Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (14324 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / GEJ Ready To Face APC Presidential Candidate In Public Debate / Gej Ready For Boko Haram Come June 2012 (prep Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by TRUTHTELA: 12:05am On Dec 11, 2011
Subsidy Removal:i’m Ready For Mass Revolt –jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan, at the weekend, vowed to take the option of social revolt from Nigerians than back down on his plan to withdraw the subsidy on fuel.
He said his insistence was informed by his knowledge that Nigeria’s economy will collapse in two years if the subsidy is sustained.

Sunday Sun learnt President Jonathan stated this at a meeting with the leadership of some civil society organizations at the President Villa in Abuja, which was also attended by Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Finance and Coordinator of the Economic Team, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and her Petroleum Resources counterpart, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke

Notable names at the meeting included the former President, Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Olisa Agbakoba, Femi Falana, Chidi Odinkalu, Sam Amadi, Dr Oma Nwokeocha and Emma Ezeazu.
Others are Mahmud Abdul, Ms Annkio Briggs, Tony Uranta, Emmanuel Onwubuiko, Auwal Musa Rafsanjani and Toyosi Akerele.

A source at the meeting, which lasted between 11pm and 3am, told Sunday Sun that the President explained why his government was bent on removing the subsidy.
He said the economy was on the verge of collapse and only an assured extra revenue can halt the slide. To the Presidency, that alternative revenue is proceeds from the removal of the subsidy.
Reminded that Nigerians were totally opposed to the move, Jonathan, according to our source, said he was ready to face uprising from the masses than allow the economy to collapse.
He listed ways the proceeds from the subsidy removal would be put to use for the good of the masses. For a start, he said a seven-member trust fund akin to the defunct Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) established during the late Sani Abacha administration would be set up to administer the extra revenue accruable from the subsidy removal.

He also told the civil society team that apart from constructing and rehabilitating some infrastructure, he would direct state governments to forward a list of 20,000 unemployed youths each for immediate engagement.
He equally pledged to use the proceeds to tackle maternal mortality and the decay in the education sector.
Most of the civil society members at the meeting however disagreed with the President and his cabinet members, asking him to look for alternative means of reviving the economy rather than creating more hardship for the masses.

Agbakoba reportedly told the President that the maritime sector was a goldmine for a robust economy any day if it is well tapped into and advised the government to diversify the economy by exploring other options.
Falana and Onwubuiko similarly disagreed with the President’s proposition, arguing that it would be defeatist for the government to narrow down Nigeria’s economy to oil revenue only.
They argued that since over-dependence on oil in the past never grew the economy, it would be absurd for the present administration to continue on the same path of economic retrogression.

Both of them also reportedly told Jonathan that most of what he was promising to do with the extra oil revenue were already accommodated in the budget even without subsidy removal.
Sunday Sun however learnt that one of the civil society members backed the government plan and suggested that it should step up enlightenment campaign to enable the public see the merits of the move.
Towards achieving this, the government is said to have budgeted heavily for an hyper e-campaign propaganda to sway Nigerians to buy into the policy. It has been running advertorials in the media on the planned subsidy removal.

But at the next leg of the e-campaign, it plans to inundate Nigerians with a propaganda bliss using the social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/dec/11/newsbreak-11-12-2011-001.html
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by TRUTHTELA: 12:05am On Dec 11, 2011
Lol, Action Man!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by ASOROCKb(m): 12:25am On Dec 11, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

Lol, Action Man!
>>>thats jonathief 4u
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by hustla242: 1:03am On Dec 11, 2011
No need to worry Jona-Jona, there won't be any revolt beyond your power. Nigerians are too docile
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by ogundokun: 1:19am On Dec 11, 2011
i believe God want to use jonathan to break nigeria. We are very close to it.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by eros(m): 1:26am On Dec 11, 2011
How daft or greedy can any man get

There is obviously alot for Jonathief to gain from this subsidy removal than we really know.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by moshoodn(m): 1:29am On Dec 11, 2011
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . the end in sight.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by jason123: 1:31am On Dec 11, 2011
No Mister president, you are not ready! Best believe!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by nanidee(f): 1:35am On Dec 11, 2011
Was any revolt brewing in the first place? I guess not.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by MAYOWAAK: 1:35am On Dec 11, 2011
The sentiment of not having a shoe as a kid might have won him the election but now that Nigeria has given him a shoe,he should show that it is not too big for him.Not having a shoe is different from not having a clue.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by okadaman2: 1:36am On Dec 11, 2011
That's my president !!!

