Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,453 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Let's Discuss Salaries - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Let's Discuss Salaries (62343 Views)

Why Do People Keep Their Salaries Secret? / Police Teargas Nigerdock Staff Over Protest Of Unpaid Salaries (Pics) / AIT Workers' Salaries Not Paid For Eight Months? (An Appeal To Raymond Dokpesi) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cityofsin: 6:53am On May 21, 2012
Sweetheart I applied, took the PST, went through rounds of case interviews and got an offer so I know what I am saying.

As i said in my previous post, ANALYSTS do not earn 85 - 100k dollars P/A. Associates, who have gone through top 7 mba programs in the US mostly do earn that much, not analysts. i will repeat again so people will not be misled, 1st year analysts/youth corpers do not earn even the 50k you say, I know becuase I got an offer.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by deenee: 4:27pm On May 21, 2012
The salary estimates provided by cityofsin for Mckinsey and Co is not far off. I am aware that they do structure their entire package according to country specifics and they are not a charity!

I have a friend who is an ex-employee in the US and was seconded to India for two years and who was not compensated by the going rates in the US but that obtainable in India.

This said, I was to add at this point that most discussions I have seen on this thread about career growth is always centered on pay alone. I think that this kind of mentality/mindset is off tangent. No doubt, "money" is a primary motivator, but what about the long term benefits?
More so, considering "how much you want to earn" above every other parameter tends to be-cloud our sense of logic and ability to make well balanced long term career decisions.

In the States, most entry level graduates wouldn't mind series of internships with companies that would be a CV booster even in unpaid capacity. Perhaps, it is time for us to consider a paradigm shift on this subject matter.

4 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cityofsin: 6:16pm On May 21, 2012
Very good point about career growth.

On the otherhand, I was going to ask, does anyone know what investment banking like Fbn capital and stanbic (I hear they are the best) pays their juniot analysts/entry level and associates, salary, bonus, benefits etc.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by panaroma: 9:53am On May 23, 2012
Hello good people.. I would like to know about Mckinsey.. I have gone to their website.. Buh since you have been given an offer wud like to know more about the test and interview. Also wot degree holder they are looking for. Thanks
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Sagamite(m): 1:09am On Oct 23, 2012
panaroma: Hello good people.. I would like to know about Mckinsey.. I have gone to their website.. Buh since you have been given an offer wud like to know more about the test and interview. Also wot degree holder they are looking for. Thanks

You will never get into Mckinsey!

Trust me.

Find something more aligned to your level and don't waste your time.

15 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by ajayioluwatobi(m): 9:50am On Oct 23, 2012
Apart from oil and gas i think construction professionals are the next, either engineers, architects, buiders, quantity surveyors, working with a multinational company they are paid 270-300K For entry level.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by omidan21: 7:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
Pls house.a very urgent question here.I am a youth corper serving here in ibadan.i am considering submitting applications to banks en telecomms as well as other companies here but I am been biased as per salry structure here in ibadan.do u think d salary. Of an entry level customer service working in a bank or telecomms in lagos wld receive d same amt of someone in d same position in ibadan cause the standard of living in ibadan is relatively low to that of lagos.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Sagamite(m): 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2012
omidan21: Pls house.a very urgent question here.I am a youth corper serving here in ibadan.i am considering submitting applications to banks en telecomms as well as other companies here but I am been biased as per salry structure here in ibadan.do u think d salary. Of an entry level customer service working in a bank or telecomms in lagos wld receive d same amt of someone in d same position in ibadan cause the standard of living in ibadan is relatively low to that of lagos.

The standard of living or the cost of living?

4 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by omidan21: 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
Sagamite:

Th
e standard of living or the cost of living?

Ooh yes sooo sorrry,d cost of living.plss oi need answers.thanks
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
deenee: The salary estimates provided by cityofsin for Mckinsey and Co is not far off. I am aware that they do structure their entire package according to country specifics and they are not a charity!

I have a friend who is an ex-employee in the US and was seconded to India for two years and who was not compensated by the going rates in the US but that obtainable in India.

