Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? (24333 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / PGD Or MASTERS Without NYSC? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 5:09pm On May 11, 2012
Hello house, please I'd like to know, how much GTB pays their graduate trainees, entry level. And how does their training school operate? Do they pay during training? How much? What other perks? Do they provide accommodation during the training like sum other banks?

I'm currently billed to go for my medicals here in Abuja, being at the final stage of the recruitment process before I resume in their training school. I want to know if it will be worthwhile because I'm also due to travel out of the country for my masters very soon. I also need advise on what to do please. Do I go for my masters, or do I defer d admission and start with GTB?

I really don't wanna make a decision I'll come to regret later on. Thanks in anticipation of your kind responses. Bless.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by tanimola22: 5:58pm On May 11, 2012
Kockane: Hello house, please I'd like to know, how much GTB pays deir graduate trainees, entry level. And how does their training school operate? Do dey pay during training? Ow much? Wot oda perks? Do dey provide accomodation during d training like sum oda banks? I'm currently billed to go for my medicals ere in abuja,being d final stage of the recruitment process b4 I resume in their training school. I want to know if it will be worthwhile cuz I'm also due to travel outta d country for my masters very soon. I also need advise on wat to do please. Do I go for my masters, or do I defer d admission and start wiv GTB? I really don't wanna make a decision I'll cum to regret later on. Thanks in anticipation of ur kind responses. Bless.

After the Master's abroad, what next? Is the school a top 5 US school? Or is it a top 5 UK school?
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 6:37pm On May 11, 2012
tanimola22:

After the Master's abroad, what next? Is the school a top 5 US school? Or is it a top 5 UK school?
Its actually University of Hull, MBA. And really, after masters I dunno. Find a good job sumwhere, I guess. I hear gory tales about what bankers face in terms of retrenchment et al and it really scares d sh*t outta me. But den again, I heard GTB is one of the strongest banks in d country and offers one of d best job securities in the ever-volatile banking industry.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by tanimola22: 7:40pm On May 11, 2012
Kockane:
Its actually University of Hull, MBA. And really, after masters I dunno. Find a good job sumwhere, I guess. I hear gory tales about what bankers face in terms of retrenchment et al and it really scares d sh*t outta me. But den again, I heard GTB is one of the strongest banks in d country and offers one of d best job securities in the ever-volatile banking industry.

I asked you what next because I wanted to know whether or not you have designed an excellent hedge against the unfavorably volatile job market in the UK and other parts of the world. From your answer, you have none. I might be wrong though.

I asked whether it's a top 5 US or UK school because I wanted to gauge your desirability to employers upon your graduation. Unfortunately, your answer shows that you might be no different from other unemployed naija graduates, who have very fancy UK degrees which cost close to 15K, if you went to study in the UK.

To make matters worse, you want to go and study a course that is a one way, a course that favors mostly professionals who have had years of solid professional experience. A course that will not give you an edge to immediately pursue a PhD just in case the job won't just come.

There is one fact that you must always bear in mind, and it is that 'foreign universities will continue to admit students no matter how old the students are'. Therefore, If I were you, I would definitely accept the GT offer, work for some years and then jet out for further studies, if I still deem it necessary. This way, I would stand a better chance of getting into a nicer school, in fact an Ivy league or something very close to it. This way, I would be solid, desirable enough and also stand a better chance of landing an awesome job, after graduation, because of my previous work experience which must surely be of immense advantage to me. I am not saying that one is certain of landing one's dream job just because one has had a solid professional experience. My point is that your chances are much higher if you have a solid work experience plus a top MBA degree.

If I really hate bank job and want to neglect the GT offer for further studies abroad, a strategy I would employ is to simply change courses. I would go for an MSc program instead of an MBA program. I would then make sure I aim to get the best possible grades I can get. This will help me in two ways. First, it will help land me job interviews and I will have something to brag about during the job interviews. Second, I will be competitive to get fully funded PhD positions just in case the ideal job does not come after about 2 years of searching. I think you get my drift.

A lot of naija people are unemployed and stuck in Lagos and London and New York and elsewhere because their Master's degrees are so poor that nobody would believe they can cope with PhD level courses and research. Such people thought going abroad and getting 'any' oyinbo kpali would give them jobs at Total, Mobil, Chevron, Davidson Kempner Advisers and Fortress Investment etc. Unfortunately, many of them are not smiling today.

I will leave you to ponder over my submission and come to a conclusion by yourself, a conclusion that will maximize your own professional payoff.

T22.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by yamakuza: 7:59pm On May 11, 2012
Op, have u paid tuition fees and if so, is it refundable?
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 9:49pm On May 11, 2012
@tanimola22, I really appreciate ur submission on this, quite insightful. Thanks for taking time out to break it down for me. I guess I'll go with gtb for now. On a similar thread, I learnt they pay about 198k for entry level, wich by my standard isn't bad. Enuf to enable me gather sumfn substantial with all deir allowances and stuff and within a few years, enroll into a more reputable university for my masters just as you suggested.

