Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? (2907 Views)

No Tribe Is Marginalised In Nigeria Fr Mbaka - Dailypost / Ohanaeze Chief Threatens Igbo Will Secede If Marginalised / GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 11:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
Human Development Index: Who is Marginalised?

According to Wikipedia
The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic used to rank countries by level of "human development" and separate "very high human development", "high human development", "medium human development", and "low human development" countries. The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, a developing or an under-developed country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. There are also HDI for states, cities, villages, etc. by local organizations or companies.

HDI combines three dimensions:

1.   A long and healthy life: Life expectancy at birth
2.   Education index: Mean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
3.   A decent standard of living: GNI per capita (PPP US$)

In the context of marginalization, and realisation of potential in Nigeria, which Zone or ethnic group is currently the better off in Nigeria using those three dimension and who is marginalised?
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 02, 2011
Poster, start by naming a region.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 4:55am On Dec 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Poster, start by naming a region.

You have one on your mind?

There are six geopolitical regions in any case

NC
NE
NW
SE
SS
SW

Which of these regions in your opinion is better off in terms of the following HDI criteria

1. A long and healthy life: Life expectancy at birth
2. Education index: Mean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
3. A decent standard of living: GNI per capita (PPP US$)

I am not sure of the statistics of life expectancy across the region
But certainly items 2, and 3 certainly favour the South.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 4:56am On Dec 02, 2011
From best to worst:

South east
"South south"
the rest
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 4:56am On Dec 02, 2011
PointB:

You have one on your mind?

There are six geopolitical regions in any case

NC
NE
NW
SE
SS
SW

Which of these regions in your opinion is better off in terms of the following HDI criteria

1. A long and healthy life: Life expectancy at birth
2. Education index: Mean years of schooling and Expected years of schooling
3. A decent standard of living: GNI per capita (PPP US$)

I am not sure of the statistics of life expectancy across the region
But certainly items 2, and 3 certainly favour the South.

Let's start with your answer.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 5:05am On Dec 02, 2011
ezeagu:

From best to worst:

South east
"South south"
the rest

What parameter are you basing your choice on? Any evidence?
And delving further into the HDI by city standard, which six cities would you like to live in Nigeria? And why?
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 5:05am On Dec 02, 2011
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 5:05am On Dec 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Let's start with your answer.

Madam I am the one asking the question here. Sho gbo?
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 5:08am On Dec 02, 2011
23% of the south east women get HIV testing and the closest region to the number is "South south" with 11%, WOW!
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 5:11am On Dec 02, 2011
PointB:

Madam I am the one asking the question here. Sho gbo?

Answer your own question. Which region do you pick?
Lead by example, start the thread with some mind blowing facts.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 5:11am On Dec 02, 2011
Obviously from the PDF posted the south east/"south souths" standard of living is WAY above Nigerias' as a whole.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 5:14am On Dec 02, 2011
So that was a quick thread.

Conclusion: No one's being marginalised, different cultures provide different results (for better or for worse)
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 5:28am On Dec 02, 2011
ezeagu:

See here:

www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/SR173/SR173.pdf

Thanks man, will go through and will be back shortly.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 5:40am On Dec 02, 2011
In fact, this PDF is making me sad, certain regions are misrepresenting other regions. How can 23% of the south east's women be doing their duties and getting HIV tests regularly, yet Nigeria's overall percentage of those getting HIV tests is only 7%. South east teenage child bearing is 8%, yet Nigeria's average is 23%, south east vaccinations coverage is 43%, Nigeria 23%.

Holding people back!
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 6:28am On Dec 02, 2011
Indeed mind boggling statistics are found in that PDF.

Here is the summary,

Education:

SW - Top (figures not stated)
NW - Least

Health

Fertility (number of birth per woman)
SW - 4.5
NW - 7.3

Nigeria average - 5.7

Tenage Child Bearing

SE - 8%
NW - 45%

Nigeria Average - 23%

Median Age at first sexual intercourse (WOmen)

SE - 20.4
NW - 15.4

Child Vacination

SE/SW - 43%
NW - 6%

Nigeria - 23

Stunted Growth (Malnutrition)
SE - 22
NW - 53

Nigeria - 41%

Use of Mosquito Net

SE - 11%
NW - 4

Nigeria - 6%

TOPS

SE - 4 Indices
SW - 2 Indices

More data of physical living environment/condition and GNI per capital needed. So far the statistics is revealing.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 02, 2011
So, thread closed then? Thank you for the info.
thread only strengthens ppl's desire to relocate to the SW.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 6:33am On Dec 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So, thread closed then? Thank you for the info.
[s]thread only strengthens ppl's desire to relocate to the SW. [/s]

PointB:

More data of physical living environment/condition and GNI per capital needed. So far the statistics is revealing.

Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 02, 2011
Thank God the stat is revealing. What is now next?
Will that stop ppl from relocating to the SW/ North as usual?
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Onlytruth(m): 6:36am On Dec 02, 2011
Where is ekt-bear?

This statistics would answer most of his type of questions. cool
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 6:38am On Dec 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Thank God the stat is revealing. What is now next?
Will that stop ppl from relocating to the SW/ North as usual?

Do you have a figure/data on this relocation?
For all I care there are less than 1000 non-indigene in SW/North at any given time.
Can you prove otherwise?
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 02, 2011
PointB:

Do you have a figure/data on this relocation?
For all I care there are less than 1000 non-indigene in SW/North at any given time.
Can you prove otherwise?