This said, I was to add at this point that most discussions I have seen on this thread about career growth is always centered on pay alone. I think that this kind of mentality/mindset is off tangent. No doubt, "money" is a primary motivator, but what about the long term benefits?
More so, considering "how much you want to earn" above every other parameter tends to be-cloud our sense of logic and ability to make well balanced long term career decisions.

In the States, most entry level graduates wouldn't mind series of internships with companies that would be a CV booster even in unpaid capacity. Perhaps, it is time for us to consider a paradigm shift on this subject matter.

A thousand applause for the highlighted statement.
However, such mentality is driven by poverty. The average Nigerian wants to beat poverty at all cost and a very few want to beat it legitimately.

However, most of these people are inexperienced and will find out soon enough that it takes more than money to have a satisfying career.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Sagamite(m): 12:29pm On Oct 24, 2012
BlueDiva:

A thousand applause for the highlighted statement.
However, such mentality is driven by poverty. The average Nigerian wants to beat poverty at all cost and a very few want to beat it legitimately.

However, most of these people are inexperienced and will find out soon enough that it takes more than money to have a satisfying career.

Well said!

I have come to this conclusion for years but unfortunately the pathetic mentality of an average Nigerian is to judge success by how much money someone makes.

The one that makes most money is the most successful in the average Nigerian's view.

There are teachers I respect more than investment bankers.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by AjanleKoko: 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2012
@BD and Saga,
It's not out of place, guys, at least not for the average African.
The life of an average Nigerian or African is one of deprivation and perception of lack. The lack is over-emphasized in the society. To the point where most people have little value for life itself, only money and what they think it can bring. A doctor won't even look at you if he won't get paid. A government official would not want to do any work at all unless they get a bribe.

Even a desk clerk for an airline will try to rag you as you're boarding the aircraft. That's a relatively comfortable person.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
AjanleKoko: @BD and Saga,
The life of an average Nigerian or African is one of deprivation and perception of lack. The lack is over-emphasized in the society. To the point where most people have little value for life itself, only money and what they think it can bring. A doctor won't even look at you if he won't get paid. A government official would not want to do any work at all unless they get a bribe.

Even a desk clerk for an airline will try to rag you as you're boarding the aircraft. That's a relatively comfortable person.

LOL. . . there is lack o, for real.
A lot of young people are so impoverished that they feel a big salary is the solution.

Young people without experience want to earn more than a manager with 20 yrs experience.

Money is a motivation no doubt but people with fantastic salaries have resigned and gone for lower paying jobs because of lack of job satisfaction.

Meanwhile is there any Nigerian worker who doesn't earn some extra cash by the side?

The banker sells forex he got dubiously from his bank for extra bucks.
The fuel attendant collects extra from bike and jerrycan.
The doorman from fast food joints will beg for you to drop something.
The check in man at the airport will beg for some change.
The govt official will not do your work except you pay etc

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by AjanleKoko: 5:16pm On Oct 24, 2012
BlueDiva:

LOL. . . there is lack o, for real.
A lot of young people are so impoverished that they feel a big salary is the solution.

Of course there is lack. But there is an even bigger perception of lack, which is worse than the actual lack.
There are poor people everywhere. But in Nigeria, poverty is made out to be a mortal crime. That's what I mean by 'perception of lack'. Everybody, even the high earners, are so dissatisfied with their jobs and their lives. Even the ones who are relatively better off will paint a gory picture of lack.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2012
Ajanlekoko and hin money threads sha!

At the risk of sounding trite, all these glamorous and big pay salaries aren't always what they seem from outside jare.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Sagamite(m): 8:28pm On Oct 24, 2012
AjanleKoko: @BD and Saga,

You are absolutely fcking right!

I guess I can sit my arsse in London and be chatting opaata because I don't see real poverty everyday and there is a safety net if things fail. grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Wallie(m): 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2012
"Having money isn't everything, not having it is." Kanye

Before traveling abroad in the early 90s, I had fantasized about eating a whole roasted chicken by myself. Once abroad, one of the first few things I did with my money was to buy a whole roasted chicken. For whatever reason, the derived satisfaction I got didn't seem to match up with the cravings in my fantasy! grin

We tend to ascribe exaggerated worth to things of real/perceived value that we lack. As a person, I tend to desire and value things just out of reach than things within reach. It’s like a rat race; always trying to reach for the next step! Some might define that as having ambition but when does it end, if ever? Sounds like I’m ranting and off topic! smiley

Anyway, I do agree with previous posters that money or what we perceive to lack is not everything!