@Yamakuza, yeah I've done half-payment alredy, and no, its non-refundable. Anyways, its not d moni dat matters, I just don't wanna make a grave mistake. The GTB job, I got by God's grace. Just finished my nysc dis february, and I didnt even apply for the position, it was a cousin of myn dat helped submit my cv and dey called me for the test, I went reluctantly, wrote, and discovered I passed. Outta about 6500 pple, dey pikd 39. I know its like a once in a lifetime opportunity and if I'm gonna throw it away, its gotta be for a worthy cause. I guess I'll just have to defer d MBA admission and probably forget about it eventually.

4 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by 2good(m): 1:23pm On May 12, 2012
tanimola22:

I asked you what next because I wanted to know whether or not you have designed an excellent hedge against the unfavorably volatile job market in the UK and other parts of the world. From your answer, you have none. I might be wrong though.

I asked whether it's a top 5 US or UK school because I wanted to gauge your desirability to employers upon your graduation. Unfortunately, your answer shows that you might be no different from other unemployed naija graduates, who have very fancy UK degrees which cost close to 15K, if you went to study in the UK.

To make matters worse, you want to go and study a course that is a one way, a course that favors mostly professionals who have had years of solid professional experience. A course that will not give you an edge to immediately pursue a PhD just in case the job won't just come.

There is one fact that you must always bear in mind, and it is that 'foreign universities will continue to admit students no matter how old the students are'. Therefore, If I were you, I would definitely accept the GT offer, work for some years and then jet out for further studies, if I still deem it necessary. This way, I would stand a better chance of getting into a nicer school, in fact an Ivy league or something very close to it. This way, I would be solid, desirable enough and also stand a better chance of landing an awesome job, after graduation, because of my previous work experience which must surely be of immense advantage to me. I am not saying that one is certain of landing one's dream job just because one has had a solid professional experience. My point is that your chances are much higher if you have a solid work experience plus a top MBA degree.

If I really hate bank job and want to neglect the GT offer for further studies abroad, a strategy I would employ is to simply change courses. I would go for an MSc program instead of an MBA program. I would then make sure I aim to get the best possible grades I can get. This will help me in two ways. First, it will help land me job interviews and I will have something to brag about during the job interviews. Second, I will be competitive to get fully funded PhD positions just in case the ideal job does not come after about 2 years of searching. I think you get my drift.

A lot of naija people are unemployed and stuck in Lagos and London and New York and elsewhere because their Master's degrees are so poor that nobody would believe they can cope with PhD level courses and research. Such people thought going abroad and getting 'any' oyinbo kpali would give them jobs at Total, Mobil, Chevron, Davidson Kempner Advisers and Fortress Investment etc. Unfortunately, many of them are not smiling today.

I will leave you to ponder over my submission and come to a conclusion by yourself, a conclusion that will maximize your own professional payoff.

T22.

Very True. I always tell people that want to study Petroleum Engineering in the UK for example that if they are not going to Imperial College, forget about it cause it is very difficult getting a job. Imperial College does not guarantee you in anyway, but it gives you an edge cos you are interviewed by lots of companies before graduation.
Same should apply to you. I think an MBA with no work experience is close to a waste. Worst of all you're going to a lowly rated school which is Hull. Best thing is to work, get some experience and you'll get a better opportunity if you go for your masters degree in the future. Every employer prefers someone that have atleast some basic level of work experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Mustay(m): 7:50pm On May 12, 2012
What is noticeable about your posts are your concerns about the pay package. It appears you've got better offers or something. It's almost like if the pay ain't worth it (according to your standards) you'd rather spend your money on the masters program. I don't know the cost/benefit analysis you've done.

Rich boi, don't let the financial rewards be a 'raffle draw competiton' (if you know what I mean cool) to your career.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 11:17pm On May 12, 2012
Thx guys, I'm really grateful for ur words of advice. Frankly speaking, I don't fink I cld have gotten better advice elsewhere. Thanks once again.

@Mustay, its not about d money o. Its about making the best use of my youth. I'm 23 now, and my goal is @least by 28, I should be made. Dats why I'm bringin d mata to the older, more experienced fellas in d house. And by consensus, I guess its only reasonable to start off with trying to garner sum work experience b4 going for a meaningful masters degree. And I'm no "rich boi" as you stated, na my papa gratuity moni dey hear am. Lolz.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by flexyonline: 12:06am On May 13, 2012
I dare say Herriot Watt University compares favorably with Imperial in EVERY way when it comes to petroleum engineering education and industry perception in the UK.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by 2good(m): 6:21am On May 13, 2012
flexyonline: I dare say Herriot Watt University compares favorably with Imperial in EVERY way when it comes to petroleum engineering education and industry perception in the UK.

