Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,101 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala (9811 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Petrol May Cost N120 / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Petrol May Cost 195 Naira Per Litre (From 65 Naira) - NLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by zinosleek(m): 3:23pm On Dec 07, 2011
Apart from subsidy, what has d govt done for Nigeria. We don't have free education at any level, no good health care, bad road,epileptic power supply and now they want us to pay for governance.
For me, before subsidy can come to stay they should reduce the pay of political office holders,they should be strict punishment for corrupt office holders and states should be decentralized from federal govt.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by ideylaff: 3:25pm On Dec 07, 2011
Why is it that whenever the govt wants to decieve her citizens they will be promising urban mass transport? Govt officials have move from stilling millions of naira to billions. Have we caught any thief? (NO).

Hmmmm, Okonjo will burn with the rest of them very soon with all her messages of doom,
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by ideylaff: 3:34pm On Dec 07, 2011
The overhead these bastards spends in terms of allowances,estacodes,salaries,bonuses etc can if cut to half could support any infrastructures they are singing about to build.NIGERIA is in the hands of the CORRUPT and as such A FAILED STATE.

WORD,  just go to ABJ or see any Politician with an office and watch their drivers leave the engines running while they are at meetings because Oga must not come back to the car and the car is hot,  AC has to be on,

These are the sort of things they do, ehn , and then want to inflict pain on the poor man

The ripple effect of high price of fuel is just too hard 4 d common man to bear right now,

Let Okonjo cut her 7 aides to 1, cut her cars to 1 or 2 and den we can start to save the so called money
if not na fire then dey take play oooo ,
angry angry angry
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by trw: 3:46pm On Dec 07, 2011
Nigeria is a land flowing with milk and honey
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by forbidden5(m): 3:46pm On Dec 07, 2011
Point B,

Are you an independent marketer of just a beneficiary of subsidy removal. Your points absolutely are from a selfish point of view- you obviously see some personal gain against that of the citizens.

FUEL SUBSIDY is a big fraud and would be a blatant lie if they say the poor are not beneficiaries. Even the poor ones buy the fuel for their "I pass my neighbour" still to cover for poor governance. Who drives the Keke-Napep? Is it the middle class and the rich? Its still the same poor people that buy this product at the deregulated price.

If the government could not manage the resources from oil sales and other revenue, then they will never be able to manage the resources from deregulation.

They want to keep us dependent on oil imports and enrich themselves from the profit. They are all bastards!!!! I never knew that Okonjo Iweala would so easily buy into this game. This begins to sound like condoleza rice who actually was a white instrument to take out privileges away from the coloured people in the US.

Please Deregulation will sink us simply because we have a dysfunctial leadership - the have no vision and direction at all. All the points okonjo raised there did not make any sense at all as I have been listening to all that crap before.

NIGERIANS LET US UNITE AND SAVE OURSELVES FROM THIS EVIL.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by zangality(m): 3:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
It's high time we started thinking of the arab way out of this mess.Enough is enough,very soon our goat will pursue their loin, sad angry
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by kayalcomp: 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2011
our promised breath of fresh air may become HOT when:
for example me i stay in abuja

1. mudu of gaari now N100, goes for N250
2. mudu of rice goes for N500
3. transport triples in price
4. pure water now N10 becomes N30
5. house rent increases.
5. everything becomes expensive

All in the name of subsidy removal. and my poor boss no gree increase my salary.

Our dear GEJ, pls think of the poor masses, hear their voices, feel their cry, before you implement this, not that of those few politicians surrounding you. Some of them they dont know what the massess are feeling. Dont add to our sorrow.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by AZeD1(m): 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2011
The level of ignorance among Nigerians is alarming, GEJ and his prime minister are trying to cover up for their incompetence by saying the cabal are the one benefitting from subsidy.

Mr X imports garri to Nigeria for N100(including his profit) and government says he should sell the garri for N50 while the government pays him his balance of N50
how does that translate to Mr X fleecing the country? Mr X sees a business oportunity from the failings of the government and acts on it.

GEJ and his cohorts tell us the "cabal"are the one sabotaging the refineries but they never tell us how,
The Government are the ones who award contract for repairing/building of Refineries/Power stations and not the so called cabal,
If the government pays for a job not done how is that the cabals fault?

The governments lack of transparency is the real enemy of nigeria,
when i go to the market to buy yam, if i dont like what the sellers brings, i dont pay so also if GEJ awards a contract and the contractor does a shady job he should not pay!!!
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by klas(m): 4:27pm On Dec 07, 2011
[b]Why are people still peddling nonsensical and puerile argument of refinery not being profitable in Nigeria except subsidy is removed. How does subsidy affect refinery at all talkless of its profitability? The current imported fuel, are they not being refined somewhere? Are those refineries not making profit on fuel sold to Nigeria or are they red-cross?

