Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Is Nigeria A Rich Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Rich Country? (3861 Views)

Nigeria Is Not A Rich Country - Buhari (Vanguard) / Why Do Nigerians Think That Nigeria Is A Rich Country? / For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by larriederm(m): 9:05am On Sep 27, 2007
WE MAKE A MISTAKE THAT NIGERIA IS A RICH COUNTRY. NIGERIA IS A RICHLY ENDOWED COUNTRY BUT IT IS NOT A RICH COUNTRY!
WE DO NEED A LOT MORE RESOURCES TO COME INTO THIS ECONOMY,
WHAT DO HOUSE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS?
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by folem: 10:51am On Sep 27, 2007
Nigeria is a very poor country with a wrong notion of being very rich.

Nigeria's population makes its oil earnings look like a pittance.
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by tonia2000(f): 11:19am On Sep 27, 2007
Nigeria is a very Rich country talk of Natural Resources,but also rich with very Fraudulent and selfish political leaders who wl not make the resources beneficial to the economy. shocked
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by Topsido(m): 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2007
Our population makes our economy sick!
Without sounding insultive and with my humble appologies i'd say 99.99 percent Nigerian poppulation are unproductive
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Sep 27, 2007
Topsido:

Our population makes our economy sick!
Without sounding insultive and with my humble appologies i'd say 99.99 percent Nigerian poppulation are unproductive

You mean with the 60 Million illiterate Nigerians you forgot to educated and teach skills to do the work needed to be productive and hence help your country be Rich in all wise, are included

ROMBL

Kobojunkie
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by Sijien(m): 2:54pm On Sep 28, 2007
define rich
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by vigasimple(m): 7:43pm On Sep 29, 2007
I think there is a lot of truth in what all the posters have said.

We have very bad leadership to tap wisely into our natural and human resources which would have made us a rich country.

Unfortunately the Leadership are representative of the followership which I must say are propably worse than the leaders.

What we need are set of leaders with grit and determination. Believe it or not we may need to have a 'small' revolution.

Our lifestyle and leaders make us very unproductive. There are very little incentive for harwork and honesty, integrity.

Let me give you a small example how daft and stupid our country and leaders are. I heared on the news yesterday that by flaring our gas we are losing $1billion dollars per day. If am right in my arithmetics that will be $365 Billion dollars per year. Let assume it is working days, that will be $240 billion per annum. assuming we say this has been going on for the last 8 years , that will amount to about $2 Trillion dollars.

Now tell me what we can do with $2 Trilion dollars- build almost the entire country or even it will amount to about $15 dollars each if we hand it over to 140Millions Nigerians but we all know that using it to build the country will be more rewarding.

Common sense does not tell our leaders to ask some companies be it in US, Russia or Chinesse to build it for us and get paid part of the income, instead we are just wasting it away.

If we Nigerais collectively can stop fooling ourselves and think that we are rich when our leaders are stealing and fooling us we better rethink.

God bless all of the contributors here, I am really proud of you including the poster for letting everyone us start to reason truthfully and honestly.

Nigeria should have been a rich country but sadly with the combination of leadership, follwership and tribalism etc we are a very poor nation indeed. Infact worse than country without human and natural resources because they will at least get sympathy and AIDS from the world community.

May the Good Lord do something stupid to confound 'those wise idiot' called leaders and touch the heart of all the citizens to change to good.
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by Iman3(m): 10:48pm On Sep 30, 2007
vigasimple:

Let me give you a small example how daft and stupid our country and leaders are. I heared on the news yesterday that by flaring our gas we are losing $1billion dollars per day. If am right in my arithmetics that will be $365 Billion dollars per year. Let assume it is working days, that will be $240 billion per annum. assuming we say this has been going on for the last 8 years , that will amount to about $2 Trillion dollars.

You obviously heard wrong.Either the news report was wrong or you misheard what was said.The gas we flare is not worth anything near $1billion per day.

Nigeria is not a rich country.One can say we have the potential to be rich but we are not yet rich.If you work out the Govt receipts from oil and divide it by the number of our population,you will see that we are actually poor
Re: Is Nigeria A Rich Country? by Nobody: 12:44am On Oct 01, 2007
vigasimple:

Now tell me what we can do with $2 Trilion dollars- build almost the entire country or even it will amount to about $15 dollars each if we hand it over to 140Millions Nigerians but we all know that using it to build the country will be more rewarding.

@ vigasimple

how can gas flared be worth $1 billion per day. Aren't you part of the Nigerian problem with your lack of due diligence and carelessness with facts.

(1) (Reply)

‘how I Spend My Bribe Money’—gov Obi / Ajimobi Bans NURTW Activities In Oyo State / Bola Tinubu is THISDAY’s Man Of The Year!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.