Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon (11306 Views)

Buhari's 2016 Budget Speech: “the Budget Of Change” / President Jonathan Live In Enugu / Text Of Jonathan's 2013 Budget Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by executinal(m): 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2011
I missed the news, well hope to read it through daily's anyway.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by bodejohn(m): 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2011
warrior01:

is it now about the messenger or the message being passed?  it's now i understand the saying that 'if men were God,
Gej, be careful they just hate you for no reason

Without a reason indeed! Like Libya hated Ghadaffi without a reason.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Ttola(m): 2:29pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=14pt]im still getting my head around the 900b for security, thats a quater of the total budget yet we've never been so insecure, [/size]
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by VoodooDoll(m): 2:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
Budget breakdown is here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-824151.0.html

Defence is bigger than Education, Health and Works combined!
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by aljharem3: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2011
Ttola:

[size=14pt]im still getting my head around the 900b for security, thats a quater of the total budget yet we've never been so insecure, [/size]
VoodooDoll:

It is obvious why security budget would be higher

As we can see, Boko haram is destroying this country slowly alongside Mend and Opc.

The government got it this time around.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Beaf: 2:46pm On Dec 13, 2011
VoodooDoll:

The current situation dictates that. No?
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by VoodooDoll(m): 2:47pm On Dec 13, 2011
@alj_harem

I respectfully disagree.

The insecurity in Nigeria was not caused by a low defence budget but by poor education, poor health and wretched infrastructure.

I would bet you that the defence budget, if looked into, will show huge amounts to be spent on things and issues that cannot tackle Boko Haram.  This budget is a recipe for future upheaval.

I would rather we educate Almajiri and provide healthcare and infrastructure to them than BOMB them to smitherings. They are Nigerians after all.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by aljharem3: 2:51pm On Dec 13, 2011
VoodooDoll:

@alj_harem

I respectfully disagree.

The insecurity in Nigeria was not caused by a low defence budget but by poor education, poor health and wretched infrastructure.

I would bet you that the defence budget, if looked into, will show huge amounts to be spent on things and issues that cannot tackle Boko Haram.  This budget is a recipe for future upheaval.

I would rather we educate Almajiri and provide healthcare and infrastructure to them than BOMB them to smitherings. They are Nigerians after all.

Thanks but I also disagree

the case of armed robbery, thuggery and co can be liken to those attributes you mentioned

In cases such as Boko haram, OPC, MEND etc That has nothing to do with health, education etc

As for aljmajiris, it has a lot to do with the government investing more on the educational sector, Yes I agree with that.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by aljharem3: 2:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
2012 Fiscal year budget breakdown:
Capital Expenditure: N1.32 Trillion,Reccurent(non debt) Expenditure: N2.472 Trillion,Statutory Transfer: N398 Billion,Debt servicing: N560 Billion
Other sectors
Security: N921.91 Billion
Power: N161.42 Billion
Works: N180.8 Billion
Education: N400.15 Billion
Health: N282.77 Billion
Agriculture: N78.98 Billion
Water Resources: N39 Billion
Petroleum Resources: N59.66 Billion
Aviation: N49.23 Billion
Transportation: N54.8 Billion
Land and Housing; N24.9 Billion
Niger Delta: N59.7 Billion
Science and Tech: N30.84 Billion

FCT : N45.59 Billion
Communication and ICT: N18.31 Billion

LOL I find the budget funny though

if FCT and N/D have more budget than Housing, aviation and S/T. then it shows the state of our science and education sector in Nigeria.

University of Nssuka, has a very well sound science and technology school in it, or so I have heard.

Why not invest more there so the PhD students can put their creativity to test ?
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 13, 2011
Cant comment now until I get a full text of the budget speech.But I have noticed some shallow minded individuals posting things like why soldier behind the president,why bend his head to read,why is he not using promter,why is he not this and that shows the kind of low level thinking people that come here to oppose the administration of GEJ.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by mcgboye(m): 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2011
So subsidy is gone, finally.

I know some people will say he did not mention that. well, that is the point. the fact that he did not include allocation for fuel subsidy means that the subsidy is gone. I just thought i'd mention that to prevent unncecessary arguments and names-calling that is prevalent here.

Over N900 to tackle manufactured insecurity. Hope we aren't planning another amnesty programme for the Boko Haram.

