Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,858 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment (2795 Views)

Mile 12: Akiolu, Others Back Assembly Over Market Relocation - VANGUARD / Man Demands The Arrest Of Jonathan At The National Assembly Over The Arms Deal / Protesters Block Road To Rivers Assembly Over Plan To Cancel Council Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 2:17am On Nov 29, 2011
[size=14pt]Farmers besiege Osun Assembly •Over alleged inhuman treatment[/size]
Written by Adewale Ajayi, Osogbo Tuesday, 29 November 2011

ABOUT 1,000 farmers from Shasha farm settlement in Osun State, on Monday, stormed the state House of Assembly to protest alleged inhuman treatment meted out to them by the timber contractors, who, they claimed, were  acting on the instruction of the state government.

They alleged that the timber contractors chased them out of their farmlands and destroyed their produce, including cash and food crops.

Their spokesperson, Chief Mohammed Jimoh, who is the vice chairman of the association, said their means of livelihood had been destroyed, as they now lived a miserable life.

“There is problem between us and the timber contractors. They said they are acting on behalf of the state government and that we should all stop all forms of farming activities in the forest reserves.

“We don’t want trouble, that is why we take our grievances to the government so that it could intervene. For now, there is no hope of going back to our farmlands until government provides adequate securities that could guarantee the safety of our lives and properties,” he said.

Reacting, official of the state Ministry of Environment, Mr Joseph Ashaolu, said government reserves did not allow any form of farming activities, saying that the action of the farmers was illegal.

Mr Ashaolu, the Director of Forest Regeneration and Utilisation in the ministry, said the government, over time, had been battling with the issue of illegal farming, adding that it got to the extent that the former governor of the state, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, ordered all farmers in the forest reserves to leave the forest, because they had contravened government’s laws.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31971-farmers-besiege-osun-assembly-over-alleged-inhuman-treatment
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 2:21am On Nov 29, 2011
Another set of people slapped by Aregbesola. He gave them "free" farmlands in forest reserves?!!

The whole thing was done for show in Aregbe's familiar high story act. Now that he thinks people have forgotten, its time to beat 7 devils out of those poor peasant farmers and drive them off the land.

Gbawe! Gbawe!! Gbawe!!! angry
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-783848.0.html
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by koruji(m): 3:42am On Nov 29, 2011
[size=14pt]Ode, can't you read or you need new glasses  [/size]

The free lands were at Mokore farm settlement, the farmers complaining are from the Shasha farm settlement.

What am I even talking about - this is an example of your conscious bipolarity.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 4:02am On Nov 29, 2011
koruji:

[size=14pt]Ode, can't you read or you need new glasses [/size]

The free lands were at Mokore farm settlement, the farmers complaining are from the Shasha farm settlement.

You must be very dense!

Reacting, official of the state Ministry of Environment, Mr Joseph Ashaolu, said government reserves did not allow any form of farming activities, saying that the action of the farmers was illegal.

Mr Ashaolu, the Director of Forest Regeneration and Utilisation in the ministry, said the government, over time, had been battling with the issue of illegal farming, adding that it got to the extent that the former governor of the state, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, ordered all farmers in the forest reserves to leave the forest, because they had contravened government’s laws.

Even in your loose dictionary, there must be a vast difference between "farm settlement" and "forest reserve." When did the farm settlements become forest reserves that farmers are being beaten out off? In whose corrupt interest is it to convert farm settlements into forest reserves overnight?

Dunce.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 4:13am On Nov 29, 2011
koruji:

[size=14pt]Ode, can't you read or you need new glasses  [/size]

Mugu, see your Aregbesola (Mr Tawai! Tawai!!) giving out "free" land at Shasha farm settlement.

[size=14pt]Aregbesola: A unique agenda for Osun’s agricultural revolution[/size]

Written by newsadmin on November 10, 2011 in Features - No comments

•Olufi of Gbongan, Oba (Dr.) Adetoyese Oyeniyi, Chief of Staff, Alhaji Gboyega Oyetola; Director of Agricultural Services, State Ministry of Agriculture, Mr. Dauda Arisekola; Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola at Mokore-[size=14pt]Sasa Farm Settlement[/size].

http://dailyindependentnigeria.com/2011/11/10/aregbesola-a-unique-agenda-for-osun%E2%80%99s-agricultural-revolution/

Now, they are beating up the farmers.

