Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms (818 Views)

#ifeanyiubahn200perusd Is Now Trending, After He Promised To Restore Naira Back / Bode George Has Promised To Leave Nigeria Soonest Over Buhari's Win / Lagos APC Crisis Deepen As APC Integrity Group Calls For Immediate Arrest Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by prophet(m): 5:11pm On Sep 25, 2007
MR PRESIDENT: REMEMBER YOUR PROMISE TO NIGERIANS

Let me congratulate His Excellency, President Umar Musa Yar’Adua for the attainment of 100 days (mark) in office. Also, Mr President must be applauded for his determination to rigorously pursue his seven-point agenda. His style is uniquely distant/different from that of our much beloved ex-President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
Funny enough, both are largely misunderstood for being too cool, calm and collected and being too much of an action man – quick, sharp, brash, etc. Yet, to say the ex-President was very effective would be an understatement. Mr President Yar’Adua will be effective. However, some initial concerns.

It takes boldness to be a change agent. In the case of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, history will adjudge the circumstances of his 8 year tenure. I had to put pen to paper, lest I regret. God is Watching over Nigeria. Leaders, lawmakers and all, beware! God Will Judge all.

The election campaigns were aggressively prosecuted with maximum alacrity. It was clear to most observers that regardless of the way the outcome of the elections have been criticized, the PDP appears to be most representative across Nigeria.
The technology available to date will hopefully confirm that the ex-President left no stones unturned, working assiduously for the success of his party, the PDP. In fact, the President elect, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua had it very easy indeed, as far as the rigours of actual campaining went.

If any would-be leader has people in the campaign train who would so rigorously, sincerely and energetically prosecute their campaign with as much faith to back it up (in the candidate), such would be so blessed.

Statements were made by Mr President with regard to the ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo and his administration. Words were used to qualify the latter as one of the best things to happen to Nigeria. Whether you love or hate the man, the facts remain that in the last 8 years, Nigeria changed for the better. The foundation has been laid for a new Nigeria.

A reforms agenda was prosecuted with military (experience) aggression, as if to save a human life; if we could place Nigeria as a nation in the place of a human being, in a major battle to live, in a life or death situation. Such an aggressive intervention requires the expertise of bold strong leadership to effect the required change.

Most nations that succeed passed through such; and most nations intending to succeed must be willing and ready for such leadership. The facts on the ground warrant a case for continuous learning via research, based on available evidence.

Combining this with projections for the future can only strengthen the foundation already laid, as well as consolidate any current learning with a view to channeling and structuring a pathway for the future development, growth and progress. It’s a very steep learning curve in the case of my dearly beloved Nigeria.

Yes, in a fledgling, young democracy, there can be no way to achieve such without major moves to tear up, break down, demolish and or erode already damaged structures (if we can call them such). As the Good Book teaches, before anything can grow, first it has to die. Death is not what we humans perceive it to mean literally. However, it’s a different type of development, another process entirely. The study of how a seed is planted and leads to a harvest of seeds will clarify this matter.

You can, under cameras set for the purpose, actually observe the process of grain decomposition that leads to new life (as we perceive it). Yet, when the emerging plant life matures, a harvest of far many more seeds than planted is achieved as an end result.

Therefore, I saw a light at the end of Nigeria’s tunnel in the bold steps taken by the Obasanjo administration, which Yar’Adua promised to deepen. There were landmark paradigm shifts in that last administrations, which sadly, even many who actually benefited from it ( to date) refuse to acknowledge. If anything, they still swear that nothing good ever came out of the Obasanjo administraton.

Fom my observations so far, it would appear that in trying to play to satisfy the whims and caprices of a diversity of forces, Mr President, Umar Musa Yar’Adua may be in need of far reaching and deeper prayers not to miss it with regard to fulfilling his promise to Nigerians to continue with the reforms of the last administration and deepen them. This is what Nigeria needs.

