Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,978 members, 7,817,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Coming To Terms With My Career Reality - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Coming To Terms With My Career Reality (1010 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma / Pls I'm Confused I Need Advise On My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by LukeLook: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Moderator, @Justwise and nairalanders I am in desperate need of your opinion & assistance. I am in my late 40s. I have a 1st deg in science then trained as desktop repair technician. With this I worked as a 'computer engineer' at a computer firm-repairing desktop computers and doing general maintenance. Later I was to work in 2 offices (NGOs) providing what I would call 'office support' services. I even managed the LAN and managed the microsoft exchange server 2003. I was also the eye of the 2 organizations I worked for in dealing with service providers and IT-Upgrades. I have no certification whatsoever and now with the companies restructuring or winding up am left to look 4 a job. I manage 2 complete my masters degree in IT, but still don't have a clue on the best carrier path. If I manage to get funds, I want a training or certification or mentoring programe that will make a difference. I'll send my cv on request. Please help.
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by chamber2(m): 7:39pm On Dec 03, 2011
From your background, i may suggest you start from CCNA and then progress from there.Also, try and see if you can get into one of the major players in the I.T industry that will give you a boast in your career.
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by yamakuza: 12:40am On Dec 04, 2011
LukeLook:

@Moderator, @Justwise and nairalanders I am in desperate need of your opinion & assistance. I am in my late 40s. I have a 1st deg in science then trained as desktop repair technician. With this I worked as a 'computer engineer' at a computer firm-repairing desktop computers and doing general maintenance. Later I was to work in 2 offices (NGOs) providing what I would call 'office support' services. I even managed the LAN and managed the microsoft exchange server 2003. I was also the eye of the 2 organizations I worked for in dealing with service providers and IT-Upgrades. I have no certification whatsoever and now with the companies restructuring or winding up am left to look 4 a job. I manage 2 complete my masters degree in IT, but still don't have a clue on the best carrier path. If I manage to get funds, I want a training or certification or mentoring programe that will make a difference. I'll send my cv on request. Please help.

Getting an entry level job at 46 to 49 is almost impossible. Even IT/Sales Management positions are capped at 35.

You might want to start your own business or freelance.

With your MSc in IT and 20 years experience, MCITP:Enterprise Administrator seems the most suitable certification, based on your job description.

You can also add ITIL, PMP, and/or Business Analysis.
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by LukeLook: 8:04am On Dec 04, 2011
Thank you very much. I have googled the course on mcitp.
1. @chamber2 how does one get that kind of entrance to a major IT firm from my very limited experience or do you mean after CCNA?
2. @yamakuza, In terms of hands-on experience, any sugestions as to training outfits in nigeria? And I have no major clue as to starting a business. With my present skills I usually wonder what IT biz I can do?
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by chamber2(m): 9:11am On Dec 04, 2011
^^^

I meant after the CCNA. It takes relatively shorter period to get the CCNA than MCITP. Considering that age is no longer on your side and the apparent difficulty in getting entry level job i still recommend you get the CCNA first. CCNA  is cheaper, faster to get and recognised in the industry. No experience is useless, what you need is to garnish your CV and make it catchy to employers. So, you can ultimately leverage on your  little networking experience and kick start your career from there. while taking the CCNA you can freelance for an ISP or collaborate with others to handle major industry projects, even without pay.You can also consider taking project Mgt certifications as recommended by the mod or you may take a PhD and go into academia since you already have an Msc.

Aside connection, the only way to get into the I.T industry is to apply for jobs. Apply to as many jobs as possible.
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by yamakuza: 1:13pm On Dec 04, 2011
The truth is that at your age, we cant really expect you to be crimping cables or climbing masts with 20 year olds.

You should target Team Lead or Supervisor positions, which is where ITIL and PMP come in.

From the little you described about your job, you already have what it takes to pass the 8 exams required for MCITP:EA at N12k5 each = N100k, and you can be through in 4 months if you take 2 exams a month.

You can self study. Theres little Aptech or NIIT want to teach you that you havent learnt in your 20 years.

www.jidaw.com could be of use.

Use the training money for your CBAP, PMP or ITIL.

Lastly, scan through tue/thur Guardian for the jobs you can apply for, and see what skills or certs they ask for.
Re: Coming To Terms With My Career Reality by LukeLook: 9:59pm On Dec 04, 2011
I am grateful for the frank advise. I have many more puzzles because its my livelihood thats involved. But I want to go out and find training outfits and costs based on all I've read on this thread. I will have to get back to you. Thank you both and all.

(1) (Reply)

Is Their Any Good Telecommunication Training School In Nigeria / Letter Of Consent To Study Abroad / 5 Career Questions You Must Always Ask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.