Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,187 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? (10603 Views)

Recovered Vehicle In A Police Station In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Photo Of An Overloaded Vehicle In Plateau State / Bus Carrying Wedding Guests Crashes Into Military Armoured Vehicle In Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by SMEpromote: 12:37pm On Dec 05, 2011
Hello all,

A friend of mine who lives in PH just bought a vehicle from Cotonou through a dealer based in Cotonou. He (my friend) has been redeployed to Lagos by his employer effective next year, so he is relocating to Lagos Mid January and wants the vehicle registered in Lagos with a Lagos number and he wants me to handle the registration for him. The vehicle was duly cleared, so duty and other payments were duly paid before bringing the vehicle in.

Kindly guide me on the process of registering the vehicle. I have been to Oceanic bank for the AutoReg but they said they cannot handle the registration because it is a newly purchased vehicle and has not been registered before, unfortunately the attendant at the bank couldn't direct me on the proper vehicle registration procedure, or the office that handles it.

Thank you in anticipation.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 4:56pm On Dec 05, 2011
SMEpromote:

Hello all,

A friend of mine who lives in PH just bought a vehicle from Cotonou through a dealer based in Cotonou. He (my friend) has been redeployed to Lagos by his employer effective next year, so he is relocating to Lagos Mid January and wants the vehicle registered in Lagos with a Lagos number and he wants me to handle the registration for him. The vehicle was duly cleared, so duty and other payments were duly paid before bringing the vehicle in.

Kindly guide me on the process of registering the vehicle. I have been to Oceanic bank for the AutoReg but they said they cannot handle the registration because it is a newly purchased vehicle and has not been registered before, unfortunately the attendant at the bank couldn't direct me on the proper vehicle registration procedure, or the office that handles it.

Thank you in anticipation.

Get a copy of your friend's driving license,the custom papers and have the engine number written out and go to the nearest Licensing office in Lagos and have the vehicle dully registered.
The cost would varies between N40k - N45k and below are the docs you are to get.

Allocation of plate number form
Plate number Tag
CMR and information required issued by the police
Insurance papers
Road worthiness
Proof of Ownership

Hope that helps.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by SMEpromote: 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2011
femmy2010:

Get a copy of your friend's driving license,the custom papers and have the engine number written out and go to the nearest Licensing office in Lagos and have the vehicle dully registered.
The cost would varies between N40k - N45k and below are the docs you are to get.

Allocation of plate number form
Plate number Tag
CMR and information required issued by the police
Insurance papers
Road worthiness
Proof of Ownership

Hope that helps.

Thank you femmy for the reply, I have followed the steps in your response and it's going on well, but I can't seem to figure out where the Engine number is. I have the Chasis number (The number at the base of the windshield by the drivers side), guess it's called VIN, but I haven't been able to decipher where the engine number is engrossed. The vehicle is a Lexus Jeep 2004 model. Please can you assist further

Thanks.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 3:30pm On Dec 14, 2011
SMEpromote:

Thank you femmy for the reply, I have followed the steps in your response and it's going on well, but I can't seem to figure out where the Engine number is. I have the Chasis number (The number at the base of the windshield by the drivers side), guess it's called VIN, but I haven't been able to decipher where the engine number is engrossed. The vehicle is a Lexus Jeep 2004 model. Please can you assist further

Thanks.

Have your mechanic look it up for you.
It would most likely be a 7 digit number.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by Benez: 9:33am On Dec 15, 2011
Bros, if i had seen ur post earlier i would have asked u to call 08023272331; a licencing officer. Anyway ensure u enter d licence office u r dealing with because touts are plenty in d front of every licencing office.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by amrerobert(m): 9:38pm On Sep 16, 2012
just got for family a toyota minivan used from the usa and i need to know how much it wolud ost me to get it registered with a lagos number plate
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by cretin: 5:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
whats the cost of car registration in nigeria?
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by Simpyro: 10:09am On May 20, 2013
@Femmy2010

Thank you for the information. I am currently registering a new commercial bus, Volkswagen Transporter. However, the agent says the engine number is hidden. So he will fill in only the chassis no. Is this practice permissible? Won't this give security problems later?
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 11:31am On May 20, 2013
Simpyro: @Femmy2010

Thank you for the information. I am currently registering a new commercial bus, Volkswagen Transporter. However, the agent says the engine number is hidden. So he will fill in only the chassis no. Is this practice permissible? Won't this give security problems later?