I am sure that it will be a lot clearer to Mr President that there are unbelievable numbers of forces at work in Nigeria. The most saddening thing is that, had such forces been harnessed, focused to move Nigeria forward, it will be clear to the whole world that Nigeria is a force the world has to reckon with.

Alhaji Yar’Adua must be wary of vested interests whose clamouring, in hating ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo is not based on objective facts of life and or office, rather, on envy, hatred and mischief. Does it mean that no mistakes were made by the last administration? No. However, we should allow for more celebration of what was achieved to encourage all at home and abroad.

I was most amazed that almost immediately Mr President came into Office, he began to entertain die hard Obasanjo administration enemies who did absolutely nothing to effect his election to office at the expense of trusted allies and loyalists, including the man, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo himself. This is my personal observation of course. The result, it appears, is a very gradual reversal of key strategic aspects of the reforms agenda, as put in place in the last administration.

There is great wisdom in the style adopted by Mr President. However, even if he is distancing himself from Chief Obasanjo’s image, he should equally distance himself from the images of big egos and vested interests that are chronically and more or less permanently, anti-Obasanjo people. Hatred begets hatred. Mr President must work to promote love not hatred. Hatred for Obasanjo has now began to mean hatred for all who worked for the last administration (including Professor Soludo, Nuhu Ribadu etc.).

Throwing the baby out with the bath water will never solve any problem. Government of National Unity must mean what it says. Due process must mean what it says. Rule of Law must mean what it says; not the protection of anyone’s clients at all costs!

Obasanjo’s government was branded lawless. Has it occurred to us that it would not have been possible to make relevant adjustments/amendments as required to tackle certain knotty issues in the process of rebuilding Nigeria? If a decision needs to be taken and bureaucratic red tapes make it impossible, what should a leader do to be effective? Logically, a leader faced with such matters is bound to rub the powers that be and vested interests the other way.

I am praying for Mr President as much as possible that the Good Lord Will Guide and Guard him to ensure that his unique personal style will not amount to nothingness, in prosecuting his spoken promises to Nigerians.

I have faith in this government. However, to allow the EFCC, ICPC to suffer unnecessary embarrassment from the hands of the likes of the new Attorney General of the Federation will surely amount to a score of zero for the administration. The AGF has goofed big time and should go now before the contents of pandora’s box begin to spill out.

The AGF’s prompt attack on the CBN Governor likewise is perplexing. Professor Chukuma Soludo is celebrated, like Nuhu Ribadu all over the world and their work/service has been highlighted, not just for awards (internationally), but also for benchmarking. Is it possible that the Professor’s attackers suddenly have more or better wisdom to handle Nigeria’s money policy?

It is likely to be and understatement in the eyes of many, but, don’t we have an idea that there are certain powers whose interests are being served currently, against the best interests of Nigeria?

Suddenly, Dokubo Asari, Alamiesiegha, Kalu et al are saints to be protected by the Presidency at all costs (or is it by the AGF)? Nigerians are surely watching. Terrorists and criminals are enjoying the high powered patronage of the Presidency and their Excellencies all over the place. All of a sudden, like all other Obasanjo haters, an impression is being fuelled (it would appear from above) that the last 8 years has been a fraud and only a reversal (if possible total erasure) will cleanse Nigeria from Obasanjo.

My point is this, has Mr President changed his views about that last administration that ushered in his office? No matter how bad/evil the previous administrations that almost ruined Nigeria completely were, the Presidency under Obasanjo and previous Heads of State were rather very cautious and sensitive in commenting on them. Except of course in the military era where power was taken via coup de tat.

History will adjudge whether or not Yar’Adua’s moves are in the best interests of Nigeria. All am saying here is that if Mr President has changed his mind regarding the successes recorded by the Obasanjo era, he should make it clear to Nigerians. Otherwise, he should focus on his promises and not allow himself to be misled as it appears to be the case already.