[size=21pt]419! embarassed[/size]
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by sheyguy: 5:35am On Nov 29, 2011
They r simply inplementing laws for effective land usage, forest shld remain forest and farmland shld remain as well. I think it is a right step in the right direction.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 6:29am On Nov 29, 2011
sheyguy:

They r simply inplementing laws for effective land usage, forest shld remain forest and farmland shld remain as well. I think it is a right step in the right direction.

Which step was the right one? Giving farmers land on a forest reservation or beating them off it after they had begun farming their "land gifts?" It looks very well like two wrongs to me. But Aregbe's zeal to make big news with high stories, while doing zero work, is to high to be bothered by a few puny morals.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by koruji(m): 6:48am On Nov 29, 2011
I was calling you a bufoonish virus for fun, but now you are proving to be one in the true sense of the word. The fact that the newspaper used Mokore-Shasha doesn't mean they are talking about the same location - perhaps in proximity to each other, but not the same location - each with its own defined boundaries. Like Osun-Ogun States doesn't make them the same state. It could even be a mere logical connection in reference to the fact that they are both farm settlements.

Get it now - oh who am I kidding, you will return here with another brain-fart way to attack Aregbesola. Poor you, your heart burns everytime Aregbesola advances on his focused agenda for Osun. It is like you and your sponsors are scared of his success.

Since you know how to fish out information, have you heard about this programme - [size=14pt]Omo-Oluwa-Shasha Forest Elephant Initiative[/size]. Are those three places even in the same local government? Do you see any Mokore in there?

Jobless fellow wasting away megre oil resources - and to think this is the kind of people GEJ wants to remove subsidy in other to support.

Beaf:

Mugu, see your Aregbesola (Mr Tawai! Tawai!!) giving out "free" land at Shasha farm settlement.

http://dailyindependentnigeria.com/2011/11/10/aregbesola-a-unique-agenda-for-osun%E2%80%99s-agricultural-revolution/

Now, they are beating up the farmers.

[size=21pt]419! embarassed[/size]

Beaf:

Which step was the right one? Giving farmers land on a forest reservation or beating them off it after they had begun farming their "land gifts?" It looks very well like two wrongs to me. But Aregbe's zeal to make big news with high stories, while doing zero work, is to high to be bothered by a few puny morals.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by ektbear: 6:57am On Nov 29, 2011
Subsistence farmers will farm on any land they can find. Whether they have legal title or not. Not even just in Nigeria alone, in Brazil too the amazon rain forest is rapidly depleting in part due to the activity of farmers  sad

So that they were farming in a forest doesn't mean anyone gave them permission to do so.

At the same time, even though they aren't legally in the right, it is a bit complicated.

Perhaps the farmers feel that the land is communal property and that anyone should be able to use it. And sometimes these lands that are privatized or end up in government hands do so "mysteriously", let me put it that way.

There aren't really any easy answers here.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 6:59am On Nov 29, 2011
koruji:

I was calling you a bufoonish virus for fun, but now you are proving to be one in the true sense of the word. The fact that the newspaper used Mokore-Shasha doesn't mean they are talking about the same location - perhaps in proximity to each other, but not the same location - each with its own defined boundaries. Like Osun-Ogun States doesn't make them the same state. It could even be a mere logical connection in reference to the fact that they are both farm settlements.

Get it now - oh who am I kidding, you will return here with another brain-fart way to attack Aregbesola. Poor you, your heart burns everytime Aregbesola advances on his focused agenda for Osun. It is like you and your sponsors are scared of his success.

Since you know how to fish out information, have you heard about this programme - Omo-Oluwa-Shasha Forest Elephant Initiative. Are those three places even in the same local government? Do you see any Mokore in there?

Jobless fellow wasting away megre oil resources - and to think this is the kind of people GEJ wants to remove subsidy in other to support.

Damn!

So you don't even know the location, but you are here ranting and walking all over your own tongue? shocked shocked shocked
Wonders! Maybe you are a product of Oyes or OEducate! grin

So, from what perspective are you making your impish arguments? Na wa!
Abeg, face your front! It makes more sense to argue with rocks and stones than your type.