4 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yemmyma: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2012
Wallie: "Having money isn't everything, not having it is." Kanye

Before traveling abroad in the early 90s, I had fantasized about eating a whole roasted chicken by myself. Once abroad, one of the first few things I did with my money was to buy a whole roasted chicken. For whatever reason, the derived satisfaction I got didn't seem to match up with the cravings in my fantasy! grin

We tend to ascribe exaggerated worth to things of real/perceived value that we lack. As a person, I tend to desire and value things just out of reach than things within reach. It’s like a rat race; always trying to reach for the next step! Some might define that as having ambition but when does it end, if ever? Sounds like I’m ranting and off topic! smiley

Anyway, I do agree with previous posters that money or what we perceive to lack is not everything!

Maslow said it all. People will always want more.

Nigeria is one of those countries where been average is getting dated.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by AjanleKoko: 11:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
naijababe: Ajanlekoko and hin money threads sha!

At the risk of sounding trite, all these glamorous and big pay salaries aren't always what they seem from outside jare.

No be me start the thread o angry
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 25, 2012
AjanleKoko:

No be me start the thread o angry

grin grin grin grin grin. Ok sir!!!
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by ckamal: 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hello house,does anyone have an idea of how much C&I Leasing Plc pays for an Admin Position,i am a degree holder with over 2 years experience and i have also scaled through series of interviews with them,i would like to weigh my options if everything finally clicks as expected since i stay on the mainland and the company is at Lekki.Thanks
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tonym1(m): 4:20pm On Oct 31, 2012
800K PER MONTH - IT

COMPANY NOT DISCLOSED
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cyraxjay: 8:30pm On Aug 03, 2013
United Nations, ECOWAS and minstry of foreign affairs (embassies) pay jumbo salaries in Nigeria as well.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by jerryben12: 3:54am On Aug 11, 2013
More contributions needed.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 20, 2013
what is the salary of Journalist in the
print media like Compass,Punch,This Day,Daily
Sun,Hallmark etc
I got invited for an interview with one of them, I just
want to know the range of their pay. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 20, 2013
You can reply me through my mail tesiday@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by jerryben12: 4:25am On Oct 13, 2013
Any Journalist in the house?
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yassjib: 9:17am On Jul 22, 2014
afolayangs: House pls help on fed government parastatals like NDIC, CBN, BOI, NEXIM, NEPZA etc and what can someone wth 3-4 yrs experince and UK Msc be offerred. Tnx all
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yassjib: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2014
Please house give little elaboration on these. Tnx
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yassjib: 12:48am On Jul 27, 2014
afolayangs: House pls help on fed government parastatals like NDIC, CBN, BOI, NEXIM, NEPZA etc and what can someone wth 3-4 yrs experince and UK Msc be offerred. Tnx all
pls can anyone say something about ITF, NEPZA, BOI, NIPC, SMEDAN etc. Their salary, allowances for a level 8 staff? Tnx
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yassjib: 12:17am On Jul 31, 2014
yassjib: pls can anyone say something about ITF, NEPZA, BOI, NIPC, SMEDAN etc. Their salary, allowances for a level 8 staff? Tnx
pls can anyone help in the above case?
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Senorita123(f): 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2016
cityofsin:
Sweetheart I applied, took the PST, went through rounds of case interviews and got an offer so I know what I am saying.

As i said in my previous post, ANALYSTS do not earn 85 - 100k dollars P/A. Associates, who have gone through top 7 mba programs in the US mostly do earn that much, not analysts. i will repeat again so people will not be misled, 1st year analysts/youth corpers do not earn even the 50k you say, I know becuase I got an offer.
Hello cityofsin, I saw ur posts and I would like you to be of help to me. I was sent a form from mc Kinsey hr and I will be grateful if you can put me through as u said u were given an offer by them. Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senior Lawyer Wears Torn Gown And Wig To Court As Nigerians React. Photos / 'Major Dagger' Drilling Students At The Nigerian Army Depot / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.