Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? (7217 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by diva90: 2:08am On Dec 09, 2011
this is my future profession. I am almost done with my degree in Sociology and i wish to get my masters in industrial relations and personnel management soon. this is to be able to secure a job in any HR department as a HR professional. However, i want to know the least that i could possibly earn as a masters degree holder in this field. Any vital feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by tanimola22: 10:16am On Dec 11, 2011
Hey, there is no particular salary package for HR professionals. Everything depends on the organization you work for.

Oil companies should pay the highest. Some banks also pay well too. I know that Standard Chartered Bank pays 5Million per annum to graduates who are on the HR IGP. The IGP is a Standard Chartered Bank programme designed to help the bank identify future talents in Wholesale Banking, Consumer Banking, Real Estate and Human Resources. Maybe you can try to get into the HR IGP; it is very competitive as you will be competing against thousands of quality applicants, but it is also very possible to get in. I know one or two persons there. Try your luck.

I wish you no bad luck.

Truly,
T22

****IGP= International Graduate Programme

5 Likes

Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by achmed1(m): 12:21pm On Dec 12, 2011
@tanimola . Am a recent grad of b.ed educational mgt with a 2.1 and i am almost thru with professional exams in personnel cipm. I also intend to do a masters in hr. From ur candid point of view do stand a chance in makin a successful career in hr given my educational bckground. And cud it in anyway prevent me from getting to d top of my career ladder. Thnx
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by tanimola22: 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2011
achmed1:

@tanimola . Am a recent grad of b.ed educational mgt with a 2.1 and i am almost thru with professional exams in personnel cipm. I also intend to do a masters in hr. From your candid point of view do stand a chance in makin a successful career in hr given my educational bckground. And cud it in anyway prevent me from getting to d top of my career ladder. Thnx

You funny sha. Abeg go ahead with your plans and don't look back at all at all. Imagine you thinking your foundation in education will hurt you in the future. Kai, you vex me small sha.

Your professional qualification or your master's degree will more than help you reach the zenith of the HR profession. It is just like saying that a person who is a chartered accountant, but did his undergrad in another field, will not make it to the top of the accounting profession. This is a biggggggg lie, iro nla. Many guys who did math, computing, econs, Yoruba, Igbo, history and co are all chartered accountants today. The same reasoning can be extended to the HR profession.

Never be intimidated because you did edu. You have no reason to be. I did pure math/stat and I can recall that the math-edu guys did the same courses we did PLUS [/b]additional courses in education. Their work load was way higher than ours and this made things more difficult for them, yet some of them still earned our respect. If I may ask you, who is more well rounded?

This inferiority complex exhibited by edu grads has to stop! Business admin and management grads are not in any way better than  [b]edu
-business admin and management. Get it?

Go ahead with your nice plans and then come back to tell us that you succeeded.

Good luck.

T22-

Management=x,   x>0
Education-Management=x+y, y>0
Clearly, x+y>x  for all y>0
This implies that Education-Management > Management
where x, y are real numbers denoting the contents of the curricula.

The result can be a.s. generalized to some other fields.

a.s.= Almost surely

T22
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by chamber2(m): 3:10pm On Dec 12, 2011
^^^^

I think the inferiority complex as exhibited by edu students stems from the fact that teachers are not properly remunerated in this part of the world and the teaching professional is considered non-lucrative and often viewed with disdain. This perception tends to affect the student's general outlook. Also, the faculty of edu. in most schools are considered ''dumping'' grounds for ''not too serious'' students who could not score high enough in jamb to be admitted into programmes of their choice. So, in order to pity them and provide them with the benefits of university education they are sent to the faculty of education to waste their time. This is the dilemma of most students of this great faculty.

The most surprising part is that the students of edu don't seem to know what they have or the kind of training they are receiving. I wish i had done Edu/Econs at Uniben when i was first admitted. A typical student of education does more courses than his mates in school. In my class for instance, why Economics students were doing just 7 courses, Edu/Econs students were doing 11 courses. This includes all core econs and educ courses and this was in our finally year oh. If presented with a choice of selecting between two graduates of maybe Economics and Education/Economics, from the same institution and grade, i would definitely go for the guy with edu/eco. The education courses on their own makes one very versatile and inculcates the required people skill necessary to function optimally in an organisation.

It pains me most that even graduates of education don't seem to know all this. Imagine a 2.1 graduate of education mgt asking if his/her educational background would affect her/his career propects in HR. If a graduate of education cannot function well in an HR position i wonder who will.

achmed1:

@tanimola . Am a recent grad of b.ed educational mgt with a 2.1 and i am almost thru with professional exams in personnel cipm. I also intend to do a masters in hr. From your candid point of view do stand a chance in makin a successful career in hr given my educational background. And cud it in anyway prevent me from getting to d top of my career ladder. Thnx

You have a 2.1 and that is all you need to get started. So far, you are on the right track. Relieve yourself of any form of inferiority complex which may have been as a result of what your friends say or think about your course of study. Get the necessary certifications, and if possible, get a masters degree in Hr or any management field. When I told my cousin i was studying Economics she said i was studying a woman's course. Today, the economics has taken me farther than her own profession. So, move on.
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by achmed1(m): 7:22am On Dec 13, 2011
@all ,thanx a lot for d encouragement, my concern stems from my understanding of most hr job specifications which require degrees from humanity,social sciences etc which does not include graduates of education. Howevr i know a lot of hr professonals come from unrelated academic backgrounds, nd my course is not entirely unrelated.

