Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. (97746 Views)

Poll: I now believe Abacha may have been honest and Obasanjo / IBB deliberately discredited Abacha's name, because:

His economic performance was on of best in Nigeria's history: 9% (1 vote)
PDP cronies - Abubakar Bagunu & Buba Marwa seem to be the people to link Abacha to the looted funds in Swiss banks appear to have been bribed by Obasanjo Govt to accuse Abacha: 9% (1 vote)
No witnesses appear to to give evidence against Abacha when Swiss lawyers came to Nigeria to collect evidence: 0% (0 votes)
Abdulsalami Abubakar /IBB/Obasanjo instigating a blind probe od=f Abacha and "discovering" billions of dollars in foreign accounts within days of Abacha's death prove they were out to discredit Abacha: 0% (0 votes)
None of above - I believe Abacha was a major looter: 81% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: Having read this thread, I believe that Abacha

May not have looted, his enemies bribed witnesses such as Abubakar Bagudu, claim that funds in foreign accounts belonged to Abacha: 9% (1 vote)
I believe Abacha was a big looter and I haveevidence other than the accusation that money "recovered" from Foreign banks belonged to him: 54% (6 votes)
I am not sure anymore: 36% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE / How Abacha Was Poisoned - Another Version / How Abacha Was Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2011
Notice how this PDP crony has been brought in to claim he is a business associate of Abacha's son, yet Abacha's son was denied access to challenge it because Obasanjo had him locked up in prison on trumped up charges.

coincidence?
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 13, 2011
Let us re-assess our view of Abacha ooh!

Just look at his economic performance should convince you that he did not do any looting
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 13, 2011
SEN.BAGUDU ABUBAKAR ATIKU

Senator, 7th National Assembly (2011-2015)

Date of Birth: 1961-12-28
Marital Status: Married
Political Party: Peoples Democratic Party
State: Kebbi
Senatorial District: Kebbi Central
Date of Assumption: 2011-05-29
Seat Up Date: 2015-05-29
senatecontact@nass.gov.ng
Share Education:
BSc (Economics), Msc (Economics),
M.A. (International Affairs)

Awards & Honours:

Previous Elected Office:

Legistlative Experience:

http://www.nassnig.org/nass/portfolio/profile.php?id=sen.abubakarbagudu

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by saydfact(m): 4:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=24pt]I
DO
NOT
COMMENT
ON
"THIS"
BUT
IT
WLD
BE
A
SIN
NOT
TO
TAG
THIS
AS
"THE
MOST
USE LESS
POST"
I
EVER
SAW
ON
THE
FRONT
PAGE.[/size]

lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Baawaa(m): 4:46pm On Dec 13, 2011
Genbuhari is still havin meeting wt Abacha cool cool
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=18pt]18th November 1993 - The New York Times
General Sani Abacha Ousts Interim President Shonekan and assumes power.[/size]

LAGOS, Nigeria, Nov. 17— The interim President of Nigeria, Ernest Shonekan, was forced out today by the Defense Minister, who has a long history of involvement in the country's political turmoil.

Government television announced the ouster by Gen. Sani Abacha, 50, who has been considered to be the real power behind the Government.

The ouster of Mr. Shonekan was the result of a meeting of military leaders last week to discuss the country's political turmoil, according to a Western diplomat who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The most recent turmoil began after the previous President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, voided a presidential election that was to end a decade of military rule. He resigned under pressure on Aug. 26 and named Mr. Shonekan, an ally, as his successor. But General Abacha, a prominent figure in the coup that ended the civilian Government in 1983 and in the rise to power of General Babangida two years later, was believed by many to be behind General Babangida's resignation as well, an act that led to widespread dissension in the military.

Mr. Shonekan, a former business executive and ally of General Babangida, was widely perceived as a puppet of General Abacha. .

Today's action is the latest twist in the most turbulent period in Nigerian history since the 1967 civil war that resulted in the short-lived breakaway nation of Biafra and led to the death of about a million people.

Nigeria, which achieved independence from Britain 33 years ago, is in the midst of a general strike called by major unions and pro-democracy groups to protest Mr. Shonekan's decision to raise fuel prices sevenfold.

