Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,520 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today (65932 Views)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by egift(m): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2011
The Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU) nation wide will midnight today December 4th embark on indefinite strike.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2011
source please though we doubt
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2011
is this not a lie?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by IYANGBALI: 9:09pm On Dec 04, 2011
abeg make he be a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong one o,school don tire me bo
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Tsiya(m): 9:26pm On Dec 04, 2011
UNIVERSITY lecturers across the country begin an indefinite strike from today.
National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Professor Ukachukwu Awuzie who made this known Sunday in Port Harcourt said this time the strike would be” total and comprehensive”.

According to him, there would be no grading and marking of scripts during the duration of the strike action. He explained that their decision stemmed from what he described the refusal of the federal government to implement the core components of the 2009 FGN/ASUU agreement.

According to him with the failure of federal government to address the issues even when ASUU granted it a two months grace period it had become clear that the government was not willing to honor the agreement.

Describing the decision to embark on the indefinite strike as very painful Prof Awuzie who was flanked by other members of his executive said the union would alien with allied unions in the country to resist the proposed removal of fuel subsidy by the government.

“NEC, having noted that the federal government neglected, ignored, failed and refused to implement the core components of the 2009 FGN/ASUU Agreement after more than two years of its signing, having squandered two months it requested without achieving any progress in the implementation of the agreement, having sacked the Implementation Monitoring Committee that served as the forum for dialogue with ASUU on this dispute, is convinced that the government is terribly insincere and is manifestly unwilling to genuinely implement the agreement it freely entered into with ASSU.

The government has abandoned the main tenet of industrial democracy- that all agreements freely entered into must be honoured.

“Therefore, ASUU resolved, painfully, to direct all members of ASUU in all branches nationwide to proceed on a total, comprehensive and indefinite strike, beginning from the midnight of Sunday, 4th December, 2011.

For the avoidance of doubt, a total, comprehensive and indefinite strike means: no teaching, no examination, no grading of script, no project supervisions, no inaugural lectures, no appointment and promotion meeting, no statutory meetings (Council, Senate, Board etc) or other meetings directed by government or their agents”,

“The World Bank and IMF were decisive in sponsorship and constitution of the Economic Team, which was put in place following the inauguration of Mr President after the April 2011 elections.

“The ruling class has failed. It cannot provide jobs, education, healthcare, affordable transportation, roads and so on. It is incapable of uniting the people; it uses ethnic origin as a political weapon. The ruling class violates the integrity of the judiciary.
The faction in power, with President Jonathan as head, is unable to protect the people from hunger, robbery, murder of innocent citizens and generalised insecurity. Politically, Nigeria is in a precarious position in spite of the 2011 general elections.

“In recent months, federal government has intensified its campaign for devaluation, privatization and petroleum price increase, which the Nigerian labour movement, including ASUU, shall resist”, he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lecturers-cripple-universities-begin-indefinite-strike/
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by cashmentor(m): 9:53pm On Dec 04, 2011
Useless, self centered and greedy ASUU! I won't blame u, after all ur kids skol in Ghana n UK,
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Dec 04, 2011
When are students going to call for ASUU to be scrapped then undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by musiwa43: 10:00pm On Dec 04, 2011
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by muyoto: 10:35pm On Dec 04, 2011
*sigh*
the same ol' story.

ASUU embarks on strike

FG goes into agreement with ASUU,

FG reneges, predictably

ASUU goes on strike. . .   sad
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 10:46pm On Dec 04, 2011
i tot goodluck said he is a former lecturer; what is the meaning of this?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by frankcimc(m): 4:33am On Dec 05, 2011
This ppl no just get shame for face shaaaa. I know you guys are not fighting for the helpless students but for your insatiable pockets. mcheeeew.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Immortal1(m): 4:52am On Dec 05, 2011
Which way Nigeria? shocked
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by MissEZ(f): 4:58am On Dec 05, 2011
I wish there was a way ASUU could sort its issues out with the Government without going on strike. The Government on the other hand should be ashamed of itself. What kind of example is it setting by making agreements that it refuses to honor. See how easy it is for the government to throw money around for irrelevant projects, but when the time comes to invest in education, story begins. It is really sad that it things have degenerated to this point between ASUU and government.

By the way i always think it is funny when people say ASUU is all about their pockets, i hope people realize that lecturers dont get paid while they are on strike. In order words, go on strike for 6 months, and they dont get paid. Me thinks that if they were all about what goes into their pockets, they will not make such a sacrifice especially since they have families to take care of.