All hail Aregbesola, the most useless governor! The one whose advancements are big lies, fairy tales and high stories and 419 against peasant farmers. Free land my foot!

Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 29, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Farmers besiege Osun Assembly •Over alleged inhuman treatment[/size]
Written by Adewale Ajayi, Osogbo Tuesday, 29 November 2011

ABOUT 1,000 farmers from Shasha farm settlement in Osun State, on Monday, stormed the state House of Assembly to protest alleged inhuman treatment meted out to them by the timber contractors, who, they claimed, were  acting on the instruction of the state government.

They alleged that the timber contractors chased them out of their farmlands and destroyed their produce, including cash and food crops.

Their spokesperson, Chief Mohammed Jimoh, who is the vice chairman of the association, said their means of livelihood had been destroyed, as they now lived a miserable life.

“There is problem between us and the timber contractors. They said they are acting on behalf of the state government and that we should all stop all forms of farming activities in the forest reserves.

“We don’t want trouble, that is why we take our grievances to the government so that it could intervene. For now, there is no hope of going back to our farmlands until government provides adequate securities that could guarantee the safety of our lives and properties,” he said.

Mr Ashaolu, the Director of Forest Regeneration and Utilisation in the ministry, said the government, over time, had been battling with the issue of illegal farming, adding that it got to the extent that[b] the former governor of the state, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, ordered all farmers in the forest reserves to leave the forest, because they had contravened government’s laws.[/b]

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31971-farmers-besiege-osun-assembly-over-alleged-inhuman-treatment
This has become a perennial problem in osun state even when PDP was ruling.I wonder why beaf is trying hard to make a point out of this when there is none.Abeg is there any other definition for the word ''RESERVES'' ?
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by koruji(m): 7:08am On Nov 29, 2011
Unlike you, I am not going to pretend I know the location of these settlements. Do you know there locations?

The only place where Shasha and Mokere have been linked is in the caption to a stock picture in a newspaper. How is that for finding reference to convince yourself that two settlements mentioned exclusive of each other in two different articles do not refer to the same location because some newspaper guy wanted convenience in captioning his picture.

Abeg to siddon. [size=14pt]Are you not the same Beaf of "there is no rail line in Osogbo fame".[/size]

Yeye Beaf.

Beaf:

Damn!

So you don't even know the location, but you are here ranting and walking all over your own tongue? shocked shocked shocked
Wonders! Maybe you are a product of Oyes or OEducate! grin

So, from what perspective are you making your impish arguments? Na wa!
Abeg, face your front! It makes more sense to argue with rocks and stones than your type.

All hail Aregbesola, the most useless governor!
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 7:13am On Nov 29, 2011
koruji:

Unlike you, I am not going to pretend I know the location of these settlements. Do you know there locations?

The only place where Shasha and Mokere have been linked is in the caption to a stock picture in a newspaper. How is that for finding reference to convince yourself that two settlements mentioned exclusive of each other in two different articles do not refer to the same location because some newspaper guy wanted convenience in captioning his picture.

Abeg to siddon. [size=14pt]Are you not the same Beaf of "there is no rail line in Osogbo fame".[/size]

Yeye Beaf.

Ol' boy, has your desperation extended to lying too? shocked shocked shocked
I said there is no railway line in Dagbolu.

E ro ra o! E da ke rumours! grin grin grin grin

I wonder why Aregbe should give "free" land, only to get the farmers thoroughly beaten. Mr Tawai! Tawai!! embarassed
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 10:56am On Nov 29, 2011
Where is my Aregbe worshipping broda, Gbawe?
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by badesco(m): 11:35am On Nov 29, 2011
Is Acn for the masses? time will tell. You aint seen nothing yet. more austerity measures to come. Aregbe continue jo. Oshun oni baje o,
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Crescentd(m): 11:47am On Nov 29, 2011
I dont normally comment on many articles in this forum but I feel obliged to comment on this one.

Its unfortunate that people who have no clue about what has happened and what is happening in Osun State, feel they can ram wrong information and outright lies down our throat.

I am from Osun State and I am definitely not complaining about our state governor and his government.

This guy is freeing us and our children unborn from suffocating debt the previous administration got us into. A debt of 17b for what? To build stadium,  for that alone, I am not complaining.