Refineries recover their full cost and profit in the current situation of subsidised fuel. It does not matter whether public and government share the payment of the pump price. Subsidy is not the reason why refineries are not established or profitable in nigeria.

Regarding the saving of N1.3 trillion expected from subisdy removal. Nigerians will not see any positive impact or any infrastructure development. The federal govt share of the expected savings will be like N0.5 trillion, the rest goes to states and local govts. The 2011 capital budget is about N1.2 trillion. Tell me what  improvement you have noticed in infrastructure that extra half of that will now be expected to take us to eldorado.
[/b]
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by hentech911: 4:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
Nigerians are considered as fools, what ever the Govt says we accept.
if really we have leaders that care for the masses, fuel subsidy would have been the last thing to talk about after the restoration of refineries.  
Revolution may erupt at the end of the day.
We are not convinced of the removal of subsidy.
House rent will double it price, virtually everything will be more expensive.
NOT UNTILL NIGERIANS LEARN TO SERVE GOD AND WASH OFF THERE HANDS FROM  IDOLS ALL IN THE NAME OF TRADITION, THINGS WILL NEVER GET WELL.

Niger has built refinery close to Nigeria border.

I foresee a time when Nigeria will be fed by other African countries.  

The Devil is at work to crumble this blessed nation. The careless rulers are his tools.
God Help Nigeria!!!
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by dayokanu(m): 4:57pm On Dec 07, 2011
Fresh airrr
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Okijajuju1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
The Freshest!!

Take away the darn subsidy jor!!

Its not as if we will die!!

Carry dey go Jonathan.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Beaf: 7:30pm On Dec 07, 2011
She said between 2006 and 2011, the nation spent N3,655.17 trillion to subsidise fuel. The cash is 30 per cent of the total expenditure, 118% of the capital expenditure and 4.18% of the GDP.

Damn! That hit me right between the eyes!
Nigeria is set up wrong. We are better of doing away with the subsidy.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by connkg(m): 8:06pm On Dec 07, 2011
I dont think Nigerians are ready for the inevitable inflation.I dont think State Governments would then be able2 afford the new minimum wage,while the FG steps-up Capital prjcts at the same time.Whither savings from de-subsidised diesel?
I hurt to see all those bespectacled "Engineers" at Oando and MRS,whose earnings have not been from any innovation or industrial manufacture.
I submit that the Economic Team recover the funds from Oando,Capital,MRS et al and utilise it in the first 6mnths of 2012 to convince Nigerians of a 50% subsidy removal effective in the 2nd half of 2012.
The burden of proof rests on them,
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by ceejayluv(m): 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2011
The govt ought not to have any business subsidizing fuel if we had steady power supply and efficient transport system. For nigeria to move forward, we have to make some harsh decisions. When we achieve uninterrupted power (50000 MW), Become net exporters of crude products, have state-of-the-art transport facilities, make proper use of our wastin arable land, invest heavily in Research and jail those Bureaucratic scoundrels in Power, Thence, we will hav economic breakthrough in d next 30 years!
There's no short cut! DEREGULATE! as it was done in the telecoms sector. We're 167 million. Geez! We squandered our opportunities in the 70's and 80's, We just gotta bear d inconvenience for a while, Sorry.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by kbsheshe(m): 8:56pm On Dec 07, 2011
Go ahead and do it,you will see what will happen!
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by infofta(m): 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2011
PDP is a cult where GEJ is just a small Boy. He cannot outshine his masters. For Nigeria to move forward we need a complete change of system. We currently have a corrupt system where nothing works, People steal and do anything and gets away freely. Subsidy removal will not change the situation. We need to force PDP out of POWER. You cannot fool the People all the time. Who do you think should chairman our National Transition Committee. Nigeria will be a failed state before 2015. Lol.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by omoalaro: 9:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/2653

See link for gasoline prices around the world versus GDP per capita.