If I were you I would just fill out any 7 digit number to represent the hidden engine number.
Not having at all means you do have to answer much question whenever police/VIO etc stops the vehicle to checks papers.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by bravolad(m): 11:59am On May 20, 2013
femmy2010:

If I were you I would just fill out any 7 digit number to represent the hidden engine number.
Not having at all means you do have to answer much question whenever police/VIO etc stops the vehicle to checks papers.

That would be absolutely unnecessary and unwarranted. You will also be giving a wrong information about the vehicle in particular. Every vehicle has an engine number. However, where your vehicle engine number is hidden, the best way to register such a vehicle is to leave the engine number nil. I once registered a Toyota Camry 2001 model without the engine number and used the car for three (3) years. I never had a problem with the police. I am also a regular traveler to the east and we know how notorious the road from Abuja to the east or vice versa is. No police officer would disturb you because you can't trace the engine number. But you will have a greater problem if it is discovered at any point that you have a wrong engine number. Getting the engine number of some vehicles will require you to bring the entire engine down.

You can also confirm from people who use Toyota Camry 2001 model, majority of them do not register their cars with the engine number. My point therefore, is that you leave the engine number as nil. Even the VIO or road safety officer that would handle the registration for you will advise you to leave it blank.

I hope this helps.

Please, do not just fill any number as your engine no.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by femmy2010(m): 12:37pm On May 20, 2013
bravolad:

That would be absolutely unnecessary and unwarranted. You will also be giving a wrong information about the vehicle in particular. Every vehicle has an engine number. However, where your vehicle engine number is hidden, the best way to register such a vehicle is to leave the engine number nil. I once registered a Toyota Camry 2001 model without the engine number and used the car for three (3) years. I never had a problem with the police. I am also a regular traveler to the east and we know how notorious the road from Abuja to the east or vice versa is. No police officer would disturb you because you can't trace the engine number. But you will have a greater problem if it is discovered at any point that you have a wrong engine number. Getting the engine number of some vehicles will require you to bring the entire engine down.

You can also confirm from people who use Toyota Camry 2001 model, majority of them do not register their cars with the engine number. My point therefore, is that you leave the engine number as nil. Even the VIO or road safety officer that would handle the registration for you will advise you to leave it blank.

I hope this helps.

You are very right with all you have said but NOTE that the poster is registrating a Commercial Bus and I see the stress VIO etc puts them through on a daily basis.
Pretty sure most engines must have an engine number if his doesn't have then putting NIL as advice might be the right thing to do.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by Nobody: 12:07am On May 21, 2013
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by kunle75(m): 2:15pm On May 21, 2013
amrerobert: just got for family a toyota minivan used from the usa and i need to know how much it wolud ost me to get it registered with a lagos number plate

i just registered mine,its actually a sienna mini van and everything cost me 35k,i paid on wednesday and got it on friday last week and so by saturday my car is on the road,its that easy just be sure u are dealing with rigth person.

Thanks
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by disc20: 5:58am On Aug 10, 2013
The procedure is easy, read the step-by-step guide @ www.fertilenigeria..com. Helping you do the right thing @ the right time in an easy way
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by thaqib(m): 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2013
bravolad:

I hope this helps.

I have been looking for this post since. I nearly cause katakata for my engine looking for engine no. Its a 2000 camry. After looking at all d places car guru advised, I saw d same vin number there!

Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by alstacs(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2013
I don't have a new drivers licence, can I still register a new vehicle in Lagos or Abuja. Since they say the new plates will be linked to the owner now.
Re: What Is The Process Of Registering A Newly Purchased Vehicle In Lagos? by chapatti: 7:20am On Jun 12, 2015
If this is what it will take for me to register my vehicle, then i don't have a problem. thanks anyway for the this info. http://nigerianeducation.com.ng/how-to-register-vehicle-in-nigeria-and-obtain-a-plate-number/

(1) (Reply)

Abs Always Shows On My Dashboard. Why? / Old Number Plates Invalid By Sept. 30, 2013 -FRSC / 4 Effective Fuel Management Tips During Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.