[flash=800,900]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhG3OU8FZZk?version=3[/flash]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.192.html
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by jmaine: 5:02pm On Dec 13, 2011
So the MODs actually endorsed this thread for the homepage as predicted . . .Such a pity
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 13, 2011
^I had lobbied for this thread to go on the front page.
Thanks moderators smiley
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by passionate88: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2011
Buhari clap for yourself, Well done
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2011
Thanks
You have not seen nothing yet.

More news stories from Abacha's era to follow smiley
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by danjohn: 5:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
GenBuhari, I think that you are tarnishing Buhari's brand by coming here to say that Abacha stole no money.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 13, 2011
Iam not General Buhari, he does not need me to protect his brand.

Abacha is not being given credit for his excellent governance and I think some of the lies aginst him  need to be exposed.

Don't you see conspiracy that  the same Abubakar Bagunu is a member of PDP establishment?

Do you think it is a coincident?

When something is fishy we need to expose it!
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 13, 2011
Did Mohammed Abacha not begin his political life in the PDP before jumping ship, after it became obvious his plans to contest the governorship of Kano on that platform was DoA?

What's with all these half-baked assertions which won't hold up to scrutiny? undecided

How do you even begin to argue that, because Obasanjo and IBB were bigger thieves, Abacha never stole a kobo, with a clear conscience?
What kind of inverted reasoning is this?
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Demdem(m): 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2011
I detest abacha even in death however the poster seems to be making some little sense. Come to think of it, most of the info I can gather about abacha stolen funds are from the pdp govt. That alone makes me uncomfortable. That party isnt known for truth.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 13, 2011
Demdem:

I detest abacha even in death however the poster seems to be making some little sense. Come to think of it, most of the info I can gather about abacha stolen funds are from the pdp govt. That alone makes me uncomfortable. That party isnt known for truth.

So simply because the 'recovery' of stolen funds started in 1999 (at a time when the PDP held sway), @GenBuhari appears to be making some sense? shocked

You really need to take time out to read "Buhari and Co’s Revisionism?" -- http://www.gamji.com/haruna/haruna253.htm

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Demdem(m): 6:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
eGuerrilla:

So simply because the 'recovery' of stolen funds started in 1999 (at a time when the PDP held sway), @GenBuhari appears to be making some sense? shocked

You really need to take time out to read "Buhari and Co’s Revisionism?" -- http://www.gamji.com/haruna/haruna253.htm

Yes he is making little sense. If u are not comfortable with my views, that's ur cup of tea. Pdp is a develish party, so it isn't impossible.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by violent(m): 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
puff puff puff puff

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2011
Demdem:

Yes he is making little sense. If u are not comfortable with my views, that's your cup of tea. Pdp is a develish party, so it isn't impossible.

It is unfortunate that your pejorative view of the ruling party (PDP), which I share, has moved you to the point where objective reasoning gets suspended.
Ever heard the saying that even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day?

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Demdem(m): 6:54pm On Dec 13, 2011
eGuerrilla:

It is unfortunate that your pejorative view of the ruling party (PDP), which I share, has moved you to the point where objective reasoning gets suspended.
Ever heard the saying that even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day?

And u that claim to be objective, how factual do u think ur facts are. Are u certain that what u claim is ur stand is 100% true. As far as am concerned, the scenario painted by the op isn't a completely impossible scenario considering the nigerian context here.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 13, 2011
Demdem:

And u that claim to be objective, how factual do u think your facts are. Are u certain that what u claim is your stand is 100% true. As far as am concerned, the scenario painted by the op isn't a completely impossible scenario considering the nigerian context here.

Why do I need to be 100% certain of  my fact(s) when @OP is cock sure "General Sani Abacha Never Looted" grin
Do you see why a number of commentators have all but reduced his attempts at image laundering to the after effect of smoking some mind-altering substance?

