Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,775 members, 7,955,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:46 PM

Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! (6406 Views)

Nigerian Passport Can Take You To 44 Countries Without Visa….[see List] / Renewing Nigerian Passport In The Uk / Nigerian Passport: Current Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 13, 2011
Hey Folks,

I need help. How can one get two (Nigerian) passport.

I currently have one but want another due to limitation am having(I work in Ghana), and its difficult to apply for visa when am back home because it takes almost 1month to get my passport out.

I heard its a criminal offence to have two passport (How authentic is this info). Is it possible to get an official letter from my employer due to the nature of my job.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 10:19am On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

Hey Folks,

I need help. How can one get two (Nigerian) passport.

I currently have one but want another due to limitation am having(I work in Ghana), and its difficult to apply for visa when am back home because it takes almost 1month to get my passport out.

I heard its a criminal offence to have two passport (How authentic is this info). Is it possible to get an official letter from my employer due to the nature of my job.

Yes its a criminal offence to have two passports and you will not be able to get another passport because your biometric details are taken already.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 13, 2011
@Justwise,

Thats limited, my colleagues at the office have two passports from same country of origin(An english and south african) with different passport nos, I wonder why it should be a criminal offence in Nigeria to do that.

It shows we are limited in our immigration policy.

And applying for Visa takes ages for them to give you back your passport, not that they will even take a photocopy of it to work with it.

Really frustrating

Thanks alot for the information.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 10:36am On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

@Justwise,

Thats limited, my colleagues at the office have two passports from same country of origin(An english and south african) with different passport nos,  I wonder why it should be a criminal offence in Nigeria to do that.

It shows we are limited in our immigration policy.

And applying for Visa takes ages for them to give you back your passport, not that they will even take a photocopy of it to work with it.

Really frustrating

Thanks alot for the information.

I don't think its legal to have two active passports in SA only of you are a diplomat where you are allowed to have the 'red' passport and the standard passport.
Your colleague could be committing criminal offence.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 13, 2011
He just confirmed having it and not an offence because he got a letter from our employer, which he used to submit to the Government to clearify his intentions for having two.

Which is what i think of doing, but looks like my government won't give a S***T about this request.

I can as well try and see how it goes,

smiley smiley
justwise:

I don't think its legal to have two active passports in SA only of you are a diplomat where you are allowed to have the 'red' passport and the standard passport.
Your colleague could be committing criminal offence.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by KennyG6(m): 10:45am On Dec 13, 2011
Nothing illegal about having two "active" passports, I work with people who have 2 EU passports; one is held at the office to ease visa applications for urgent business trips and the other one they use for ID & other travelling. Not sure if this applies to naija passport sha,
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Vicjustice: 10:53am On Dec 13, 2011
Kenny_G:

Nothing illegal about having two "active" passports, I work with people who have 2 EU passports; one is held at the office to ease visa applications for urgent business trips and the other one they use for ID & other travelling. Not sure if this applies to naija passport sha,
   It's ok to have 2 passports belonging to 2 different countries as a dual citizen of both countries, but it is illegal to have 2 valid passport belonging to one country. One passport has to be cancelled for the other one to be valid otherwise, there is a violation somewhere, and it is your responsibility to declare to the authority if there is an error resulting in your holding 2 passports from one country: It is an international offence to be in possession of two valid passport from one country, there must be an error or false declaration or deliberate representation by the holder for two passport to be in use: for example, if you go to the authority to declare your passport missing, and you are issued another one, the authority would cancel the previous (missing one). And if however you found the missing one, you are prohibited to use it even if you decide not to return it to the authority.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 10:55am On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

He just confirmed having it and not an offence because he got a letter from our employer, which he used to submit to the Government to clearify his intentions for having two.

Which is what i think of doing, but looks like my government won't give a S***T about this request.