Our state is now peaceful compared to just over a year ago when killing and destruction was the order of the day, the governor himself escaped assassination several times, many people lost their lives especially in Ilesha, including people known to me, for this I am not complaining.

The government has been making effort to cut the cost of governance. The governor is doubling as the Commissioner for Works and his deputy is also the Commissioner for Education and they are on one salary, whats there to complain about when we know that for a state to grow, it needs to reduce its recurrent expenditure drastically. Through this cost cutting, the state has saved up 30b for capital projects. We are definitely not complaining.

Infact there are so many things we are not complaining about. Things that the PDP had 7 years to do but they simply couldnt.Instead, mediocrity, thuggery and brigandage was foisted on our dear state.

However, I dont believe the current Governor is the best thing since sliced bread. He has his own flaws. But I believe he is going in the right direction, he is making the tough decisions and he surely deserved to be given a chance by us(OSUN STATE RESIDENTS AND INDIGENES) and we are giving him that chance.

Lets not attempt to destroy a good man through lies and fabrications, let us criticize our leaders constructively to take our nation forward and condemn those leaders who are hell bent on destroying our country.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Furst: 11:50am On Nov 29, 2011
Jonny promised us electricity. Jonny promised us roads. Jonny promised us security

What has Jonny given us?

Jonny offers us tenure elongation. Jonny gives us news of fresh bombings everyday. Jonny gave us 10 naira in new minimum wage and offers to take 50 naira by removing subsidy.

Jonny told us he understood. Jonny told us he had no shoes!

Now Jonny has a gucci pair and to hell with those that don't

Enough of Jonny and his antics. We cannot continue to live on "e go betta" and "my turn dey come". Jonny cannot continue to eat our future like a locust while we the people live low cost

The only criteria we will ever need for greatness is the courage to posses our dreams

We deserve so much more Jonny. We will no longer feed from the crumbs of your table.

Add a friend Naija activist, lets create an awareness for change. Let us come together and stop Jonny from selling our souls for a new pair of Zara shoes

Join us in standing for change

Group name: Naija Activists
URL: http://www./9jactivists/
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:26pm On Nov 29, 2011
badesco:

Is Acn for the masses? time will tell. You aint seen nothing yet. more austerity measures to come. Aregbe continue jo. Oshun oni baje o,
lol
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by pheesayor(m): 1:14pm On Nov 29, 2011
Crescent_d:

I dont normally comment on many articles in this forum but I feel obliged to comment on this one.

Its unfortunate that people who have no clue about what has happened and what is happening in Osun State, feel they can ram wrong information and outright lies down our throat.

I am from Osun State and I am definitely not complaining about our state governor and his government.

This guy is freeing us and our children unborn from suffocating debt the previous administration got us into. A debt of 17b for what? To build stadium,  for that alone, I am not complaining.

Our state is now peaceful compared to just over a year ago when killing and destruction was the order of the day, the governor himself escaped assassination several times, many people lost their lives especially in Ilesha, including people known to me, for this I am not complaining.

The government has been making effort to cut the cost of governance. The governor is doubling as the Commissioner for Works and his deputy is also the Commissioner for Education and they are on one salary, whats there to complain about when we know that for a state to grow, it needs to reduce its recurrent expenditure drastically. Through this cost cutting, the state has saved up 30b for capital projects. We are definitely not complaining.

Infact there are so many things we are not complaining about. Things that the PDP had 7 years to do but they simply couldnt.Instead, mediocrity, thuggery and brigandage was foisted on our dear state.

However, I dont believe the current Governor is the best thing since sliced bread. He has his own flaws. But I believe he is going in the right direction, he is making the tough decisions and he surely deserved to be given a chance by us(OSUN STATE RESIDENTS AND INDIGENES) and we are giving him that chance.

Lets not attempt to destroy a good man through lies and fabrications, let us criticize our leaders constructively to take our nation forward and condemn those leaders who are hell bent on destroying our country.

Thanks.

oya beaf, ACN hater respond to this!!!
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Demdem(m): 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2011
Fürst:

Jonny promised us electricity. Jonny promised us roads. Jonny promised us security

What has Jonny given us?

