Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,556 members, 7,865,316 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:31 PM

Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ (4237 Views)

Lagos Plans IPP For State Tertiary Institutions / Nyako Vows To Sue Jonathan Over Funding For State Of Emergency / ANPP Declares Support For State Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by Dele99: 8:01pm On Dec 07, 2011
Being anti-PDP does not necessarily mean anti- Nigeria, do we just criticize without thinking? If GEJ had supported the Formation of state Police over 90% of those in support of the state police will come against it. Disliking GEJ Should not make us hate our country as well.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by frog12: 8:20pm On Dec 07, 2011
MannyLa,
I will correct one notion of mine: the 3 major languages are National, while English is official, I still consider those 3 official languages, as they are spoken more of, in official capacities as well. I think many State assemblies are dabbling in their indigenous languages now, or think of the notion.

However, my standing on multiculturalism/single culturalism doesn't change.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by mrmayor(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2011
I'm Anti PDP, I voted for GEJ out of sentiment. GEJ is right on this one. I will use Rivers State as an example of how State Police could be abused.

In October 2007 Mr Celestine Omeha was governor of Rivers State after K-Leg elections, till he was kicked out of office by the Supreme Court and the Police (Federal) were instructed to provide Security for Rotimi Amaechi to be installed as governor. Just imagine for once, if Omeha refused to vacate Brick House because he has the backing of Rivers State Police, do you send in the Army and Navy to install Amaechi?

Imagine Alao Akala with State Police with Thug Marshall Adedebu as State Security Adviser (SSA)

EFCC couldn't arrest Ibori because some hooligans prevented it, imagine Delta State Police under Ibori/Uduaghan! You will need Delta Force to arrest him
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by PointB: 9:42pm On Dec 07, 2011
Indeed Nigeria is not ripe for state police. Don't know when we will get there. But ultimately state police is desirable.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by LEXYLOV: 11:33pm On Dec 07, 2011
9ja needs China style of security system.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by Kilode1: 11:38pm On Dec 07, 2011
OK. Noted.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by danjohn: 1:25am On Dec 08, 2011
I dislike President Jonathan so much and I wish he did not win the election.  Nonetheless, I support his position on this issue.  Although I do not believe in state police, I believe that the following options need to be debated objectively:

1.  We can alter the chain of command so that the commissioner of police for each state reports to the Governor - Inspector General - President (with the President being at the top of the chain).  Orders from the Inspector General should most likely be orders approved by the President.  This will enable Governors to participate in the process of drafting plans to improve security.  It will give governors more responsibility for the security of their states.

2.  Laws can be created that can allow the governor of a state to be able to recommend the removal of a commissioner of police.  Such a recommendation would require approval from the President or the IG before it is acted upon.  This is important so that the governor is not a toothless manager.  Notwithstanding, the ultimate decision should come from the President.

3.  We can also enact laws that will restrict the police from using equipments purchased by a state government in another state.  This will be an incentive for states to invest in security equipments in their state.

These are compromises that we can make to give governors the ability to provide security to their constituents.

Nigeria is not ready to have 36 completely independent state police departments.  In a mature political environment that is the ideal scenario. Unfortunately, 36 independent police departments can easily be abused by some governors.
Re: Nigeria Is Not Ready For State Police - GEJ by Kilode1: 7:01pm On Dec 08, 2011
^
I disagree with your conclusion. Most of the points and ideas you raised can be addressed today and inplemented within the environment of State or community/city/Local Govt police.

36 completely independent police service is more desirable than this one man show we have. Even under the sorry circumstance we are currently in.

Whichever one you pick, the point is that we cannot have a just, fair and effective police system within this current arrangement where the power to hire, fire, control, fund and deploy policemen resides with the FG and the president.

I see the die-hard proponents of Gradualism all over this thread. They believe we are not ready for many things: SNC, State Police, independent regions, true federalism. To them it's always one step forward then stay put and rot.

What we can never sustain on the long run is this system of injustice we currently manage like a delicate egg. One day it will drop and break then we will all be ready for anything.

"This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy".  –Martin Luther King Jr.'s (I Have a Dream speech)

. . .Or the "real promises" of true federalism. Our people have always been ready. The shortsighted few in power are the problem.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Bode George, Agagu Join ACN? / The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland / MUST READ! Senator David Mark, Ekweremadu All In Fresh Financial Scandal Worth B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.