happy Ojukwu Died As A Nigerian — Gowon by lagcity(m): 5:17am On Nov 28, 2011
Onlytruth:

I dey laff because Ojukwu was a greater Nigerian than Gowon. FACT.
He tried his best to avert war, but Gowon allowed Hassan Katsina and Murtala Muhammad to push Nigeria to war.
Gowon was even a coward because he allowed half witted Hassan Katsina and bloodthirsty Murtala to push him around and plunge the country into a 3 year bloodbath which will NEVER be forgotten.

But to me, Ojukwu is the greatest Biafran! cool cool cool
Thank you.
That's the same mistake Ojukwu and Igbos make over and over again. You people are supposed to be smart yet you've not learned that underestimating your opponent is the beginning of folly. Imagine someone calling Hassan Katsina half witted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Holding Kidnapped French Priest – Source / Breaking News! Tiv Seeks Independence From Nigeria, Writes United Nations / Japa: The Future Of Our Youths Not In Europe But In Nigeria – Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.