Rice importation will be banned next year, yet there's no reaonable, well-defined programme to ensure local farmers will be able to produce enough for us to eat. Meaning demand will be higher than supply, and an immediate increase in price. simple economics. Smuggling activities will also increase.

We keep solving problems on the surface, instead of tackling it wholesomely.

It is well with Nigeria. One day, we'll be great. Of that, I am very sure
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by VoodooDoll(m): 3:35pm On Dec 13, 2011
Only in Nigeria will we have a civilian president need a Soldier to stand behind him. What function does that soldier serve, is he counting lice or inspecting GEJ's ogo?

Also I believe the defence budget was N348bn last year, why is there a N600bn increase to N920bn in 2011.

It seems some GEJ supporters cannot take objective criticism (note I am not including BEAF in this, as he has been objective on this thread so far).
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 13, 2011
Only in Nigeria will we have a civilian president need a Soldier to stand behind him. What function does that soldier serve, is he counting lice or inspecting GEJ's ogo?

Also I believe the defence budget was N348bn last year, why is there a N600bn increase to N920bn in 2011.

It seems some GEJ supporters cannot take objective criticism (note I am not including BEAF in this, as he has been objective on this thread so far).

That's his aide-de-camp Lt col Ojogbane Adegbe, is that really bothering you that his ADC is standing behind him-------hmmmmm notin wey pesin no go see
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by wesley80(m): 3:47pm On Dec 13, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Which of your ignorant rant above qualifies as 'objective criticism'?
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 13, 2011
wesley80:

Which of your ignorant rant above qualifies as 'objective criticism'?

I beg make u ask am again!
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by VoodooDoll(m): 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2011
^^^^^^

It would seem you are really scum and your ignorance is showing through.

In a civilised society we do not need a military man standing behing the president when he is giving a budget speech. We could have had the Flag, the Coat of Arms, the Presidential seal.  But you are SCUM and a CRETIN!

Why wasnt it a plain clothed security personnel (SSS, Brigade of Guards etc). But it is because of silly punks like yourself that Nigeria is held back. You cannot use your brain cells to reason. You truly are SCUM!
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 13, 2011
VoodooDoll:

^^^^^^

In a civilised society we do not need a military man standing behing the president when he is giving a budget speech. We could have had the Flag, the Coat of Arms, the Presidential seal.  But you are SCUM and a CRETIN!

Why wasnt it a plain clothed security personnel (SSS, Brigade of Guards etc). But it is because of silly punks like yourself that Nigeria is held back. You cannot use your brain cells to reason. You truly are SCUM!

Now we know who the SCUM is! So we must do it the way America and Britain do theirs for ur head to know things must not be copied 100%
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Beaf: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Thanks for not including me in your bashing. However, your criticism is not objective. What is your problem with a soldier standing behind GEJ? Have you only just noticed that soldiers always stand behind all our Presidents, from Obj through Yar Adua and now GEJ?

Lastly, does the soldier behind GEJ take away the content of the budget speech? Dude, blind hatred is a killer.

I posted this on your other thread:

The budget for education last year was N304.3bn; for 2012, it is N400.15bn.

Agriculture got N38.5 in 2011, in the 2012 budget, it gets N78.98bn.

Health got N203.34 in 2011; it gets N282.77bn in 2012.

Power got N99bn, in 2012 it gets N161.42bn.

I could go on and on, it is obvious that the 2012 budget is quantums better than the 2011 one and very rightly focused on development; but the OP only wants to make an illiterates analysis, so he cherry picked only a few items from the budget. Not stopping there, he did not give a full breakdown of the security allocation and is going around lying that it is the defence allocation. For your info, the security allocation covers the police, SSS, the various branches of the army and so forth; and while there is a naturally expected increase from last year, it is very reasonable.

Anybody who wants a rational argument not backed up by voodoo logic and stup!dity is free to engage me. Lets bandy real figures and show concrete areas of improvement. I don't wish to argue with anybody that thinks the threat of boko haram can be curbed without spending money; maybe they wish to invoke okija methods or some similarly cuckoo land "solutions."
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by mbulela: 4:06pm On Dec 13, 2011
mcgboye:

Over N900 to tackle manufactured insecurity. Hope we aren't planning another amnesty programme for the Boko Haram.

you be winch?
That is a prophecy that only TB Joshua could have gotten right.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by mcgboye(m): 4:32pm On Dec 13, 2011
Hi Beaf,
I've been informed that you are the pro-GEJ on Nairaland, or one of them at least. Well, maybe you could call me an anti-GEJ, since i've complained bitterly about some of his policies so far. Just like you, I like analysing figures and hard facts since figures dont lie. However, unlike you, I do not call people on NL names and i detest using foul languages. I'll be happy if we could both keep it that way. We are all ifhgting for the same end-result: a better Nigeria.