The Bible says the law is the power of sin.

Mr President must not allow due process to be the power that will further entrench corruption in Nigeria, rather, entrench and deepen the powers and impact of EFCC, ICPC and other similar change agencies. I pray that Mr AGF will not act against Professor (Mrs) Dora Akunyili next; as we know that certain powers are also working for her to fail.

Can anyone pretend that the legal system does not help criminals escape under the pretext that their human rights must not be abused. How about the masses against whom the impact of the evil these people do is most felt?

I know that Mr President, Umar Musa Yar’Adua probably means very well for Nigeria. He must remember that he is dealing with Nigerians. The honeymoon (which Obasanjo never really had) that Mr President has been enjoying will soon be over.

I foresee much more embarrassment for this government as the Presidency is sending some very wrong signals to Nigerians and the international communities. Unless, the matter of the EFCC is resolved immediately and the redenomination of the Naira issue (monetization which is working for Ghana) revisited devoid of sentiments. The issue must be transparently debated with facts and not swept under the carpet.

Yes, the administration is very young. I believe in the reforms agenda and that it must be pursued vehemently. However, to fulfill the promise made to Nigerians, Mr President must take good care not to get carried away by so called friends in the name of this Government of National Unity.

GNU is great and I see that some states are adopting this too. However, the best interests of Nigeria as per governance must not be compromised at all.

Segun Adeniyi, veteran journalist, now Presidential spokesman went to the US. for “training” (sophisticated). Had this been Chief Fani-Kayode, Remi Oyo or Uba Sani under President Obasanjo, God forbid. He got some stick alright; however, again, history will adjudge. There is nothing wrong in going for a course abroad etc. Timing is a different matter.

Lesson for the chronic critics: it can be your turn sooner than you imagine.

8 years passed like a day. Another 8 years will come and pass again. Let all government functionaries and their cohorts remember that Nigeria will continue and Nigerians are waiting yet again to give their verdicts at the end of the administration. I want to see more effective action from Mr President, Umar Musa Yar’Adua though. I know some of those who now look holier than Obasanjo and the last administration’s crew will be exposed soon enough. The smokescreen will surely clear.

Why is it that human beings pay more attention to cruel criticisms (not positive criticism) and work assiduously to pacify same? Even to the detriment of genuine encouragement? Well that’s life some will say. Anyway, much respect to Nigerians who are speaking out. Keeping quiet does very little if any good in the situation we are in, in Nigeria. Let’s all lend a hand to the rebuilding process. May God Help us all.

I pray that the Wisdom of God is Granted our able President, to effect desired change in Nigeria. May God Grant him good health, long life and prosperity with peace at home and abroad to achieve what appears to be impossible, speedily. I wish you, Mr President, all the very best.

May God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Prophet Folayan Osekita MBA.

Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by McKren(m): 11:42am On Sep 26, 2007
Good write up but only time will tell and the truth will be ascertained. Nigerians think OBJ is their greatest enemy. people have the right to hate or love him it is entirely their call.

But one thing is certain, he did not go about lobbying Nduka Obaigbena or other media moguls just to earn cheap popularity.

OBJ is accused of disobedience of court orders but he did not in anyway tamper with judicial process nor did he coerce High court judges to tilt court pronouncements in certain manner. We did not see a situation where an accused pleads guilty and all of a sudden he is granted a verdict designed specifically to see him become a free man within 24hrs, nor did we withness a situation where the director of public prosecution goes to court defending an accused he is meant to be prosecuting, we did not see a situation where an exparte order expected to have ran out within 14days is implemented indefinitely.

While the present administration is guided by so much quest for popularity, OBJ's administration was guided by conviction for doing what is right for the country.
Time will tell which we should crave for.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2007
he is looking for trouble, but wait o, are you getting prophetic or are you emotional
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 26, 2007
he is looking for trouble, but wait o, are you getting prophetic or are you emotional
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2007
McKren:

Good write up but only time will tell and the truth will be ascertained. Nigerians think OBJ is their greatest enemy. people have the right to hate or love him it is entirely their call.