Hold on, lemme hand count everybody.
We'll ignore known facts and fake "30%" "60%" etc that's been flying over the web for now.
Will be back with my stats.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 6:42am On Dec 02, 2011
This thread should be on the front page.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ezeagu(m): 6:45am On Dec 02, 2011
Actual facts trump loud mouths and their follow-follow's.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by okosodo: 6:53am On Dec 02, 2011
t
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by PointB: 7:14am On Dec 02, 2011
ezeagu:

Actual facts trump loud mouths and their follow-follow's.

I agree with you.

Daily you keep hearing 'go and develop your land.'

But when you look at musiwa's famous satelite pictures.  grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-688971.0.html

You see those living in well laid out cities, and those choked beyond measure with slums for cities.

Then looking at this statistics, another revelation begins to unfold. SE is indeed ahead her peers despite the war and government unfavorable policies.

The intention of this post is actually to find an answer to some seemingly contradictions. Discounting Lagos and Abuja,

1. Is SE more developed compared to other Zones?
2. If the answer is YES, why do we keep hearing "Go and develop your region?"
3. If the answer is NO, where/what is the evidence of development in other regions compare to SE? Cities, wealth, health? Which Zone has the best cities? (
4. If there is not evidence of such development, to what extent (with evidence) can non-indigenes claim to have developed other people's land?
5. If there is no such evidence of development (beyond what obtains in SE), should we not also ask why other Zones are not developing their land? In other words, why is there no picturesque view of SW Cities such as Abeokuta, Ibadan, Akure? Are they waiting for non-indigenes to take the lead in the long overdue face-lift of these cities?

These contradictions needs to be properly addressed to better address the issue of "go and develop your region" mentality of Nigerians.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Areosapien(f): 8:40am On Dec 02, 2011
Ironically, those polio-stricken, slum-drenched regions are the ones that parade Dangote and Adenuga as their billionaires. Two men wey don play monopoly sotaayyyy monopoly sef don begin dey play dem.
Dem dey call them their billionaires, but can you help laughing at these people when you find out say the money no circulate at all for the region?
Female literacy? Poor.
Child vaccination? Poor.
Stunted growth? FAIL (and these na people wey been want starve SE before o! I dey laugh)
Teenage pregnancy? Epic
Polio nko? TOTAL! grin

Truly, empty barrels make the most noise.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ektbear: 10:06am On Dec 02, 2011
From that chart, the only major statistic the SW fares poorly with respect to any zone is stunting in children (see image on page 10.)

SW - 31%
SS - 31%
SE - 22%
NC - 44%
NW - 53%
NE -49%
Nigeria - 41%

I am curious to know why there is such a big disparity, and why the SW rate is so much higher than that of the SE.

Aletheia (or any other medical doctors), any comments?

Regarding the HIV testing rates:
SW - 9%
SS -11%
SE -23%
NC - 5%
NW - 2%
NE - 3%

It looks like that zones which have the highest infection rates in Nigeria (SE and SS) also have the highest testing rates.

Conversely, the zones with the lowest HIV infection rates (SW, NW, NE, NC minus Benue) have low testing rates.

Interesting.

Only briefly skimmed through this doc though, there may be more that I missed.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ektbear: 10:10am On Dec 02, 2011
"Mortality rates differ by residence. The under-five
mortality rate for the 10-year period before the survey in
urban areas is 121 deaths per 1,000 live births compared
to 191 in rural areas. Under-five mortality ranges from
89 deaths per 1,000 live births in the South West zone to
222 in the North East zone"

Hrm. Childhood mortality by zone:
SW - 89
SS - 138
SE -153
NC -135
NE - 222
NW - 217
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by ektbear: 10:11am On Dec 02, 2011
For life expectancy, I know that my Ekiti State has the highest life expectancy in Nigeria.

For HIV/AIDs, we have the lowest HIV infection rate in the south. I think there are only two or three states in all of Nigeria with better rates.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by aloyemeka1: 1:36pm On Dec 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

Regarding the HIV testing rates:
SW - 9%
SS -11%
SE -23%
NC - 5%
NW - 2%
NE - 3%

It looks like that zones which have the highest infection rates in Nigeria (SE and SS) also have the highest testing rates.

Conversely, the zones with the lowest HIV infection rates (SW, NW, NE, NC minus Benue) have low testing rates.

Interesting.

Only briefly skimmed through this doc though, there may be more that I missed.
Igbos are largely catholics and they always want to marry in the church which in turn mandates them to submit their HIV status.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-815022.0.html
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by VoodooDoll(m): 1:53pm On Dec 02, 2011
Those stats are truly depressing.  But I haven't seen anywhere in that pdf where the zones are given an aggregated HDI so no evidence to back up a d.y.c.k. measuring contest.

My opinion is that the SW is the least bad (ie the best zone) out of all the regions as per the stats, but in general all the zones in Nigeria could do seriously better.
Re: Human Development Index: Who Is Marginalised? by Ufeolorun(m): 3:29pm On Dec 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

For life expectancy, I know that[b] my Ekiti State has the highest life expectancy in Nigeria.[/b]

Tell the chest-beating ingbekes,njare cheesy cheesy grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Has Sule Lamido Really Achieved In Jigawa State? / Big Shame About LASU / Facts About The National E-id Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.