Well Heriot Watt is good I agree with you, but the whole business boils down to getting a job and that is where Imperial stands out. There are also too many Nigerians in most British schools making it even harder for you to get a job but Imperial is more difficult to get into and also exposes you to more companies than Heriot Watt. Most people going abroad to study do so with the hope of getting a job there and get foreign experience but many of them are frustrated on graduation because they don't see this job after spending millions of naira, so they end up going back to Nigeria. Only few universities in the UK organise company days and even recommend their student to companies. I also have a friend who got a job through recommendation of his professor to a company while in Imperial College.
Jobs are harder these days as compared to how things were in the 90's and 2000's, so think wisely before making the decision to go abroad and study. Many Nigerian Imperial graduate are even jobless in Europe.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by garbigarba: 11:49pm On May 22, 2012
Sorry buh m gonna go slightly off topic, I also wrote the gt bank test and I passed, I have been invited for an interview,
Pls any idea on what to expect, I am extremely nervous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by tanimola22: 1:30am On May 23, 2012
garbigarba: Sorry buh m gonna go slightly off topic, I also wrote the gt bank test and I passed, I have been invited for an interview,

So, tell us about yourself. Expect a question like this.

When is your interview?
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 8:48am On May 23, 2012
I had two interviews, one was a panel interview, d oda was one-on-one with an assistant general manager. I guess its all about self-confidence, don't let dem intimidate you, especially d panelists. They are young pple like you, and dey'll try to unbalance you with uncomplimentary comments about ur dressing, etc... Questions like tell us about urself, wat attributes do you fink you have dat'll qualify you for dis job? ABEG don't forget to mention honesty. I didn't and d chick in deir midst immediately started disliking me. Hehe. But overall, do some research on banking and d bank itself in particular, deir orange rules, etc. Its not as tough as it sounds doe, just be confident and dress well and BE YOURSELF. The one-on-one is more of a meeting, during my tym, d guy did 70% of the talkin, and d interview took over an hour. All d very best! Endeavour to fill us in on ow it goes. wink

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Mustay(m): 9:01am On May 23, 2012
Kockane: ABEG don't forget to mention honesty.

Which company is not concerned about the ethical views of their (prospective) employees? Even if you assume it's expected, still mention your PERSONAL VALUES and link it with the coy's CORE VALUES. Every responsible coy wants to reduce operational risk/fraud and legal fees/time that would be wasted by the (in)actions of a 'corrupt' employee.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 9:59am On May 23, 2012
Mustay:

Which company is not concerned about the ethical views of their (prospective) employees? Even if you assume it's expected, still mention your PERSONAL VALUES and link it with the coy's CORE VALUES. Every responsible coy wants to reduce operational risk/fraud and legal fees/time that would be wasted by the (in)actions of a 'corrupt' employee.
Well bro, you know it takes experience to know ow not to leave out the "little" tins in interview. For me, it was my very first interview, I kept goin on and on about hardwork, maturity, zeal, drive, etc... It was like, dey were particular on honesty and I kept leaving it out. It was so funny wen dey kept giving me clues like, "wat attributes are required wen one is to be in charge of money?" And I kept mentioning tins like sound accounting skills, flair for the job, etc... They kept saying "No, no, think well." I eventually gave up and told em to help me out. Lolz.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Mustay(m): 10:18am On May 23, 2012
^^^Your head is there. I personally like the word INTEGRITY - well, all na semantics cool

Life is a school and experience is simply a very good teacher. Good for you. Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kockane(m): 2:35am On May 26, 2012
Thanks bawz! You da boss. grin
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 26, 2012
tanimola22:

T22.
Hi. I did not even finish reading ur post before this comment. U are too intelligent brov.

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by hyman288: 5:33pm On May 26, 2012
garbigarba: Sorry buh m gonna go slightly off topic, I also wrote the gt bank test and I passed, I have been invited for an interview,

pls i want to know if the interview u ar expected to attend in gtbank is the just advertised vacancy by gtbank?pls i need your response,because i applied for the just advertised mass recruitment of fresh graduate
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 26, 2012
except you are goin to Havard or Oxforrd univerty, i think even if you ssit for your part time masters here, it will be better. only if you want to have traveling experiences. Emloyers are no longer looking if u finish from uk or us, they are just satisfied if you go to a good school. Unilag, great ife, ibadan, nsuka, uniilorin are respected well. do your MBA in Nigeria n go for holidays abroad later. and girls like bobos wey work for gtb. dey believe they got d swaggs...lol

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by moderattor: 5:37pm On May 26, 2012
lol

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by FindOut(m): 5:39pm On May 26, 2012
@Kockane, Hmmm... I guess this topic has been treated properly thanks to T22 & co. Many people grapple with this issue & end up making a decision they later regret. Just remember to involve God in all you do.