I can as well try and see how it goes,

smiley smiley

Kenny_G:

Having two active passports could be linked to the nature of your job and that has to be part of govt policy regarding the type of job you do. I don't think its for everybody.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 13, 2011
justwise:

Having two active passports could be linked to the nature of your job and that has to be part of govt policy regarding the type of job you do. I don't think its for everybody.

Thats where i come in, I get a letter from my employer, stating the nature of my job, similar to what KennyG described above, then see how it would be handled.

Its just that i want to be very sure before going into this, I wouldn't want a situation some immigration personal collects money from me to get a passport only for me to get involved with a funny "crime".
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 11:16am On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

Thats where i come in, I get a letter from my employer, stating the nature of my job, similar to what KennyG described above, then see how it would be handled.

Its just that i want to be very sure before going into this, I wouldn't want a situation some immigration personal collects money from me to get a passport only for me to get involved with a funny "crime".

Honestly there is no two ways about this. . . if the nature of your job requires you to have two active passports your employer will tell you, and the application will be made through the official channel.

Please ask questions around your office to avoid getting in trouble.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 13, 2011
@justwise, Its sounds funny to them(my colleagues), for me saying is a criminal offence in Nigeria to have two passport, About 7 people i have asked most from EU countries said they have two passports. That is funny why i havent applied for it yet.

It comes in handy when i want to apply for a visa to work in another country and i still have to go home for my break while they work on that.

The procedure they took (getting a letter from our employer and forwarding to their authority) is what am taking.

Am still waiting an approval letter from my employer.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by KennyG6(m): 11:29am On Dec 13, 2011
Vicjustice:

It's ok to have 2 passports belonging to 2 different countries as a dual citizen of both countries, but it is illegal to have 2 valid passport belonging to one country. One passport has to be cancelled for the other one to be valid otherwise, there is a violation somewhere, and it is your responsibility to declare to the authority if there is an error resulting in your holding 2 passports from one country: .
I disagree, I know a few people who hold 2 EU passport at the same time
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Vicjustice: 11:30am On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

Thats where i come in,  I get  a letter from my employer, stating the nature of my job, similar to what KennyG described above, then see how it would be handled.

There is no nature of job that would require a person to have double valid passport because, this is an immigration offence in the first place.
  There is only one internationally acceptable case of being able to have clone national passports. The exception cases are, for example if you regularly travel to a country like Israel and to countries that do not recognize isreal. You may apply for your country to give you a passport to travel to isreal and then you use the other one for the other countries, that way they dont know you have been to isreal and cant kick you out of that country. But besides that it is very impossible, and if you use the passport other than for this very purpose, you would be prosecuted. So, it is illegal to have 2 passport belonging to one country.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 11:35am On Dec 13, 2011
Vicjustice:

There is no nature of job that would require a person to have double valid passport because, this is an immigration offence in the first place.
  There is only one internationally acceptable case of being able to have clone national passports. The only case is if you regularly travel to Israel and to countries that do not recognize isreal. You may apply for your country to give you a passport to travel to isreal and then you use the other one for the other countries, that way they dont know you have been to isreal and cant kick you out of that country. But besides that it is very impossible, and if you use the passport other than for this very purpose, you would be prosecuted. So, it is illegal to have 2 passport belonging to one country.

Bros certain govt 'agencies' are allowed to have two apart from diplomas. Though like you said. . . they only use it for 'work' purposes.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 11:36am On Dec 13, 2011
Kenny_G:

They can have two but its illegal, is that simple.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by KennyG6(m): 11:44am On Dec 13, 2011
justwise:

They can have two but its illegal, is that simple.
How is it illegal? When the 2 passports were issued by the home office?
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Vicjustice: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2011
Kenny_G:

Please, be reasonable here.
  Except in some rare cases with compelling reasons, you can't hold 2 valid passport from one country.
   Having 2 passport from one country does not mean that both passports are valid. My wife has 2 passports, but only one is valid in the national database. And though she could easily use the invalid passport and walk her way through any EU country border (as an EU citizen), but she dare not use it because it is an offence.
  There is nothing wrong in having Italian and Irish passport, but it is not possible to have 2 valid passport from one country, and it is a violation to use an invalid passport even if you happen to be in possession on it
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by werepeLeri: 11:49am On Dec 13, 2011
@OP

Your colleague has two traveling passports and you are told it is an offense in Nigeria, yet, you question why it is an offense in Nigeria, does it occur to you that each country makes different laws on different issues? Example- do you think it is ever possible for someone to hold two British passports or two American passports? No, it is illegal. Same in Nigeria. If you are caught with two valid passports from the same country at the border posts abroad - you risk being sent back home.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 11:52am On Dec 13, 2011
Kenny_G:

How is it illegal? When the 2 passports were issued by the home office?

Home Office will not issue two active passports to 'ordinary' citizen. If you doubt me provide HomeOffice link where that is stated.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 13, 2011
Something is not clear somewhere here,

@VIjustise, Its oilfield operation where you travel around the world for oil service contract.

These people all have Valid international passports, both passport from the same country but different passport no.
and they travel most times with them, but when they require a visa, they submit one, then use the other to work in another country. They do not and never had problem with that.

Varified from Norway citizen.
Varified from EU citizen.(UK to be precise),
Varified from SA citizen.

So, the question, is it possible to get that exception from my goverment.

Also, My passport is almost full, if i get another passport, will they give me same passport no. or they just cancel the almost full passport. N/B i still have a valid visas in that.

Thanks for all the info
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by KennyG6(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
justwise:

Home Office will not issue two active passports to 'ordinary' citizen. If you doubt me provide HomeOffice link where that is stated.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/passports-a-to-z/s-topics/second-passport
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2011
Kenny_G:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/passports-a-to-z/s-topics/second-passport

This is an abstract from the link you provided and i have just highlighted key words there :

. .In certain circumstances frequent travellers may be eligible for a second passport. If you feel that you need a second passport you must submit your existing passport with an application for an additional new passport. Your application must be accompanied by an official letter from your employer (or on company headed paper if self employed) setting out why you need a second passport. You should also make a note under "other information" on the application form that you are applying for a second passport and do not wish your current passport to be cancelled. Second passports will only be issued where there is an ongoing and compelling need for frequent travel and it is likely that visas will need to be applied for whilst other travel is undertaken, . .

As i pointed out to you before. . it has to do with the nature of your job and it follows official channel. Its not just for anybody, read my previous posts.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by justwise(m): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
Vikin:

Something is not clear somewhere here,

@VIjustise, Its oilfield operation where you travel around the world for oil service contract.

These people all have Valid international passports, both passport from the same country but different passport no.
and they travel most times with them, but when they require a visa, they submit one, then use the other to work in another country. They do not and never had problem with that.

Varified from Norway citizen.
Varified from EU citizen.(UK to be precise),
Varified from SA citizen.

So, the question, is it possible to get that exception from my goverment.

Also, My passport is almost full, if i get another passport, will they give me same passport no. or they just cancel the almost full passport. N/B i still have a valid visas in that.

Thanks for all the info

That is what you need to do, get a letter from your office and present it to immigration, they will make their decision based on the nature of your job.
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by dalebutt1: 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2011
Now [b]Vicj [/b]have you raised your head from the sand yet? to see that someone can have 2 passports from same issuing authority on compelling grounds eh? coz your head is always buried in the sand when you pass comments, hopefully, this will in future, deter you from keeping your head buried in the sand in a public discussion. I take it you have now learned to keep your head afloat
Re: Help, I Need Two Nigerian Passport! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 13, 2011
Thanks yall for all your input, much appreciated smiley smiley

(1)

Travelling To Newyork for summer? I need a travel Budy! / Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month / 5 Actions To Take When In An Automobile Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.