Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa (2009 Views)

The Largest Cities In Nigeria Ranked By Population / Nigeria Ranked The 20th Saddest Nation on Earth / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by adconline(m): 5:59am On Sep 27, 2007
http://allafrica.com/sustainable/resources/00011372.html

http://www.moibrahimfoundation.org/
New Survey Picks Continent's Best, Worst-Governed Nations

allAfrica.com

NEWS
25 September 2007
Posted to the web 25 September 2007

By John Allen
Cape Town

Mauritius is sub-Saharan Africa's best-governed, and Somalia its worst-governed country. Seychelles, Botswana, Cape Verde and South Africa are also in the top five best-governed countries, while the bottom five also include the Democratic Republic of Congo, Chad, Sudan and Guinea-Bissau.

These are among the findings of a new survey, published simultaneously in London and Cape Town today, which says it is the world's most comprehensive ranking of African governance. The survey is based on 2005 statistics.

The survey, unveiled by the African telecommunications pioneer Mo Ibrahim and Professor Robert Rotberg of Harvard University, was developed under the direction of the university's Kennedy School of Government with the help of an advisory council of African academics.

The survey, which is called the "Ibrahim Index of African Governance", measures the quality of governance in sub-Saharan Africa's 48 states by five criteria: safety and security; rule of law, transparency and corruption; participation and human rights; sustainable economic opportunity; and human development.

It shows that some of Africa's most powerful and well-known countries are not as well governed as some of its minnows, economically speaking. Nigeria is ranked at 37th place among the continent's 48 nations, only two places ahead of Sierra Leone at 39th place.

Kenya is at 15th place, below Lesotho (11), Malawi (12) and Tanzania (14). Ghana ranks at 8, Senegal at 9, Rwanda at 18, Mozambique at 23 and Uganda in 25th place. Zimbabwe is at 31st place.

When measured against the criteria chosen for the survey, there are some surprises. Gabon has the best "safety and security," while Sudan has the worst, and South Africa, near the top of the list in other respects, is the third most dangerous country in the continent, safer only than Sudan and Burundi, and a little less safe than Nigeria.

Botswana is ranked top for the rule of law, transparency and lack of corruption, Mauritius for participation and human rights, and the Seychelles for sustainable economic opportunity and human development. Sudan is at the bottom of the list for all these categories except human development, where Chad holds bottom place.

The index also assesses the progress which nations make, and it has used historical figures to draw up rankings for 2000 and 2002.

These show that the countries which have shown the greatest improvements in governance between 2000 and 2005 are Angola, Rwanda, Eritrea, Burundi and Sierra Leone. The country which deteriorated most was Guinea-Bissau. The performance of Namibia, Cote d'Ivoire, the Central African Republic, Benin and Madagascar also declined over the period.

READ THE FULL RANKINGS: Briefing note of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 7:46am On Sep 27, 2007
emrm

Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 7:53am On Sep 27, 2007
I dont agree wh S.A being 5th. They dont deserve to be up there
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 27, 2007
were you expecting Nigeria to ranked (1st)?
Nigeria's have to jubilate for ranking 37th,
Don't you know that Nigeria and Somalia are the worst country in Africa.
Kei!! chei!!!haba!!!ewo!!!!, FULANI/HAUSA/YORUBA Una don see dey condition wey una put this country into? kei!.
Fulani/Hausa una don see wetin una bring for Nigerians.
Because of you people, Nigerians are now living like medieval people, earlymen.
Please Hausa/Fulani, make una tell me when this Una WAHALA go end? Kei!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Militiana: 9:26am On Sep 27, 2007
willywilly:

Kei!! chei!!!haba!!!ewo!!!!, FULANI/HAUSA/YORUBA Una don see dey condition wey una put this country into? kei!.

he he he he he he he he he he! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin Laff wan kill me oh!

WOW!!!!! So impressed we even have a rank. More impressed that we are co ranked with Somalia!!!!! N'kosi Keli Africa---God bless Africa!!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Joey82(m): 9:38am On Sep 27, 2007
@willywilly
People like u are so tribalised, if Nigeria is bad today, it all stems from our collective lack of responsibility. Infact u are the reason why naija is ranked that far. Let us not zone the blames to a particular region. Besides, where were u and ur people when d fulani/hausa/yorubas were spoiling d country? why didn't u rise up to the challenge of bringing them to order.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 27, 2007
ok, Ask DELE GIWA why the same people killed him?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Joey82(m): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2007
Dele Giwa is dead and u cant question a dead man. Have u ever imagined what it would have been if at least 10 people rose to the challenge just the way he did? Dont u think they would have been tired of killing at some point.

Problem is always that every body wants a golden future but the struggle is left 4 a few.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by maddock(m): 11:45am On Sep 27, 2007
Every man wan go heaven and no man wan dead (apology to screwface of marked for death)
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2007
Joey82:

@willywilly
People like u are so tribalised, if Nigeria is bad today, it all stems from our collective lack of responsibility. Infact u are the reason why naija is ranked that far. Let us not zone the blames to a particular region. Besides, where were u and your people when d fulani/hausa/yorubas were spoiling d country? why didn't u rise up to the challenge of bringing them to order.

thank u o!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Jen33(m): 6:00am On Sep 28, 2007
Botswana is ranked top for the rule of law, transparency and lack of corruption

And what separates Botswana from the other African states is what?