My advice to students is to use this time productively, go learn something, like another language or some sort of skill that will be useful in the future. Dont just sit at home, watch tv, go clubbing and waste time.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by MrResource(m): 4:59am On Dec 05, 2011
Okay
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by oraclefemi(m): 5:16am On Dec 05, 2011
Na so 5yrs and counting i never graduate.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by AroOkigbo(m): 5:20am On Dec 05, 2011
You can't scare FG with strike. Let ASUU apply Boko Haram tactics- all agreements (plus extra) will be implemented pronto!!
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by daytona500(m): 5:29am On Dec 05, 2011
No wonder Nigerian Universities certificates are not reckoned with abroad.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by itiswell1(m): 6:00am On Dec 05, 2011
Nigeria is jinx.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 6:02am On Dec 05, 2011
ASUU and Thunder, who strike pass?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by MrResource(m): 6:20am On Dec 05, 2011
Aro Okigbo:

You can't scare FG with strike. Let ASUU apply Boko Haram tactics- all agreements (plus extra) will be implemented pronto!!

Do you mind being the first Guinea Pig undecided
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:22am On Dec 05, 2011
Smh 4 d whole sector, it has gone down the drain
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by hollandis(f): 6:31am On Dec 05, 2011
this useless body called ASUU should be scrapped,i'm so happy every member of my family have graduated don this useless universities.government should implement their agreement but should not give them autonomy.post jamb should be scrapped,useless lecturers that cant compete with their contemporaries abroad,thats why no nigeria university is among 1st ten thousand in world university rankings
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by member479760: 6:38am On Dec 05, 2011
A professor take home $300/month in Ukraine, no sitting allowance, no marking allowance, no housing allowance, no aiding allowance, just $300/month. With this money the Ukrainian profs are contributing tremendously via teaching and R&D to their society and never one day wash their dirty pants in the street.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by klas(m): 6:43am On Dec 05, 2011
ASUU should tell us the details of the agreement that the govt reneged on. The only one hitherto publicised is about extending the retirement of all lecturers to 70 years not just only professors.

If the strike is because this, then it is rascality because the bone of contention is not whether fed govt accept but that national assembly should pass it into law rather than fed govt just issuing a circular to that effect.

If the retirement age of civil servants is 55, why should ASUU strike after being granted extra 15 years. Even below 50 years, what is the productivity of most of them?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by kevoh(m): 6:54am On Dec 05, 2011
it is well:

Nigeria is jinx.

And you are jinxing it the more with your comment. Why not say a blessing for Nigeria anytime you feel this way it will go a long way.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by babalo1: 6:55am On Dec 05, 2011
who cares?:

ASUU and Thunder, who strike pass?
Abeg to kill me with laugh
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by speak2me: 7:02am On Dec 05, 2011
grin
I am not surprised when our Senate was busy jisting about homosexuality while negleting the loominng issues on education

Bunch of dumb asses
angry
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by phuckNL: 7:02am On Dec 05, 2011
Miss EZ:

I wish there was a way ASUU could sort its issues out with the Government without going on strike. The Government on the other hand should be ashamed of itself. What kind of example is it setting by making agreements that it refuses to honor. See how easy it is for the government to throw money around for irrelevant projects, but when the time comes to invest in education, story begins. It is really sad that it things have degenerated to this point between ASUU and government.

By the way i always think it is funny when people say ASUU is all about their pockets, i hope people realize that lecturers dont get paid while they are on strike. In order words, go on strike for 6 months, and they dont get paid. Me thinks that if they were all about what goes into their pockets, they will not make such a sacrifice especially since they have families to take care of.

My advice to students is to use this time productively, go learn something, like another language or some sort of skill that will be useful in the future. Dont just sit at home, watch tv, go clubbing and waste time.

Where did you get that info from? I believe the main reason they refused to start work during OBJ's period was because he tried to initiate the no work no pay rule.
Skul or no skul, these teachers get paid, The only victims are the students. FG and ASUU are bunch of cows
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Reference(m): 7:07am On Dec 05, 2011
With the way things are going I can see the Government withdrawing to just a supervisory role at that level in the future. It just takes the longer term success of private universities. When the number and capacity eventually exceeds that of government owned ones and they become less sectional, bang, government will cut them loose.

ASUU has many valid points but they should put their acts in proper perspective. They should realise that both buyers and sellers have to profit for market to exist.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 05, 2011
Na normal tin,

Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by KDULAR: 7:23am On Dec 05, 2011
Doctors and Lecturers insatiable lots thunder strike them as they begin their strike. Want to be a teacher / lecturer though. I could just remember the pain and disillusion we went through in the 90's in the hands of mindless and incessant strikes from all angles . God help our generation.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Ndkings1(m): 7:30am On Dec 05, 2011
Blame Good lock jonah 4 dis

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

After Finishing Further Maths Exam(photo) / SA Daycare Suddenly Has Tigers Living Next Door, Looking Over The Wall (PIX) / Photo Of A Curvy High School Teacher Got Men Talking On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.