Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia (1623 Views)

Toast Of Buhari, Jacob Zuma & Osinbajo / Why I Fought On The Side Of Ojukwu, Biafra – Lt Fola Oyewole / Is Aba A Reflection Of What Biafra Would Have Been? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Kizilala: 9:06am On Dec 04, 2011
By Taye Obateru & Gabriel Enogholase

TWO-time governor of defunct Bendel State, Dr. Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia, has described the late Ikemba Nnewi, Chief Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, as a “gallant nationalist and freedom fighter” who fought for his rights and for the rights of the overwhelming majority of his Igbo people.

In reminiscence of their days in the Nigeria Army and the events that led to the civil war, Ogbemudia said Ojukwu “was always a visionary, forth-right, courageous, outspoken, nationalist and patriotic”.

According to him,“Ojukwu wanted to see a Nigerian nation where all ethnic nationalities are recognized and fairly treated, not a country of disparate and desperate ethnic groups. He threw all that was left of his physical and mental energy into this enterprise but did not live to see it through”.

He went on in his condolence message, “Although it is a universal saying that you don’t say evil about the dead, in the case of Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, the Ikemba Nnewi, there is truly no evil to talk about his life. Many say he was a rebel. No, he was a gallant nationalist and freedom fighter. He openly disagreed on issues and rather than stomach his dissatisfaction, he fought for his rights and for the rights of the overwhelming majority of his Ibo people who looked up to him.

“Imagine that he succeeded, and Biafra had become a state, going by the feats they achieved at a very difficult time, Biafra would have become the toast of Africa by now. Perhaps many other new states would have been born.

“I was a major and later a brigade major when he was a Lt Col. commanding a battalion at Kano. We were all under the command of Kaduna 1st Brigade. Following the coup of January 15, 1966, he was appointed Military Governor of Eastern Region, David Ejoor for the Midwest, Adeyinka Adebayo for the West and Usman Hassan Katsina for the North. The crisis ensued as the North had good reasons to believe that the coup was targeted against them. Many Ibos in the North were killed in a reprisal manner. Gen Ironsi the Head of State was also killed.

“By 1967, the crisis had worsened and Ojukwu declared Biafra. He invaded the Midwest. Same year i was appointed Military Governor of the Midwest. We fought against Biafra Army and liberated the Midwest. Midwest sacrificed human and material resources to save Nigeria. The Head of State at this time was Gen. Gowon. He appreciated this and remarked that but for Midwest, there would have been no Nigeria.

“That notwithstanding, my admiration for Ojukwu remained high. I contributed all I could to the rehabilitation of the east.

“My friendship with Chief Ojukwu effectively resumed when he returned from exile. I helped with his political reintegration and was sorry that he wasn’t allowed to go to the Senate in 1983. He was always visionary, forth-right, courageous, outspoken, nationalistic and patriotic.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/ojukwu-biafra-would-have-been-the-toast-of-africa-ogbemudia/
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Araysay: 8:26pm On Dec 05, 2011
What do you expect from an ugly Bini man with face like 'Eyo Masquerade'? undecided
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On Dec 05, 2011
You know it would have been the toast of Africa but you fought against it. Doesn't that make you an enemy of progress?
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Beaf: 8:46pm On Dec 05, 2011
afam4eva:

You know it would have been the toast of Africa but you fought against it. Doesn't that make you an enemy of progress?

We need to be real. The Midwest was suddenly invaded and captured without any consultation.
They looked for all the top men to execute them, my own father was almost killed, but he was saved by our driver.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2011
Beaf:

We need to be real. The Midwest was suddenly invaded and captured without any consultation.
They looked for all the top men to execute them, my own father was almost killed, but he was saved by our driver.
invaded by who ? Abeg enlighten us more since you are neither yoruba nor ibo here,so maybe your father's account may be genuine.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Beaf: 8:57pm On Dec 05, 2011
~Bluetooth:

invaded by who ? Abeg enlighten us more since you are neither yoruba nor ibo here,so maybe your father's account may be genuine.

Nah, I don't wish to be part of any ethnic bashing and my fathers account is 100% genuine. We have quite a few family friends whose dads were executed.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 05, 2011
Beaf:

Nah, I don't wish to be part of any ethnic bashing and my fathers account is 100% genuine. We have quite a few family friends whose dads were executed.
But you are neutral and have nothing to lose.if i was the one that made that comment,you know what would have happened by now.still i want you to clear that particular point,nothing will happen.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Chyz2: 9:05pm On Dec 05, 2011
^ Reminds me of when the serpent tried to persuade Adam.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 05, 2011
Atleast you should have waited for him to drop that which you dont want to hear first.no wonder beaf doesnt join the ethnic/civil war thread because he holds a credible account than the ibos here.how i wish he drop this shiit !
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Chyz2: 9:20pm On Dec 05, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Atleast you should have waited for him to drop that which you dont want to hear first.no wonder beaf doesnt join the ethnic/civil war thread because he holds a credible account than the ibos here.how i wish he drop this shiit !