They practice their traditional form of representative government.

This is exactly what Fela wanted us to do in Nigeria, and elsewhere in Africa - in his words, to 'allow our culture to guide in the running of the government'.

But no. We're still looking to western systems of governance as the standard to follow - US Presidential System, Westminster Parliamentary System etc, and the results are clear to see!

Well done Botswana.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 28, 2007
Joey82:

@willfully
People like u are so tribalised, if Nigeria is bad today, it all stems from our collective lack of responsibility. Infact u are the reason why NCAA is ranked that far. Let us not zone the blames to a particular region. Besides, where were u and your people when d Fulani/Hausa/Yoruba's were spoiling d country? why didn't u rise up to the challenge of bringing them to order.
this tribalised whey you sey i be too small, you for call me dey thing wey pass that one.
See this 37th ranking of Nigeria. shows the ranking of Fulani/Hausa/Yoruba standard.Even SOMALIA would have been better than this three tribes if not they (JAWS,IBO'S,OGONIS,EFIKS,etc) who are helping to revive the economy.
So you never hear sey another COCKROACH brain(finance minister)want to go and borrow again?, after IBO people(IWALA) have helped to cancelled the former debt.
See, this people no mean good for this country, only what they knows are borrow and embezzle.
Now SOLUDO is warning that deaf COCKROACH.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 10:22pm On Oct 13, 2007
this must be a silly willy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mariory(m): 12:25am On Oct 14, 2007
Don't take willypeepee serious. He has a small pecker and has to make up for that in other ways.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by egoldman(m): 12:06pm On Oct 14, 2007
willywilly:

completely senseless and extremely stupid , by the way am an igbo guy .
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by iykrion(m): 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2007
Nigeria for 37th position? How many better countries come remain for Africa? With all our natural and human resources? Isn't it a shame? Nigeria is the Giant of Africa abi? Abeg make una no let Davidylan see this one o! cheesy grin cheesy

Nigeria! Where are you heading to? Dear Nigeria, I weep for you. People will still tell me that we are ahead of C.A.R., DRC etc, what nonsense! angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 14, 2007
@egoldman,
If in reality your IBO which i "doubt" you are, because you look more Kogi or Tiv. then count yourself as one of the EFULEFU.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by denex: 12:49pm On Oct 14, 2007
It is these kinds of statistics and indices that can raise a dead body from the grave.

So professionals and analysts from the UK and South Africa are saying that Zimbabwe is better governed than Nigeria?

So why do they keep complaining about Mugabe and his system of government? They are mad.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by almondjoy(f): 2:20pm On Oct 14, 2007
willywilly:

@egoldman,
If in reality your IBO which i "doubt" you are, because you look more Kogi or Tiv. then count yourself as one of the EFULEFU.

Don't try the guy oh! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin Chai!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Oct 14, 2007
denex:

It is these kinds of statistics and indices that can raise a dead body from the grave.

So professionals and analysts from the UK and South Africa are saying that Zimbabwe is better governed than Nigeria?

So why do they keep complaining about Mugabe and his system of government? They are mad.

uummm,  I doubt UK and South Africa would come up with those numbers considering that Zimbabwe is being banned from attending summits in the EU and Nigeria is not and the fact that South Africa is dealing with issues as a result of poor government in Zimbabwe. I don't believe UK and SOuth Africa for one came up with such. I believe one should investigate the REAL source of the claims first.

Can we please stop with the Nigeria is Giant of Africa Rant ? I mean, let us face is, we may be the most populous country in Africa, that don't make us the giant of africa cause compared to many other countries, Nigeria ain't doing so well and case and point, Nigeria's own next door neighbour, Cameroon. You hardly hear peep out of those people. I have met a couple of cameroonians and they do not seem to have as many issues as we do.    I think it is funny that on that chart up there, Nigeria's own next door neighbours seem to be doing so well but we are way down the list from them.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Orikinla(m): 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2007
Nigeria is made up of Nigerians.
Nigeria is bad, because majority of Nigerians are bad.
From those miserable ones hawking fake "pure water" on the streets to those misappropriating public funds in the corridors of power.
From those engaging in examination-malpractices on campuses to their criminal benefactors looting public funds.

Most of the poor among Nigerians go cap in hand to beg and solicit for the favours of the corrupt rulers, office holders and corrupt government contractors, they are hypocritically calling corrupt.

All the full time and part time prostitutes who flock to Lagos and Abuja, to patronize the same looters of public funds and even cajole them to honour their invitations to various occasions to launch books, magazines, and other events. Then, they come online to hide behind their fake IDs to post hypocritical comments to whine over the deplorable corrupt practices of their "uncles", "sugar daddies" and "boyfriends".

Who is fooling whom?

