Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,485 members, 7,854,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:46 AM

Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing (1064 Views)

Asari-dokubo Gives FG 7-day Ultimatum To Hands Off Alleged Rigging Plot / President GEJ Washes Hands Off Security Operatives Action. / Delta Govt Votes ₦7.4bn To Demolish Hills Around Airport In 10 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by Ovularia: 12:03am On Dec 10, 2011
Delta govt washes hands off Onokpite’s killing
on DECEMBER 9, 2011 · in NEWS

By Austin Ogwuda
Asaba—DELTA State Government, has washed its hands of the murder of the gubernatorial candidate of the Citizens Popular Party, CPP, in the last general election, Chief Ogbe Onokpite, warning those making ‘’malicious and unfounded allegations,’’ to desist from maligning the government henceforth.

State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Chike Ogeah, who reacted to media reports on the matter said: “This (accusation) is really coming as a great surprise to all of us because it really tells you the level of depravity in the kind of politics we play in Delta State.’’

Ogeah said: ‘’It is absurd to think that government directed the police to kill one of its citizens when it is the duty of such government to protect life and property of the people.

’’Sometimes, I get very sad. How could something about a situation between the Nigeria Police and a citizen of Nigeria which led to what I can call an unlawful killing, at this point in time until investigations are concluded, be attributed to the government.

’’The late Onokpite was a citizen of Delta State and the government has the constitutional right to protect the citizens.

“How could anybody in his/ her right mind now turn round and accuse the state government of killing him, just because we are in different political parties?

’’The police which he reportedly had problems with are not under the control of the state government.

‘’We thank God that we do not have state police because the minute we have state police in Nigeria that would just be an invitation for chaos.

’’Even with this kind of situation, we now know how people’s minds are working. We are at a loss. The government condemns any form of unlawful killing whether from opposition or people in government.”

Former labour leader and chieftain of Democratic Peoples Party, DPP in the State, Chief Frank Kokori, had told reporters in Warri that Onokpite’s killing was “politically-motivated because he was a gubernatorial candidate of CPP on two occasions.’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/delta-govt-washes-hands-off-onokpites-killing/
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by Beaf: 9:15am On Dec 10, 2011
What bothers Delta state indegenes is the graphic description of Onokpite's death in police custody by his driver. We resolutely demand to know who was repeatedly referred to as "excellency" and who it was claimed was the bigger force Onokpite should never have challenged.

Onokpite's driver (who is now on the run for his dear life) is thankfully not from Delta state; he is Yoruba from Lagos. Therefore, the mans graphic account of the killing cannot be put down to Delta states internal ethnic stresses.

If the state govt is implicated in any way, then to preserve investigative fairness, the FG MUST declare a state of emergency in Delta state.
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by wesley80(m): 11:49am On Dec 10, 2011
Beaf:

What bothers Delta state indegenes is the graphic description of Onokpite's death in police custody by his driver.

Maybe you should have said 'some Delta indigenes' cos I can assure you not all are bothered, at least not those that knew the antecedents of the deceased. The brutal extra judicial murder of an individual is condemnable no doubt just as it is alien to our culture to celebrate the death of an individual, that said, in these parts there have been certain exits that've got residents heaving a sigh. Names like Friday Ani, Osama(not Bin laden), Yellow man, Gadaffi (not muammar) to mention a few all have one thing in common - untimely and mostly violent ends and now people are adding Ogbe's name to that ignominous list!
It's funny how these things play out in the media and one gets to read all sorts of twists, but was the deceased just a 'good man' that met his end in the hands of a senseless bunch of law enforcement agents? Senseless - yes, Good man? - hardly. If you live in same city where one of the notorious self styled lord got arrested a few years ago only to break out of the Ogwashi Ukwu prisons and now walks freely with his past crimes forgotten while he outdoes himself, you'd be tempted to reconsider your view of extrajudicial murder! - America certainly did.
I keep hearing them say he was a governorship candidate so he's got to have been reputable, really? a willing and ready stooge? the less said the better but dont get swayed by half truths and cheap propaganda. Whether or not ' his excellency' had anything to do with it does not bother people around here who are just glad to sit back and watch 'they that live by the sword die by the sword' one after the other! Many things to be bothered about and the exit of a self styled lord isnt one.
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by Beaf: 2:38pm On Dec 10, 2011
wesley80:

Maybe you should have said 'some Delta indigenes' cos I can assure you not all are bothered, at least not those that knew the antecedents of the deceased. The brutal extra judicial murder of an individual is condemnable no doubt just as it is alien to our culture to celebrate the death of an individual, that said, in these parts there have been certain exits that've got residents heaving a sigh. Names like Friday Ani, Osama(not Bin laden), Yellow man, Gadaffi (not muammar) to mention a few all have one thing in common - untimely and mostly violent ends and now people are adding Ogbe's name to that ignominous list!
It's funny how these things play out in the media and one gets to read all sorts of twists, but was the deceased just a 'good man' that met his end in the hands of a senseless bunch of law enforcement agents? Senseless - yes, Good man? - hardly. If you live in same city where one of the notorious self styled lord got arrested a few years ago only to break out of the Ogwashi Ukwu prisons and now walks freely with his past crimes forgotten while he outdoes himself, you'd be tempted to reconsider your view of extrajudicial murder! - America certainly did.
I keep hearing them say he was a governorship candidate so he's got to have been reputable, really? a willing and ready stooge? the less said the better but dont get swayed by half truths and cheap propaganda. Whether or not ' his excellency' had anything to do with it does not bother people around here who are just glad to sit back and watch 'they that live by the sword die by the sword' one after the other! Many things to be bothered about and the exit of a self styled lord isnt one.

The question of wether the man was good or bad does not arise where the law has been so flagrantly broken and an extra-judicial execution has taken place. You imply that Onokpite was a cult lord that terrorised others, but surely that should have been dealt with in court?

I am not aware that Onokpite was involved in thuggery of any sort (I could be wrong), so please could you provide some info?

Onokpite's death has raised very ugly questions that are of epochal significance.
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by tpia5: 2:56pm On Dec 10, 2011
Their calling someone "your excellency" over the phone could have been meant as a red herring.

Especially since they didnt kill the driver but allowed him to witness the entire incident.
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by wesley80(m): 4:11pm On Dec 10, 2011
Beaf:

The question of wether the man was good or bad does not arise where the law has been so flagrantly broken and an extra-judicial execution has taken place. You imply that Onokpite was a cult lord that terrorised others, but surely that should have been dealt with in court?

I am not aware that Onokpite was involved in thuggery of any sort (I could be wrong), so please could you provide some info?

Onokpite's death has raised very ugly questions that are of epochal significance.

The Law abused? Really? The reason most folks are indifferent out here is cos someone that seemed to live above those supposed laws has come undone by another set of fellows with no regard for the law they are supposed to be custodians of. If you've been paying attention to news from Warri esp the Uvwie axis you'd be aware there has barely been peace and if the authorities were ever going to be serious in tackling the real problem, high stake casualties wld be involved. So there you have it. We know the Nigerian police are naturally overzealous and seem to have idiocy flowing in their veins, but sometimes one cant help but cut them some slack. The current LG Chairman in the Uvwie lg is the younger brother of the late notorious thug called Ghadafi simply handpicked as compensation to the family, one of the most feared name in this part is a certain Newton, tried and imprisoned but broke out of jail and now roams free as an untouchable and political power broker. My point? Ours is a society that rewards gangsterism and thuggery, the tougher you are the higher you go and the police unwittingly become nothing but political tools except when they decide to do what unfortunately is called 'extrajudicial murder' because the system cant be relied upon to mete out justice or that which it manages to mete out is so easily be subverted. We've got serious problems i tell you.
Re: Delta Govt Washes Hands Off Onokpite’s Killing by wesley80(m): 6:26pm On Dec 10, 2011
Beaf:

Bet you're also not aware the deceased had been declared wanted twice by the police before he traveled abroad, caught and detained for some months before he was curiously released after being charged for Murder! Is it not curious that each time he's spoken about what is always pointed to is the fact that he was once a gubernatorial candidate (even though he always stepped down before the contest?) Why dont we get to hear about his business, career, family and accomplishments? Abeg just leave Matter for Matthias.

(1) (Reply)

Nl Please Link Me With Col. Yakubu Bako / Kano State To Marry Out 1000 Widows / Army Kills Another 8 Boko Haram Members, Arrest 5 And Recovers Explosives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.