Original Egbesu Warrior! We are behind you. Carry go Sah! embarassed

Hmm. . .Mass revolt no be moinmoin o .  embarassed
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 1:57am On Dec 11, 2011
Who wan revolt before?
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by OAM4J: 2:05am On Dec 11, 2011
Dont worry oga Joe, nothing will happen. Nigerians will complain as usual and after few days continue with their suffering & smiling cos many of us are coward internet warlords.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by member479760: 2:07am On Dec 11, 2011
the issue of economy that over 40 billion barrels of oil reserve couldn't fix for over 50 years, now it's removal of subsidy will fix it. the policy is simple against the oppositions which Tinubu is one of those making money from the subsidy. nawa for this bad bele! a cowardly act indeed.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by splashbaby(m): 4:10am On Dec 11, 2011
Jo boy! Gaddafi and Hosni are more powerful than u but fell. U can't stand a week of our protest, We are ready. Remember anytin Nigerians borrow Na wire
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 4:22am On Dec 11, 2011
Subsidy is the only benefit Nigerians get from this country.  GEJ - Many Nigerians now regret voting for you. You can be removed and don't think you are above it. If you continue with this madness of removing subsidy, you may not last long on that sit. Take notice.

P.H.U.C.K Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. That woman make me puke.  Fat over-rated  ARSE like her and AGENT of the world bank.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 4:24am On Dec 11, 2011
splashbaby:

Jo boy! Gaddafi and Hosni are more powerful than u but fell. U can't stand a week of our protest, We are ready. Remember anytin Nigerians borrow Na wire

It is not about how powerful GEJ is compared to Gadaffi and the like of Hosni.It is the fact that any protest in naija at this time will put a end to this false and shaky unity call Nigeria.I strongly believe the president should stand his ground and he would have become God instrument.We need to as a matter of fact go our different ways.My dear Presido please remove the Gadem SUBSIDY.I am in support of the removal.And if those who want to go on mass protest do,then the end of naija has come which to me is the REAL THING!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by manny4life(m): 4:27am On Dec 11, 2011
Olodostein:

Subsidy is the only benefit Nigerians get from this country.  GEJ - Many Nigerians now regret voting for you. You can be removed and don't think you are above it. If you continue with this madness of removing subsidy, you may not last long on that sit. Take notice.

P.H.U.C.K Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. That woman make me puke.  Fat over-rated  ARSE like her and AGENT of the world bank.

Hate her, like her, thank God for freedom of speech, you're entitled to your opinion. I do support the removal, however, only if govt can provide other alternatives.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 4:31am On Dec 11, 2011
okada_man:

That's my president !!!

Original Egbesu Warrior! We are behind you. Carry go Sah! embarassed

Hmm. . .Mass revolt no be moinmoin o .  embarassed

My brother na true talk say Mass protest no be moin-moin,but we also know worse things happened in naija years back when Men and women from other region wrecked havoc on nigerians and nothing happened.I dey pray for the mass protest to happen even though I know most people agitating for Mass protest do not have the liver to come out and face bullets.The fact is if MP start,that would help start that disintergration of this false unity call Nigeria.GEJ remove the GADEM SUBSIDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Thatdave(m): 4:38am On Dec 11, 2011
GEJ is faced with a click of cables ready to pay any amount to rear up a protest,
and he is taking them by the horns.
If you think the man is a retardd, remember he has never lost a fight.
GEJ go! We dey your back.
Fowl nyash must open into CNN news.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by otokx(m): 4:41am On Dec 11, 2011
Goodluck is sending conflicting signals.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by MrResource(m): 5:02am On Dec 11, 2011
This man indirectly wants a revolution undecided. . .wait o, which kain yeye advertisement will they do They Shouldn't disturb my Radio angry angry
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 5:09am On Dec 11, 2011
manny4life:

Hate her, like her, thank God for freedom of speech, you're entitled to your opinion. I do support the removal, however, only if govt can provide other alternatives.

Man, you don't sit in your semi-comfort environment where you are thrown crumbs from the table to say that Poo. "Thank God for freedom of speech" my black A.R.S.E.  I don't need no man or LAW to remind me of the right to speak like the media or fake lawmakers have made you to believe. I was born free to speak from the very first day I came into this world.

What alternatives are you talking about?  Did you think or ask what they have been doing with the billions they got and still gets in revenues? What made you think they would utilise this one?  How is that poor woman who sells pure water and akara in the hot streets of Lagos, Abuja, Onitsha and other cities going to survive? How is that man who barely survive on his monthly salary going to get to work when transport fare is increased?  

I have known you to be an objective poster on here. But do not let me unleash my arsenals on you for being inconsiderate and un-empathetic to the plight of millions of Nigerians out there who wallow in poverty.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by uche77zero(m): 5:42am On Dec 11, 2011
a prseident that succumb to FIFA but would not answer to the cries of his people
na wow O!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by tiwola: 5:50am On Dec 11, 2011
Let me see how good nairalanders are at lateral thinking:

1st: NNPC and the FG can't either establish or control the cost of overseas refining and fuel importation as evidenced by recent revelations involving their duplicity in the subsidy scam.

2nd: Out of the blue, the government wants to pursue a deregulation agenda (that's what this talk of subsidy removal really is: our government is abandoning Nigerians to the whims and caprices of the same people it has paid these subsidies to for nearly 10yrs now. People who through deregulation can agree to charge as high as they want).