To be clear, he not me needs to prove how a career soldier came about such stupendous wealth.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by freecocoa(f): 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2011
I sure was a kid when Abacha died but I remember vividly well that I went with my big cousin to buy bread and some other things for mum,while we were still there the news came that he had died,the man at the store didn't collect money for what we bought,he asked us to go with the money cos he was happy God finally answered his prayers,people were running about the streets jubilating,I think I was 7 or so then but I I won't forget that day, that's about enough sign that Abacha was EVIL,and btw my cousin didn't give my mum the money back and he only gave me stick sweet like we called it then.
SO OP PUFF PUFF PUFF

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Demdem(m): 7:10pm On Dec 13, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Why do I need to be 100% certain of  my fact(s) when @OP is rooster sure "General Sani Abacha Never Looted" grin
Do you see why a number of commentators have all but reduced his attempts at image laundering to the after effect of smoking some mind-altering substance?

To be clear, he not me needs to prove how a career soldier came about such stupendous wealth.

Reading more from the op from this same thread, u will notice that somehow he has corrected himself. Hw made mention of the fact that the general most likely allocated more funds to himself than he should.
I don't care what other commentators may be saying, all I know is this sane scenario painted by the op is very well possible in present day Nigeria.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Cine(m): 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
OP, you're trolling us. However, I agree with the poster freecocoa above. When abacha died; people were on the streets crying tears of joy and happiness.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Elemcat: 7:30pm On Dec 13, 2011
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 13, 2011
Demdem:

Reading more from the op from this same thread, u will notice that somehow he has corrected himself. Hw made mention of the fact that the general most likely allocated more funds to himself than he should.
I don't care what other commentators may be saying, all I know is this sane scenario painted by the op is very well possible in present day Nigeria.

Ok, now that you have defined a scope, let's take matters forward a bit.
How much of Nigeria's money in @OP's estimation did the evil general allocate to himself?
20% of what was reported stolen? 30%? 50%?

What is more, since @OP has actually ceded some ground from his original position, what is with his (and now your) fixation on a single conduit for our stolen wealth?
Abacha plundered from so many different sources, so what does it matter if one man-Friday (Bagudu) has crossed over to the dark side (PDP)?
Did Abacha's son not dine with the PDP until he fell out of favour?

I think you are simply clutching at straws and ought to be ashamed of yourself for buying into @OP's revisionism.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by kinguwem: 7:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
Abacha and his cronies started the business of lifting our crude oil to their private refineries abroad and importing the refined products at the detriment of our refineries.
Only God knows the amount of crude oil they stole daily and how much money they made from sales of the refined products. Such transactions are not in the records of NNPC.
Surviving members of the powerful cabal are benefitting from the fuel subsidy. God will punish anybody who wants to delibrately misinform nigerians of the deeds of the late dictator and his cronies.
Where do illegal bungers take fuel to? What is the relationship between the bungers, the militants, the military and NNPC officials?
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Cine(m): 7:46pm On Dec 13, 2011
Abacha made corruption legal - Human rights watch.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Demdem(m): 7:49pm On Dec 13, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Ok, now that you have defined a scope, let's take matters forward a bit.
How much of Nigeria's money in @OP's estimation did the evil general allocate to himself?
20% of what was reported stolen? 30%? 50%?

What is more, since @OP has actually ceded some ground from his original position, what is with his (and now your) fixation on a single conduit for our stolen wealth?
Abacha plundered from so many different sources, so what does it matter if o
ne man-Friday (Bagudu) has now crossed over to the dark side (PDP)?
Did Abacha's son not dine with the PDP until he fell out of favour?

I think you are simply clutching at straws and ought to be ashamed of yourself for buying into @OP's revisionism.

I didn't define any scope, I only reminded of what the op said which u delibrately ommitted.
Let me state it clearly for u and spare me this epistle of urs, am presently mobile.
Was abacha corrupt - most likely he was. Infact, my guts tells me he was.
Is the scenario painted by the op possible - of cos yes considering the present nigerian context.

