Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,744 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Minds Like Empty Rooms - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Minds Like Empty Rooms (1410 Views)

Read Books And Interact With Great Minds / TUGRIL- (The Underground Rooms In The Library) / TUGRIL- ( The Underground Rooms In The Library) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minds Like Empty Rooms by Orikinla(m): 8:45pm On Sep 25, 2007
Nelle Harper Lee wrote many long short stories and only one novel, To Kill a Mockingbird and that was enough to make literary history.
The novel won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1961 and with over 30 million copies sold so far. To Kill a Mockingbird was voted "Best Novel of the 20th century" and made the Time List of the best 100 novels since 1923 to date.

"Now, 75 years later in an abundant society where people have laptops, cell phones, iPods and minds like empty rooms, I still plod along with books."
~ Harper Lee
Re: Minds Like Empty Rooms by Rapsody(m): 9:50pm On Sep 25, 2007
That statement could hardly be justified in the light of the present craze 4 information and enlightenement. However,i concede that present day technology hardly encourages the use of our imaginative powers thereby resulting in human dependence on electronically processed information to the detriment of intellectualism and pursuit of knowlegde 4 knowledge's sake!

The phrase: 'mindz like empty roomz'. Ummh, A little abrasive but isnt dat an element of truth?
Re: Minds Like Empty Rooms by Orikinla(m): 8:59pm On Sep 26, 2007
Rapsody:

That statement could hardly be justified in the light of the present craze 4 information and enlightenement. However,i concede that present day technology hardly encourages the use of our imaginative powers thereby resulting in human dependence on electronically processed information to the detriment of intellectualism and pursuit of knowlegde 4 knowledge's sake!

The phrase: 'mindz like empty roomz'. Ummh, A little abrasive but isnt that an element of truth?

Rapsody,
Someone very close to me in Virginia has a PC that even writes as you dictate and provides the most appropriate sentences for lucid prose. You simply tell your story and the PC does the writing and you print and send to your agents or publishers.

The latest PC can produce the work of a genius in days once the operator is smart enough. So, the question of good knowledge of grammar is no longer a hindrance to writing a good book.

Many best selling books in America are clever products of writing software.
Re: Minds Like Empty Rooms by Rapsody(m): 9:43pm On Sep 26, 2007
@orikinla
now,that makes the situation scarier.When did the machine take the place of good old fashioned prose writing? I fear the possibility of aesthetics and art in general becoming soulless products of an electronic machine churned out for mass consumption by a populace who have lost their sense of d truly abstract and genius of man. The day man abdicates his role as sole creator and lets the machine think 4 him,he loses his immortality and becomes truly empty-minded!

(1) (Reply)

Project Topics And The Materials For Students / Looking For A Supernatural Story That Is Complete. / The Day I Will Never Forget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.