3rd: Deregulation (idiot-proof translation): The total absence of government legislation, oversight, supervision, responsibilty or accountability over a particular sector of the economy.

4th: The government already practices a form of the above by granting unsupervised powers to NNPC which is implicated in the present subsidy scam.

5th: An example of the results of deregulation can be found in the present global financial crisis which was precipitated by the irresponsibility of the US government when they deregulated the investment banking sector, allowing greedy bankers the rule of the roost with the global economy in the balance. (more to be said here but little time: If you need more info, get a copy of the Inside Job documentary. I can make my copy available if you live in the Ketu, Magodo or Ikeja environs).

6th: FG refuses to initiate, organize or give us a concrete timeline on when our refineries will go back online.

7th: Government refuses to tell us if the price increases resulting from subsidy removal will be permanent ot temporary. It CAN be a temporary if their are plans to renovate existing refineries and build new ones.

8th: Government has no plans to fully revitalize the non-oil sectors of the economy or initiate programs to encourage private sector development of these areas.

9th: The total absence of true palliatives that could ease the burden of subsidy removal: 24hrs electricity and plans to improve local refining capacity.

Now for our lateral thinking assignment: Put all the above pieces together and tell me what you see. Best of luck.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by manny4life(m): 6:08am On Dec 11, 2011
Olodostein:

Man, you don't sit in your semi-comfort environment where you are thrown crumbs from the table to say that Poo. "Thank God for freedom of speech" my black A.R.S.E.  I don't need no man or LAW to remind me of the right to speak like the media or fake lawmakers have made you to believe. I was born free to speak from the very first day I came into this world.

Really? Being thrown crumbs from the table? Lol, isn't that the greatest joke of the century shocked shocked shocked Again, like I said, "Thank God for freedom of speech", though speech has limitations, not everyone has that freedom to speak freely so no one is holding you back nor accusing you nor barring you from or for freely exercising your right to abuse her and her FAT AR.SE , Go figure on the rest you posted.

Olodostein:

What alternatives are you talking about?  Did you think or ask what they have been doing with the billions they got and still gets in revenues? What made you think they would utilise this one?  How is that poor woman who sells pure water and akara in the hot streets of Lagos, Abuja, Onitsha and other cities going to survive? How is that man who barely survive on his monthly salary going to get to work when transport fare is increased?  

When I mean alternatives, I mean substitutes to compensate for the issues that may arise. Though the poor woman who sells pure water and akara in the hot streets of Lagos, and Onitsha to survive will be adversely affected, however, given proper planning the economic shock won't be as adverse as people tend to reason. I know I made this comment before, remove subsidy, issue license to import (excessive supply), that will automatically drive cost really LOW. I know though I have often advocated for strong forex principles, but this seems like a short term alternative at the moment before implementing long term goals (building of refineries et al).

Olodostein:

I have known you to be an objective poster on here. But do not let me unleash my arsenals on you for being inconsiderate and un-empathetic to the plight of millions of Nigerians out there who wallow in poverty.

Thank you for seeing me as an objective poster, however, this is no yelling match irrespective of the fact you may want unleash you arsenals, trust and believe, I wouldn't stoop that low. I'm really considerate and empathetic to the plight of millions of Nigerians but given the current situation @ hand, armed with the right policies in place (i.e. if everything remains equal), this is actually a good policy. I just think the president and his cabinet are doing a bad job in selling the idea.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Kobojunkie: 6:11am On Dec 11, 2011
Mr.Resource:

This man indirectly wants a revolution undecided. . .wait o, which kain yeye advertisement will they do They Shouldn't disturb my Radio angry angry

OH@!! I know how you feel . . . I can't stand it too when they do that, especially on TV. I usually start changing channels to find me some peace of mind. ROFL
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Nobody: 6:14am On Dec 11, 2011
the good for nothing eejit and his useless security apparatus is not ready for boko haram, but he is ready for mass revolt
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by babaowo: 6:21am On Dec 11, 2011
hmmm real drama want begin, Lord have mercy!!!!!!!!have mercy Lord!!!!!! I will need to full my kitchen store to the  maximum lol,
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by efisher(m): 6:23am On Dec 11, 2011
. . . And they said he was weak!
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by alex406(m): 6:24am On Dec 11, 2011
At first im happy he created window for suggestions from the civil representatives. Moreso i think some of them made a good point by pointing to the fact that govt should diversify the economy to other sectors so the economy dont depend 100% on petroleum. Govt should look at diversifying the economy to maritime,agriculture and production. I will help curb the incessant dependability on oil which will soon dry. GEJ kudos to you but please reason with your partners and do the right thing.
Re: Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt by Kobojunkie: 6:25am On Dec 11, 2011
Yes, saying one is ready for Mass Revolt when all signs point to NOT . . . is not a sign of weakness at all. grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official / Jonathan Bars Ministers, Others From Partying Abroad / Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.