Please lay ur frustrations about my opinion on this issue on someone else, I don't need to be ashamed to state my opinion, not even in a faceless forum like this. I know u probably have a personality to protect here. Goodluck to u.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by success4(m): 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2011
GenBuhari: You dazed me to the marrow! It seems you had a dream where ABACHA begged
you to carry this nasty activities  angry angry angry
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 13, 2011
Still waiting for facts from OP as opposed to the ridiculous conjecture.
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 13, 2011
Wait, HOW OLD ARE THE POSTERS ON THIS FORUM because a lot of you seem not to know what the hell your talking about. Abacha the killer? The same murderer that is the reason why Kudirat Abiola has a street named after her out here in New York?! You gotta be kidding me!!! I cry for your generation
Re: Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. by Beaf: 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
It is clear that Buhari is scared of being exposed through his links with Abacha, so his leutenants have been all over the place, attempting to launder his image in indirect ways. This thread is just another. I want to post these again, because the truth needs to be known:

You will also notice that those who scream loudest against the removal of the subsidy are reps of those companies.

Does the average Nigerian who refuses to read know that during Abacha's regime, with Buhari at the head of the PTF racket; the refineries were deliberately run down and monies for their turn around maintenance routinely vanished into thin air? But wait for the cracker! At the time this lot were running down our local refineries, Abacha actually used FG funds to build a personal refinery in Sierra Leone, so he and his cronies could milk the nation dry as a fuel importers!
That refinery was acquired through the vehicles, Integrated Investment Trust Limited and Nasimatume Investments Limited jointly owned by Abacha and his National Security Adviser, Ismaila Gwarzo.

Needless to say, the Abacha refinery in Sierra Leone is now cobwebbed. Many of our ex-generals are in similar rackets, they destroy the refineries at home, while having shares or ownership of refineries abroad to milk the nation dry. Behind those names listed, is an ex-general or two.

Buhari, IBB and Abacha aare all rowers of the same corrupt boat.

[size=14pt]The Canonisation of Abacha[/size]
Yusuph Olaniyonu
13 June 2008

Lagos — On Monday, the newspapers had a major, yet curious, news story on their front pages. The story was from the tenth year remembrance prayer held for late General Sani Abacha, who was head of state between November 17, 1993 and June 8, 1998, a period one could rightly referred to as the "dark days of the Nigerian nation".

According to the story, two former heads-of-state, Generals Ibrahim Babangida and Muhammadu Buhari, who are Abacha's predecessors, in their speech at the remembrance prayers said Abacha never stole any money while in power.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200806130494.html

[size=14pt]Nigeria Wants to Re-Write History[/size]
. . .
Recently, this tradition has been strengthened by the entry of three former dictators who ruled Nigeria from 1983 to 1999. General Mohammadu Buhari, General Ibrahim Babangida and General Abdusalami Abubakar, three of which came together after perhaps a reunion of three men united to inform Nigerians and not much less than the world that the late General Sani Abacha did not steal money from Nigeria. This event marked a clear turning point in the growth of interest in Nigeria's former leaders try to deceive or back of the hands of the immediate past history, because the country's president, Olusegun Obasanjo also made the recovery of these huge sums of money.

November 10, 1998, the government of General Abubakar Abdusalami announced to the world that his government had made a great recovery from general Sani Abacha, loot the coffers of the country, the government put at N64 billion. Nigerians greeted him and thought that money was sizably reflected in the economic development of the nation or socially used to develop the country through simple repairs or contructions roads, and perhaps the supply of hospital equipment in our hospital General, but neither was the case.

General Sani Abacha was there first, because there was Ibrahim Babangida before him as one of the first presidents of the military world, without seeing a Vice President and Gen Mohammadu Buhari was himself overthrown by Ibrahim Babangida Buhari believed that a stab in his way back back in 1985, Nigerians heard the announcement of the Abacha military leader of the just undid that the theft of his money in Nigeria through his personal friends Buhari, Babangida and Abdusalami. What a historic turning point in the life of our nation, Nigeria. Nigeria yet to complain because she knew that history was being done. Nigeria must mourn for now. Fernand Braudel wrote

http://www.content4reprint.com/culture-and-society/social-issues/nigeria-wants-to-re-write-history.htm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Kamala Harris' Niece, Meena Is Married To A Nigerian, Nicolas Ajagu / How Dasuki Arrested Buhari In 1985 & Destroyed His 1st Marriage / Atiku, Saraki, Bruce, Fayose, Dogara React As Osinbajo Survives Helicopter Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.