Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Windows XP Media Center Edition - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows XP Media Center Edition (1227 Views)

Samsung Mp4 Portable Media Center For Sale / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows XP Media Center Edition by africanboy(m): 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2006
Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition?
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Ynot(m): 6:29pm On Mar 10, 2006
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is only available pre-installed on computers sold by PC manufacturers. You can purchase a PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 pre-installed at retail consumer electronic stores, direct from PC manufacturers, or through online consumer electronics Web sites.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by jogego(m): 7:48pm On Mar 10, 2006
how on earth will he order something online from Bariga? You might as well wait for the new Vista home edition which will come out supposedly by end of the year.

In any case, what do you want to do with M$ Media center that you can't do now?
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Mar 10, 2006
You can order Cds and books from Amazon.com and they'll be delivered to Nigeria. Virtual credit cards are available for that purpose.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by africanboy(m): 8:51pm On Mar 10, 2006
Tired of using XP, only have Ubuntu linux which is boring. thinkN of setting up my PC as a full fledged entertainment center but without the bloat nature of windows pro. Hoping media center edition will be faster. I know it only booms preinstalled on media pcs but someone should have a ripped copy
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Seun(m): 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2006
I don't think there's any PC suitable for use as an entertainment center that will not be able to accomodate Windows XP. You can't use and under-powered PC as an entertainment center!
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by africanboy(m): 12:30am On Mar 11, 2006
I intend using a P4, 60gb HDD, 512MB RAM, but I want it designed for Entertainment only. Not programming, not office work, just entertainment - tv, movies, audio, games - preferably without the lag load of win XP, u just cant spend five minutes or more waiting for xp to load.

also imagine watching Tv using a Start Menu. horribly inconvinient dont u think.

d reason i want the xp media center is so that the system comes on 2minutes max on push of power button and ready to entertain.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Seun(m): 1:07am On Mar 11, 2006
When I hibernate my PC using Xp it takes less than 1 minute to boot up.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by jogego(m): 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2006
Seun:

When I hibernate my PC using Xp it takes less than 1 minute to boot up.

For comparison, when I put my Imac to sleep, it takes less than 10 seconds to come back up. When I run Mepis on my IBM laptop, closing the screen puts it in suspend and as soon as I open it up, its back up, yahoo messenger logs back in, everything is sweet and dandy, in less than 30 seconds.

My Imac is 400MHZ,300+MB RAM; TP 570 is 366 MHZ, 192 MB RAM so this are no superfast machines here.

As Seun said, you can't use an underpowered computer for a media center and 512 MB just does not cut it. If you want to use this machine, I'd suggest sticking with Linux, there are various flavours which are media centric.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Seun(m): 10:48pm On Mar 11, 2006
What I'm just saying is that there's Windows XP can do the job even on an under-powered PC. You can hibernate all the time instead of shutting down if you want your system boot quickly. Media-playing capability is something built into every modern PC.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Fdeveloper(m): 5:02pm On Mar 16, 2006
It could be the case that the reaosn why your machine is slow to boot up is due to a cluttered registry consisting of a significant number of orphan keys which no longer relate to live applications, broken links etc and perhaps you also have a number of applications and/or services being unnecessarily automatically launched at startup.

It might be worth trying to optimize your machine first before considering XP Media Center Edition as frankly I don't believe you will see much improvement if you merely upgrade the existing operting system. I would even go as far as re-formatting your hard disk (after backing up all your data first) and re-installing windows following which I'm sure you will see an improvement in performance.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Ynot(m): 7:44pm On Mar 16, 2006
Read the article about Windows Xp Prefetch feature. It could improve your system performance.
Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition by Hunter(m): 11:16pm On Mar 16, 2006
My brother's iBook takes probably a minute to wake up from hibernation (it's all relative to the amount of memory you have)
I don't bother using sleep on this pc it takes about the same amount of time to turn on or come out of sleep,

All media centre edition is, is a version of windows xp pro with additional software (the media centre, eshell.exe) if you look around the net you may even find it and instructions on how to put it in normal windows xp, cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Choosing A Catchy Easy To Remember Domain Name / Paypal Service In Nigeria / Hp Pavilion Dv6-3050us 640gb Hdd (2months Old) - For Sale 110k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.