Btw, what class of degree did you graduate with? 1:1, 2:1, 2:2?

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 26, 2012
Kockane: Hello house, please I'd like to know, how much GTB pays their graduate trainees, entry level. And how does their training school operate? Do they pay during training? How much? What other perks? Do they provide accommodation during the training like sum other banks?

I'm currently billed to go for my medicals here in Abuja, being at the final stage of the recruitment process before I resume in their training school. I want to know if it will be worthwhile because I'm also due to travel out of the country for my masters very soon. I also need advise on what to do please. Do I go for my masters, or do I defer d admission and start with GTB?

I really don't wanna make a decision I'll come to regret later on. Thanks in anticipation of your kind responses. Bless.

It depends on your discipline and career goals.

If your discipline is relevant to banking operations, take the job offer and work for two years before thinking of embarking on any postgraduate studies. Such experience will be useful later while looking for better jobs.

Otherwise, having a banking job on your resume does not count, so take the school offer.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by sole4man: 5:52pm On May 26, 2012

please when did you write the test? I wrote mine May 7th at ilupeju and i also did documentation but I avnt been invited for interview
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by motide(m): 6:00pm On May 26, 2012
one thing i know is that it is not easy to get a job. So if you get one just hold on to it until you get a better one.
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by kristofa09(m): 6:07pm On May 26, 2012
hyman288:

pls i want to know if the interview u ar expected to attend in gtbank is the just advertised vacancy by gtbank?pls i need your response,because i applied for the just advertised mass recruitment of fresh graduate
pls when did u aply?n was it tht haruna.musa@gtbank.com tht u used?
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Somymaurice(m): 6:13pm On May 26, 2012
2good:

Very True. I always tell people that want to study Petroleum Engineering in the UK for example that if they are not going to Imperial College, forget about it cause it is very difficult getting a job. Imperial College does not guarantee you in anyway, but it gives you an edge cos you are interviewed by lots of companies before graduation.
Same should apply to you. I think an MBA with no work experience is close to a waste. Worst of all you're going to a lowly rated school which is Hull. Best thing is to work, get some experience and you'll get a better opportunity if you go for your masters degree in the future. Every employer prefers someone that have atleast some basic level of work experience.
pls,i humbly seek advice from profesionals like you all. I just finished my internship and was about goin for my HND when the NCE came in with their delima. They said students whose name came out on the 2nd barch and below,would have to be referd to parttime classes. Bad news i must confess,cos part time students dont go for service. My question now is,are part time given any form of exemption letter? What is the future like for one without nysc certification? Im an ICAN student,certified in peach3 accounting on right now undergoing training on database MYSQL. Tnks frends
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Kala11(m): 6:28pm On May 26, 2012
Well said...thumbs up!
tanimola22:

T22.

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by Redman44(m): 6:47pm On May 26, 2012
I also have a friend who works with a top bank in Nigeria and who is also thinking of doing his Masters Program in the UK or Canada. He earns close to 170,000 Naira Monthly on his current bank job and he is in a dilemma as to whether he should proceed for his Masters abroad. I've read all the posts on this thread and I agree with all the contributions. However, I believe life is all about opportunities and destiny. You don't have to go to a A List University or College in Europe or North America to make it in life or in your career cool cool cool cool. There are Nigerians who did not even attend Foreign Universities who are tying down top positions in Companies in Europe. They just went for short courses in Professional Centres. Sometimes, it boils down to how good you are and not necessarily the school you acquired your education from. There are Nigerians who still get good jobs in Europe and the UK with Post Graduate Degrees from B and C List Universities in the UK. It is all about destiny. Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by MrNigeria2(m): 6:51pm On May 26, 2012
go for that JOB NOW! !!,, don't forget to save for the moro
Re: GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? by xreal: 6:56pm On May 26, 2012
Dear Kockane,
Yes, you will be paid 'well' during training. GTbank wldn't be responsible for your accomodation. You have nothing to fear. GT is one of the two best paying banks in Nigeria 2day.

If I were you, I wld go for GTb's offer. I understand your fear(s). Either at Ilupeju or Mobolaji B Anthony, the training school is full of fun; social activities mixed with high brain-tasking academic training.

Hello, you wldn't be a Contract staff. If U excel in the training, U'ld be flying on the '205' level, U'ld know what I mean later. And after sometime, you may decide to sponsor yourself to a better school, trust me. Moreso, GTbank encourages it's staff to build on his/her academic career.

All d best.
Hope to see you soon in one of the Orange Banks's branches.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Online Skill Can I Learn At 35 / Dangote Group Appoints Olakunle Alake As Its New Group Managing Director / President Buhari Appoints Orji Ogbonnaya Orji as NEITI boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.