1. I've raised a pertinent question about the pending ban on rice importation earlier. maybe you could respond to that.

2. Security and Defence got between roughly 23% of the budget. Are we at war? We have huge security problem, but we're going to use a quarter of the budget to solve a problem that is self-manufactured and largely caused by massive unemployment in the country!

3. The lofty plan of the president is to ensure that bread is made from 60%wheat and 40% cassava, but i noticed that the president plans to raise import tariff on wheat which is 60% of the bread. That doesn't add up, does it?

4. The president promised to "streamline agencies to reduce cost of governance, ". Well, that's superb. But why not start with the number of ministers we have? It's so overbloated, and they are doing the same work.

5. The president also said that "Equipment and machines in private sector will attract 0% duty". That is excellent.

I have several other questions, but I'll refrain from saying more until i lay my hand on a soft copy of the fulll address. But i have to say, I'm not convinced. it's sad, but it's true
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Datboyfly(m): 4:43pm On Dec 13, 2011
This budget is taking us nowhere and we don't even need any in-depth analysis to figure this out. Just look at the allocation patterns. We have an overall budget split of about 70:30 between recurrent and capital expenditure, i.e. you're planning to spend only about 30%(1.32 trillion naira) on capital expenditure (building critical infrastructure necessary for economic activity) while the rest goes to recurrent expenditure (mostly government wages and salaries ). With this kind of spending you know you're in trouble as a nation. We cannot seriously hope for any meaningful development with this kind of spending.

If we then take the analysis further and look at quality of spending and factor in considerations such as wastage and pilfering that will occur (mostly to the 30% meant for building infrastructure, since our government officials will somehow always get theirs) you realize immediately that this simply is another episode in the circus that we call our democracy.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by dayokanu(m): 4:56pm On Dec 13, 2011
A Retardeen budget, from a Retardeen President
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by EvilBrain1(m): 4:58pm On Dec 13, 2011
So he's removed the fuel subsidy, yet capital spending only went up by 15%. The bulk of the money is being flushed down the toilet that is the federal recurrent budget.

I guess it was too much to ask that he do something sensible with the money like build some new roads or a railway.

Well, na una vote for am sha. Enjoy your PDP.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Beaf: 5:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
Evil Brain:

So he's removed the fuel subsidy, yet capital spending only went up by 15%. The bulk of the money is being flushed down the toilet that is the federal recurrent budget.

I guess it was too much to ask that he do something sensible with the money like build some new roads or a railway.

Well, na una vote for am sha. Enjoy your PDP.

The subsidy funds will be administered by a committee outside of the budget. We need to wait for further announcements on the solid capital and welfare projects it will support.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by ITbomb(m): 5:10pm On Dec 13, 2011
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by KokoBeware: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2011

In a civilised society we do not need a military man standing behing the president when he is giving a budget speech. We could have had the Flag, the Coat of Arms, the Presidential seal.  But you are SCUM and a CRETIN!

Please who defines a "civilised society", if u dnt have any other obejective thng too say cn u jst shut upppppp>>>>, its not compulsory for u to comment, if Obama had a Millitary man behind him u wldnt be asking him to explain why, if GEJ decide to have a DIBIAAA, behind him how e concern uuuuu,
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by ITbomb(m): 5:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
for those of u looking for the subsidy fund in the budget , It is not part of the budget , a special body is to be setup to manage the freed funds
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by mcgboye(m): 5:17pm On Dec 13, 2011
Beaf,
How can you have a body who will manage a fund that is almost a third of our budget? For God's sake, this body is not accountable to any Nigerian Why do we have Ministers and special advisers and economic group and council of elders and etc, only to have another body that cannot be questioned by the Nigerian people. It cannot be taken to court since they are not created by an act of law! Com'on, we shouldn't be falling for such cheap gimmick. January 1st is just 18days away, yet we still "need to wait for further announcements on the solid capital and welfare projects it will support". I know it's hard to support the president when he's making it difficult for you to do so, but you'll need to come up with a better explanation or justification for that.