Jonny offers us tenure elongation. Jonny gives us news of fresh bombings everyday. Jonny gave us 10 naira in new minimum wage and offers to take 50 naira by removing subsidy.

Jonny told us he understood. Jonny told us he had no shoes!

Now Jonny has a gucci pair and to hell with those that don't

Enough of Jonny and his antics. We cannot continue to live on "e go betta" and "my turn dey come". Jonny cannot continue to eat our future like a locust while we the people live low cost

The only criteria we will ever need for greatness is the courage to posses our dreams

We deserve so much more Jonny. We will no longer feed from the crumbs of your table.

Add a friend Naija activist, lets create an awareness for change. Let us come together and stop Jonny from selling our souls for a new pair of Zara shoes

Join us in standing for change

Group name: Naija Activists
URL: http://www./9jactivists/

Bro, u will need to get used to their malady. Only the gullible will accept their lies. Osun didn't vote for pdp even during the retardeen's election as against other SW states. This is enough to make them go mad the more.
Crescent_d:

Thanks.

Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Gbawe: 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2011
Crescent_d:

Thanks.

Great input. Is Aregbesola without flaws? of course not. Nonetheless, it is obvious he is the right man for the job and on course to turn Osun's fortune around for the better considering how bad the Oyinlola Government was. All those who mean well for Osun should support Aregbesola's efforts rather than allow themselves to be taken in by the lies and deciet of paid hacks who have never set foot in Osun State.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by seanet02: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2011
beaf. the guy no get one single brain
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by babaowo: 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2011
Does these boy called BEAF doesn't has any work or he had been paid 10yrs ghost worker in advance Cos i see no reason for someone condemn good work some ppl have done,cos you are supporting opposition party,nigerian suppose to be in support of good government,either is PDP, CPC,or ACN.please lets change our orientention brov.
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by bandely(m): 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2011
BEAF, ever present in this kind of thread.

They are looking for you here o. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-813421.0.html
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 10:03am On Nov 30, 2011
Crescent_d:

Thanks.

Sir, what does any of the above have to do with the farmers who were beaten up after being 419ed that they had been given free land?
Dude, how does the sentimental stuff above connect with farmers being given "free" land in a nature reserve?

Please lets learn to stay on topic, don't talk about B when the question is about A. Talk about the land or zap. cool
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 10:11am On Nov 30, 2011
babaowo:

Does these boy called BEAF doesn't has any work or he had been paid 10yrs ghost worker in advance Cos i see no reason for someone condemn good work some ppl have done,cos you are supporting opposition party,nigerian suppose to be in support of good government,either is PDP, CPC,or ACN.please lets change our orientention brov.

You mean beating up the farmers was good work? Or was it lying to them about "free" land? Perhaps telling high lies is a good thing?
Some of you spend so much time making personal attacks that you end up sounding quite dim.

Aregbesola is bloody useless and good at telling high stories with zero delivery. Prove me wrong or waka!
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 10:15am On Nov 30, 2011
Gbawe:

Great input. Is Aregbesola without flaws? of course not. Nonetheless, it is obvious he is the right man for the job and on course to turn Osun's fortune around for the better considering how bad the Oyinlola Government was. All those who mean well for Osun should support Aregbesola's efforts rather than allow themselves to be taken in by the lies and deciet of paid hacks who have never set foot in Osun State.

I guess you think the job is telling high stories and 419. embarassed
Free farm land in an elephant reserve? Damn! Bloody hilarious!
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 10:49am On Dec 02, 2011
Why did Aregbesola lie that he was doling out free land. . . In an elephant reserve? Damn! shocked
Why did RASCAL Aregbe order the farmers be well beaten and driven off their "free land?"
Why tell high stories just to get into the papers and then beat the innocent farmers?

Why?

Questions! Questions!! Questions!!! angry
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by Beaf: 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
Gbawe! Gbawe!! Gbawe!!!
The Aregbesola defender, how far with the "free land" na? Aregbesola's case is simply one of 419! cry cry cry
Re: Farmers Besiege Osun Assembly Over Alleged Inhuman Treatment by marcus1234: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Tunisian Women Waging ‘s*x Jihad’ In Syria / Breaking News: Omisore Petitions INEC / Jonathan’s Govt Has Finished Nigeria,squandering Oil Wealth–says Hillary Clinton

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.