Suggested solutions:
1. Reduce govt excessive spending.
-Imagine number of jobless men and women following a governor in convoys everyday to do simple task like commissioning a small project.
-Imagine the number of people who follow the president/First lady on oversea journeys.
- Visit any local govt secretariat of your choice and you will be amazed the number of workers swarming the place. many of them don't have job schedules and are taking salaries.
-Reduce number of aides to political office holders.
2. Tackle Corruption headlong.
- Mrs Waziri told us how much was recovered from corrupt politicians in one year. how many of them have been punished for it. If we don't punish corruption, whatever we save from the proposed removal of subsidy will go into subsidizing corruption.
3. Turnaround maintenance of refineries should be done with utmost integrity so they can produce at designed capacity.
12 years of PDP govt. is enough to build more refineries and optimize existing ones.
4. Rein in saboteurs in the chain of distribution of petroleum products.
5. In the mean time, Govt should as a duty of care to her citizen continue to subsidize fuel while the right atmosphere is being created for the removal of the subsidy.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Remii(m): 10:33pm On Dec 07, 2011
Subsidy has already been removed form Diesel and Aviation fuel which are the main input in economy drivers. All industrial heavy machines and home generators run on diesel, what they about to remove is for petrol which are mainly used by light vehicle and generators. If power supply improves to reduce dependence on diesel, economy should survive subsidy removal and be better for it. if and only if, saved fund would not end up in private accounts.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Demdem(m): 12:30am On Dec 08, 2011
Honestly, we have a very foolish govt. Those paliative measures are stupid. They have obviously taken nigerians as fools. So unfortunate.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Diligence: 6:50am On Dec 08, 2011
This is the price we hv all got to pay and this govt has tried enof to justify reasons for removal of subsidy; even if u're daft, u wld understand that this is it - so-called fuel subsidy that further enriches the few, MUST GO!
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Exponental(m): 8:40am On Dec 08, 2011
The cost of subsidizing will play a big role in d redundant refineries.
I support d removal, IF govt can ensure dat d refineries are functional n ds we all know will create job opps, availability of raw material 4 domestic production n many more. If d refineries are functional- I SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN, but till den, let there be a plan B.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by abbyode(m): 9:45am On Dec 08, 2011
I fully support the subsidy removal. From those empirical data, it is surely unsustainable. Moreso, few minority are being enriched with it. It will be hard initially, but there is surely a light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Toks2008(m): 9:51am On Dec 08, 2011
Lets see the per litre cost of petrol in some oil producing countries like Nigeria: (simply multily the pence value by N2.53 as 1pence is N2.53k)
Algeria: Algiers – 20p per litre (N50.6K)
Oman: Muscat – 20p per litre
Egypt: Cairo – 19p per litre
Qatar: Doha – 15p per litre
Kuwait: Kuwait City – 14p per litre
Libya: Tripoli – 9p per litre
Saudi Arabia: Riyadh – 8p per litre
And the cheapest in the world is Venezuela: Caracas – 2/3p per litre ( N7.59K) and you could fill up a 70litre tank car with £1.50 which is just about N400 in Nigeria currency.
So lets ask ourselves this Big question' is it impossible to repair our refineries? or is it a terrible thing to be a Nigerian?
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Toks2008(m): 10:10am On Dec 08, 2011
Wetin dey happen sef? Is it that our leaders are posessed or utterly confused? Even Ngozi has lost it.

Wait friends,please explain to me what is going on maybe im the one who has lost it completely.

Lok at this scenario

"My maternal grand mother makes garri from cassava using her local oven so that she can sell to consumers at very cheap rates then gradually the local oven began to deteriorate and she simply allowed a total damage to the oven and then decids to send the cassava down to lagos to process them to cassava flakes(Garri) then takes them back to ogun state to sell at higher rate telling the people that her local oven is totally damaged and the cost of transport and processing in another state is high. MADNESS! TOTAL INSANITY. The question is why can't she simply repair the local oven and continue to sell at reduced prices.

In my opinion, i believe that our Leaders have lost it totally and i am so so ashamed to be a Nigerian. Dumb people,Crazy nation.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by AZeD1(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2011
ceejayluv:

The govt ought not to have any business subsidizing fuel if we had steady power supply and efficient transport system. For nigeria to move forward, we have to make some harsh decisions. When we achieve uninterrupted power (50000 MW), Become net exporters of crude products, have state-of-the-art transport facilities, make proper use of our wastin arable land, invest heavily in Research and jail those Bureaucratic scoundrels in Power, Thence, we will hav economic breakthrough in d next 30 years!
There's no short cut! DEREGULATE! as it was done in the telecoms sector. We're 167 million. Geez! We squandered our opportunities in the 70's and 80's, We just gotta bear d inconvenience for a while, Sorry.
Its funny how Nigerians reason?? Question to you, does the call rate affect the price of food in the market??
abbyode:

I fully support the subsidy removal. From those empirical data, it is surely unsustainable. Moreso, few minority are being enriched with it. It will be hard initially, but there is surely a light at the end of the tunnel.
Few are not being enriched, Subsidy or no subsidy those markets will still make their money, GEJ is trying to cover up his failure, If our refineries were working will Nigeria be taking about importing fuel??
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 08, 2011
Shame shame shame!!! Chai, my heart weeps for Nigeria.Only God knows what befalls us by 2012, am so scared.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 08, 2011
Toks2008:

Wetin dey happen sef? Is it that our leaders are posessed or utterly confused? Even Ngozi has lost it.