Also i wud appreciate any assist or info dat will lead me to getting an hr role to start with. I wudnt mind an internship, Thanx.
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by LondonCool(m): 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2015
It depends on the experience of the HR masters degree holder.
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by Amina1212: 12:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
Hi, I have worked in HR for close to 5 years, CIPM and PHR certified.My first advice for a budding HR professional in Nigeria is to work and pray, giving both equal emphasis.I knew nobody in Nigeria yet I got great jobs while I was there.Listen, go online, search for hr manager cv, tailor the template to make yours, something organized and eyecatching,NO grammatical errors.do same for a cover letter, always send a cover letter with your cv, most people don't, it makes it seem you took an extra step,difference between an A and A-.
Now flood the Internet openings with your cv and cover letter, anything that has HR,apply;remember the violent take it by force.
Now, when you are not applying or praying, read the Nigerian labour law, what is pension calculation, gratuity,maternal leave,can you use excel well, brush up on your skills, soft skills like smiling, looking into people's eyes when talking,clear and audible voice ,good breath, smell nice, and sister, invest in a good suit, good heels and leather bag.You don't need more than one of each but let it be for interviews only.If you go to GE for an interview, you don't want them thinking,this one might steal our stuff here o,I have worked with NLNG in a contract, oil folks are normal like you and I but we human beings have the flaw of looking at the outside, God looks at the heart.Dress well.Nice hair, clean nails.
Practice your interview in front of a mirror.I am a gesticulator,if there's a word like that,so I had to be sure I am not pointing threatening at the interviewer. Use this to check yourself.
In a good way, imagine the interviewer poo-pooing, it helped me not to get to nervous, he or she is just a human being, smile and shake hands.Dont kneel down, don't bend your head in obeisance, reserve that for God and elders at home. These are your future colleagues.
Begin to thank God in advance, I am a Christian and I know the power of praise, maidear, start your thanksgiving now because with God on your side, you are victorious, shout thank You Jesus,I know You have done it!Alleluyah! It might be ridiculous to some,but the wisdom of God is foolish to man.
Now, have integrity.Say the truth,don't associate with the office gossips, don't collect free lunches or "gifts" from contractors, tell them you have more than enough.Pray to have a true christian as a boss, emphasis on true, every thief is linked to a church the's days, be wise as a serpent, humble and harmless as a dove.
I hope this helps you.

14 Likes

Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by thankyouJesus(m): 1:58pm On Nov 26, 2015
tanimola22:

You funny sha. Abeg go ahead with your plans and don't look back at all at all. Imagine you thinking your foundation in education will hurt you in the future. Kai, you vex me small sha.

Your professional qualification or your master's degree will more than help you reach the zenith of the HR profession. It is just like saying that a person who is a chartered accountant, but did his undergrad in another field, will not make it to the top of the accounting profession. This is a biggggggg lie, iro nla. Many guys who did math, computing, econs, Yoruba, Igbo, history and co are all chartered accountants today. The same reasoning can be extended to the HR profession.

Never be intimidated because you did edu. You have no reason to be. I did pure math/stat and I can recall that the math-edu guys did the same courses we did PLUS [/b]additional courses in education. Their work load was way higher than ours and this made things more difficult for them, yet some of them still earned our respect. If I may ask you, who is more well rounded?

This inferiority complex exhibited by edu grads has to stop! Business admin and management grads are not in any way better than  [b]edu
-business admin and management. Get it?

Go ahead with your nice plans and then come back to tell us that you succeeded.

Good luck.

T22-

Management=x,   x>0
Education-Management=x+y, y>0
Clearly, x+y>x  for all y>0
This implies that Education-Management > Management
where x, y are real numbers denoting the contents of the curricula.

The result can be a.s. generalized to some other fields.

a.s.= Almost surely

T22

At the coloured, I will be resuming for my 100L first semester next year, glad to meet you sir. Following in your foot step.
Re: How Much Do Human Resource Professionals With A Masters Degree Earn? by madelovskoes(m): 10:58am On May 09, 2017
Good day landers, I am also a graduate of educational mgt but with a second class lower division and I intend Starting my masters in industrial relations and personel mgt at unilag to be started this year.
Any advise as to what to do ?
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Ranks: Ranks In The Nigerian Airforce / When Someone Impersonates You, Fakes & Works With Your Credentials ? / Why Should Fg Discriminate Against Hnd Holders?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.