But one thing is certain, he did not go about lobbying Nduka Obaigbena or other media moguls just to earn cheap popularity.

OBJ is accused of disobedience of court orders but he did not in anyway tamper with judicial process nor did he coerce High court judges to tilt court pronouncements in certain manner. We did not see a situation where an accused pleads guilty and all of a sudden he is granted a verdict designed specifically to see him become a free man within 24hrs, nor did we withness a situation where the director of public prosecution goes to court defending an accused he is meant to be prosecuting, we did not see a situation where an exparte order expected to have ran out within 14days is implemented indefinitely.

While the present administration is guided by so much quest for popularity, OBJ's administration was guided by conviction for doing what is right for the country.
Time will tell which we should crave for.

@ McKren

Your observations are very accurate here. But an even more important fact you've ommitted is that most of these people- Orji Kalu, Alameyeseigha, Peter Odili, etc, they are as good as untouchable because if the Yar'Adua Administration goes the whole hog to prosecute them, they will bring down Obasanjo with them.

OBJ deserves to be in jail just as much as all these ex-governors. Ever wondered why the govt did that dramatic volte-face in the Kalu case? It's because Orji Kalu knows where quite a number of bodies are buried, and Ibo boy to the core, he refuses to go down alone. I don't blame him, what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Yar'adua has had to muzzle the EFCC just to keep Obasanjo out of jail, because he's so much beholden to him. There's no way he could have made it to Aso Rock without OBJ behind him, using him.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by IykeD1(m): 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2007
@ziddy

@ McKren

Your observations are very accurate here. But an even more important fact you've ommitted is that most of these people- Orji Kalu, Alameyeseigha, Peter Odili, etc, they are as good as untouchable because if the Yar'Adua Administration goes the whole hog to prosecute them, they will bring down Obasanjo with them.

OBJ deserves to be in jail just as much as all these ex-governors. Ever wondered why the govt did that dramatic volte-face in the Kalu case? It's because Orji Kalu knows where quite a number of bodies are buried, and Ibo boy to the core, he refuses to go down alone. I don't blame him, what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Yar'adua has had to muzzle the EFCC just to keep Obasanjo out of jail, because he's so much beholden to him. There's no way he could have made it to Aso Rock without OBJ behind him, using him.

I think its a big STRETCH for anyone to suggest that Yar Adua is muzzling the EFCC to protect Obasanjo.
Protect him from what and how? Is Obasanjo the one being investigated now? If you can't prosecute a
common governor, then how good your are chances going after Obasanjo? I think unlike Obasanjo, we
have been making up too much excuses for Yar Adua, maybe because his administration is young, but
sooner or later the honeymoon will be over and Nigerians will begin to see the results of his policies, or
the lack of it. Yar Adua is being naive in believing that the like of Atiku, Kalu, or Ibori had the real interest
of the country at heart. One thing is certain: he and his administration will be put to shame in a few years
if he succeeds in shielding these guys or gutting the EFCC.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 26, 2007
Well its obvious Yar'adua has nothing personal to gain from letting his thieving ex-colleagues go free. They funded his campaign by proxy, OBJ compelled them (more like extortion, Nigeria police style) to shell out funds for all these nefarious schemes. ditto 'Corporate Nigeria'. Yaradua does not really owe them anything but he has to keep to the quasi-gentleman's agreement OBJ brokered in order to obtain those funds. There's honour among thieves.

Now before you jump at me with abuse, am not an OBJ-hater, i admire so many things about the man but he's definitely not a saint.