Wait friends,please explain to me what is going on maybe im the one who has lost it completely.

Lok at this scenario

"My maternal grand mother makes garri from cassava using her local oven so that she can sell to consumers at very cheap rates then gradually the local oven began to deteriorate and she simply allowed a total damage to the oven and then decids to send the cassava down to lagos to process them to cassava flakes(Garri) then takes them back to ogun state to sell at higher rate telling the people that her local oven is totally damaged and the cost of transport and processing in another state is high. MADNESS! TOTAL INSANITY. The question is why can't she simply repair the local oven and continue to sell at reduced prices.

In my opinion, i believe that our Leaders have lost it totally and i am so so ashamed to be a Nigerian. Dumb people,Crazy nation.
Crazy nation indeed!, I am totally ashame of my i.d, would even prefer to be from chad cos dere is absolutely nothing I have benefitted from been a nigerian.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by janvier27(m): 1:16pm On Dec 08, 2011
I agree with the propriety of fuel subsidy removal in this case. But the government does not have the capacity to ensure that the proceeds are judiciously applied to ameliorate the obvious consequences. It is not difficult to rationalise the neccessity for the removal, but it is difficult to trust government. The trust may start coming back if we see two things immediately done. These are: First, pick some of the several known looters around us from the present or past governments and do real justice to them. Second, cut down cost of government, and especially all the nauseating extravagance of government we see everyday. Simply put: Confront Corruption, and be seen to be seriously commited to doing so. Sadly, I wonder who will lead this.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by COMPAQ(m): 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2011
We think too short term in this country, rather than LONG term!! Look at the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15984493

Somewhere in there, it says that with solar and wind power becoming ever cheaper, it could be at par with fossil fuel power between 2020 and 2030. What happens then? Oil prices fall and Nigeria's revenue crashes and then govt cannot even afford to subsidise if it wanted to.

We had better develop a more robust economy before then!! Removal of many subsidies, including petrol, will help us to get there. Though reduced government wastages, corruption, incompetence etc will also help, but we must attack our developmental issues from all fronts. The extra GDP that telecoms provides Nigeria post deregulation is like 50times what pre-deregulation provided us, likewise jobs. Power and petroleum can have the same effect also.

It is the price we unfortunately have to pay for decades of mismanagement. if our railways had been privatised since the early 80's, many of the live's lost to tanker accidents on our raods may not have happened, not to talk of damage to our roads and a more efficient goods haulage system, which would have made for cheaper products and a more efficient economy.

The medicine is bitter, but we always take it to get better don't we??
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by sweet9ja: 1:56pm On Dec 08, 2011
I support the removal of subsidy on petrol. Africa and especially Nigeria, remain backward today due to the fact that we refuse to try new ideas.
How can we ever develop if we keep doing things the old way? Why must we borrow from from foreign govts and financial institutions when we can as well generate thesame fund locally and avoid the passing debts to future generations?
I do sincerely hope that after successfully abolishing subsidy on petrol, the govt will overhaul the tax system in Nigeria ie overhaul income tax (too many people are evading tax in Nigeria) and introduce some form of road or vehicle tax.
Govt should commit itself to building world class health centres in all six geopolitical zones, upgrade our educational institutions and as matter of urgency subsidize healthcare and education for the very poor in the society.
Re: Petrol May Cost N120 - Okonjo Iweala by sweet9ja: 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2011
COMPAQ:

We think too short term in this country, rather than LONG term!! Look at the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15984493

Somewhere in there, it says that with solar and wind power becoming ever cheaper, it could be at par with fossil fuel power between 2020 and 2030. What happens then? Oil prices fall and Nigeria's revenue crashes and then govt cannot even afford to subsidise if it wanted to.

We had better develop a more robust economy before then!! Removal of many subsidies, including petrol, will help us to get there. Though reduced government wastages, corruption, incompetence etc will also help, but we must attack our developmental issues from all fronts. The extra GDP that telecoms provides Nigeria post deregulation is like 50times what pre-deregulation provided us, likewise jobs. Power and petroleum can have the same effect also.

It is the price we unfortunately have to pay for decades of mismanagement. if our railways had been privatised since the early 80's, many of the live's lost to tanker accidents on our raods may not have happened, not to talk of damage to our roads and a more efficient goods haulage system, which would have made for cheaper products and a more efficient economy.

The medicine is bitter, but we always take it to get better don't we??

abeg tell them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Was Scammed By John Asekome Tunde / CBN Retains Benchmark Interest Rates Despite Recession / WhatsApp Marketing Pro SOFTWARE -Send Massive Bulk WhatsApp Messages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.