Did anyone read the KPMG Forenssic report on the Internal audit and compliance review of NNPC? And someone pls tell me why nobody has lost his job in that house of corruption
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Beaf: 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2011
mcgboye:

Hi Beaf,
I've been informed that you are the pro-GEJ on Nairaland, or one of them at least. Well, maybe you could call me an anti-GEJ, since i've complained bitterly about some of his policies so far. Just like you, I like analysing figures and hard facts since figures dont lie. However, unlike you, I do not call people on NL names and i detest using foul languages. I'll be happy if we could both keep it that way. We are all ifhgting for the same end-result: a better Nigeria.

1. I've raised a pertinent question about the pending ban on rice importation earlier. maybe you could respond to that.

There are well developed programmes for agriculture with special focus on rice and cassava. Nigeria spends about N600bn annually on the importation of wheat; GEJ plans to cut that down by investing in local scientific research that has shown that 40% of the wheat content of bread can be replaced with cassava. With this policy, the staggering sums spent on wheat imports will be diverted into local cassava production, creating an eco-system of demand and supply what several hundred billion annually. Think about what that would do for employment and creative entreprenuership with a lowly crop we spat on only yesterday.

Pure genius. cool

mcgboye:

2. Security and Defence got between roughly 23% of the budget. Are we at war? We have huge security problem, but we're going to use a quarter of the budget to solve a problem that is self-manufactured and largely caused by massive unemployment in the country!

Yes.

mcgboye:

3. The lofty plan of the president is to ensure that bread is made from 60%wheat and 40% cassava, but i noticed that the president plans to raise import tariff on wheat which is 60% of the bread. That doesn't add up, does it?

Like I pointed out above, the plan is to replace current imports with local production, jobs and above all, self-belief in local research. There is nothing more important than self-belief to set a nation solidly on the path of development and wealth creation.

mcgboye:

4. The president promised to "streamline agencies to reduce cost of governance, ". Well, that's superb. But why not start with the number of ministers we have? It's so overbloated, and they are doing the same work.

Unfortunately, the number of ministers is etched into the constitution, it isn't whithin GEJ's power to change at a whim. On the other hand, GEJ has launched several proposals for constitutional changes. Let us see what they will bring, especially in the area of true federalism as it affects the number and function of ministers.

mcgboye:

5. The president also said that "Equipment and machines in private sector will attract 0% duty". That is excellent.

I think so too.

mcgboye:

I have several other questions, but I'll refrain from saying more until i lay my hand on a soft copy of the fulll address. But i have to say, I'm not convinced. it's sad, but it's true

Lolzz! You be lawyer? grin
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by Beaf: 5:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
mcgboye:

Beaf,
How can you have a body who will manage a fund that is almost a third of our budget? For God's sake, this body is not accountable to any Nigerian Why do we have Ministers and special advisers and economic group and council of elders and etc, only to have another body that cannot be questioned by the Nigerian people. It cannot be taken to court since they are not created by an act of law! Com'on, we shouldn't be falling for such cheap gimmick. January 1st is just 18days away, yet we still "need to wait for further announcements on the solid capital and welfare projects it will support". I know it's hard to support the president when he's making it difficult for you to do so, but you'll need to come up with a better explanation or justification for that.

We will have to wait for the body to be innuagurated before deciding if it is accountable or not. Every noise the FG has made though, points to full transparency and accountability. Its only a matter of a few short days, so lets wait patiently before concluding.

mcgboye:

Did anyone read the KPMG Forenssic report on the Internal audit and compliance review of NNPC? And someone pls tell me why nobody has lost his job in that house of corruption

To the best of my knowledge, the whole NNPC will soon be gone.
Re: The 2012 Budget Speech By President Jonathan Live At 12 Noon by aljharem3: 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2011
Beaf:

To the best of my knowledge, the whole NNPC will soon be gone.

grin grin grin; lol

sorry beaf but I have a question for u

How does the government intend to remove subsidy and also remove NNPC a federal own Oil company ?

shey you no see say na kasala be this what this fuel subsidy removal palava. LOL

I would really like to this how this turns out. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pack And Go: Buhari & Tinubu To PDP / Risk Cautious Allowance Of Aso Rock Security Operatives Unpaid / Wike Meets With Physically Challenged Indigenes Of Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.