Yorubas, Igbos, whatever.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 05, 2011
Beaf:

Chyz*:

Yorubas, Igbos, whatever.
Seems beaf was actually talking about bifara soldiers that invaded the midwest to kill.my question to chyz and other ibos is, why will ibos want to kill beaf papa ?
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Chyz2: 9:30pm On Dec 05, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Seems beaf was actually talking about bifara soldiers that invaded the midwest to kill.my question to chyz and other ibos is, why will ibos want to kill beaf papa ?

well your the only ibo thats going to answer that question.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2011
Chyz*:

well your the only ibo thats going to answer that question.
I didnt bring the issue,beaf did and it's a big accusation against biafara and also confirmation of what is already on ground.The declaration of biafara was solely by oju-iku,he neither sought the opinion of other eastern minorities nor carry them along instead he invaded their land and killed them but thankGod beaf's dad escaped death.A biafara where ibo would have emerged as the major ethnic would have been disastrous to other minorites.thankGod it failed !
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by udezue(m): 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2011
Ogbemudia is a TRAITOR.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by antartica(m): 10:03pm On Dec 05, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I didnt bring the issue,beaf did and it's a big accusation against biafara and also confirmation of what is already on ground.The declaration of biafara was solely by oju-iku,he neither sought the opinion of other eastern minorities nor carry them along instead he invaded their land and killed them but thankGod beaf's dad escaped death.A biafara where ibo would have emerged as the major ethnic would have been disastrous to other minorites.thankGod it failed !

You are as repulsive as a rotten corpse being eaten away by thousands of maggots.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 05, 2011
udezue:

Ogbemudia is a TRAITOR.
why ? Because he didnt support biafara ?
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2011
~Bluetooth:

why ? Because he didnt support biafara ?

Go ask Victor Banjo, little girl.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by houvest: 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2011
Beaf:

WHO LOOKED FOR ALL THE TOPMEN TO EXECUTE THEM AND WHY? IS THIS A PROVEN FACT OR ONE OF THE PROPAGANDA SPURN TO JUSTIFY THE ASABA, ETC MASSACRES WHERE ALL THE MEN WHERE LINED UP AND SHOT IN THE BACK IN FRONT OF THEIR WIVES AND CHILDREN. IF IT WAS SO WAS IT A BIAFRA POLICY OR THAT OF SOME PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THEY  COULD USE THAT OPPORTUNITY TO GET ONE UP ON THEIR ENEMIES? THESE THINGS NEED TO BE FOUND AND SPOKEN BECAUSE STORIES HAVE A WAY OF DEVELOPING A LIFE OF THEIR OWN. DID BANJO OR OKONKWO REALLY TRY TO ROUND UP MID WESTERN ELITES TO KILL THEM AND IF SO WAS IT ON OJUKWU'S INSTRUCTIONS? HOW WOULD THAT HAVE HELPED BIAFRA? NEED FOR SOME RATIONALITY HERE PLEASE.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by antartica(m): 10:34pm On Dec 05, 2011
The strategy for the invasion of midwest by biafrans was to gain ground and stop nigerian troops on theor tracks from the west,especially when it was made clear that awo had a lot up his sleeves against biafra.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by T8ksy(m): 12:39am On Dec 06, 2011
afam4eva:

You know it would have been the toast of Africa[b] but you fought against it[/b]. Doesn't that make you an enemy of progress?

Fought against what, exactly? Tell me as i have been hearing this phrase for so long but no-one has bothered to

expantiate on what it is exactly, that the yorubas fought against (as far as the proponents of these idea are concerned).

From our perspective, we fought to resist ibos hegemonic ambition in our territory. We didn't give a ph.ock about one nigeria but at the

same time, we weren't about to sit down like a dummy and watch the ibos occupy our territory under the pretext they are seceeding from

the same one nigeria they engineered and waited patiently for.

Once the ibos occupied the mid-west region and we heard what happened there, the yourbas only had one option left and that's, to resist

the same fate happening to them.

In short, we yorubas fought against you ibos to stop you from occupying our ancestral land.

However, you are welcome to perceive our action then as specifically aimed at stopping biafra from becoming the toast of africa.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Onlytruth(m): 1:09am On Dec 06, 2011

Imagine that he succeeded, and Biafra had become a state, going by the feats they achieved at a very difficult time, Biafra would have become the toast of Africa by now. Perhaps many other new states would have been born.

And that is all the truth you know to know folks!
Everything else is embellishment. cool
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by jason123: 1:28am On Dec 06, 2011
antartica:

The strategy for the invasion of midwest by biafrans was to gain ground and stop nigerian troops on theor tracks from the west,especially when it was made clear that awo had a lot up his sleeves against biafra.

Another lie from hell! People are not stupid, you know?

What happened to negotiation? Why couldn't Ojukwu or anyone in charge call the MW and the West for a chat?? Why do it forcefully and brutally?? After the invasion, why try to dominate?? Why did he not call all the Southern groups to talk? Will that not have been better?? Does he know more than others?

Some of you guys are still not being truthful about this. All I see is emotions!
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by bashr8: 1:43am On Dec 06, 2011
jason123:

Another lie from hell! People are not silly, you know?

What happened to negotiation? Why couldn't Ojukwu or anyone in charge call the MW and the West for a chat?? Why do it forcefully and brutally?? After the invasion, why try to dominate?? Why did he not call all the Southern groups to talk? Will that not have been better?? Does he know more than others?

Some of you guys are still not being truthful about this. All I see is emotions!

am sure most of those biafran soldiers are still alive, maybe maybe you should go to your village and other villages in the midwest(edo and delta) and ask then what happened whether banjo or okonkwo directd tham to do such.
Re: Ojukwu: Biafra Would Have Been The Toast Of Africa – Ogbemudia by Obiagu1(m): 2:28am On Dec 06, 2011
Beaf:

You should ask Victor Banjo why.
He was sent on a mission to Lagos rather he stayed put in the Midwest.

(1) (Reply)

If We Must Bring Back Subsidy, It Could Be Done This Way / GEJ Distorted Facts, N Is Slow To Sign Bills That'll Change Nigeria - David Mark / Nigeria Has The Fastest Company Growth In Africa Inspite Of Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.