Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b (2918 Views)

Non-Remittance Of Recovered Loot: Reps Threaten To Arrest EFCC Boss / $475m Metro And $12B Jonna Train / Rivers Govt Replies Okonji-iweala On Missing $5B From Excess Crude Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Nebeuwa(m): 8:19pm On Dec 10, 2011
It is very difficult for people in general living in Europe and the United States. Communities that are hit the hardest however, are the immigrant communities. This is due to the fact, that many native born citizens are out of work, employers will hire them more than they will hire a person who was not born in this country. The competition to find such well paying jobs is quite fierce. As someone who lives in the United States, I often hear Nigerians say that they will move back to Nigeria, because there are no opportunities in this country. It remains to be seen if this is true, or if the United States and European country are just going through a rough year.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Vigilante: 8:26pm On Dec 10, 2011
@kobo, so just because people voted GEJ, you have decided to punish your mum and dad. Continue to play God.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Dec 10, 2011
Are you not there assuming my mum and dad are as dumb as yours since you pretend that probably because yours vote back the same old failed leaders for another go at ruining their future, that mine also should have done same?? ?? ?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by WilyWily4: 8:46pm On Dec 10, 2011
No need for any Yoruba living abroad to complain, is there no Nigeria shop where they can buy  Agege bread and gari ijebu, these are their main food, they are used to eating cheap not nutritious food, that is why colour of their eye are always red
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by debosky(m): 8:47pm On Dec 10, 2011
Wily Wily is back! grin grin cheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by debosky(m): 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2011
Dunno why everyone is trying to play ITK here - y'all don't know the people Kobo decided to stop remitting funds to do you? The automatic assumption that it must be her parents is quite silly. There are many parents here in Nigeria that are richer than their children abroad, so why the rush to conclude?

Even if she denies them funds, is it your money? Pesin nor even fit decide how to spend hin own money. . . . na wa!! cheesy

Back to the original article - reduced remittances doesn't mean people are now calling naija to beg for money, those abroad may simply have wisened up that they can't keep racking up debts to fund some money grabbing folk back home and are simply paying down their debts, or they now have greater needs in terms of children, buying a home etc.

It's too simplistic too attribute the drop in remittances entirely to people 'suffering'.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by ogajim(m): 9:09pm On Dec 10, 2011
debosky,

God bless you my brother for your wise post, a lot of folks with no VISA stamp on their passports(if they own one that is) suddenly become EXPERTS on how Nigerians abroad are doing, It is laughable to say the LEAST.

Nebeuwa: I don't know what part of the states you live in or your professional status (which might determine the kinds of opportunities available to you), your post makes you out as a new comer because anyone who's been in the US for more than 5 years know American employers will hire anyone who will show up on time, has the skills and a good attitude.

I don't know a jobless person in my Church(Nigerian) and I have to be thankful to God that I have never been in the no job situation in over 20 years, Folks need to stick to what they know one might ADD here,

Most people over here now realize the need to save more, ignore the TRICKS coming from Nigeria and in my case, think only of the aged parents and take care of them while telling able bodied folks to fend for themselves, folks calling you non stop as if the sky is about to fall, send money and the next time you call to see if they got the money, they are at an isiewu joint/miliki spot, LOL

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Vigilante: 9:36pm On Dec 10, 2011
Once kobo is cornered, she attempts to put a spin to her senseless tale. Your sad childhood and bad gene must be the reason. Go on and enjoy your xmas alone as usual. You can start making remittance back home in 2015 when your beloved Buhari turns naija to el dorado.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On Dec 10, 2011
Vigilante:

Once kobo is cornered, she attempts to put a spin to her senseless tale. Your sad childhood and bad gene must be the reason. Go on and enjoy your xmas alone as usual. You can start making remittance back home in 2015 when your beloved Buhari turns naija to el dorado.

You most definitely are the village champion, aren't you? You corned me by [b]assuming [/b]my father and mother are as dumb as yours?? You corned me by [b]assuming [/b]somehow my mom and dad are even in need of my money, let alone live in Nigeria with yours You corned me by [b]pretending [/b]the only way people could have voted this past election was if, out of the 16 other names of the national ballot and the thousand other locals, they only voted for Buhari?? Yes, you cornered me by pretending you have mind reading abilities there and are even able to tell me how I ought to spend my own money? Congratulations, I award you the honor of being the village champion in my own village sef . . . . you are better at it than the current one.

Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Vigilante: 10:09pm On Dec 10, 2011
I hope the moderators can count the number of times kobo has referred to my parents as dumb. I need to sign in with a PC lets get nasty.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Face Hard Times. Remittance Reduced From $12b To About $5b by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2011
No need to start playing the victim card now, OH VILLAGE CHAMPION!!!  I made it clear that persons would have to be dumb to vote a continuation of the status quo. I never said anywhere that my mum and dad where in Nigeria to vote or that I even referred to them in all this but you quickly concluded they had to be. Since you assumed that my mom and dad voted for continuation of the status quo i.e, they are dumb, I could only conclude that you probably thought that because your own mom and dad were that dumb, that mine would also need to be as dumb as yours.  A bit of deductive reasoning required really . . . .  grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arewa Will Never Forgive Biafra Zionist Movement! / FG Sets-up Committee On South-East Erosion / APC Reps Disown Impeachment List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.