Many members of Nairaland have been making overtures to the same corrupt ex-governors, and other criminals in public and private office and they come online to shouting wolf.

I despise hypocrites.

I am going to publish a big book soon on the hypocritical beneficiaries of the looters who have made Nigeria the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

Evil, wicked, greedy, cheats, exploiters, liars, debtors, hypocrites, parasites, prostitutes and similar characters living on crimes and sins.

All the so-called corrupt Nigerian rulers blacklisted by the EFCC, have families, relations, cronies and other beneficiaries who shared in their ill-gotten riches.

The new generation banks in Nigeria have been built by the loot of the ex-governors and ex-presidents and other public officers who stole millions and billions of public funds and put them in banks and other ventures and the majority of Nigerians are beneficiaries of these crooks and rogues.

Only those who have not received favours directly or indirectly from the looters of Nigeria should cry wolf online or offline.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Oct 14, 2007
Orikinla:

Nigeria is made up of Nigerians.
Nigeria is bad, because majority of Nigerians are bad.
From those miserable ones hawking fake "pure water" on the streets to those misappropriating public funds in the corridors of power.
From those engaging in examination-malpractices on campuses to their criminal benefactors looting public funds.

Most of the poor among Nigerians go cap in hand to beg and solicit for the favours of the corrupt rulers, office holders and corrupt government contractors, they are hypocritically calling corrupt.

All the full time and part time prostitutes who flock to Lagos and Abuja, to patronize the same looters of public funds and even cajole them to honour their invitations to various occasions to launch books, magazines, and other events. Then, they come online to hide behind their fake IDs to post hypocritical comments to whine over the deplorable corrupt practices of their "uncles", "sugar daddies" and "boyfriends".

Who is fooling whom?

Many members of Nairaland have been making overtures to the same corrupt ex-governors, and other criminals in public and private office and they come online to shouting wolf.

I despise hypocrites.

I am going to publish a big book soon on the hypocritical beneficiaries of the looters who have made Nigeria the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

, and inturn benefit ( Make money) from the works of those you call hypocrites grin OH LORD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL, grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Iman3(m): 5:17pm On Oct 14, 2007
At least we are better than 18 nations on the continent.As OBJ reminded us,we are not as bad as Congo
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by iykrion(m): 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

, and inturn benefit ( Make money) from the works of those you call hypocrites grin OH LORD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL, grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

grin grin grin
Honestly, I've tried without success to grasp what Orikinla is actually conveying. Is he saying that his book will only be bought by the non-corrupt Nigerians, or will the books be give out to people FOC

@Orikinla,
Pls purge yourself of the hypocrisy which your post has glaringly showcased already. Until you give us evidence, I request you stop calling Nairaland members names. Pls learn public decorum.
Thank you.

I-man:

At least we are better than 18 nations on the continent.As OBJ reminded us,we are not as bad as Congo

No be small thing o! grin grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by presido1: 6:08pm On Oct 14, 2007
Nigeria I hail thee.
I tire for all of una. we even get position sef.
From what danex wrote if Zimba is above us(NIGERIA) then somethin is smellin somewhere.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2007
why una dey complain? Didnt some people tell us a sweet wind of change was blowing in Nigeria? Why are we crying now that the sweet wind has blown us to 37th in Africa?
It was on this same board some argued that Nigeria was safer than the UK. . . abeg make i hear word o jare!

Orikinla:

You are forever publishing "big" books, when are we going to read one of them? Of course "launched" by the hypocrites you intend to lampoon in the book.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 10:40pm On Oct 14, 2007
why must the same white men that spoilt out traditional sysytem of governance (for their slave trade benefits) be the same peeps to tell us what QUALITY GOVERANCE IS?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by dom1500(m): 11:54am On Oct 15, 2007
How can Nigeria rank below Zimbabwe.
With the droughts, inflation, hiv etc
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 11:15pm On Oct 15, 2007
don't mind em jo
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 16, 2007
dom1500:

How can Nigeria rank below Zimbabwe.
With the droughts, inflation, hiv etc
Come back home, please don't stay only in the Nigeria smelling cities, try and visit some villages you will see the truth about your doom nation, how millions of your country men are living more worst than the (drought,inflation and Hiv) in Zimbabwe.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by denex: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2007
There is a slowpoke on this thread that is trying to convince people of the veracity of this Havard research that Zimbabwe is better governed than Nigeria.

One may want to realise that a lot of Nigerians that were lecturing in Zimbabwe have now run back to Nigeria, and a lot of white farmers previously in Zimbabwe have now run down to Nigeria too.

Is that not defying the laws of Nature? For people to be fleeing a better governed nation to a less governed one.

Perhaps, with this their statistics in comparison to the actual occurrence on ground, people will soon be fleeing Europe en masse to Myanmar.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 37th In Africa by Mustay(m): 10:58pm On Oct 16, 2007
Is that not defying the laws of Nature? For people to be fleeing a better governed nation to a less governed one.

grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Corruption:yar'adua And Kenny Martins In Pictures / How Ohakim Loots Imo State / Sacked Pdp Executive Protests In Ogun !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.