Obasanjo is still the issue here.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by McKren(m): 3:48pm On Sep 26, 2007
Well the issue here is not about OBJ it is about Nigeria

When a President comes to power on a campaign slogan promising to sustain certain reforms or continuing anti-corruption fight, if less than 6months down the line he has spent more time going against his major campaign promises then we are left with no choice than to think this President was either lying when he was campaigning or his Government has been hijacked and misdirected.

Leadership is not a popularity contest and sometimes what matters most is not how popular you are in Government but how history will remember you.

Yaradua should ignore all his media spin and lobbying of Nduka Obaigbena, he should ignore fighting EFCC or protecting the interest of the rich. His gospel of Rule of Law should also include sanctioning judges offering dubious court orders. The worldwide rule of law we know is for the accused to go to court and prove his innocence while the accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty not encouraging people to obtain court orders preventing Judicial process.

As a matter of fact wherever Henry Okah alias Jomo Gbomo is he should get his lawyer to approach a Bayelsa High Court to prevent his arrest and prosecution so that whenever he is repatriated into Nigeria he becomes a free man by default. Since that is the kind of rule of law we want to practice. So that when FG goes against that they will explain to us the difference between Henry Okah and Odili or Kalu or Turaki.

People say the President is sincere, I am sorry I have not seen it. All we see is the President saying one thing and doing the exact opposite.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 26, 2007
Iyke-D:

@ziddy

Yar Adua is being naive in believing that the like of Atiku, Kalu, or Ibori had the real interest
of the country at heart. One thing is certain: he and his administration will be put to shame in a few years
if he succeeds in shielding these guys or gutting the EFCC.

we cant be so definite in concluding that his administration is headed for the rocks because of this. Lets look at the strategy first. is it workable?

If Yar'adua insists on shielding that band of robbers from the law (thats what he's obviously trying to do, all that rule-of-law bullshit is just a smokescreen), are we then starting from a fresh slate?

Bonny light is still gushing out of the ground, the world is still powered by gasoline. There's still going to be money, enough to go round for the next sixty years or so. So theoretically Nigeria can still make good and join the league of Saudi, UAE and all those Arabs.

But like you pointed out earlier he would have succeeded in gutting the EFCC, since since with all those thieves walking around as free men (with their loot intact) there wont be any moral standpoint for putting anybody in jail when they steal public money. Meaning that the stealing will most likely continue.

The big question is: CAN NIGERIA SUCCEED WITHOUT THE EFCC OR AN EQUIVALENT ORGANISATION? How do we put an end to the stealing?? What is Yar'adua's game plan?
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by McKren(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2007
If that is the game plan it is not very difficult.

Next week monday is 1st October, he should grant amnesty to all corrupt governors rather than all this schoolboy deciet in the name of rule of law.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by IykeD1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 26, 2007

But like you pointed out earlier he would have succeeded in gutting the EFCC, since since with all those thieves walking around as free men (with their loot intact) there wont be any moral standpoint for putting anybody in jail when they steal public money. Meaning that the stealing will most likely continue.

The big question is: CAN NIGERIA SUCCEED WITHOUT THE EFCC OR AN EQUIVALENT ORGANISATION? How do we put an end to the stealing?? What is Yar'adua's game plan?

Its not a only a question of Yar Adua's moral authority, but the number of looters that will emerge in the
next few years will increase. Why wouldn't it if the only anti-corruption agency in the country is powerless
and the president is sending a message that essentially says: corruption will not be tolerated but if you
are caught you can use the rule of law to your fullest advantage
. No amount of speech making will curb
corruption in Nigeria, the only option is severe punishment and a zero-tolerant environment for it.
Re: Yar'adua Promised To Continue With And Deepen Obasanjo's Reforms by prophet(m): 3:24am On Sep 28, 2007
McCren, wonderful insight , may God Bless and Save Nigeria. Amen.

(1) (Reply)

Nine Killed In Burmese Crackdown / Let's List Out What We Want The Govt. To Do For Us In Our Immediate Environment. / Soldiers Open Fire On Protesting Youths In Ahoada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.